Zorn Evaluates Skins' Tackles

With the release of veteran Jon Jansen, the Redskins head into organized team activities over the next two weeks - and, more importantly, training camp and the season - with three primary options at right tackle. Coach Jim Zorn shared his thoughts on each.

Stephon Heyer, 25, 6-foot-6, 330 pounds, entering third season:

"Heyer has really improved himself," Zorn said. "He hasn't missed anything in our offseason program. He's trying to change his body style and the way he moves. I have seen some improvement. He's got a ways to go. That's why I wouldn't clearly name him the starter. He's working on his technique, his strength, his suddenness. Obviously, there's a lot to work on, but he's on his way."

Mike Williams, 29, 6-6, 384 pounds (Zorn said), entering sixth season (with two years off):

"Mike Williams has got tremendous potential right now," Zorn said, "and that's what it is because he hasn't played in two years. But when I watch him move, and I watch him move his feet, I mean, he can really move a lot of weight.

"He's down to 384 today. How comfortable can you be with a guy who's 384? But he's coming down. And that's a sign that he's making himself into a better football player. He's allowing himself to give himself a chance. My biggest concern is: Can he function at a high level at the weight he is for 70 plays? You can't just have it for 10 plays. You got to have it for 70."

Jeremy Bridges, 29, 6-4, 326 pounds, entering seventh season:

"I don't know much about Jeremy Bridges yet, but I watch him, and I see another athlete that can really change direction. I think he's got a toughness about him that we're certainly looking for with the Redskins."

By Barry Svrluga  |  May 29, 2009; 4:14 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Zorn Discusses Jansen Decision
Next: Moss Has a Birthday-a-Palooza

Comments

Mike Williams is going to be the starter at RT. he'll be down to 350 pounds by opening day. Imagine Portis running behind a mauler like him?

This will make Campbell much better.

Posted by: knight1977 | May 29, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

By the comments of Zorn, look for my boy Heyer to start....

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 29, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

I say we put Haynesworth in on goal line packages...

But then again...

I prayed for Gibbs to use Sean Taylor at wideout for end zone jump balls...

Posted by: jmicrodoc | May 29, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Hope NFLN gave JLC a big enough raise that he can buy some big boy clothes... and not have to go on tv looking like a homeless person living outside Redskins Park.

Also, try to stop calling people "brotha" on the air. We really need you to succeed so we don't risk having to put up with your "reporting" on this blog again.

Posted by: WhySoSerious | May 29, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

sorry, but from the last thread :

"The Redskins management is a joke. They draft zero lineman in this draft, and then release an experienced lineman while keeping a 400lb. lineman who has not played in three years. It is very hard to root for this team.

Posted by: skinsflorida"

MORON POST OF THE DAY ALERT

no crap it comes from someone who would put the disgusting word/state 'florida' in their screenname

NEWSFLASH you imply that you wanted us to draft OL in the draft, which I can probably say is because a guy like Jansen SUCKS.

Now you're mad because a guy that SUCKS was cut from the team.

MORON POST OF THE DAY ALERT

Posted by: TheTruth11 |

Posted by: TheTruth11 | May 29, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm just glad that they're getting bigger overall, I think Heyer starts as well. I'd really like to see what Williams can do however...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 29, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know how Jansens release will help our salary cap?

Posted by: erleach | May 29, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

You're 384 and struggling to lose weight in an NFL-esque training environment? This guy must be eating everything that isn't bolted down.

Posted by: SMACK1 | May 29, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SMACK1 | May 29, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

well i wouldnt say he is struggling, about a month ago he was close to 450lbs. Hes shedding weight and fast. He also has been out of the league for approx 2 yrs. He is doin great.

Posted by: erleach | May 29, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

erleach, I'm fuzzy on this, but it sounded like the team will "save" something like 1.1 million on bonuses that were due Jansen as of June 1, and of course his 2009 salary will come off the books, but the team will incur something like 900k as a cap hit for his pro-rated signing bonus. Or something like that. So I think the Skins net some cap room for 2009. But I have no idea how much.

The accelerated cap hit for the remainder of Jansen's pro-rated bonus would push to the 2010 season, when I *think* we're anticipating no salary cap, correct?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 29, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

SNACK1,
I feel you. MW must be looking at people and seeing things, like in the cartoons, where some one turns into a giant butterball turkey.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | May 29, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

smack, Williams has been losing weight at a pretty decent clip since he's been here? Would losing more be good? Yes and it sounds like he's working towards that. But the weight he showed up at is old news at this point. He still prob won't start day 1 but if he can contribute at all, we got him for nothing so it's a bonus, in my opinion.

Posted by: AdamCr | May 29, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

If I'm Jeremy Bridges, and the first comment out of my HC's mouth about me starts with "I don't know much about Jeremy Bridges yet...", then I'm not liking my chances of cracking the starting lineup right now...

Posted by: p1funk | May 29, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Top secret photo of Mike Williams at the cafeteria in Ashburn...

Posted by: 4-12 | May 29, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

By the comments of Zorn, look for my boy Heyer to start....

Posted by: 4thFloor

Which comment was it, 4th? "I wouldn't clearly name him the starter."

Or perhaps this ringing endorsement: "Obviously, there's a lot to work on."

Look he may start, but he's beating out a Jenny Craig reject who last played in 2005, the same year Bush started his second term--and we all know how well that worked out.

This O Line is in trouble.

Jansen's gone, Samuels and Thomas, two guys recovering from surgery (maybe recovering--Jansen didn't), Return to Sender Dockery and the undersized, aging Rabach.

And the backups? Last year's bust, Rinehart, undrafted FA Clark from NCAA powerhouse New Mexico State A&P, and castoff Jeremy Bridges.

The rest of the NFC East must be cringing in terror.

Jon Jansen out of work. Vinny Cerrato, still drawing a paycheck.

It's an upside down world.

Posted by: TheCork | May 29, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Sorry guys I thought he topped out around 400. Didn't hear he was approaching a quarter ton(ne).

Posted by: SMACK1 | May 29, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

This O Line is in trouble.

Posted by: TheCork | May 29, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Is that fact just dawning on you, Cork?

Posted by: p1funk | May 29, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

My translation of Zorn from Coach-speak to English: 'Man, I hope one of these guys can play, but at least they're better than what we had with Jansen last year.'

- Ajay

Posted by: agupta1 | May 29, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Bridges, Williams and Heyer must be looking impressive for the team to cut JJ.. He might not be as good as he was before the injuries but he was dependable especially in the run game. Most Skins fan called for a youth movement and when they release a older guy. The whining begins

Posted by: HolleyMvp | May 29, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

SMACK, the dude was fat. Absurdly fat.

You must have thought we were joking when we kept asking for weigh-ins up here. Oh no, sir. We were not joking.

On his ample shoulders sit at least some of our hopes for a better O line this fall.

You know how it is. Up here, it's a freakin' arms race. You guys got Leonard "Buffet" Davis. We got Mike "Smorgasbord" Williams. Your move.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 29, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

lets let them put the pads on and lets see what happens cork. Thomas has said he's feeling better than he has in years, so I mean, lets look at it as half full, instead of completely empty, and rolled off the table and smashed on the floor.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 29, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

JLC is going to be a bigger redskins hater on NFLN than Moose Johnson is when he does the skins broadcasts on fox. On the plus side he sing the praises of furture HOFs eddie royal, leigh torrance, and cameron wake.

Posted by: drewkinnear | May 29, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

"Clark from NCAA powerhouse New Mexico State A&P"****Cork

Get it right Cork, Clark is from the University of New Mexico, home of one Brian Urlacher and Hank Baskett, not NMSU.

OK, maybe not powerhouse...

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 29, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Wow...that sounds real promising (not!).

By the way, has anyone heard exactly what JLC will be doing with the NFL Network?

I can't see him as one of their regular "talking heads" as those guys tend to be either former athletes or coaches. Maybe he will be a roving reporter like Scott Hanson

Posted by: Lisa_R | May 29, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

cork are you excited that your man is moving up in the world to the NFLN? maybe he can get you a bigger cage and more luxurious gimp suit.

Posted by: drewkinnear | May 29, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Cork: yer an idiot.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, here is a list of Redskins who will NOT (hopefully) be on the roster past Aug 21:

Thrash, James
Westbrook, Byron
Albright, Ethan (got to get 2 other position guys functional at this role to save the roster spot)

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | May 29, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: HolleyMvp | May 29, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

I too am a little surprised that there is some mild groaning at this release. Some folks have short-term memories from last season.

But I guess this release is helping people re-realize how bad of a situation our O-line is.

It's why folks like myself and a few others took part-time jobs complaining about our draft and O-line several weeks back...

Posted by: p1funk | May 29, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

I'd really like to see what Williams can do however...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 29, 2009 4:14 PM

Maybe I can sell you some MMason while you're in agreeance with me....

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 29, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Maybe he will be a roving reporter like Scott Hanson
Posted by: Lisa_R | May 29, 2009

Could be, but my guess is more like a wobbling reporter like a Weeble. Or with all the tv time maybe he does a Golic and hits the Nutrisystem.

Posted by: will_ga | May 29, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

We need to get young. This is the first step in the..."Replace Jansen, Thomas, and Samuels" initiative.

Again...

Keep your draft picks...(see ANY Skins' draft)

Do not trade your draft picks for Veterans from other teams...(see Jason Taylor)

Do not flip out if one of your players gets injured and react irresponsibly and bring in outside talent rather than relying on players you've scouted / drafted...(see Ladell Betts vs. TJ Duckett or Chris Wilson vs. Jason Taylor)

Posted by: jmicrodoc | May 29, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Mike Williams is easily going to be at 350 by week 1, dude has last 65 pounds in 3 months, so hes easily gonna lose another 35....plus if those average joes on the biggest loser can lose all that weight with half the supervison and direction M. Williams gets, he can do it too

Posted by: hillb03 | May 29, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

p1funk, that's the rub: we all saw how poorly Jansen acquitted himself last season on the field, and yet we didn't see the team do anything plashy to help out the right side of the line in free agency or the draft.

Ironically. it was Mike Williams' pool-emptying cannonball at Derrick Dockery's house that gave Dock the idea Mike might have something better to do than hang out at his house all the time eating his food and emptying his pool. Talk about a plash.

(By which I mean, I got nothin'. I sure hope Williams can play.)

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 29, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

I have no problem releasing older players that cannot stay healthy... I would have done the same with Griffin but that is me. I hope there is somebody out there they can sign as a back tackle at this point or we better pray that we stay healthy!

Posted by: BarackObama | May 29, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Unreal...Jansen's production is unquestionably down by his standards, but cutting him altogether only makes sense IF YOU HAVE A VIABLE REPLACEMENT! A guy hustling to get south of 400 lbs after 2 years out of football and an undrafted kid whose two years here have been up and down at best is NOT a viable option. I'm OK with replacing Jansen, but get someone in here that would beat him out in open competition. He was denied that chance this year for no apparently good reason.

Bottom line is this move doesn't make the Redskins' offensive line better. It gives them even less depth on the line, which yesterday I wouldn't think was possible.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 29, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Jensen decided he could still play tackle. Perhaps true on most running plays. But as soon as a passing down came up you'd have to give him an awful lot of help. So, naturally, they moved him to guard and center. He didn't show enough there to excite anybody. That I think may in part be on him for not throwing himself into the new positions. Center and guard were both positions of need.

Reading between the lines: They are still in deep trouble at tackle because Zorn is elaborating on the status of both tackle positions, its not just right tackle its left tackle as well. You really can't completely rely on Samuel's to be completely healthy. Apparently Thomas wasn't after the same injury.

It still looks to me like they are on the cusp of signing someone to fill that need. My guess is Levi Jones.

Posted by: periculum | May 29, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

So, if its Svrluga ... where is his smiling face in a photo a top this blog?

Posted by: periculum | May 29, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Zeke's analysis of the Skins group of RTs

Heyer: ?
Williams: ???
Bridges: ??

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 29, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

levi jones would be nice

Posted by: drewkinnear | May 29, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

periculumb, I think Cindy and Nunz and the gang should run a poll up here allowing us to pick the new photo to adorn the blog. They seem to be enjoying these polls. Though a graphics-based poll might be tough to pull off. Hrmph.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 29, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

although i think it will be williams in week one when he is done to a svelte 358pds

Posted by: drewkinnear | May 29, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

I think cutting Jansen was a good sign (it feels terrible to say that)

I think Coach Joe would have held on to him for another year or two out of loyalty. Also good that Snyder told him face to face and not text message like I would have.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | May 29, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

bwood26,

It looks like Zorn and the coaches felt like JJ got beat out in mini-camp.

Once again, I renew my mild surprise that folks are moaning about this.

Do we suddenly realize we have little capable depth or adequate talent on the line? Are we just now seeing the folly of failing to develop young linemen over the past couple years, or pass over talented line prospects to take TEs, WRs, Brian Orakpo and a bunch of LBs in the draft?

If this were the week after the draft I would join the chorus of overall complaining about the line, but that window has come and gone; so let's just deal with it.

All in all, I'm glad Jansen is gone so the coaching staff won't be tempted to play him, and we can at least start taking steps forward to really develop the likes of Heyer, maybe Clark, and see what Bridges/Williams have left...

Posted by: p1funk | May 29, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 29, 2009 4:50 PM

Excuse me but didn't you just read up above that the dude doesn't have it anymore? Why keep him just for keeping him's sake if he can't help the team? Sheesh. Give 'em credit for sucking up the cap hit rather than playing out the string with a guy who was already a season past his prime.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 29, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SMACK1 | May 29, 2009 4:19 PM

I thought what he was struggling to do was to replace fat with muscle. And, without steroids.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 29, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

If it takes a village to cover this beat, who gets hired as the village idiot? I can think of a few who should apply for the position.

Posted by: will_ga | May 29, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

"Sad that we sucked the whole time Jansen was here."

No doubt, but he cut in line in front of me at a rental place a few years back and took the last rototiller- he always had it out for me, it seems..

Posted by: frak | May 29, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

"His mind...is ahead of what the defense...is"

~ Namath...to Colber...

Posted by: jmicrodoc | May 29, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Damn, I love Michigan players too.

They usually perform well in the NFL and Jansen sure did during his tenure.

Posted by: Vicc | May 29, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Personally, I think the blog should be adorned with a "Photoshopped" photo of Jasno and Snyder in a Spike Channel Xtreme matchup. In gloves but wearing the suits and ties and glasses ... ~smiles~

Posted by: periculum | May 29, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Oh forgot to mention ... should add the first bars of the "Rocky Theme" so there is sound too!

Posted by: periculum | May 29, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Thrash, James
Westbrook, Byron

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | May 29, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who complains about Ethan Albright being on this team must have forgotten that if it weren't for a not so good longsnapper(may he rest in peice) in the 99 playoffs the skins would have been in the nfc championship game..i personally don't want to go thru that agony again

Posted by: jumbo5383 | May 29, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 29, 2009

With that mass he just lost the water weight ... probably from drinking the pool water he cannon balled.

The real weight has yet to come off. That requires a real diet.

Posted by: periculum | May 29, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Jsnsen was washed up three years ago. When Parcells was coaching the Cowboys a few years ago, he was the subject of a 60 minutes piece on CBS.

He was being interviewed in the film room and specifically mentioned Jansen saying his skills had diminished the year after his ruptured achilles.

Posted by: knight1977 | May 29, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

The long snapper stays. Cartwright, and the center Rabach might have to go. Looks like Snyder finagled his way around that too.

Posted by: periculum | May 29, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Pretty much done after that ... no wheels.

Jansen won't be signed ... he will eventually decide to retire as a member of the team.

Posted by: periculum | May 29, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

"It's interesting how the whole league knew it but Gibbs and Buges kept him on. Doesn't say much about Gibbs' personnel skills, one of the reasons he wasn't as successful in his second term."

Posted by: knight1977

Hep!! Snare Roll, Cymbal crash!!

Posted by: frak | May 29, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum | May 29, 2009 5:20 PM

Maybe Jansen can join his old U of M teammate John Runyan drinking beer and watching TV this fall...two once great linemen that don't know when to give it up....

Posted by: knight1977 | May 29, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

HI CHRIS RAWLS!!

Posted by: erleach | May 29, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Zorn's thoughts all sound like generic sports chatter. No substance. Just meh.

Posted by: fan1 | May 29, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

It's clear Zorn has a better eye for personnel than Gibbs. Whether he is as good or a better motivator has not been established.

Gibbs got more out of his players than most, which combined with Bobby Beathard's eye helped the Skins win 3 Super Bowls.

Posted by: knight1977 | May 29, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Passed Coach Gibbs in the mountains of Kakilack couple of days ago. He wanted me to get straight with Jesus, but I told him I already was. Eating Kentucky Fried guinea pig and mayan mushrooms, Ah Pook the Destroyer (Mayan God of Death) appeared to shaman in a Peruvian cave, and said the world will end in 2012...By that time, Mike Williams will weigh minus 849 lbs...

Posted by: frak | May 29, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Cork: yer an idiot.

Thrash, James
Westbrook, Byron

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | May 29, 2009 4:39 PM |

Cut Albright? Dude, go surfing.

Posted by: mack1 | May 29, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for it all Jansen...good FO move be Skins...it was time.

For those that are whining, quit it! He was done!

Skins will undoubtedly pick up someone after June cuts, who may be further along than the others.

I like how the Skins are trying to build a player in Heyer...that's how you bring guys along in your organization.

Posted by: rickyroge | May 29, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Cut Ethan Albright???

Pass me some of what you're smokin'!!!!

Posted by: rickyroge | May 29, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

This O Line is in trouble.

Posted by: TheCork | May 29, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Is that fact just dawning on you, Cork?

Posted by: p1funk

A lil too "master-of-the-obvious" for you? Got distracted counting down to cocktail hour here on the Left Coast.

Posted by: TheCork | May 29, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Cork: yer an idiot.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe

Just think. Had there never been an internet, I'd have never known some doofus in Hawaii thinks I'm an Idiot. Suspected it, maybe...

Posted by: TheCork | May 29, 2009 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

Okay. But since nobody was in pads yet, it seems obvious to me the cutting of Jansen had to be injury related. Coaches just don't say, i like that fat guy over there who hasn't played since Bush was re-elected, I think we can let the old vet go.

I hope Thomas and Samuels are back to 100% and both last the year.

See, sometimes I try to be half full of it like the rest of you.

Besides beans, if you're half full and I'm half empty, It's a lovely Yin and yang, specially now that we get along.

Have a great weekend.

Posted by: TheCork | May 29, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: drewkinnear |

Go on witcha. I never even MET Jon Jansen.

But I like the "Bigger Cage" crack. It's got a pool outside and a nice view of the Santa Monica Mountains.

Posted by: TheCork | May 29, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Beep Beep

Posted by: CheyenneWY | May 29, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Cork has a nice view of JLC's B*llsack

Posted by: drewkinnear | May 29, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

i think bridges wins out at right tackle...he's started in this league before and he has a mean, physical streak in him....heyer and williams, while good athletes, aren't hardnosed...aren't hogs...i think once bridges gets in the trenches and shows the coaches how much more physical he is then the other candidates he will emerge as our starter...i'd rather have a bunch of mean and dirty men in there anyways then some finesse tackles

Posted by: altarkenton | May 29, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: altarkenton | May 29, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

I agree for now.

Posted by: Vicc | May 29, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

I like the way Zorn talks about footwork among the offensive linemen. Obviously he has aspirations for them to be on Dancing with the Stars. Take that, Jason Taylor. You haven't seen dancing until you've seen Mike Williams slow dancing with a house trailer...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | May 29, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

gotta say that I understand both arguments on ethan albright.on the one hand that bretheren duo screwup during the skins-bucs playoff game got them both fired.it was a devastating blow. on the other hand, in this era of players being able to multi-task, teams are signing players who can play center and usually guard. if, as the skins staff have said, you have been signing these type players you should be able to find someone to successfully hike the ball to a kicker or punter.I mean all you can do to not be successful as a long snapper is screw up the hike. they already changed the rule so you cannot bull-rush the center. I say even though he is a consecutive pro bowler (again he has not screwed up aka done his job) that is a roster spot being taken up by a one dimentional player. use him as trade bait for something (hello). btw, I still believe the skins should try to get (ufa) derrick brooks for salary minimum or a little more. he would be great for mentoring purposes and I am sure he can still play, but just cut for cap purposes. HAIL SKINS!

Posted by: jenksredskins | May 29, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

If Heyer wins the RT position, Williams should move in to the RG position. I would imagine if he's got the feet to make a case for RT, he's definitely got the beefcake to beat out Randy Thomas.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | May 29, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

The decision of the Washington Redskins to release veteran lineman Jon Jansen on Friday came as a bit of a surprise.

There was no question Jansen had plenty of struggles with injuries over his decade in the nation's capital, but he is still a pretty solid lineman. That, and his many ties to the state of Michigan, have led him to quickly come to terms with the Detroit Lions.

Posted by: abxinc | May 29, 2009 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Bengals terminate contract of OT Levi Jones

By JOE KAY, AP Sports Writer May 6, 4:38 pm EDT

CINCINNATI (AP)—Left tackle Levi Jones(notes) was released Wednesday by the Cincinnati Bengals, who spent their first-round draft pick on his replacement.

Jones has been bothered by knee and leg problems in recent years. The club notified him before the draft that it planned to trade or release him. The Bengals took tackle Andre Smith(notes) from Alabama with the sixth overall pick in the draft.

Posted by: abxinc | May 30, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Do not cut Ethan Albright!

Do not mess with a good thing!

Get a kicker, please, but do not let Albright go.

Very stupid idea....

Posted by: edvar | May 30, 2009 12:11 AM | Report abuse

...and as far as I'm concerned, we're STILL looking for a RT. Williams will play guard and Heyer is obviously a career back-up (or at least a couple of years away from starting...)

Levi Jones is hurt too much. Should have grabbed a tackle in the draft.

Posted by: edvar | May 30, 2009 12:17 AM | Report abuse

I heard JLC will be joining the boys in the broadcast booth for the Thursday night games as the play by play man. The truth is the post traded him to the NFL network for some peanuts. This is a complete outrage! JLC is worth at least a pile of beans. Who does the hiring at NFLN, a bunch of howler monkeys? I feel like the loss of JLC has improved out team dramatically, increasing our win total by 4 games, not to mention our moral. It would have been disastrous if JLC had to endure a 12-4 season with a deep push into the playoffs and super bowl contenders. He couldn’t possibly have enough material to cover this team, good move JLC, good move. I’m just joking, good luck with the new gig, I can’t wait for Thursday nights.

Posted by: BallsDeep | May 30, 2009 1:30 AM | Report abuse

I watched Jansen last year (last 2 or 3 really when he broke both thumbs)getting pushed around big time. He had lost it. That said, they are in trouble on the line, so expect at least one free agent signing. Heyer, Bridges and Williams are all backups. Not sure why they watched all those linemen get signed in the draft the last 2 years. Jason Campbell and Clinton Portis, as the last half of the season showed, are average without a serviceable crew in front of them. Thomas, Rabach, and especially Samuels wil continue to get dinged because, guess what, they are old.

Posted by: texasSkinfan | May 30, 2009 5:25 AM | Report abuse

we could have at least traded jansen to the lions for picks...

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | May 30, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Jsnsen was washed up three years ago. ... Parcells... was being interviewed ... mentioned Jansen saying his skills had diminished the year after his ruptured achilles.
-------
That was the main thing that reduced his mobility. The Giant's defensive end prior to that point said Jansen was underrated.

Clue for the future. While there are some good offensive lineman (guards/centers) selected after the 4th round, they are far and in between. Most 7th round tackles are out of the league in 4 years. A good left tackle is especially hard to find.

Posted by: fwroy | May 30, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

The Steelers O-line was almost as bad as ours last year. Campbell is gonna have to deal with it and raise his game. But Campbell doesn't have the wr's that Rothlisberger has.

Posted by: coparker5 | May 31, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

By mid-season, Right Tackle is not going to be as big a concern as Left Tackle will be. Chris Samuels plays well when he's hurt, but he gets hurt every season. He's brave and committed, but his body is giving out. So ...

I hope Mike Williams wins the Right Tackle job; he should. I hope Stephon Heyer practices at Left Tackle so he can be Samuels' primary back-up and take over as the LT starter next season.

(BTW, check out riggosrag.com. I like their articles.)

Posted by: JHG_sec405 | May 31, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

"By the comments of Zorn, look for my boy Heyer to start....Posted by: 4thFloor"

Not sure we're reading the same comments. Heyer's a good player and he already showed in '07 that he can play on the right side, but I think he's a pass blocker first and no great shakes with the run. I wouldn't be surprised to see Bridges open on the right side, if not during camp then by the start of the season.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 31, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

"Not sure why they watched all those linemen get signed in the draft the last 2 years. Jason Campbell and Clinton Portis, as the last half of the season showed, are average without a serviceable crew in front of them. Thomas, Rabach, and especially Samuels wil continue to get dinged because, guess what, they are old.Posted by: texasSkinfan"

Well, in the first place, the O-linemen the Skins wanted were gone by the time they picked. Some fans were irate about them passing on Mike Oher, but it's worth remembering that after that, 8 other teams passed on him, too. As far as Portis and Campbell, I imagine any knowledgeable football coach would agree that most backs are average without an effective group in front of them. Thanks for pointing out that the line is getting older; I've been reading this blog for a few months now, and you're the first person to mention that.

So thanks and you can go back to your nap now.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 31, 2009 11:50 PM | Report abuse

"Should have grabbed a tackle in the draft.
Posted by: edvar"

Which tackle would that be, edvar? Or would any have served?

Posted by: Samson151 | May 31, 2009 11:52 PM | Report abuse

"Should have grabbed a tackle in the draft.
Posted by: edvar"

They meant to only Vinny thought they said "draft someone that can tackle". Seriously though, what Samson said.

As far as Jansen....as much as i liked him I think it was about time for him to go and from what I have read was a good business move. Jansen and Heyer were similar in many respects last year - Jansen could run block and Heyer could pass block. Overall though, they were somewhat equal (giving Jansen a slight edge for experience). If one postulates that Jansen's skills would have continued to decline and that Heyer's skill's could conceivably improve, it becomes almost a no-brainer to release Jansen. Gibbs kept players past their time much like George Allen did - because they believed that experience and wisdom of age balanced out declining skills. But at some point the skills go and I think Jansen was fast approaching that point, if not there already.

Posted by: amaranthpa | June 1, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse