Zorn on Jarmon: 'He's Studying the Weight Room'

Speaking for the first time about the Redskins' supplemental draft pick, Coach Jim Zorn said he'd be surprised if rookie defensive end Jeremy Jarmon has a big impact this season, but it'd be a surprise he'd welcome.

While the Redskins have steered clear of calling Jarmon a "project," it seems clear that he was drafted with 2010 in mind.

"I want to be surprised if he has impact this year," says Zorn. "I'm looking at him as a guy we got a year early, so we can develop and be that much further ahead. When the NFL Draft comes around next year, he'll already have a year under his belt. He won't be preparing for his first camp."

Jarmon, a 6-foot-3, 277-pound defensive end, was selected in the third round of the supplemental draft July 16. Since then, he's been a regular fixture at Redskins Park, but Zorn says Jarmon hasn't been studying a playbook yet.

"What he's been studying is the weight room and the field," Zorn said.

Last week, Zorn said Jarmon was given the team's "preliminary test to see what kind of shape he's in" - a test most players underwent in June - and he says Jarmon passed.

Making the safe assumption that both Jarmon and the team's first-round pick, defensive end Brian Orakpo, sign contracts soon, the Redskins will need to free up at least one more roster spot.

Zorn says he's excited to see how Jarmon fits in with his crew of defensive linemen. When players aren't NFL-ready in the traditional sense, it helps to have a veteran nearby to take the supplemental selection under his wing. A great example is Jared Gaither, the Ravens' 2007 supplemental pick who had a full year to learn under Jonathan Ogden before assuming a starting spot on the Ravens' offensive line in his second season, helping stabilize the line and lead the team to the AFC title game.

"We've got a lot of depth in our defensive line already," Zorn says. "But when you look at the future, we've got to address our defensive line in some areas. I mean, Phillip Daniels -- he's had a long career, he's still going strong and I don't know when he'll want to shut it down. But at some point he will. So Phillip, who's a tremendous leader and who will have a tremendous season this year, can influence this young guy before the beginning of his natural professional career. That's invaluable. And I think Jeremy Jarmon is the kind of guy who will take wisdom nuggets from our veteran defensive line."

Zorn also praised owner Daniel Snyder for his willingness to part with next year's third-round pick and make Jarmon the first supplemental pick in franchise history. Jarmon was ruled ineligible for his senior season at Kentucky after failing a drug test in February. Jarmon says a dietary supplemental triggered the positive test. Zorn has met with Jarmon several times by now and says he has no concerns about his character.

"There might still be some question marks because he didn't go through all the poking and probing of the combine -- he didn't have that lengthy examination that others had - but we're really excited about what we have here," Zorn says. "That's what really has been wonderful about Dan Snyder. He really has been willing to step up and say, 'Yeah, I'll do this.' Other teams might be willing to do the same thing, but we were just willing to risk a little bit more and we got him. If we risked less, we wouldn't have him right now."

By Cindy Boren  |  July 25, 2009; 2:43 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Signing Takes Its Own Sweet Time
Next: The New Mayor Reports for Duty

Comments

First! Good article. Excited to see what he can do . . . in 2010 :-)

Posted by: sjw1 | July 25, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

BTW,

Anybody else see the youtube of Keith Eloi jumping backwards out of the pool? Impressive. I don't think it translates directly into being a stud at WR in the NFL, buy cool athletic feat none the less.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | July 25, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

John Corcoran's Mash Note to a (former) Fat Guy...is in his latest column at

EXCERPT:

"As 2009 progressed...there would be optimistic reports that the lard was melting off Mike and a photo (which could have been photoshopped) showed up on the Redskins website...

Then, earlier this month came word that the listed weight of 360 for Mike on the ‘skins website was indeed false.

“Ha!” I wondered. “What is his weight now?” Is he back over 400? Has he hit a quarter ton? Nope. And ‘scuse me while I wipe the eggbeaters off my face--dude now tickles the Toledo’s at OMG--354!"

Posted by: TheCork | July 25, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I can still remeber Dexter Manley running downfield on k/o's, blowing up the wedge. And now that the wedge is not allowed, or at least limited, I can see Jarmon as a beast in k/o coverage.

Posted by: frediefritz | July 25, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

EXCERPT:

Posted by: TheCork |

According to Vinny, Mike Williams is now down to 337-340. Guess we will find out on Thursday.

Posted by: Lisa_R | July 25, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

"The plate's clean with him. There's no paint on the canvas. So we're all eager to see what he can do and what he brings to the table." --JIM ZORN, quoted in WaPo.

Well we know where Jim Zorn spent his summer--attending classes in Mixed Metaphor 101 at the Coaches Cliche Academy.

Posted by: TheCork | July 25, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

BTW,

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | July 25, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't he the one that jumped from standing still up over the tailgate of a pickup truck?

Good article, corky. Yeah, I'm really rooting for Big Mike too!

Posted by: frediefritz | July 25, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Daniels is gonna have a tremendous season? I remember Zorn said that Thrash was gonna have a tremendous season last year.

Posted by: coparker5 | July 25, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Yes Fredie,

the same guy lept into a pickup truck in his sandals.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | July 25, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork |

Posted by: Lisa_R

Now the question remains, can he play? It's one of the reasons why I'm pulling for him.

It would be a crying shame to make that sacrifice by losing more than 100 pounds, and find he isn't talented enough to be an NFL force.

Posted by: TheCork | July 25, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Gary Clark was selected by the Washington Redskins in the second round of the 1984 NFL Supplemental Draft. everyone is seeming to miss this one, Jarmon was not the first ever

Posted by: JenniferH1 | July 25, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JenniferH1 | July 25, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

________________________________

Good catch... I see on Gary's wiki this is true...

Posted by: tony325 | July 25, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JenniferH1 | July 25, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

________________________________

Good catch... I see on Gary's wiki this is true...

Posted by: tony325 | July 25, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse
=============================

Wasn't he a pick out of the defunked USFL?? Not a supplemental draft pick out of college.
Same as Tony Zendajas. I believe Kelvin Bryant was a late round draft pick who signed instead with the USFL but the Skins retained his rights. I know Ricky Sanders was a pick as well, but not with the Skins. Don't recall if he was signed as a free agent or what.

Posted by: dkidwell61 | July 25, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

In addition, this was a full draft with each team picking players and not forfeiting picks out of the next draft!!

Posted by: dkidwell61 | July 25, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | July 25, 2009 4:28 PM

Not really. By losing that weight, and assuming he keeps it off, he's added 10 years to his life and improved the quality of his life immeasurably. Football would be a cherry on the sundae.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 25, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

I guess now that M-Dub is at legit playing weight, we can reasonably begin a discussion of his contribution (I guess Cork calls that "Phase 2").

Any chance he can learn the LT position??

Posted by: p1funk | July 25, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

"The plate's clean with him."

I'm thinking Zorn meant a "clean slate" or maybe Jarmon eats all his veggies?...I guess that's a good sign.

Gary Clark did come out of the USFL. Whether that was through something like a "supplemental draft" would be something for our resident "supplemental draft" historian to comment on...which we have yet to identify...

Posted by: p1funk | July 25, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | July 25, 2009 4:28 PM

Posted by: talent_evaluator

I ain't no psychologist but I'm thinking the odds of keeping the weight off are much better if he becomes a pro football player.

For one thing, there is the enforced conditioning. As one who's had to chose between a voluntary workout ad a voluntary cheesecake, I have to tell you that's a tough choice.

But you've hit the nail on the Kielbasa. If he keeps the weight off, it's all good.

Posted by: TheCork | July 25, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

clark, sanders and clarence verdin were all taken inthe same year of the USFL dispersal draft. we also got kelvin bryant a year before that the same way.
this is NOT the sane thing as the supplemental draft because all the above guys were already pros, not college players who for one reason or another, did not come out of
the draft with their class..once the USFL folded, that was the end of that draft, but the supplemental draft has continue

guys like steve walsh, bernie kosar, dave wilson, gaither, mike wahle were all supplemental draft picks.
tim rosenbach was also, i believe..
BUT
jarmon was the first time the Redskins have actually made a pick in the supplemental draft in their history

Posted by: shally | July 25, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Zorn on Jarmon: "The plate's clean with him. There's no paint on the canvas. So we're all eager to see what he can do and what he brings to the table."

Might he have meant "the slate is clean"? He must have been thinking about Mike
Williams in his Popeyes Chicken and Biscuit days. I am sure he was a real good clean plater back then.

Posted by: AntarcticCat | July 25, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Kelvin Bryant was a Skins late round draft pick (I believe a 6th rounder) that the Skins took a flyer on knowing that he was going to sign with the USFL. He was expected to go much hight in the draft but teams stayed away knowing he would not be playing for them anytime soon. When the USFL folded, the Skins retained his rights since they drafted him initially.
Gary Clark was part of the "dispersal draft" which the NFL conducted to handle all of the players who were basically going to be free agents and to prevent a bidding frenzy. This draft was for those players who had not been originally drafted out of college and that no team had rights to.

Posted by: dkidwell61 | July 25, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

I remember back in Phillip Daniels prime watching him haul that 290lbs all the way across the field and make a tackle from the backside on the running back,beautiful stuff,I love his game when healthy he's built for that position in the NFC East.I believe he has the potential,if healthy to have an impact on this "D" and catapult our D-line to Giants like production.Secondly,all this scatback talk is a joke.Rock Cartright isnt going anywhere.He's too valuable on teams especially with th absence of thrash.Ladell is too good now when healthy to lose his job,in fact I believe he is highly underrated and underutilized.He should be our Kevin Faulk,constantly making big plays on third down,he's that good.The Rob Jackson's and Alex Buzbee's on the roster must suck to burn a valuable 3rd rounder like that on Jarmon.Nobody responded to my earlier question,Who's going to beat out Wynn for a roster spot?

Posted by: mark65 | July 25, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Where's the story bashing Jarmon? I liked JLC, but this is a more positive blog now that he's at the NFLN. Its nice to see the Skins being proactive with this pick instead of trading it for an aging vet past his prime.

Posted by: rich20ssu | July 25, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't he a pick out of the defunked USFL??

Posted by: dkidwell61 | July 25, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

-----------------------------------------
Wait, someone took the funk out of the USFL?!

Looking forward to the long-awaited Jason Campbell break-out year.

Posted by: BornonChesapeakeStreet | July 25, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

"The Rob Jackson's and Alex Buzbee's on the roster must suck to burn a valuable 3rd rounder like that on Jarmon."

Jarmon does have a slight weight advantage of Jackson and Buzbee. They also were not known as run stoppers in college. J. D. Skolnitsky, Jarmon, and the two above DE all have nearly the same 40 yard speeds. Derek Walker was marginally slower than the other young DE potentials.

Posted by: fwroy | July 25, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

From an article in the NYT on how science has transformed society:

"The idea of an “intelligence explosion” in which smart machines would design even more intelligent machines was proposed by the mathematician I. J. Good in 1965. Later, in lectures and science fiction novels, the computer scientist Vernor Vinge popularized the notion of a moment when humans will create smarter-than-human machines, causing such rapid change that the “human era will be ended.”"

In the year 5555
Your arms are hanging limp at your sides
Your legs got not nothing to do
Some machine is doing that for you

"The world’s leading biologists met at Asilomar to discuss the new ability to reshape life by swapping genetic material among organisms. Concerned about possible biohazards and ethical questions, scientists had halted certain experiments. The conference led to guidelines for recombinant DNA research, enabling experimentation to continue."

In the year 6565
Ain't gonna need no husband, won't need no wife
You'll pick your son, pick your daughter too
From the bottom of a long glass tube

Posted by: AntarcticCat | July 25, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

"I feel good about__________heading into the season, but I don't feel good about____________."

JReid
Cindy Boren

j/k

love ya CB!

Posted by: RedCherokee | July 25, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

One week to go... I can't wait for camp to start!!! Ready for these position battles & a look at the new blood...

Posted by: tony325 | July 25, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

All the prognosticaters anticipate the skins finishing at the bottom of the East.I suppose If I were an outsider with no knowledge of our roster and with nothing but our second half of last season to go on I would feel the same.I beleive we are better than that.The NFC East is wide open,every team in the division is stacked and capable of anything.

Posted by: mark65 | July 25, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Prognosticators?? How often are they right? Mr. Hairdo himself and espn are wrong so often it is amazing that they are prognosticating again to demonstrate how idiotic they are! On TV!!

How many prognosticators picked Arizona to be in the SB last year? That's why they play the game.

As my daughter said to me this evening, are you optimistic again about your Redskins since it is the start of a new year?

Yes, I am. Will I be disappointed this year? Maybe. But I go into the season expecting the Skins to finish 11-5 and reach the NFC championship game.

Great stuff, Kool-aid!

Posted by: Skins930 | July 26, 2009 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Enjoy my wisdom nuggets, won't you?

Posted by: freakzilla | July 26, 2009 1:18 AM | Report abuse

Seen at the top of this page:

Insider on Twitter
Even more Redskins info -- in short bites.

Cindy, would you say you're tweeting wisdom nuggets? Or are they more along the lines of informational mini hot links? Mushrooms stuffed with breaking news?

I'm suddenly fascinated by the possibilities for imparting knowledge to my party guests.

Posted by: freakzilla | July 26, 2009 1:30 AM | Report abuse

Dannys monies
Vinnies skills
The cynic in me asks, is either learning?

Posted by: Surfercalavera | July 26, 2009 3:08 AM | Report abuse

There go's ZORN again writing off a first year player...that's why our Rookie Receivers last year never had a chance. They can't improve if you don't use them!

Posted by: LongTimeSkinsFan | July 26, 2009 7:59 AM | Report abuse

check out today's article on the skins from the other paper

Posted by: nativedc | July 26, 2009 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: LongTimeSkinsFan | July 26, 2009 7:59 AM

You know, that was my feeling too. Maybe he thinks that it will help in negotiations on the player's contract to write the guy off, but other than that this makes no sense to me. A third rounder who's in good football condition ought to be able to play as a rookie, not lift weights.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 26, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

It seems like dan snyder is still making decisions on who to draft and who to sign...does that make vinnys job kinda pointless?

Posted by: kickass10101 | July 26, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 26, 2009 9:20 AM

I agree with that TE. I do think that Blache would get Jarmon on the field in "packages" if he thinks Jarmon can make plays.

One of the thingsI really am excited for is to see how well the defense comes together. It really has the potential to be very, very good particularly on third downs where the versatility of players should allow varied looks to the opposing QB.

Posted by: TWISI | July 26, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: LongTimeSkinsFan | July 26, 2009 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Or maybe he's just letting the rook know he's got to bust his butt if he wants to get on the field this year.

Posted by: skinswest | July 26, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinswest | July 26, 2009 11:38 AM

You know what's really stupid about Zorn saying this is that Zorn has never even seen him in pads on the practice field. It is way premature.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 26, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LongTimeSkinsFan | July 26, 2009 7:59 AM |

Perhaps you didn't notice, Mr. Long, that one was sawing logs, one had a knee and the other couldn't run WCO routes to save his life. Chance comes to them who is ready.

Posted by: BlackBagOps | July 26, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 26, 2009 12:16 PM |

You're reading way too much into this. What Z is saying is that the guy is out of shape and needs to get buffed up. That don't mean that at some point during the season you won't see him in some packages.

Posted by: BlackBagOps | July 26, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

From PFT:

The chances, for example, of the Cardinals and the Redskins making it to the Super Bowl in 2010 are roughly equivalent, with the 'Skins in our view actually having a better shot. But most "experts" would pick the Cardinals over the Redskins, since it's harder to look like a complete doofis by trusting the team that made it to February to cap last season.

Posted by: RedskinWillie | July 26, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedskinWillie | July 26, 2009 12:43 PM |

The Skins have always had cap problems. Every year they go through the same ritual: contract renegotiation. It wouldn't surprise me if they owe some guys money in 2525.

Posted by: BlackBagOps | July 26, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 26, 2009 12:16 PM |

Posted by: BlackBagOps

Or better yet:

Zorn is trying to help Vinny and Dan get the kid inked.

Come on T_E, Zorn may be many things, but stupid ain't one.

Posted by: TheCork | July 26, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Come on T_E, Zorn may be many things, but stupid ain't one.

Posted by: TheCork | July 26, 2009 1:22 PM |

I agree. We'll leave it to Obama to hand out the "stupid" awards.

Posted by: BlackBagOps | July 26, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Zorn is trying to help Vinny and Dan get the kid inked.

Posted by: TheCork | July 26, 2009 1:22 PM

Right. That's the explanation I offered in my 9:20 post.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 26, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Zorn is trying to help Vinny and Dan get the kid inked.

Posted by: TheCork | July 26, 2009 1:22 PM

Right. That's the explanation I offered in my 9:20 post.

Posted by: talent_evaluator

A million...did I say MILLION?...a BILLION apologies. Let the record show that T_E did indeed make this connection before I did. As a man whose T_E posts are like crack cocaine to me, I don't know how I missed it, but it was never my intent to poach your analysis.

So delete credit for figuring it out to Cork, and give it to Talent-Evaluator.

Has anyone mentioned Portis' stupid new hairdo?

Posted by: TheCork | July 26, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Come on T_E, Zorn may be many things, but stupid ain't one.

Posted by: TheCork | July 26, 2009 1:22 PM |

I agree. We'll leave it to Obama to hand out the "stupid" awards.
Posted by: BlackBagOps

If you are a GOP fan suggesting we start with the "stupid" smack, my advice would be, Don't go there girlfren'.

Granted, Obama made a verbal faux pas. call me when he has four or five books worth of Obamaisms.

Posted by: TheCork | July 26, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

T minus 4 days and counting

Posted by: noonefromtampa | July 26, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

doubt Zorn's comments have to do with contract stuff. The guy got picked in rd 3 and will get rd 3 money. Everyone knows what his pay will be, within $100k or so.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | July 26, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't he a pick out of the defunked USFL??

Posted by: dkidwell61 | July 25, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

-----------------------------------------
Wait, someone took the funk out of the USFL?!

Looking forward to the long-awaited Jason Campbell break-out year.

Posted by: BornonChesapeakeStreet | July 25, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

My vote for POD (Post of the Day)...well played sir! And me too on JC

HAIL

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | July 26, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

The only surprise here is the Redskins are actually planning on the future... I suspect Jarmin will get a little playing time this season, but it will probably be a gradual introduction to the NFL. I'd be interested to know what the physical test is for a professional athlete. The players are so varied in size, strength, speed and endurance, it seems it will be difficult to have a one-size-fits-all type of physical test. Maybe they don't have just one test, but then I think I would be peeved if I was a wide receiver and I had to run twenty wind sprints, while the offensive linemen only had to run to the buffet table...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | July 26, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse