Zorn Evaluates Campbell's Performance

By Sunday morning, Redskins Coach Jim Zorn had had a chance to review the performance of quarterback Jason Campbell, who completed 1 of 7 passes for 10 yards in Saturday night's 17-13 exhibition victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers. Zorn reiterated what he said immediately following the game - that he was pleased with Campbell's decision-making. But he also said he needs more accuracy from his starting quarterback.

"I heard him say it last night," Zorn said. "He wished he had thrown the first pass further. We always teach the receiver picks his angle, and you've got to throw it to the receiver, and it was just a little off. I liked the effort. I'd like more accuracy.

"And then the only throw that I thought was poor was the high throw to Santana Moss for the first down. Really, he should've just pulled that ball down and we should've got an easy completion. But he'll see. He'll see what the problem is.

"He made good decisions on the screens to throw them away, because one time the defensive lineman grabbed our back, and another time they just snuffed it out and we couldn't get it. That was really about it."

Zorn also confirmed, Rick Maese tweets, that the offensive starters will play a half Friday night. We'll have a more thorough breakdown of Zorn's remarks and Campbell's performance later in the day.

Injury Update

Zorn said fullback Mike Sellers (bruised knee) and running back Ladell Betts (strained oblique muscle in his back) should be fine and likely will play in Friday's exhibition against New England. ...

Offensive tackle Chris Samuels, who received treatment on his right knee immediately after the game, "did great," according to Zorn. Samuels almost didn't play, and Zorn said that training camp - which features two practices that are often quite physical each day -- is harder on knees than the season will be, and the team will have to manage Samuels's knee throughout the year.

By Barry Svrluga  |  August 23, 2009; 11:40 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Davis, Mitchell Make Their Marks
Next: Redskins Will Continue to Manage Samuels's Knee

Comments

The first question for Coach Jim Zen was to evaluate Campbell's brief outing that got him a passer rating of 39.6.

Campbell, Offense Still Struggling
Summary: Redskins 17, Steelers 13
Boswell: Proceed With Caution

Zen's first words were "very good." Next came, "He is doing a great job on his decision-making."

Great?

"We moved the ball well," said Campbell, even though the Redskins would have gone three-and-out in their first possession if Zen hadn't succeeded with a run from punt formation. Of his two long bombs, both of which hit Steeler hands first, not his receivers, Campbell said, "We will start hitting them soon.

----------

How soon is now?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 23, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

"He made good decisions on the screens to throw them away..."

Coach Jim Zen

----------

Wow!

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 23, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Don't agree witht he Z-man. What game was he looking at ?

It wasn't this one !

A

L

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 23, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Great reply Chia_Pet !

Anyone hungry ?

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 23, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

I know one thing Danny Smith had better shore up special teams, man they looked like pop warner last night and the "gunners" kept taking the wrong angles on the punt coverage and what's up with our returners or lack there of. I am a big supporter of Jason but i must admit he's got to ramp it up, New England will be a good barometer the first string D looked good Orapko is going to be a beast.

Posted by: dargregmag | August 23, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Zorn should bench Campbell now and start Collins in the opener..there should have been a first-string quarterback competition in training camp in the first place. it's only a matter of time b4 JC gets yanked during the regular season anyway....

Posted by: nsnwozo | August 23, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Zorn + Campbell= MEDIUM. Why should any other player fear or feel a need to respect these stiffs?

Posted by: bernard_thompson | August 23, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

"But he'll see. He'll see what the problem is."

Coach Zen

----------

Yes, but can he correct the problem?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 23, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Following the loss, expect Jason Campbell to have a great week of practice.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 23, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

problem is, we've been saying that for like,5 years now?

Posted by: nsnwozo | August 23, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell = Lionel Richie

Posted by: bernard_thompson | August 23, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Hello, is it me you're looking for?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 23, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Following the loss, expect Jason Campbell to have a great week of practice.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 23, 2009 12:11 PM

This about practice ? Man we sitting here talking about practice !

JC knows he won't be a skin in 2010 !

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 23, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

In listening to Coach Zen's comments, it seems to me that the tendency is to look for an explanation why JC did not complete this throw, or that one, as if every play has to evolve perfectly in order to consistently move the ball downfield.

As if...

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 23, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

u can't blame JC's poor play on pass protection now, so what excuses is he making now? Let's face it, guys ...the "Skins currently do not have a franchise qb and the entire league knows it. JC does not have "IT".

Posted by: nsnwozo | August 23, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nsnwozo

Great analysis ! Learn how to use capitalization though.

Why did JC say this last night

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 23, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Loving Jason Reid's question to Coach Jim Zen,

"Does it matter next week if the first team offense scores a TD?"

To which Coach Zen chuckles, then says, "It matters, yeah."

Jason Reid replies, "Okay."

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 23, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Loving Jason Reid's question to Coach Jim Zen,

"Does it matter next week if the first team offense scores a TD?"

To which Coach Zen chuckles, then says, "It matters, yeah."

Jason Reid replies, "Okay."

Posted by: Chia_Pet

The coverage by WaPo is really lame. Glorified cheerleaders mostly.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 23, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

"He's got challenges ahead of him for, you know, making, you know, completing the pass when it's there, and things like that, ummmm, but that's part of what we're doing here, in our, ummmm, pre-season, we're trying to get him honed up so he's perfect."

Coach Jim Zen on Jason Campbell

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 23, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

I think Zorn is stateing the facts. Campbell made good decision-making. this is true. His choices of what WR was open to throw the ball were good. The problem was as it has ALWAYS been with JC. His accuracy sucks beyond belief. I mean he saw Kelly open down filed...he threw it to Kelly downfiled...problem was it was 5 yards underthrown and 3 yards behind his back. So zorn just praised what he could and ragged on what he did wrong. Only thing is...he was candy coating the accuracy thing a bit.

So how many still think JC is the guy? i said it the last 2 years and was blasted for it. The mans career is half over...when I ask when is he going to step up?

Posted by: leevi98 | August 23, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Zorn has to use the tools given him. He is being sooo PC in his analysis of JC it makes me throw up a little in my mouth each time I hear it.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 23, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

The coverage by WaPo is really lame. Glorified cheerleaders mostly.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 23, 2009 12:36 PM

----------

Not entirely.

The Washington Post has ripped Dan Snyder, on a number of occasions.

Most recently, Thomas Boswell does a credible job:

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 23, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

the funny thing is, Zorn realizes that his future and job security with the Skins is linked with Campbell's success, yet the Z man publicaly proclaims,"he's pleased with JC's decision-making". Unbelievable.

Posted by: nsnwozo | August 23, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Chia. You're right.

Zorn ins in a no-win situation with campbell though.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 23, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

It looks like the attempts by the front office to acquire another QB got inside Campbell's head. If so,he's through in DC.

Welcome Beltway Chase, can't call him Chevy, the names already taken, twice.

Those of you who post bench Campbell and start Collins are right on, IMHO.

Posted by: pjente | August 23, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Coach Zen is becoming increasingly uncomfortable discussing Jason Campbell; he's visibly strained with the subject.

More revealing perhaps, is his response when asked about Chase Daniel's performance:

"I really liked what Chase Daniel did with his time in there. He proved he can scrap and complete passes. He was accurate. He had a great scramble for a first down, ummmm (insert long pause and wrinkled brow here.)

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 23, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I am so sick and tired of Jason Campbell not delivering when he is needed and the excuses of Zorn sickens me to my stomach. How may times has Campbell won a game for us in the final two minutes or driven the length of the field for a score before the half. Zero. Nada. Zilch. People, being a QB isn't rocket science. We Redskins fans are in for a big downer this year is Campbell remains as the starter. Collins, Daniels or Brennan would be much better starter.

Posted by: getitritegov | August 23, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: getitritegov | August 23, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Et tu,Pjente?

--Colt Brennan.

Posted by: nsnwozo | August 23, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

that's 7 passes. that's nothing. people who freak out now are people who love to hate. the only thing preseason is good for is the lack of injuries. does anybody here remember the spurrior preseason?

Posted by: wd324 | August 23, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

The clock is ticking on Campbell's career witht he Skins.

This is his last year here.

Yeah, Bob Woodward with the scoops I'm not.

But I am good at stating the obvious.

Posted by: SteveMG | August 23, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

ABANDON SHIP!!!!! START COLLINS!!!! START COLT!!! START CHASE!!! JASON LET US DOWN WHEN WE REALLY NEEDED HIM!!! What a bunch of D-bags...

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 23, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

No, but i do remember the Spurrier preseason.

Posted by: nsnwozo | August 23, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Chase/Colt for QB = Spurrier for Head Coach

Posted by: wd324 | August 23, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Love to hate?

Not so much.

Love to win?

Yes, very much so.

True about pre-season and how winning is less important, but what we look for, in this instance, is quantifiable progress from the 1st team offense, of which we simply haven't seen much.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 23, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Scamp,

Please come up with a more thoughtful put-down than "D-Bag."

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 23, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

There was a little progress with the 1st string offense although very little.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 23, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell = Lionel Richie

Posted by: bernard_thompson | August 23, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell = Lando Calrisian/Billy Dee Williams

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 23, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Scamp,

Please come up with a more thoughtful put-down than "D-Bag."

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 23, 2009 1:06 PM |

I'll put as much thought into the putdown as there was into the post that brought it.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 23, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

U guys think the "Skins could trade next years entire draft picks for the 1st overall pick, Sam Bradford?

Posted by: nsnwozo | August 23, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Hello, is it me you're looking for?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 23, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Look at me Look at me look at me look at me Look at me Look at me look at me look at me Look at me Look at me look at me look at me Look at me Look at me look at me look at me Look at me Look at me look at me look at me Look at me Look at me look at me look at me Look at me Look at me look at me look at me Look at me Look at me look at me look at me Look at me Look at me look at me look at me Look at me Look at me look at me look at me Look at me Look at me look at me look at me ...

I have nothing to say but still would you PLEASE

Look at me Look at me look at me look at me Look at me Look at me look at me look at me Look at me Look at me look at me look at me Look at me Look at me look at me look at me Look at me Look at me look at me look at me Look at me Look at me look at me look at me Look at me Look at me look at me look at me Look at me Look at me look at me look at me Look at me Look at me look at me look at me.

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 23, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | August 23, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

I can see it in your eyes, I can see it in your smile...

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 23, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Sure, Campbell is all they have. The others are too young, inexperienced or don't have the skill to play consistently at a high level in the NFL.

But, c'mon, Zorn and Snyder want another quarterback. That's obvious.

Unless Campbell has a spectacular year, he's gone.

Posted by: SteveMG | August 23, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 23, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

You're all that I ever wanted
And my arms are open wide...

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 23, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I say cut Campbell now, make Collins starting qb,Colt 2nd string & Chase 3rd string.

Posted by: nsnwozo | August 23, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

All of you guy's have valed points !

Anyone hungry ?

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 23, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nsnwozo |

First tell me how the Redskins have done historically drafting QB's in the first round?

Posted by: TheCork | August 23, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nsnwozo | August 23, 2009 1:14 PM

Well, I say it's a good thing you're not the coach then.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 23, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Jason Reid, could you guys install "spell check"?

Posted by: nsnwozo | August 23, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Danny boy should have went after Mr "VICK", he could have turned this team around.

Here's vick saying he wants to be a skin !

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 23, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

it is time for Canpbell to go..He has no confidence in himself the team has no confedence in him so we are just digging a bigger hole.

I think everyone on this board would agree that the writing was on the wall for campbell.

CUT YOUR LOSSES AND MOVE ON WE GAVE HIM A CHANCE AND HE JUST DOES NOT HAVE IT!!

NOTHING PERSONAL BUT I AM TRIED OF LOSING... AND W/0 A QB WE DO NOT HAVE A CHANCE

D WILL BE VERY GOOD BUT THEY CANNOT SCORE ALL THE POINTS

DO SOMETHING RIGHT SYNDER AND DO IT NOW OR MORE OF US WILL BE DUMPING OUR 1300.00 A SEAR SEATS THEN MAYBE YOU WILL LISTEN

SELLING SEATS AT AN ALARMING RATE!! JUST LOOK AT THE BROKER SALES

Posted by: carolina1 | August 23, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

i rest my case....

Posted by: nsnwozo | August 23, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Hey, nsnwozo, could you leave JR alone.

Why did JC say this to JR last night ?

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 23, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: carolina1 | August 23, 2009 1:23 PM

I would not. I don't consider 2 preseason games "writing on the wall." I consider it somewhat disconcerting at most.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 23, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

haha

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 23, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Jason Reid, could you guys install "spell check"?

Posted by: nsnwozo

Forget that noise! Half the fun we have up in here is wessing with mords. With spell check, there's no Jasno... 'Course, the Chipmunk has made it to the big time now, so he can mess up with his mouth instead of his fingers...

Posted by: SonofNero | August 23, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

M. Mason 11 45 4.1
L. Betts 4 7 1.8

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 23, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Cork. Do you eat pork ?

If you don't, here's something else to eat other than pork cork !

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 23, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Yea, screw that alphabet guy. No Jasno or Derrick Forst, what the he77 would we have to talk about?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 23, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 23, 2009 1:28 PM

Great pont ! SCAM MAN

Anyone hungry ?

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 23, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Campbell's first pass did not appear to be a good read to me. On the replay, I saw Santana Moss wide open on a deep in. If campbell hits him in stride he would have picked up big yardage. So, I fairly certain that Campbell operates with two deficiencies: he's both a bad decision maker and is saddled with poor accuracy. This combination precludes him from being a starting QB in the NFL. And this is precisely why the 'Skins brass was after Cutler and Sanchez.

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | August 23, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 23, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Zorn pleased with Campbell.

Is that a joke?

Posted by: hock1 | August 23, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Zorn saying that Campbell did a good job last night either shows filial loyalty to JC or a Goebbels-esque display of front office propaganda..Sick of sputtering offense that can't hit the zygote- TOUCHDOWNS NOW!! TOUCHDOWNS NOW!! TOUCHDOWNS NOW!!

PFT has a great article on the skins !

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 23, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Did everyone go to sleep ?

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 23, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Should Zorn state the obvious, and say JC had a F'd up couple of throws? The media would be all over that, given the way Snyder handled the QB position in the offseason. And it was just that, a couple of series, 7 pass attempts, in a preseason game no less.

Still, JC is considered the best QB on the team, he's the starter, and Zorn is responsible for getting him prepared for the season.

He's a former 1st round draft pick, and now a 2nd year starter under Zorn whose performance improves each year. We know what we have with him.

Did ya'll really expect Zorn to pile on?

Posted by: Alan4 | August 23, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Cut Campbell now. Wow we have entered knee jerk tardville. If there is no progress after about 4 full games in the regular season then its time to make a move. For better or worse JC is the QB for this year, deal with it.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | August 23, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

so what happens if Chase continues to play that well and Colt and Campbell continue to stink up the joint?And what about Marko Mitchell and Marcus Mason?How do you cut those guys?Chris Wilson played well at end.

Posted by: mark65 | August 23, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

You " Can't,Cut,Campbell,Chase,Chris

Did everyone leave ?

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 23, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

What happened HireMartyS, the Post finally kicked FireJimZorn off so you fooled 'em with this new handle?

Posted by: TheNewTruth | August 23, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: getitritegov | August 23, 2009 12:57 PM |

I am sick of people jumping to ridiculous conclusions based on preseason action. First of all, by this type of thinking, the Pats should dump Brady since he missed a TD to Moss this week. Also, you want to start Brennan? Have you seen him this year? He will be cut so maybe you can start him for your YMCA flag football team. Campbell admittedly didn't throw the ball with accuracy last night, but he attempted 7 passes. 7 passes. Let's give Campbell, as well as the whole team, the benefit of the doubt. It's preseason week 2. Come on, everybody.

Posted by: TheNewTruth | August 23, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheNewTruth | August 23, 2009 2:26 PM

LOL, funny.
Hey check out Vinny saying JC will go to the pro bowl.

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 23, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

In case you all didn't notice, the Giants' starters got smoked by the Bears' starters. Guess the Giants be terrible this year. 2-14 probably. We'll beat them by 35, right?

Posted by: TheNewTruth | August 23, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

We don't need Campbell to be a superstar, but is it too much to ask for him to play at the same mediocre level as Trent Dilfer did for the Ravens in 2000?

Posted by: houstonridge9 | August 23, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: houstonridge9 | August 23, 2009 2:39 PM

So we have the Ravens 2000 defense ?
Here's a clip of te Ravens defense.

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 23, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

I don't think folks who are hating on Jason Campbell are over-reacting to what they see: confirmation of the FO's issues with his play.

Given that most starting q-backs have had fairly productive preseasons for even the short time they are on the field, you scratch your head when it comes to the guy.

The reports on Campbell are always, "..he looked in practice..."

But then the game play is as shaky and inaccurate as ever.

Let's see it in a mix of games over an extended period of time, please.

Again: the maturation of Jason Campbell is the most important issue facing the franchise.

It's about time the 5th year, 1st round draft pick player performing in the same system for two years in a row starts showing signs of maturation.

And that's not knee-jerk shout-out.

That's just reality.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 23, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

The best comment after the game came from CP. We need to ge the ball over the goal line. Is the Skin's inability to do do coaching, the O line, the QB, or the running back? Why wasn't CP given the ball?

I am begining to think Zorn doesn't have it as a head coach in the NFL.

I already believe the 'Skins don't have a playoff caliber O line or QB.

We could be in for a long season. This comment is not coming from the preseason and two preseason games, but I get the feeling this is a continuation of the last 8 games from 2008.

Posted by: pjente | August 23, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

SteveMG writes:

"Sure, Campbell is all they have. "

---------

who is "they"? More proof that the negative mo-runs here are the fifth column for Cowgirls and Ravers.

"they"?

If you care for the Redskins, you would have said "we"

HTTR

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 23, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

As my handle implies i live in Hawaii. Grew up in Hyattsville/College Park.

Anyway, you would be amazed how much coverage gets over here. His performance gets highlight package on the late news over here. They tease with if before commercial "stick around... Colt highlights next". The local sports radio guys (and callers) all give him lots of discussion time.

They are gonna be flipping out over Chase Daniel Tomorrow, guaranteed.

Now I don't mind ol' Colt, but I love the fact that i get WAY extended Redskins coverage over here because he is on the team.

Wonder what Danny is gonna package with his 1st pick to get a new QB in next year's draft. He already (wisely) spent the 3rd rounder on Jarmon.

I like JC, i really do, i think he has gotten a kinda raw deal with all of the constant scheme changes. But, damn dude, its time to step the F*c$ UP and connect with some down field receivers.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 23, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheNewTruth | August 23, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Am sick of it too. A lot of fans are just not football savvy, don't have a lot context, and quit on their team and players quicker than you can say "PRESEASON"

I really hope we cut Colt Brennan. Not because he's not a serviceable number 3 qb, but because I am sick of hearing idiotic comments about how he should be the number 2 or, stunningly, start over JC. Plus, I like Chase Daniel.

Posted by: Barno1 | August 23, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Redskins could win the NFC Championship game and lose the Superbowl this year. Then, you'll hear all the panting from "fans" on how JC cannot win the big one.

You people are abunch of whiny losers, get a life and go f Tom Brady if that pleases your football fancy

Also FU to all the Non-Redskins fans who have nothing better to do than spilling venum on this team.

I think the team "attitude" has a significant effect on its success. Despite all the pontifications by the sports media, most of whom are barely qualified to write or say anything, Football is a game of strategy and chance. Not much seperates the top teams from the crappy teams. Crappy teams manage to draft highly talented players and still suck.

The winning attitude will take you places. Unfortunately, this twon is infested with loser fans and loser journalists who keep the team's success in check. Magnify every weakness and minimze every strength. That is Redskins nation for you. We do not have a "single" sportswriter in this town who is actually a fan. Everyone wants to piss on the Redskins.

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 23, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

LOL, funny.
Hey check out Vinny saying JC will go to the pro bowl.

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 23, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Why is this worthy of a "lol"? The GM of a team with a QB who has steadily progressed in nearly every statistical category his first few years, and who is in a contract year, and is playing with a chip on his shoulder SHOULD make the pro bowl.

I would be very surprised if Campbell didn't put up pro bowl numbers this year.

Posted by: Barno1 | August 23, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

I love all the hating going on right now, I seriously love it. Go ahead, and tell me, that you're not "haters", rather, you're "realists". That's fine. But, we'll see how real you are in week 12.

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | August 23, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Meant to say: The GM of a team with a QB who has steadily progressed in nearly every statistical category his first few years, and who is in a contract year, and is playing with a chip on his shoulder SHOULD THINK HIS QB WILL make the pro bowl.

Posted by: Barno1 | August 23, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Not only did JC stink but the Offensive Coodinator! Hmmmm who could that be?

Posted by: LongTimeSkinsFan | August 23, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Is the smart money now on Malcolm Kelly to win the #2 receiver job with ARE in the slot?

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 23, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

"Peaceful"2008, huh?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 23, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Last night was as much fun as I've ever had at a preseason game.

I brought a bullhorn to the tailgate and we used it frequently to harass and mock any Stoolers fan within ear shot. Afterwards, one of these Stoolers fan who apparently didn't like being the object of our harrassment got brave and tried to intimidate us and got in our faces.

Let's just say...that was a very bad decision on his part.

Posted by: Barno1 | August 23, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Bring back Jeff George.

The only hope the Deadskins have is if Mrs Snyder finally files for divorce and Danny Boy has to sell the team. Maybe the Redskins will end up with competent ownership or maybe the new ownership group will move the team to LA.

Better yet if mr Buffett rally enjoys his experience as minority owner maybe he can make Danny Boy and offer he couldn't refuse.
Just think of the bennies for season ticket holders. Check out Buffet's store.

Posted by: omarthetentmaker | August 23, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 23, 2009 2:54 PM

---------

???

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 23, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 23, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

I want to buy you a beer

Posted by: Barno1 | August 23, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Damn, I had such high hopes for Campbell. I guess the pressure is too much for him. Dude is regressing into Tony Banks Jr. Todd Collins should get some snaps with the first string the next two games to shake things up and add some life to the team.

Posted by: coparker5 | August 23, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Hey Chia, are out of pebbles?

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 23, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Hey Chia, are you out of pebbles?

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 23, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Look I am telling you right now if JC doesnt command the first team. no playoffs no JC next year

Posted by: MGDMaster21 | August 23, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 23, 2009 2:54 PM

---------

???

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 23, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse
-----------------

Chia, it means that the Redskins are not short on talent. their only weakness is a fan base that consistently puts the "l" in loser!

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 23, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Barno1,

cheers to that!

HTTR

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 23, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Nah, peaceful, just don't follow your logic that a few lucky play calls, all around happy coincidence and good fortune is what separates organizations like the Lions from those like the Steelers.

And for someone who is pointing the finger at pontificators, you seem to be blowing some serious steam yourself.

Just sayin'

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 23, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Hey peaceful, can you explain how "loser fans and loser journalists" keep the team's "success in check"? Seriously, what do you mean?

Posted by: mack1 | August 23, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Todd Collins, Colt, Chase are NOT the answer. Todd will be just good enough to give you hope before he finds a way to tear your heart out. Colt? Chase? Please.

For better or worse, JC is the ONLY extended winning option at QB for the 2009 Redskins. I am a JC fan, but i think i am firmly entrenched in the angst ridden camp that wants to see him just GET IT DONE. Nothing like a few well thrown balls for 20 yard down field receptions as part of a couple long TD drives to calm the hamsters. That is what the team and Redskins nation need at this point.

JC, I (we) are begging you: Carpe Diem!!

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 23, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Oh, okay!

The fans are the real problem for the Washington Redskins.

You and Barno have fun at the bar.

Brilliant!

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 23, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Chia,

I said strategy AND chance. Attitude is not just about elevation (that would be altitude!) Attitude is a magical combination of talent and confidence. You are not going to have a winning attitude if all you hear is doom and gloom. Now, sometimes teams overcome their fan base negativity (see Skins in the 80's) but more likely than not, you become the image that you hold in your head.

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 23, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

I would be very surprised if Campbell didn't put up pro bowl numbers this year.

Posted by: Barno1

I'd be thrilled too, but have you seen the throws? Every time he stinks during a game, it's the line, or the wr's, or he made the right decision, blah, blah, blah. Enough of the excuses. Dude seems like a nice guy, but he's average at best.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 23, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

One word...
PRESEASON.

Posted by: BMACattack | August 23, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Mack1, google quantum theory and follow "observer and the observed"

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 23, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Look if Chase and get done why can't JC? I might have to rool the dice on Chase or Colt. That's just me.

Posted by: MGDMaster21 | August 23, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the clarification, peaceful.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 23, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

i have to say this. and i don't mean it personally jc17. i have no doubt i would never say this to your face and that you could kick my a-$-$ before i even finish calling you a dumb hick!

but jc17 has no place in the nfl. none. not even as a backup. of course i'm just a fan that only has 22 years of watching the nfl but this was confirmed by ALL OF THE NFL this offseason when no one wanted his "talents". there's a reason he didn't demand to be "traded" like cutler did cuz no one wants this dude.

"emperor has no clothes!" folks that's what the whole league told us, this dude can't play. kyle orton, i'm sorry, friggin kyle orton is better than jc17.

i don't think i'm going out on a limb when i say that jc17 will not have a job next season in the nfl.

to paraphrase jc sucks!

and i feel stupid, gullible for even spending an ounce of energy trying to have this arguement cuz we all know that he's not the problem. problem is zorny, uncle june(vinny), and the danny boy, sooner they leave this team alone sooner this team will be a winning team.

i love the skins front 7, i love landry and horton but i'm not convinced about hall and rogers. hall was good last year but that hit was stupid.

i say the skins should cryogenically freeze this defense until they have a good QB.

Posted by: dealer1 | August 23, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

The WR Marko needs to make the cut and they need to take 6 and not 5 and i would also like to add that D.J. Hackett is a bum.

Posted by: MGDMaster21 | August 23, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Ummmm, don't confuse Chase's "Colt 2008" like ability to kick ass amongst the 3rd and 4th stringers with the ability to step into a real NFL game and get it done.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 23, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

How did JC lead the Redskins to 6-2 last year? How was that possible if he is the most incompetent QB in the history of the world?

a couple of injuries here, a couple of misfortunes there and you slip to 8-8.

Now, can we assume that based on all the offseason moves, the Redskins are going to be 10% better overall? where is the doom and gloom justification?

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 23, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Vegas has the skins winning the SB !

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 23, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

"I would be very surprised if Campbell didn't put up pro bowl numbers this year."

Agreed, and I have every reason to believe he will.

As long as the O-line stays healthy and I don't think they will to be honest. While I think Campbell need to make some "progess" this year, it's not all about him. Remember Rypien was only sacked NINE times in 1991. I think Campbell's stats would be MUCH better if he had that line in front of him instead of fearing for his life like he did last year.

Bunch of whiners on this board.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | August 23, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

did i mention how good this skins D is?
yes. it's so sad. they're THAT good. before anyone starts dreaming of the 2000 ravens. AGAIN jc17 is no friggin kyle orton or whomever that ravens qb was...forgetting his name.

ohh and everytime theisman opens his mouth he sounds like he's blowing thedannyboy! jeeez! get a grip man! btw for all you out of towners this is one of his quotes "there's only one guy in the league that throws like jason(campbell), tom brady!" PUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKE!

Posted by: dealer1 | August 23, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

jc17

(those are less than signs)

Posted by: dealer1 | August 23, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Top Five D. The O that's another story. dealer1 i diagree with one point you about zorn dont think he's the problem its those two fool above him. i think most of know if your the owner worry about ticket sale and VC is just a yes man to the wrong guy. he should be a yesman to the Head coach. and last if i where running the show i would ask zorn to take a back seat and bring in Mike Shanahan.

Posted by: MGDMaster21 | August 23, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

lol they didn't show up

jc17 less than kyle orton less than trent dilfer

Posted by: dealer1 | August 23, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

beep, beep

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 23, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Seriously folks, do you want Chase, Colt or Todd to lead this team?

JC has shown that he is not going to burn this team's chances of winning by stupid plays. Now he needs to step up and play with more confidence, playing to win.. If he is going to lead this team, he needs to be given the chance to make mistakes. All great QB's have bad plays and bad games. But they don't have to deal with the media/fan base in DC

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 23, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

if the corners hold up their end even just a little bit (limit 1 bad penalty per game, bite on one double move per game). i say this is a #1 D (with everyone healthy).

Posted by: dealer1 | August 23, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Mike Shanahan Head Coach Jim Zorn Off. Cord. works for me the both run the west coast.

Posted by: MGDMaster21 | August 23, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

a couple of injuries here, a couple of misfortunes there and you slip to 8-8.

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 23, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

JC17 he doesnt have that killer side off him he doesn't smell blood like brady, big ben, peyton the list goes on.

Posted by: MGDMaster21 | August 23, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

If you care for the Redskins, you would have said "we"

Eppur si muovo, your holiness.

Posted by: SteveMG | August 23, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Campbell is the Skins best starting QB since Brad Johnson went to the Pro Bowl 10 years ago.

As we all know, Johnson was replaced by Jeff George, and Johnson went on to win a Super Bown in Tampa Bay. Jeff George was the shiny new QB followed by 6 more starting QBs before Gibbs settled on JC:

1. Tony Banks

2. Shane Matthews

3. Patrick Ramsey

4. Danny Wuerfiel

5. Tim Hasselback

6. Mark Brunell

Most winning teams over the past couple of decades have had stability at the QB position, even when the performance at that position isn't elite (e.g., the Super Bowl Steelers Ben Rothlisberger's 17 TD 15 INT performance last year).

Didn't McNabb get benched for shaky performance last year before guiding the Eagles to the NFC Championship game?

Patience.... Snyder has conditioned us over the past decade to be as impatient as he is.

Let's see what happens this year with a 2nd year head coach and a 1st round drafted QB getting his second year under that system (we actually made the playoffs TWICE under Gibbs 2.0's boring stability, with Mark Frickin' Brunnell!).

Posted by: Alan4 | August 23, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

JC17 no killer mentality

Posted by: MGDMaster21 | August 23, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

"and btw...skins front 7 probably the best front 7 in the league. that front 7 is the beast and those two idiot corners better not let the 7 samurai down as hall did last night with that stupid late hit."

That was no late hit. That was a sexually frustrated ref venting his radioactive waste..

Posted by: frak | August 23, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I want my skins to win but if JC cant to this year why give him a big new deal whats has he proved?

Posted by: MGDMaster21 | August 23, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

is anyone on this board actual FANS of this team or just cry babies?( aside from peaceful and barno)

or is it that your brains have been warped by the sports media whom only ride the jock straps of choice teams?

if you all hate this team,the qb, the o line, the sp teams, the coaches, the FO,
SOOO effin much, go hit 495 and ride the raisins jocks, i hear they have dreamy uni brow wearing qb nowadays..

for the rest of us,, HAIL

Posted by: iHAVEfaith | August 23, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

so who is to blame for Samuel's knee problem?

I know, Snyderato is to blame. If they hadn't mismanaged their yabadabadoo, Samuels's knee would be in better shape. Also (a la Palin) it is JC's fault since he holds on to the ball too long and strains Samuel's knee, also.

"Make Colt the #1 QB and Samuel's knee will get better" said Redskins Fan base

Guys, I think Redskins need to change their primary yabadabadoo to be more like the Patriots' yabadabadoo.

Yabadabadoo at Fedex field sucks, and it cost too much. Snyder's fault blah blah blah

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 23, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

i just think we need to tell dannyboy to gwt his hands out the cookie jar and just write the checks

Posted by: MGDMaster21 | August 23, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

i a firm believer in the four qb system JC needs two more years in zorns system(if possible) there be a title. revamp o-line and groom another tailback. the way i see it, its just the offense, nothing else. i know as well as everyone else does putting him in a new system since college has slowed his progress. but with that in mind he stil needs that killer mentality

Posted by: MGDMaster21 | August 23, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

i a firm believer in the four year qb system JC needs two more years in zorns system(if possible) there be a title. revamp o-line and groom another tailback. the way i see it, its just the offense, nothing else. i know as well as everyone else does putting him in a new system since college has slowed his progress. but with that in mind he stil needs that killer mentality

Posted by: MGDMaster21 | August 23, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Redskins Fan Base Resistance Manifesto:

-Boo touchdowns, boo interceptions
-Boo here, boo there, boo everywhere
-I don't like this QB
-I want another QB
-I don't like this play called
-I don't like that play called
-I don't like this play with this QB
-We should have that play with that QB
-Boo here, boo there