Zorn focused despite talk Redskins are courting Mike Shanahan

Coach Jim Zorn says he remains focused on the final three games despite numerous reports the Redskins are in negotiations to hire Mike Shanahan as their next coach.

"I'm not aware of that and I wouldn't even try to go there," Zorn said. "I'm not looking towards what's going to happen this offseason or next season yet.

"We're right in the middle of it, for us. I'm kind of excited where we're headed. I wouldn't address" the reports about Shanahan and the Redskins.

At his introductory news conference Thursday, Bruce Allen, Washington's new executive vice president of football operations and general manager, said he would evaluate Zorn over the remainder of the season. Zorn is under contract in 2010 and would be owed about $2.5 million if he were fired.

By Jason Reid  |  December 18, 2009; 2:29 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cerrato denies report that he'll be a consultant
Next: Stephon Heyer may not play in Redskins game against New York Giants

Comments

first??

Posted by: Skins2 | December 18, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Zorn = Zombie = Dead Man Walking

Posted by: RedDMV | December 18, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

london fletcher is 5th in pro bowl balloting for inside LB on the NFC squad. this is a joke. HE NEEDS TO BE VOTED IN. vote early, vote often at nfl.com.....

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | December 18, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

the above link is the WaPo pic gallery of the Raiders game. click on pic #16 to see ya boy Skins in Sichuan! I hope the fellas can stay focused for the Monday nighter. Hate the giants man, I hates 'em.

Posted by: SkinsInSichuan | December 18, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Good for Jim Zorn, he finally says the right thing. But it is over for him in DC. Still, if he gets the guys to play well, maybe he'll get a better job at his next stop.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 18, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

What is the purpose of a new coach when the old stock is on the rise. Focus on offensive line, add a defensive tackle, keep Portis to play out his contract, trade or release Betts and EL, we should be OK. Without shame, I'm one of those that actually belief in this team,that's why I predicted 13-3 season, but I have apologize for my ignorance; however, I will always pick the Skins, good, bad or ugly, just a die hard fan.

Posted by: abxinc | December 18, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Zorn is probably outta here...but there is still some meaningful season to be played. Meaningful because the Skins can ruin both the Giants and Cowboys seasons in back to back weeks on national television.

It might not salvage the season, but it would certainly make me feel better knowing we broke those clowns.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | December 18, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsInSichuan

Sweet!!

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 18, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

4th, I hope the next diaper you change is a complete blowout, and ends up all over your clothes.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 18, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

SkinsInSichuan,
So you're not in sichuan.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | December 18, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

I agree Zorn has way to steep of a learning curve to be a head coach but if the team plays hard the rest of the season I could see him getting a job as a OC or maybe as a lower level college coach.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 18, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

I know I'm a hater but I can't stand Shanahan!

Gruden, Cowher, Zorn, or Jerry Gray.

Posted by: filmchis | December 18, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I think Zorn would be a really good college coach.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 18, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Not good news from the Times:

It looks like Will Robinson, promoted from the practice squad just last week, could start at right tackle on Monday.

Starting right tackle Stephon Heyer has been unable to practice the past two days after tweaking his long-ailing right knee during Wednesday's workout.

"I'm disappointed that his knee hasn't come around as fast as it had a week ago," said coach Jim Zorn.

Rather than move career right tackle Mike Williams over from right guard and putting Will Montgomery (a starter in Weeks 6-7 & 9) or rookie Edwin Williams (Week 12) back into the lineup, Zorn said he'll gamble on the totally untested Robinson to battle Giants star defensive end Justin Tuck.

"He's going to have a great challenge ahead of him," Zorn said. "We'll try to help him [with double-teams] if we can. He's got good feet. He's enthusiastic. He's got a good punch and he seems to be athletic."

The 24-year-old Robinson, whose last action was a senior at San Diego State, is excited.

"If I get an opportunity to start, it'll be a fun time for me," said Robinson, who spent his rookie year of 2008 on Seattle's injured reserve list. "I've been looking forward to this for a long time, worked my way through the ranks. Hopefully, I can prove myself worthy to stay out there."

The 6-foot-5, 297-pound Robinson, while acknowledging Tuck's experience and strength, said he hopes to counter his rival's physical style with his "quick feet."

Robinson would be the 11th lineman to start a game for the Redskins this year. His presence would also give Washington its eighth different lineup up front in 14 games.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 18, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

I think Zorn would be a really good college coach.

Is Good College a Division III school?

Posted by: daggar | December 18, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

I think we all agree the Portis' best days are behind him. If we get Shanahan, does Portis step it up for his old coach? And if not, does Shanahan have any loyalty to Postis and let Portis continue his lazy "I'm to sore to practice" ways?

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | December 18, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

he seems to be athletic.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | December 18, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Snyder,

Please do not make the same mistake again - Let this team (players and coaches) gel. It's obvious that something good is starting to happen. We're starting to play well on the offensive side of the ball, and that's with backups on the offensive line.

This team (coaches and players) have just needed time to mature together.

Like Joe Gibbs says, "Continuity is the key".

This could be a really good team next year - let's not start from scratch again.

Posted by: SkinsFan2111 | December 18, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

and this from the Times:

Albert Haynesworth will start on Monday after missing last week and two of the previous three games with a sprained left ankle. That was the word from coach Jim Zorn after the All-Pro defensive tackle fully participated in today's practice.

There was also positive news on Pro Bowl cornerback DeAngelo Hall and Pro Bowl fullback Mike Sellers although both were limited today. Hall, out three games with a sprained right knee, flashed the thumbs-up sign when asked if he would ready to face the Giants while Sellers, sidelined last week with internal bleeding in his left thigh, said he would be able to go.

Defensive tackle Cornelius Griffin (shoulder) and reserve safety Kareem Moore (ankle) were limited but are also expected to play

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 18, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

When Shanahan had control of Broncos personnel, he managed to find several mid-late round steals: Brandon Marshall, Eddie Royal, Clinton Portis, Tony Scheffler, and Tatum Bell, among others. Apart from those players' production, which was above expectations, they also share another similarity: They all play on the offensive side of the ball.

Shanahan was rightfully criticized in Denver for ignoring the team’s defense on draft day, and when he put disproportionate emphasis on the defensive side of the ball, he frequently missed.

Despite solid picks like Darrent Williams, Dominique Foxworth, and Elvis Dumervil, Shanahan frequently picked players who were poor fits for the Broncos scheme at the time (Jarvis Moss and Ian Gold, most notably, but Dumervil could be argued also).

Posted by: malcolmyoung1 | December 18, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Not bad news at all. We get to see if this guy can measure up. Worst case, he can't, and we still need somebody to replace Heyer as starter.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 18, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

anyone have any further information on this will robinson cat??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 18, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 18, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Makes complete sense, all I have to say is good luck Jason.

Is Zorn actually trying to get Campbell injured?

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | December 18, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

BG just when things started to settle down on the OL. Well JC better get has cardio up because he'll have to make plays with his legs.

Posted by: TWISI | December 18, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I could see Jim Zorn being a coach in a Division II school, somewhere in the south or southwest, warm weather school, which would work better with his system.

With most of these non-eliet schools and conferences, you don't need to be able to make an entire team elite, just competent and have 1 or 2 spots you can coach up.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 18, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

beep
beep

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | December 18, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

JZ is not gonna get run because he is not a good guy, or for lack of effort, or because his team quit on him. He is a great guy, gives 200% of his heart and soul into his efforts, and the team is still playing their azzes off.

He is gonna get run because he mismanages game day decisions, his play calling is suspect, and he failed to develop his young players quickly enough when it mattered.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 18, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Given his ties to the region, I thought Zorn would be perfect for the head coaching vacancy at Portland State, but alas they've already filled that vacancy with some other dude.

I'm sticking by my prediction of over a month ago that Snyder will resist his urge to fire Zorn during the season -- since he doesn't want to reinforce the perception of himself as the kind of compulsively meddling owner who repeatedly does such a thing -- and will wait to fire him until the plane ride home from San Diego, in the wee hours of the morning of January 4. Book it.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 18, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Will Robinson

*Undrafted in 2008
*Went to San Diego St.
*Was on Seattle's practice squad

That's about it.

Me myself, I'm not impressed with a sub 300 pound dude ANYwhere on the line.

MALLL-LURS... GRAY-DURS

Posted by: RedDMV | December 18, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Makes complete sense, all I have to say is good luck Jason.

Is Zorn actually trying to get Campbell injured?

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | December 18, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

I think the idea here is:

1 good guard + 1 crappy tackle is better than

1 crappy guard + 1 crappy tackle

See this way JC only has to run away from 1 defender instead of 2.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 18, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

I respect Jim Zorn alot he has shown just what kind of person he really is it's hard to go to work everyday knowing the boss wants you gone and still be able to give maximun effort on the task at hand. At the same time still being able to look the players in the eye and ask them to fight for him shows a lot of courage and dignity. I still hold out hope that we keep our core together but just like my old 3rd period class he's History

HTTR!!! RIP#21 4EVER

Posted by: cpt55back | December 18, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Zorn sealed his fate earlier this year with those pathetic gameplans against terrible football teams and his refusal/inability to make adjustments. The fact that the offense only got better after Sherm Lewis' arrival doesn't help Zorn's cause. He a nice man. I wish him the best but I want to watch some competitive football again.

Posted by: coparker5 | December 18, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan would make a good coach. Idiots radio announcers and bloggers are saying that he has not won anything without John Elway. Has Bill Parcells won any super bowls without Lawrence Taylor. Bill Belicheck's record in the NFL was 41-55 prior to Tom Brady becoming the starting quarterback. These are idioti arguments and this man was an expert and developing offensive lineman as evidenced by Denver having 6 different 1,000 yard rushers in a 9 year period. His Offensive Lines were so effective that big bad tough defenders would complain about cut blocks and chop blocks.

Posted by: impartial1 | December 18, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Nate,
Portland would be a good school for Zorn. What about Western Oregon, Western Washington or Humboldt St.

BTW did the Humboldt St Fighting Bongwaters do this year?

Posted by: alex35332 | December 18, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan's number of playoff victories post-Elway is one. His 1000-yard rushers is due to having Alex Gibbs, who is regarded as one of the best O-Line coaches of all times along with Buges. Shanahan has the bigger name, but Gruden proved he could win a Super Bowl without a HOF QB on the roster. A strong D-Coordinator would be needed given Shanahan strength is offense.

Hopefully, assuming he's hired, it will be as head coach and he'll still with JC for at least a couple of years before anointing a rookie is the savior like he did with Cutler.

Posted by: wizfan89 | December 18, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Not good news from the Times:

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 18, 2009 2:51 PM

Will Robinson! Will Robinson!
I remember when he was a kid on Lost in Space.

Posted by: skinfanman | December 18, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

I think Vinny and Jim could still have lesser positions with the team next season and make a significant contribution. I'm visualizing those two with gator aid bottles; squirting electrolites in the mouths of the plays on the side lines. Do not underestimate the importance of proper hydration, my friends.

Posted by: nomolehill | December 18, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

How about Russ Grimm for HC? Why have we stopped talking about him. He would make sure our O-Line is a focal point, coach 'em up and emphasize the running game again. Maybe a CJ Spiller or a Jahvid Best. Or we could ensure we get top ranked O-Lineman and pick up R Bush in free agency for cheap. No one will pay him that much for what he gives you other than maybe New Orleans.

Posted by: noltondavis1330 | December 18, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

SHANAHAN WAS A LOSER! WITHOUT ELWAY, HE COULD NEVER WIN! HE WAS FIRED CAUSE HE SUCKED!

Posted by: KurtShanaman | December 18, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

SHANAHAN SUCKED IN OAKLAND TOO!

Posted by: KurtShanaman | December 18, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

I SAY RISS GRIMM FOR HEAD COACH-SHANAHAN SUCKED SO BAD IN DENVER AND YES-HE DRAFTED CUTLER, WHO LIKE SHANAHAN-SUCKS!

anointing a rookie is the savior like he did with Cutler.
SKINSFANINVOLCANO HI

Posted by: KurtShanaman | December 18, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

nomolehil YOU SUCK TOO

Posted by: KurtShanaman | December 18, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Keep Zorn and Campbell for one more year and see how it goes..............period. They are playin ball now man and yeah its too late but not there fault, o-line fault. could be d good next year man, change coach and freakn for the millionth time the snyder cycle starts over again...........zorn znd campbell stays yo, merry christmas and God bless!!

Posted by: ebbline | December 18, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse