Zorn Finds Year 2 Much 'Easier'

A year ago at this time, Coach Jim Zorn was trying to familiarize himself with his new players and coaches. He was installing a new playbook and working with quarterback Jason Campbell, whom Zorn declared the starter over Todd Collins (who'd led the team into the playoffs).

In Year 2, Zorn is more comfortable.

"There's a lot of things that are easier," Zorn said. "I know everybody's name. I don't necessarily need to teach the offense to the offensive staff, as well as the players. There's a lot of good coaching going on. I remember last year, I'd be coaching both the coaches and the players. Not coaching, but talking about the offense. Now, I step in and it's already taken care of. That makes it easier. I'm just more excited because I can do different and more things."

By Zach Berman  |  June 2, 2009; 11:30 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Don't Look for Thomas until Training Camp
Next: Portis, Rogers Practice Today

Comments

Funny... I heard this exact same quote on ESPN radio this morning at about 7 a.m.

Posted by: HenryHog | June 2, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Imagine.

First half of the year, our lame offense actually had the upper hand against defenses.

The last half, we were figured out and Zorn never even tried anything new.

Now after one full year, and one offseason to dissect a bland, boring uncreative offense. We'll get destroyed this year.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | June 2, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

There might be some truth and hope to this.

Last year, Zorn said he didn't want to install his entire system as it would overwhelm the offensive players who'd just been overwhelmed by Al Saunders.

Perhaps we all just need to be a little patient with this hybrid WCO offense thing.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 2, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Campbell had a 78.2 passer rating in the NFC East. How did the other QBs fare vs the Skins in 2008?
romo vs Skins 81.7
mcnabb vs Skins 74.5
manning vs Skins 74.8

All the naysayers who think this kid just can't cut it, from Danny Snyder on down, are missing it. When compared to the other QBs in the division, Jason Campbell is right there with them.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 2, 2009 2:31 AM

Dude - what's "missing it" is your stats. They gloss over one serious problem: they are for the whole season and do not track the stark decline of Campbell and the team from the 1st half to the second half. Which leads to another point. I am sure after the season was completed and the odor of the 2nd half collapse was still stinkin' away there was a "Come to Jesus" meeting with the FO and the coaches and the question was asked: "What the fork happened?" It was time for the coaches to do some splainin'. We all know the various stories that could have been trotted out to make some sense of the situation. We don't know which ones actually were but we do know that the defense was upgraded, an attempt was made to upgrade QB and not much if anything was done to upgrade the OL, WR or RB situations.

Posted by: AntonChigurh | June 2, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

DikShuttle,

The rule I had was I had to try NEW beers, I went to college in philly I have been drinking Yeungling's Black & Tan since I was 19, prefer the Yeungling's porte.

This was no amateur hour at the improve for me, I consider myself a grizzled beer vet at my age. I did not just wander to a local 7-11 in searching for these brews and trying them out. You have beers on that list that are $20 a bottle. I will look into Chimay Blue if I can find it in the area.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 2, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | June 2, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

No slight intended, Alex!

I could tell by your impressive list you were versed in the vernacular of the hopps (SttfP?).

And I did fully miss the "New" angle. There are quite a few I haven't sampled either.

I noticed from the Chicken thread you were proppin' out "Lil' Peru" over by Flower & Piney Branch. Are you over in that area, or is it convenient?

If so- Chimay Blue was on sale at the County store right there (by the best Indian/Asian 5&10 I'ver EVER seen). Also, the little supermarket at Woodside (4Corners) has a nice selection. Don't buy the food there, though - just the libation.

Posted by: DikShuttle | June 2, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Alan4, Heyer also got the call last season ahead of Jansen. That's likely why he's in the lead not the competition. I am looking forward to you of all people coming up here this season and acknowledging you were wrong about Heyer and the o-line. Bridges is going to play inside if anywhere. In the meantime, try another note on that horn you're blowing.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 2, 2009 8:51 AM

I hope I'm wrong, learnedhand, because I cheer for the Skins to win. Sadly, I just don't consider the fact that Heyer "got the call" briefly over someone Zorn couldn't wait to get rid of (despite a big cap hit) a major achievement. Especially when Jansen actually beat him out *again* late in the season. That tells me Zorn/Buges considers them nearly equal, i.e cut-worthy, with age and injury history probably the deciding factor on who's still here.

Posted by: Alan4 | June 2, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Zeese- You have to try the Chimay Blue. I know you live in the city, so can't help you where to find it, but in the 'burbs, at Corridor in Laurel, you can get the 750ml bottle for like 10 or 11 bucks.
It's amazing...you'll be glad you tried it.

Posted by: 4-12 | June 2, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

I lived there 2 years back but get up there in a blue moon. I will check it out, I consider myself less "versed in the vernacular of the hopps" as you put it, but more acquiring a mastery of malts, as I am more of a ale-stout-porter man.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 2, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Since we're talking about such an important part of football - beer, i'll put in my recommendation for a place to buy good beer. There is a small store at the cornern of 2nd and Rhode Island Ave, NW called Timor Bodega. They have a really nice selection of lagers, ales, stouts, porters,... from different microbrewers around the country. My favorite is Arrogant Bastard mmm....

Posted by: thor2 | June 2, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Still want to see a photo of Jasno and Snidely Owl duking it out in their suits as a banner for RI ...

Posted by: periculum | June 2, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Those Zorn quotes are from a Redskins.com interview during the first OTAs...

I expect the offense to be much better this year. That is one reason why the Skins let Jansen go. He couldn't pass block effectively against the NFC East speed rushers and they are trying to implement a WCO offense predicated on the pass. In addition, almost all the skill players have a year of experience in the new offense.

The OL is the wild card. If they can pass block, stay healthy, and develop quality depth; then the Skins should be more successful this year.

Posted by: siris | June 2, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Zorny...glad you feel comfortable this year?? But I wouldnt unpack completely.
Your bosses committed 150 Mil to two defensive FA acquisitions.. and Zero to acquiring a premier WR and/or building some OL depth (Dockery was waived/released) which the lack of the same, is what took the team from 6-2 to 2-6.
Most likely the 2009 Draft sand bagging (no early round Offensive picks and all 2010 picks in tact) was in prep for Shanahan given his prior WCO SF relationship with Cerrato and his announcement that he wants to return to coaching in 2010.
Zorny, you're a nice guy, but you're just polishing a turd and keeping the seat warm.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | June 2, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: siris | June 2, 2009

IF, MAYBE, boy would they be LUCKY ... Williams comes all the way back and drops to 345 or lower ... 320-330 would be optimal ... moves to left tackle with Samuels at right tackle. You might have something that would work ... Williams is a former high 1st round draft pick. That would put two 1st rounders at the tackle positions. Samuels for sure would make the pro bowl if he can stay healthy and COME BACK as well! Dockery at guard, Rabach at center, Thomas would be the very weak link. I doubt that the healthy Rhinehart will step up. Backups could be better with Bridges, Heyer, etc. Big IF though.

Posted by: periculum | June 2, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Anybody got college prospects for T/C/G next year's draft?

Posted by: Rypien11 | June 2, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

I did check. They have it at Brickskeller, the best pub in DC. http://www.lovethebeer.com/beer-list.html

Posted by: alex35332 | June 2, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Yo mama' is the no 1 prospect at T... :)

Posted by: alex35332 | June 2, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Brickskeller is THE place for beer & has been most of my life.

We went there once w/ the crew from Alvin Ailey and convinced the bar that my friend Dave was Kelvin Bryant!! hahahahahaha.

Bill was in the $K's range. Glad the troupe picked it up!!

I've gotta take Mrs. Shuttle there onna dese dayze

Posted by: DikShuttle | June 2, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Actually isn't Eminem the #1 prospect for "T" ?? (baggin', that is...)

Posted by: DikShuttle | June 2, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Throwing up Beeps.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | June 2, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Beer recommendation from here on Martha's Vineyard....
Off Shore Ale (Brewery pub at OakBluffs) or Harpoon IPA.. Drinks are on the house if you're wearing anything "Redskins".. (sorry Danny and Vinny, this offer does not include you).
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++