Zorn Pleased with Plackemeier

Barry Svrluga and Marc Carig report:

Five days after signing with the Redskins as a free agent, punter Ryan Plackemeier made his Washington debut. And though his average of 37.3 yards on eight punts was less than that of his predecessor -- rookie Durant Brooks -- Coach Jim Zorn called Plackemeier's performance "excellent."

"He's developed some talent in that end-over-end pooch kick, and that really gave us a chance," Zorn said. "He had several punts that had great hang times. ... There was no shanks. There was no total disaster situations."

Plackemeier's net average was 28.8 yards, also worse than Brooks's NFL-worst 32.1. But four times, he left the Browns inside their own 20-yard line. Plackemeier's last kick came with two minutes left from the Redskins' own 43, a 39-yarder on which Zorn said, "we wanted more."

Zorn said Plackemeier did well holding for kicks, and that Shaun Suisham's missed 36-yard field goal was just "a poor kick."

...

With 2 minutes, 44 seconds left and the Redskins holding a tenuous three-point lead, the Browns lined up to kick off. During the pause for a television timeout, two fans eluded security and ran onto the field. One sprinted past midfield, and Redskins receiver Santana Moss headed toward him, causing him to veer toward receiver Antwaan Randle El. Randle El tackled the man near the 40 yard line, and security immediately pounced on him and arrested him.

Zorn, though, had other ideas. "I was going for the other guy," the coach said, and Zorn started to pursue the other man as he headed toward the Redskins sideline. "He was coming right at us," cornerback Leigh Torrence said. There, he ran into a Redskins official and was also apprehended by security.

...

Newly acquired running back Shaun Alexander said he would reserve judgment on his brief performance until after film study. But after playing for the first time since last season's playoffs, Alexander said he felt good.

"We'll see if I actually ran it right tomorrow on film," said Alexander, the former Most Valuable Player who finished with eight yards on three carries, all in the third quarter.
Alexander broke an eight-yard run on his first touch and gained one more yard on the next play. He later caught a one-yard loss.

"It's exciting," Alexander said "I'm still learning the plays and still getting the civilian legs off of me and my football legs back under me. But I was excited to get the ball."

...

The Redskins held Cleveland to 4-for-16 third-down conversion opportunities. In its last three games, Washington has allowed opponents to convert just 29.5 percent of third-down tries.

"That's something we weren't good at the first few games," cornerback Carlos Rogers said. "But coach kept harping on it."

Against the Browns, Washington tipped two third-down passes at the line and deflected two more in the secondary. Rogers delivered a big hit to take away another potential completion. Meanwhile, the only sack of Browns quarterback Derek Anderson came from Andre Carter, on a third down.

"[Greg] Blache and the rest of the coaches challenged us," Carter said. "We've got to get off the field, put our offense in better field position and we really emphasized it."

The Redskins also caught some good luck, as Browns wide receiver Braylon Edwards dropped two passes. Anderson's overall line for the day was already unflattering, though he was at his worst on third down, connecting on just 1 of his 11 passing attempts for 19 yards. He also had a fumble that netted a loss of three yards on a lateral throw that went out of bounds.

"We don't have a lot of sacks, but what we're doing is tying the QB up," Zorn said. "And the man coverage we've been playing has been wonderful."

By Cindy Boren  |  October 19, 2008; 8:36 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Skins Hold on for 14-11 Win
Next: More Plays Go Davis' Way

Comments

"New Redskins punter Ryan Plackemeier keeps giving Browns great field position. ... Browns squander two series past the 50 with three-and-out possessions."

Posted by: Alan4 | October 19, 2008 8:38 PM

Here we go again...that's not necessarily on the punter when you're punting out of your own end zone all day. If he's pinning them inside the 5 from his own end zone, then that's some You-Tube type sh*t!

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 19, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

LOL. What? Can't everyone else's team kick 95+ yard punts?

Love Zorn. Can't say the last time I liked a Skins HC so much.

Posted by: AppleScience | October 19, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

The last time I liked a 'Skins HC so much was 1981-1992.

Posted by: PDiddy | October 19, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse

The last time I liked a 'Skins HC so much was 1981-1992.

Posted by: PDiddy | October 19, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse

LOL, definitely agree with that one.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 19, 2008 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Wow Hilliard just got rocked. Major concussion minimum. Didn't like the way his head twisted sideways on contact. Hope he recovers easily.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 19, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

++There was no total disaster situations."

Jim Zorn on punting++

What a statement !!! Is that what it has come down too??!! Just kidding!! I thought Placekicker, I mean Buttermaker, I mean Plackemeier was good.

I hope we can get things cranked up in Motown. My heart needs one week of "blowout therapy"

Posted by: cej75024 | October 19, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Scary collision by Ike Hilliard. Glad he's okay.

I'd also like to use this post to say that Mrs. Freakzilla makes an awesome chicken pot pie.

Posted by: freakzilla | October 19, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Zorn is definitely the man, he's got this team playing together, and he's got some quotes!

Posted by: craig2 | October 19, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

TJ Duckett just took out the Referree !!!

Posted by: cej75024 | October 19, 2008 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: freakzilla | October 19, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Send some of that down here...this Pizza Hut ain't quite workin' for me.

Posted by: cej75024 | October 19, 2008 9:18 PM | Report abuse

I realize that it is VERY early...but..CP, London, Santana, and Carlos are playing at ProBowl levels. Jason is almost there.

Posted by: cej75024 | October 19, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

TE, I'll look for that book and see if I can get it super cheap anywhere. If JC's groin really is hurt, I think that would explain the conservative play calling at the end of the game. JMO.

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | October 19, 2008 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Trent Dilfer in particular gave a blistering critique of the Girls. Said they were more interested in going for the glam with their player selection. Hard to argue with that.

Posted by: freakzilla | October 19, 2008 7:56 PM

The bigger they are, the harder they fall! Lovin' it.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 19, 2008 9:25 PM | Report abuse

What happened to your gentleman friend, Freakzilla?

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 19, 2008 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Zorn on the play-calling:

From that point (11 minutes into the game) until halftime, Zorn called 15 runs to eight passes. The tenor of the game changed; Zorn hadn’t liked the looks of the passing game even before Campbell’s injury, he said, and in many ways he played not to lose from there on out, a decision from the Gibbs book.
Campbell (eight completions for 74 yards and 71.7 rating at the half) had trouble planting and driving through his throws for much of that quarter, under-throwing a few and relying on his arm strength for others. He was going to have to gut this out and spent halftime just trying to stay limber, constantly moving, working with head athletic trainer John Burrell to keep the groin as loose as possible.
Zorn, who passed on a chance to snatch the game on the first drive when punting on fourth-and-four from the Cleveland 35, worried about his lack of accuracy, seeing Campbell standing too tall in the pocket, assuming the groin was forcing him to compensate. Campbell said he felt stiff for a while after the strain.
“It was definitely bothering me for a while, but once I got it loose it was better,” said Campbell, who attributed some of his early errant passes to a swirling wind. “It can affect you when you are trying to over-stride or under-stride.”

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 19, 2008 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Skins1 | October 19, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

You can't be consistent with your play calling......

Otherwise, you become predectible........

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 19, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

"There was no shanks. There was no total disaster situations." There was no subject-verb agreements..

Posted by: junkiwonteverread | October 19, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Cindy, he's around. Haven't seen him for several weeks, but I imagine I'll head over to his house for the Pittsburgh game.

Posted by: freakzilla | October 19, 2008 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Dalls Morning News Blog...Funny...

You have to wonder what was going through Adam "Pacman" Jones' mind if he watched the Cowboys get their tails kicked today.

Mr. Jones (he prefers to be called that over Pacman) has avoided the media since his little incident at a downtown Dallas hotel that led to another indefinite suspension from the NFL. But he was quite a quotable guy earlier during his six-game run with the Cowboys.

The most memorable sentence to come out of Mr. Jones' mouth was his reaction to the impressive passing stats the Eagles put up in the season opener: "They played the Rams, dude."

The Eagles made Mr. Jones look foolish by throwing the ball all over the Cowboys a week later while the Cowboys hung on for a win in a Monday night shootout. The Rams crushed the notion that they're a pushover by posting their second consecutive win over an NFC East team, this one a blowout over a squad once considered a Super Bowl favorite.

St. Louis defensive end Leonard Little laughed when reminded of that quote after the Rams' complete domination of the Cowboys on Sunday afternoon. There are a lot of folks around the country right now laughing at the Cowboys, dude.

Posted by: Skins1 | October 19, 2008 9:50 PM | Report abuse

JFKaren,

Maybe it would be in a local library? Patterson is a very popular author, although this is a bit different from his usual stuff. Here's what the Wall Street Journal said about it:

In "Against Medical Advice," James Patterson and co-author Hal Friedman tell the frightening, frustrating life story of Mr. Friedman's son Cory, who for 13 years battled Tourette's syndrome, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and anxiety disorder. Cory woke up one morning as a youngster and discovered that his body was shaking and twisting. Later, he would find himself unable to control verbal and physical outbursts in school. His would be a childhood marked by loneliness, anger, and despair as he and his parents looked for answers that would enable him to lead a normal life.

Mr. Patterson and Mr. Friedman are old friends; they worked together for many years at the J. Walter Thompson advertising agency. Mr. Patterson knew about Cory's problems, but it wasn't until he read through an early manuscript Mr. Friedman had written about the experience that he understood how deeply Cory's illnesses affected the entire family.

This is Mr. Patterson's first work of nonfiction after writing -- he is the author or co-author of nearly 50 novels -- and it's marked with many of the narrative flourishes that have enabled him to sell more than 140 million books worldwide. Some chapters are as short as two pages, and they often end on dramatic high notes, such as, "I am officially in hell." It is narrated from Cory's point of view.

"I find a lot of nonfiction tedious," said Mr. Patterson. "Typically the first chapter is really good, and then the second chapter starts...80 years earlier, back in.... But I don't want all that detail. I want the story."

Mr. Patterson says he thinks that the medical profession needs to change the way it deals with cases like Cory's. "One of the things people can identify with in this story is that there are situations where doctors do what they can but can't get to an answer," says Mr. Patterson. "This is especially true when it comes to prescribing drugs. There really needs to be a medical specialty where people focus on what drugs are available and how they should be combined."

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 19, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Wait, I just realized something about this Sunday night game: No John Madden.

Has his absence been explained?

Posted by: freakzilla | October 19, 2008 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Glad you asked.

The home team expects to feel a certain vibe from the crowd, and expects to really really like playing at home.

There is something about the stadium, FedEx, whether it is the fact that noise is frequently piped in (fake), or knowing that they are not playing in the CITY, I don't know. I have a feeling of what it is...but the vibe of the stadium is not sufficiently motivating the players.

Giving up RFK was giving up a major major part of their identity. Can you recover from that?

I don't know.

Posted by: slats999 | October 19, 2008 7:25 PM

Yep, these guys, WHO WERE Between 0 and 8 when RFK was relevant just cant identify with 92,000 screaming for them. Real solid assessment. Anyone that thinks the fans that go to the games arent giving their all and the TEAM is not playing to win BECAUSE they are at Fed Ex, just keep watching from your mothers plastic covered couch. We got this...

Posted by: Club320 | October 19, 2008 10:06 PM | Report abuse

freakzilla,

Turns out that he asked for the week off. Didn't want to go back across the country in the bus again. First game that he's missed since the Carter Administration. At least, that's what I think I read on the net.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 19, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Paul Tenorio on wide receiver and D.C. native Joshua Cribbs:
"It was a dream for me," Cribbs said. "Just because I’m from here. Just being on the field and scoring a touchdown, my first career touchdown at home in D.C., couldn’t get nothing better than that."
Cribbs said he spent over $2,000 on tickets for the game and that he had "too many" family and friends in attendance.
"I started telling my mother to start cutting down on tickets and everything like that but the numbers still reach," Cribbs joked. "My game check, it’s going to look like I got fined. That’s how much money I’m going to bring in because of the tickets."

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 19, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis has 818 yards rushing through 7 games. That's pretty darn good.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 19, 2008 10:12 PM | Report abuse

beep beep
talent is correct about madden.

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 19, 2008 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Pro Bowl voting has started on nfl.com.

By my count, these guys should be shoo-ins as pro-bowlers this year:

Carlos Rogers
London Fletcher
Clinton Portis
Chris Samuels

And these guys should have very good shots of making it as well:

Santana Moss
Randy Thomas
Laron Landry
Chris Horton
Jason Campbell
Chris Cooley

I truly feel that there may be only 2 defenses that are better than the one fielded by the Redskins: Titans and Bucs. And both are only questionably better. The performances put up against the offensive firepower we've seen is nothing other than remarkable. Let's do what we can to help our players get rewarded.

Posted by: spizzle | October 19, 2008 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Just to prove that I know how to use a calculator and round up decimals, that's an average of 116.9 yards per game.

Posted by: freakzilla | October 19, 2008 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 19, 2008 10:10 PM |

I'm just relieved the guy can still talk in complete sentences after what Carlos Rogers did to him.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 19, 2008 10:18 PM | Report abuse

"Man I'm having a lot more fun reading the Cowboy blog on the Dallas Morning News. It's pretty hilarious...Skins1."

Rick Gosselin:, a Dallas morning news columnist on which teams are best in the NFC east just a couple of days ago. "I'd probably stack 'em Giants, Cowboys, Eagles and Redskins." Yeah, I mean it's obvious from their records and head to head matchups that both the Eagles and Cowboys are way better than the 'Skins. After all they were just games with 50 or 60 lucky plays where the 'Skins o-lines and defense completely dominated. I wonder if he's smoking the same crack as Michael Irvin used to(?).Talk about fantasy football...

Posted by: junkiwonteverread | October 19, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Whoo hoo! The team is playing well, the coach is a revelation, the owner is keeping quiet, and the Cowpies are imploding!
Dang, it hasn't been this good for soooooooo long.

Posted by: ILikeSonny | October 19, 2008 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Well, the punter had a good game.

Posted by: Brian_P_McConnell | October 19, 2008 11:15 PM | Report abuse

The new punter kept us in the game. He pined Cleveland deep with great hang time, backspins keeping the ball out of the end zone and some good angles! The Browns seldom had any type of good feild position after a punt. I think without him it would have been a loss!

Posted by: donmac1 | October 20, 2008 8:35 AM | Report abuse