Zorn Not "Comfortable" with Activating Kelly

Jason Reid reports:

Rookie wide receiver Malcolm Kelly will be inactive for the fourth time in five weeks this season, Jim Zorn said.

"He's not going to participate," he said. "He's getting better, but I'm going to deactivate him, I can tell you that right now.

By Cindy Boren  |  October 3, 2008; 1:33 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Springs, Washington Will Be Game-Time Decisions (Updated)
Next: NFL.com Voters Name Zorn Coach of Week

Comments

Blog comments seem to disappear around here, while new topics mysteriously appear.

Mysterious Type is acting up again, Cindy.

Posted by: tafka | October 3, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Taylor and Kelly haven't played enough with this team to really know the tendencies of the respective defenses and offenses, so why rush them back? Let them learn by watching as they heal. If the team continues to win, they will be needed more later in the year anyway. (It's a long season and other players will wear down or be injured along the way.)

Posted by: tafka | October 3, 2008 1:30 PM |

Posted by: tafka | October 3, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I think you guys have figured out how to counetr all the" JLC sucks" posts. Put up so much new stuff, no one gets to read the comments...

Posted by: Corkczar | October 3, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

As for Marcus Washington, it's time to phase him out of the starting lineup and work Blades in full-time. Marcus has been a warrior, but he is looking "done" these days. Playing part-time in situations where he is still strong seems the best way to extend his value to the team, while getting Blades ready for the future.

Posted by: tafka | October 3, 2008 1:34 PM

Posted by: tafka | October 3, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

i hope the skins destroy the iggles like the way they used to destroy us. let the new era of domination begin! it's def. time!

Posted by: dealer1 | October 3, 2008 1:29 PM |

Dealer, we need another outrageous game/score prediction from you again like the one you made before the Dallas game last week.

Posted by: tafka | October 3, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

"He just hasn't participated enough in our team responsibilities for me to feel comfortable with him running the routes. What I have been excited about is that what he has done, he's been able to go full speed with." --JIM ZORN

Wow, I can translate Urdu and speak passable Jive, but I'll be danged if I can translate that into English from coachspeak.

But if I was guessing, I'd say Zorn is of the opinion that Kelly really doesn't want it enough and still doesn't know the playbook. Otherwise, why not come out and say: "We'd love to have him out there, but he just hasn't healed yet."

Thoughts?

Posted by: Corkczar | October 3, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I'm not "comfortable" either, but that has more to do with the lousy ergonomics of this desk chair. And its location in an office setting.

I anticipate being more comfortable at 10am Pacific Sunday, with my mitts on, let's say, a Bloody Mary, surrounded by teevees and at least a couple of diehard Skins fans representing in downtown Portland. Hailing our guts out and so forth. Yes, yes.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 3, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

In Hoops, maybe. But aside from the cowboys and the skins, I'm not sure of any other team that favors the light unis at home.

Posted by: Corkczar

Miami used to for a long time, still does due to warm weather. As did the Chargers. Eagles go back and forth every few seasons. They used to have all whites year round. Didn't the Baltimore Colts go all whites and the old Jets?

Posted by: alex35332 | October 3, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gweez | October 3, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Cork,

He is saying he does not know enough to play yet, but what he does know he is doing at full speed.

Do you have to put a negative spin on everything.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 3, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

This sounds kinda like a guy describing his unattractive sister to a friend of his she wants to date. Or Elayne describing George as "balding and stocky."

I mean come on: "...what we're excited about is what he has done, he's been able to go full speed with."

"Not BALD, bald-ING!"

Posted by: Corkczar | October 3, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone been able to explain why we are 6 point dogs to philly? basically on a neutral field they would be favored by 3?

Dont get me wrong, I like the motivational factor... but do peeps really think Dallas lost that game or we won it?

Posted by: Zeebs | October 3, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

It really doesn't have to do with how the odds makers feel we played in Dallas. When you think objectively, we are the team with a still young and unproven QB playing for a first time, and very unproven head coach. The Eagles has a healthy, well-proven QB playing for an established well proven coach. Add to that the eagles sack stat and most would say this would be the week Campbell and Zorn struggle keeping the Offense as on track as they have been.

Their basically hedging on the fact that at somepoint our rookiness in key positions will lead to mistakes and that the Eagles are established enough to cause the mistakes and take advantage of it.

If we play like we did against Arizona and Dallas (mistake free and solid football).. we should take this game. But they are betting the odds that we will most likely stumble in this game.

Posted by: fbchick | October 3, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Cork,

here is how I translate it:

"we're going to cut Malcolm Kelly on Monday"

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 3, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Malcom Kelley's new nickname shoud be Peanut Brittle

Posted by: GreatOne1 | October 3, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

I admit, I've been pretty down on this kid. But remember, at the end of pre-season, there was a good chance he was going on IR for the year, and wouldn't have been allowed to even practice.

Now, he's (slowly) getting healthy, getting reps, and starting to show the coaches why they drafted him in the first place.

Which is a very long winded way of me saying, hey, they're 3-1 (THREE AND M'EFFING ONE!) without him, and with a HUGE game this weekend, a chance to play some violent f****ng football, Redskins football, up there at the Linc, and put a slobberknockering beatdown on the damn turquoise and gray!!

Posted by: 4-12 | October 3, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Phew. Decaf for my next cup....

Posted by: 4-12 | October 3, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Cork,

Do you have to put a negative spin on everything.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 3, 2008 1:47 PM

Flounder, are you really Donald Rumsfeld? Because it sounds like the ol "there are known knowns and unknown knowns" argument.

As far as "negative" is concerned...Tell it to head coach Jim Zorn. Who was the first guy to criticize kelly's unpreparednes? Lack of conditioning? JIM ZORN. NOT Cork.

You got problems with negativity, tell it to Zorn. Or tell it to the hand. i don't care.

But if you aren't upset that a highly paid 2nd round draft pick doesn't know the playbook yet--which it appears he does not--you are the one who is NOT the true Redskin fan.

Posted by: Corkczar | October 3, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Actually it's pretty simple what he said.

"What I have been excited about is that what he has done, he's been able to go full speed with."

Translation: Kelly is finally healthy.

Translation: He hasn't practiced enough for me to feel comfortable with him running routes.

We're not deciphering KGB messages here. It's pretty self-explanatory, actually.

Posted by: psps23 | October 3, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Flound, let it go, don't take the bait, you're better than this....let Corky live in his fantasy world...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 3, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

sween; regarding the team colors.

Basically you have to specify a home and away, but not necessarily are tied to that decision. Think of it more as a preferred and back up, sometimes with a third jersey.

That is why we can go white on white, or red on red, or third... it is up to us.

JZ said he might have us wearing red at home like other teams, but since it was so hot with NO and Ari we went white.

basically we couldnt wear blue pants or a green jersey unles they were part of the three combos we submit...

Posted by: Zeebs | October 3, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Lines are based on the number of bets placed one way to another. Lines are placed to try to get people betting evenly on each side so no matter the outcome the bookie wins the "Juice". That is their sole purpose. Don't read anything else into them.

Posted by: Gweez | October 3, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

If you think about it Andy Reid is probably the best HC we have faced to date, maybe Tommy the Mad Blue Dwarf but I give the edge to Reid.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 3, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

I guess that is why I dont bet Gweez

By the by

beep Beepo

Posted by: Zeebs | October 3, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Here's my positive spin for the day.

Devin Thomas 4 balls 83 yards and a TD.

I figure if I keep predicting a breakout game for this kid, it will happen eventually.

Of all the Redskins first four rounds of picks, this is the guy I think has the most upside. He only had one season of major college ball, which may be what's taking him so long.

Posted by: Corkczar | October 3, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

I am as frustrated about #12 as you guys but I think we need to give him - and #11 - some time. Rookie receivers are notoriously slow to develop, it's just the way it is. Now granted he's further behind than most, but let's try to be patient. They didn't take him in the 2nd round for no reason. I figure if I keep telling myself this, it'll come true. Not unlike ignoring my credit card debt and my hot psycho ex/neighbor will make them go away. Makes sense right?

HTTR casitas

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 3, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Odds makers are not trying to predict the score. They make their money by having an even amount of bets on both sides of the line and collecting the "juice". They must think 6 points is a number that will get people to evenly bet both teams. That's all.

Posted by: rich20ssu | October 3, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Robert Meacham didn't even get on the field for the Saints last year and this year he's looking very solid and a big play threat. Let's not bury Kelly after 4-5 games.

Posted by: rich20ssu | October 3, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

JLAC...You rule.
Zorn is worried about Kelly..while the Skins had the number one preseason NFL receiver on the roster and CUT HIM!!! Billy McMullen is now the Go To receiver for the Seahawks..
Thanks Vinn"EGO".. you couldnt accept a free agent beating out your 2 WR draft picks.. so you picked EGO over Team.

Posted by: reader51 | October 4, 2008 12:52 AM | Report abuse