Zorn excited about opportunity

From Jason Reid:

Apparently, Jim Zorn's brief, tumultuous relationship with the Redskins did not ruin his professional reputation.

Zorn went 12-20 in two seasons as Washington's head coach and was fired Jan. 4. The Redskins twice finished last in the NFC East under Zorn, who was stripped of play-calling duties early in the 2009 season.

Zorn had never been a coordinator or head coach until owner Daniel Snyder gave him both jobs - but he was a respected quarterbacks coach. So it wasn't surprising that the Baltimore Ravens pursued Zorn for their quarterbacks coach position, which he accepted Saturday. Zorn replaced Hue Jackson, who recently joined the Oakland Raiders as their offensive coordinator.

And Zorn had other NFL coaching opportunities as well, league sources said. Several teams were interested in Zorn to tutor their quarterbacks, which indicates how highly he was regarded in that role with the Seattle Seahawks before he joined the Redskins. Zorn played a major role in the development of Seattle Pro Bowl quarterback Matt Hasselbeck, Hasselbeck says, and now Baltimore turns to Zorn in an effort to help promising second-year quarterback Joe Flacco continue to improve.

The Baltimore job was the one Zorn wanted most, Zorn said.

"Yes, that was true, there were some others," he said. "But as things went along, I wanted to go also with the situation that I felt ... I just had most interest, in me and with them, in the Ravens. That's kind of how that thing happened.

"And it didn't happen until Thursday, really, which is when things started moving right along. Everybody was hearing 'something,' but I wasn't hearing anything. And there was really no position there until Hue went to the Raiders. And then there was an opening there. Then things started moving."

The Redskins and Ravens often play each other in the preseason, so Zorn could face his former team relatively soon.

"It'll be a little bit different in a preseason game, but I did just get done coaching there," Zorn said. "I remember when we, with me as Redskin coach, went back to Seattle to play against Mike Holmgren [in the 2008 season].

"That's special. It's a special deal. But I don't have any vendettas or things to prove or anything like that. I'm the quarterback coach. It's not like I've got some type of particular wish."

By washingtonpost.com Sports Editor  |  January 31, 2010; 5:14 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Zorn hired by Ravens as quarterbacks coach
Next: Redskins and the all-Decade team

Comments

worst?

Seriously, good luck to Zorny. Can't blame a guy for saying "yes" to an opportunity for which he was woefully unprepared (our HC job), and given the "difficulties" he inherited (read: Snyderatto and all that entails), comported himself with dignity if not effectiveness.

Posted by: hogmeister | January 31, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Zorn always conducted himself with dignity and grace while he was here. Glad he's got a job he likes with the Ravens.

Posted by: League-Source | January 31, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Good for Zorn, can't worry about a guy who is making 2.4 million this year when unemployment is over 10%. Flacco will only improve... Now can we please focus on what's important; The Washington Redskins!!!!!!!!

Posted by: rich20ssu | January 31, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, but I gotta say: It would be funny if the Ravens have him on some kind of low salary with a premium next year....

Posted by: pv1999 | January 31, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

We love to romanticize former players and coaches when they leave here...

Glad he gotta job...but good riddance!

Posted by: rickyroge | January 31, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

another freakin zorny story!!!

How about McCardell on his first coaching job? What's he excited about, what does he think about the Skins WR

Off-season work out plans? Don't we extra mini-camp or OTAs because we have a new coach...

Come on Skins beat people, give something else beside what the last staff is up to.

Liked Zorn as a person, think he was royally screwed over by Vinny this past off-season, but I've moved on and so should you

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 31, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

"..Can't blame a guy for saying "yes" to an opportunity for which he was woefully unprepared (our HC job).."

I'm sorry, I'll blame him.

To quote Eastwood, "A man has got to know his limitations...."

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 31, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

"How about the Skins impression of what players helped themselves at the Sr Bowl?"

Given the Nixonion White House secrecy cloaking most teams' intentions, you'll never find out what team scouts think of various players at the Senior Bowl.

Plus: Mike Mayock pointed out that most teams had already assembled draft boards, meaning, for instance, the skins already know who they want to draft and when.

So while we rave and rant over this guy and that guy, the FO is collecting data and researching the guys they want to get.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 31, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Moe,
I don't think any state secrets would be lost if Allen or Shanahan said Graham and Gilyard had good games.

Might be stating the obvious but at least not another freaking where are they now stories

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 31, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

"Might be stating the obvious, but at least not another freaking, "Where are they now?" stories."

I agree.

This is the time when La Canfora would stir the pot by dropping the occasional thread about something he researched, notices, or just wanted to vent in order to keep this thing flowin'.

It's easy to post threads after a game, but now is when the journalist becomes a fan, and tosses out his own opinions, jibba, stories, reflections, and news bits.

Otherwise, he sits around hoping some ex-redskin gets a job, contract, or promotion so he can have something to write about.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 31, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

I live about 90 minutes from where they'll playing the Pro Bowl, and right now, the biggest story isn't the game.

It's the weather.

And the fan interest.

If the fan interest is what I think it might be, the Pro Bowl will look like a NFL Europe game with about 10,000 fans in the stadium.

Note to Roger: keep the game in Hawaii, but have it during the 'between' weekend before the Super Bowl.

Right now, I bet the stadium in Miami is so empty it'll look like a Marlins game broke out.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 31, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Really? How do you think that convo woulda turned out?

Zenmeister: "Gee, idk Mr. Snyder... I really don't think I'm up to the HC job just yet...

Snyderatto: "Oh, no problem Jimmy-Z...since you were my 15th choice, there're no doubt plenty of other well-qualified and willing candidates, so you just enjoy that OC position..."

NOT

--------------------------------------------

I'm sorry, I'll blame him.

To quote Eastwood, "A man has got to know his limitations...."

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 31, 2010 6:00 PM

Posted by: hogmeister | January 31, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 31, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Moe, NFL Net just claimed that today's crowd would be the largest to ever watch the Pro Bowl. I'm from Miami so I realize they could be referring to average weight per attendee.

If it keeps raining maybe the Cousteau Society will cover the game and it will air on The Weather Channel.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 31, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Zorn might have looked a lot better if he had had a GM who knew that you needed to have at least an adequate offensive line to be successful offensively, and if he did not work for a dysfunctional organization that thought it was ok to undermine the HC and the rest of coaching staff with the way it did things.

Posted by: cannontl | January 31, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

From ESPN:

"The line that separates fun-loving and juvenile is a thin one.

New York Jets coach Rex Ryan crossed it Saturday night, when he was caught on camera displaying a middle finger to Miami Dolphins fans at a mixed martial arts event in Sunrise, Fla."

At the time I wondered why Balt brought in some nondescript position coach (Harbaugh) as HC to replace Billchick when Ryan was the DC and available. I guess this answers my question. I am sure Balt's owner, Steve Bisciotti, is heaving a sigh of relief at this point.

Posted by: TheAnimalFarm | January 31, 2010 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like Michael Irvin has been enjoying the local produce.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 31, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Zorn might have looked a lot better if ...

Posted by: cannontl | January 31, 2010 6:58 PM |

The dud definitely would have looked better if he had a decent haircut.

Posted by: TheAnimalFarm | January 31, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

First of all, F Zorn. Hopefully, this is the very last we hear of him.

And PFT posted this little diddy of our boy Malcolm Kelly. If he could play as well as he freestyles, he might actually be playing tonight:

Beat is hot too.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 31, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

I wish we were talking more about Fletcher and Orakpo at the Pro Bowl instead of more Zorn stuff.

I'm no blogga-hater, but c'mon JReid... you're better than this!

Posted by: TDawg1 | January 31, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 31, 2010 5:57 PM |

Do move on dude. To another blog.

Posted by: TheAnimalFarm | January 31, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse

I'm no blogga-hater, but c'mon JReid... you're better than this!

Posted by: TDawg1 | January 31, 2010 7:15 PM

They won't return his calls.

He has a mancrush on Zorn.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | January 31, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

"Zorn hopes to be a head coach again, "and I'll have the chance now to work with another staff and see how another staff does it," he said. "Hopefully, I'll continue to grow and get another opportunity" to lead a team."

For a dud pushing 60 that is wishy washy wishful thinking.

Posted by: TheAnimalFarm | January 31, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

That looked a lot like LL in coverage, maybe he is a pro-bowler.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | January 31, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

they even called the double move was coming lol, however look at fletch in on all plays tackling hard, tho he wiffed on the first play

Posted by: hcic55 | January 31, 2010 7:45 PM | Report abuse

"NFL Net just claimed that today's crowd would be the largest to ever watch the Pro Bowl."

I stand corrected.

Looks like the typical multi-racial/national South Fla. crowd has descended on the Pro Bowl.

I heard that in order to guarantee good attendance numbers, the NFL bought radio commercial time in several languages where it promised free citizenship to anyone with a ticket stub.

And of course, half the city of Miami showed up hoping to leave the game with a green card.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 31, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

You have to marry the person seated to your left.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 31, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

I see the "drink every time someone calls Fletch a tackling-machine" game is still on.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | January 31, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 31, 2010 7:50 PM |

multi-racial/national South Fla. crowd = Cubans, including Mark

Hah!

Posted by: TheAnimalFarm | January 31, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Let's be real on Zorn. Hasselback was a good, not great QB. Campbell regressed this past season under Zorn.

Good to see Zorn somewhere else. Anywhere else.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 31, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Merrywearther should had laid witten out in that seam route. It would had been a Taylor/Moorman moment.

Posted by: AnthonyMix | January 31, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

so a snowboard bum and a pitbull walk into a local bar in vermont, a conversation strikes up with a distinguished couple from virginia, who drop this--our son ran into mike vick and he said he was going to be a starting qb in the league, for the redskins. book it.

Posted by: mohawk44 | January 31, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations Zorn.

I guess I'll never understand how you didn't get a pass here in Washington; I mean how were you supposed to win with our putrid O-line. I would've liked to see what Zorn could do if he were actually given a playoff roster.

Posted by: Vicc | January 31, 2010 12:42 AM

========================================
funny how everyone talks about how great Bugle was.. yet how putrid the OLine was.. ??
The Oline did very well this year for some average RBs.. Betts, Ganthier, Cartwright, .etc. And the OLine did very well for the few moments Collins came in.. A few plays in the Gints game and the 2007 playoff run.. Ok.. only 80 percent of that line remains on the team.. but nonetheless when Collins came in with the same OLine, that JC "struggled" with..there was no problem.

Come Draft Day...Kyle and Mike will of had 3 full months to watch tape on JC.. I guess, only then, will we see their honest assessment of JC by their selection(s).

(ahh.. I'm so glad the Post pays me for these PPC's..the waters have been chummed for JC bashing).

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 31, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mohawk44 | January 31, 2010 9:18 PM
=================================
Mike Vick in Vermont? Killington?? Haha..

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 31, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Tirico attempting to explain why Dave Gerrard is playing for the AFC.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 31, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

michael vick is the skins starting qb. done.

Posted by: mohawk44 | January 31, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

mike vick in ny; mohawk44 in vermont

Posted by: mohawk44 | January 31, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

A mom is giving her little 3 year old son a bath and he's really inspecting his penis. His mother watches him but says nothing. After a while the boy looks up at his mother and asks "Mom, is this my brain?" The mother replies not yet son, not yet.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 31, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 31, 2010 7:50 PM
===================================
speaking of Green Cards.... what ever happened to Obama's aunt??

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 31, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Peppers and Panthers aren't talking
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 31, 2010 7:56 PM ET
Julius Peppers may not have a preference of where he'll play next season, but it's starting to sound like the Panthers would prefer he play elsewhere.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that the Panthers have not spoken to Julius Peppers about a contract extension and do not plan to place the franchise tag on him.

One source told Schefter: "Their owner [Jerry Richardson] has told people they're not planning to keep him."

....From PFT:

You know that shanny and co. are licking their chops right now with the possibility for this guy to come to town. Could make Carter trade bait, or to build a really strong LB corp. Add K. Dansby, and try to find a decent T to wrap up FA, and head into the draft with a lot of options. No salary cap, no stopping snyder's spending. As long as Shanny thinks he could be a fit, expect danny's deep pockets to do some talking. Would make 4-3 and 3-4 alignment equally as effective

Posted by: PanteraCFH | January 31, 2010 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Someone's smokin' crack up here tonight.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 31, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Vick in Washington? I thought Shanny liked QB's who are accurate.

Posted by: edvar | January 31, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

The only way Vick will ever be in Washington is on the opposing team's sideline.

He's not a starter in this league.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 31, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry but WHO GIVES A SH**

Posted by: MyOhMy | February 1, 2010 12:07 AM | Report abuse

I'm sorry but WHO GIVES A SH**

Posted by: MyOhMy | February 1, 2010 12:08 AM | Report abuse

nothing personal but F theAnimalFarm

Posted by: noonefromtampa | February 1, 2010 12:15 AM | Report abuse

Jim Zorn is a good guy. He got lead into a situation that he was not quite prepared for and was hung up like a lamb to slaughter. He handled the entire mess very well and that speaks a lot about the guy he is. I have no doubt he will get another opportunity to be a head coach again. Novr Turner got a job, Spurrier, Marvin Lewis, Mike Nolan, Terri Robiskie, just about all you can think of. Marty Schottenhiemer is in a broadcast booth someplace and was probably better than all these guys.

Posted by: Blueslegend | February 1, 2010 1:26 AM | Report abuse

"For a dud that is pushing sixty..."

He's 56, right? I was surprised to learn that. Looks and acts younger.

Does help explain why he took the Skins job, however. His coach-o-logical clock was ticking.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 1, 2010 4:49 AM | Report abuse

Couldn't this worthless excuse for a coach at least take his former protoge and worthless excuse for a quarterback with him?

Posted by: Vic1 | February 1, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse