Zorn on Anniversary of Taylor's Death

From Barry Svrluga

The first anniversary of Sean Taylor's death doesn't come until Thanksgiving day, but Taylor's presence is still felt daily at Redskins Park. Though Coach Jim Zorn was not with the team when Taylor, Washington's Pro Bowl safety, was shot at his Miami area home Nov. 26 and died a day later, he is aware of the impact of Taylor's loss on the entire franchise.

"It was a gash," Zorn said.

Because of that, Zorn thought it was important to remind his players of Taylor before those from outside the organization reminded them of the anniversary. So he brought a collage of Taylor photos that normally hangs outside his office to a team meeting yesterday morning.

"I just wanted to make sure that these guys knew that he was the kind of player that these guys wanted to practice like and play like," Zorn said. "And that's part of the memory that we need to keep alive here on this football team, just the kind of player he was."

Current Redskins were asked about Taylor's memory yesterday by members of the media, a development Zorn said he anticipated.

"It was very tender then," Zorn said, "and now, with the anniversary of it ..... it'll be next week that will kind of be that week that things are going to be a little tender. I want to make sure I bring it up now and that all of a sudden it doesn't catch somebody off-guard."

...

Jason La Canfora will take your questions in his weekly chat at 1 p.m. today.

By Cindy Boren  |  November 20, 2008; 9:45 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Of Pro Bowls and Holmgren
Next: If You Can't Rush the Passer, Blitz Him

Comments

Troll!

Posted by: Soup17 | November 20, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

95% of the players in the NFL are black. But the head coach ratio less than 1%. I'm sure it had nothing to do with race.

Posted by: poolman1200000 | November 20, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Good stuff, Zorn. R.I.P. #21, we miss you.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 20, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

RIP #21
May the Redskins find inspiration in your memory and carry your legacy through to the playoffs!

Posted by: Soup17 | November 20, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

95%??? 1%??? PLEASE BACK UP THESE NUMBERS WITH A LINK OR SOMETHING POOLMAN.

Sorry about caps lock....

Posted by: Zeebs | November 20, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Not much to say when the subject of the post is Sean Taylor.

RIP. God only knows how much we miss you.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 20, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

ITA on the child guys, ITA....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 20, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Cindy, remember there is something in place called freedom of speech. The washingon post gave you the forum. Pleae don't take away my basic right to voice my opinion. It has taken 430 years to even get to this point.

Posted by: poolman1200000 | November 20, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

zeebs,

I think you are asking a little to much from a pee brain like poolman.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 20, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Seriously Poolman...you're setting us black folks back about 20+ years with this crap. Get a new schtick.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 20, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Are you serious ? Do the math.

Posted by: poolman1200000 | November 20, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Poolman, do you think you could at least respect just THIS ONE thread and leave your incessant nonsense out?

Posted by: Rypien11 | November 20, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

No, you make the claim, its on you to back it up and prove its not sensationalism.....

Posted by: Zeebs | November 20, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

I'm setting a race back by telling the truth ? So I guess slavery never happened.

Posted by: poolman1200000 | November 20, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CindyBoren | November 20, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Cork, I think that the redskins corners are playing well enough that you can risk putting 8 guys in the box to stop the run.
Leave Landry deep to take away the long pass, and put all the LB and Corners up to stop Barber.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 20, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: poolman1200000

Got a crisp new twenty says Poolman is really a racist white guy.

Posted by: TheCork | November 20, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

should have read, put all lb, and Horton up to stop the run.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 20, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: poolman1200000 | November 20, 2008 10:04 AM

It happened...200 years ago! Move on...

And to echo Rypien11's sentiment, kill all this race nonsense at least for the sake of the Taylor post. It's inappropriate AT ALL TIMES, but especially when talking about the late #21.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 20, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

+++zeebs,

I think you are asking a little to much from a pee brain like poolman.

Posted by: Flounder21 +++

I was gonna note that you spelled "pea" wrong. But in this context, responding to a guy called Poolman? Your spelling is freaking genius, Flounder, even if it was inadvertant.

Posted by: TheCork | November 20, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

No, but one cannot move forward until he learns from the past. You griping about something that was abolished in the 1800's, almost tore this country in half, and has been trying to heal since then is not being helped by you attacking all white people on this board saying we were handed things in life.

I repeat, we cannot move forward until we allow the wounds to heal. Your constant talk about just keeps those wounds open and keeps our country divided. Makes it seem like you dont want a unified country where race, creed, sexual orientation or ethnicity doesnt matter.

Really it seems like you just want to stir the pot...

Posted by: Zeebs | November 20, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

It sucks that the Reaper is no longer here. Hard to believe it's been a year. RIP #21

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 20, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Actually poolman I did the math there are 32 coaching position in the NFL 6 are held by African Americans, this is 18.7%

And actually according to Wiki the NFL is 70% black.

So like I said before you have a pee brain.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 20, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

there are 1920 players in the NFL (53 man roster + 7 man practice squad * 32 teams). There are 32 head coaches. That makes ther ration of Head coaches to players 1.667%.

of the 32 head coaches, 7 are black (Tony Dungy, Lovie Smith, Herman Edwards, Marvin Lewis, Mike Tomlin, Romeo Crennel and Mike Singletary). So about 22% of active head coaches are black.

Feel free to check my math.

Poolman, where does your 1% figure come from. After you clarify, I will gladly ITA.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 20, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Flounder, sensationalism.... Wonder why you would skew (or I could really say lie) about the facts. Whats your angle? What are you looking to accomplish?

Cork, I agree with your assessment.

Posted by: Zeebs | November 20, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Poolman,

Shouldn't you be cleaning someone's pool?

Posted by: Devo2 | November 20, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

OE,

Thanks I forgot about Singletary.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 20, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Got a crisp new twenty ....

Posted by: TheCork | November 20, 2008 10:06 AM

You're doing better than I am, Cork. Just checked my IRA and I don't even have a crisp new ten.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 20, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

+++"Fair enough. But I do think the 'pokes might have been looking for that, and then audibled out of a run, go play action and hit either TO or Williams deep to put the game out of reach"

Posted by: BeantownGreg++++

Keeping in mind that Blache has forgotten more about defensive strategy than you and I ever knew, let me continue the conversation.

First of all, the corners can't be two places at one time. If they are covering Williams and TO one-on-one, they can't be "playing up" to stop Barber. If they are peeking in to the backfield, looking for Barber, the play action will cause them a fatal hesitation.

A single safety can't cover two WRs. The other problem is witten in the middle. With one safety in the box and the other deep, it's wide open for that pro-bowl receiver.

Again, it gets back to the DL studs stopping them. And with the lightweight DEs the Redskins have, they are going to be worn down by game's end.

And if you thought it was bad with Dallas' OL, wait'll you see the Giants.

This, above all is the reason why the skins must open the offense up, get a lead and drain the clock themselves, instead of watching their opponents doing it.

Be nice to play small ball a la Zorn, but with the hand he's been dealt by Cerrato's personnel policies, he can't depend on the lines right now, both of which need to get bigger and younger.

Posted by: TheCork | November 20, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Yes RIP #21.... gotta get my kid a new jersey since LA went off the deep end... Its gonna be a hard choice between #17, #47 and #21...

Posted by: Zeebs | November 20, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CindyBoren | November 20, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

RIP

Posted by: rc2223 | November 20, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

zeeb, was shocked at how many Cooley jersey's I saw at the game. By FAR the most popular jersey as far as I could tell.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 20, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Cork, exactly. in the first game we played a 6 man Defensive backfield (employing Cobra... how hot is the hand sign for that???) leaving 4 dl and 1 LB (fletch) to stop barber.

We had 1 cobra in the box (Hort) and stuffed barber since fletch didnt have a Lineman up his you know what.

Dallas reversed their game plan pass first run 2nd where as the tried to get barber established the first game then abandoned.

waited til our dl was worn down, then attacked the middle.

Posted by: Zeebs | November 20, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

RIP Mr. Taylor.

Posted by: DadRyan | November 20, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

RIP #21 a.k.a. "Meast" a.k.a. "Grim Reaper"

Posted by: JinxMan | November 20, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Every time you hear a bell ring, an angel gets laid out by Sean Taylor.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 20, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Cork,
I completely understand what you are saying. The DLs are clearly the guys that should be picking these up. No doubt about that. I guess my only question is with only 4 minutes left and an apparent inability to stop the run utilizing conventional methods (DLs) don't you think we MUST take a risk and force Romo (with a bad finger) to try and get the ball to TO or Williams in the air. Sure there is a high probability that we get burned if we do this routinely, but for one third down with just minutes left in a game. Honestly, what is the difference between losing by four and losing by eleven. I say you take the chance once and live or die by that decision.

It's not a game plan, but a strategic gamble. Like going for it on 4th and goal from the one. It either bites you in the ass or pays huge dividends.

Posted by: Soup17 | November 20, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

+++should have read, put all lb, and Horton up to stop the run.

Posted by: BeantownGreg +++

That makes more sense, of course, but still leaves the middle open.

This is why I HATE the Roy Williams trade as a Skins fan. You can't single cover both TO and Williams all day and leave Witten open too. I THINK that's why Blache was forced to stay with seven in the box.

He certainly could have mixed it up a little more, taken a chance occasionally. But the front four HAVE to stuff the run at crunch time.

Posted by: TheCork | November 20, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

From the previous thread...

I almost took a job @ Toyota's plant in Georgetown, KY and they don't have a union. It makes it easier for them to terminate employment when necessary.

Posted by: JinxMan | November 20, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Sean Taylor actually died in 2002. Death was just afraid to tell him.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 20, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

I think about #21 all the time, but no Thanksgiving will ever go by again that I don't think of him and how thankful I am to be here and with my family.

Posted by: WrongDog | November 20, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

cork, mark it down, 11/20/08, 10:24 AM, you and I agree on something. Somewhat anyway....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 20, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

There goes another white man putting glue on a cut. I said 1% are head coaches. I'm not talking about the under paid Asst.

Posted by: poolman1200000 | November 20, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

pool, you are a jackass. what does 7 divided by 32 equal? no one was mentioning assistants

Posted by: Zeebs | November 20, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

That would be because he is in fact the man. Chris Cooley is so Chuck Norris that Chuck Norris pees himself just watching the skins play.

Also, The NFL is closer to 70% African American remaining 30% is mostly white with a handful of hispanics and asians, Samoans and whatnot.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 20, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

I think poolman has been sniffing glue.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 20, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Poolman,
Go away!

Posted by: Soup17 | November 20, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zeebs | November 20, 2008 10:32 AM Its you're not you are.

Posted by: poolman1200000 | November 20, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Ummm Thanksgiving dinner in just seven days! Turkey,turkey gravy, turkey ala king, turkey sandwiches, turkey enchiladas, turkey soup, turkey meatloaf...

Posted by: Devo2 | November 20, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zeebs | November 20, 2008 10:32 AM Its you're not you are.

Posted by: poolman1200000 | November 20, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

exactly... dumb = poolman

cindy is thinking about letting my last post go through.... think there was a certain word in it WAPO might not like...

Beep Beep

Posted by: Zeebs | November 20, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Actually, poolman, more than 1 % are head coaches.

Besides the point, though. What annoys all here is you are incessantly banging a one note gong to people that don't even understand why you are bringing up the point.

Each post you make is a slight variation on the same theme, slavery sucks, and there has been racial injustice and continues to be in the United States for as long as our country exists.

The question for you is why the heck do you keep bringing it up? What are you trying to say to those of us who post on RI? Do you have a solution? Is there something that you want us to do? Is there something that you want some one else to do? Or do you just want to, to take off on your phrase, pour salt in the wound?

We GET IT! You're unhappy about race relations. Find another topic, contribute to the discussion, but drop the one note band.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 20, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zeebs | November 20, 2008 10:32 AM Its you're not you are.

Posted by: poolman1200000 | November 20, 2008 10:36 AM |

Dah, which way did he go George which way did he go.

George is my friend.

Poolman was this supposed to make sense?

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 20, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Who's more pitiful? Poolman for throwing out the bait or all the regulars who are getting caught on his badly baited hook?

Come on, guys, ITA. As Devo pointed out, turkey's just a week away. And if you can't wait that long, you can go to Popeye's and buy a fried Cajun turkey.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 20, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

My son just turned 10 and I got him the #21 jersey. Wasn't sure how a 10 yr old would react to getting a jersey of a player who died. He's worn it every day this week. Guess I got my answer.

Posted by: M00SE | November 20, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Poolman, you are a racebaiter, and you are an idiot at it.

Since you said do the math, and you obviously failed math, I will do it for you...

I can think of three ACTIVE African-American NFL headcoaches off the top of my head, without trying... I'll assume for a moment (wrongly) that that's it just to prove how wrong you are. The first three that come to my mind, to fill you in, are Dungy, Lewis, and Singletary. Others, feel free to chime in with the others.

There are 32 teams in the NFL. That means that each head coaching position accounts for just over 3 1/3% of the coaches. Since I just NAMED three, 3x3 1/3=10%... right off the bat. Not "Far less than 1%... do the math!" as you stated (in two different posts). Right there, there is the math that puts to lie your racism. GO AWAY. Don't come back. Freedom of Speech != Freedom to TROLL.

Posted by: RGMBill | November 20, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

THIS IS WHY I COMMENT, ANOTHER FRIED CHICKEN JOKE FROM A WHITE MAN.

"you can't wait that long, you can go to Popeye's and buy a fried Cajun turkey."

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 20, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: poolman1200000 | November 20, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

RIP #21. Your memory will live forever!
ST!

Posted by: bigjofc | November 20, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

THIS IS WHY I COMMENT, ANOTHER FRIED CHICKEN JOKE FROM A WHITE MAN.

Posted by: poolman1200000 | November 20, 2008 11:11 A

No thats why you troll. you bait everybody with nonsense drivel and hope somebody posts something back that you can construe as racially motivated. Then you can make comments like this.

Bro this is not the Atlanta Falcons blog, where you have trolls who race bait and only praise the black players. Go there if you want to post crap like this. Otherwise stay on topic. And act like you got some sense please!

I'm african-american and I approve this message!

Posted by: Predator48 | November 20, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

RIP Sean.

PS- I'm white and love Popeyes.

Posted by: dfbovey | November 20, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Sean's spirit lives.
May God's blessings be upon your family, Sean.

Posted by: _Stumped_1 | November 20, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Who gives a frak?! Ignore him and he'll go away! This is a Redskins blog on washingtonpost.com...i'm sure there is another forum for you to address your racial issues (ps I am a black woman).

Posted by: skinzgirl | November 20, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

RIP Sean Taylor, you were the bomb and always in our hearts! Go Skins!

Posted by: DCXNTX | November 20, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse