Zorn recalls his days playing the Raiders

Jim Zorn compared the fervor of the rivalry between the Seattle Seahawks and Oakland Raiders when he quarterbacked the Seahawks to that of the Washington Redskins-Dallas Cowboys rivalry.

"I do remember, when we would finish those games, if it was home or away or if you won or lost, it didn't matter," Zorn said. "You weren't smiling after the game."

Zorn first described the rivalry as a "dog fight", and then changed his description to "hard core" because he didn't think he should say dogfight in "this politically correct world."

He said he never had beer dumped on him, as others have recounted, but admitted he's "seen some interesting things in the stands."

Zorn remembered playing against the Raiders when they were coached by John Madden and recalled a 44-7 loss in his first game against Oakland. His best memory involving the Raiders came during a road game in Oakland when he "threw one of the best passes of my entire career" on an out pattern to Steve Raible during a Seahawks victory.

Although Zorn did not provide a date, the description matched the game from Nov. 26, 1978. The win, Zorn said, sparked the Seahawks-Raiders rivalry.

"The [Raiders] fans are a little more colorful today, but they're as gritty as they were then," Zorn said. "They didn't have the paint and the road warrior gear."

Zorn admitted he has not spoken to the Redskins this week about what to expect from Oakland. Although Washington's roster includes many players who have come from other teams and have likely visited the Raiders, the Redskins have not visited Oakland in 11 years. Zorn said the team could expect to experience what he felt when playing the Raiders.

"It was just hard fought," Zorn said. "Much like it will be this Sunday."

By Zach Berman  |  December 12, 2009; 10:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hall, Sellers, Haynesworth won't play
Next: Daniels toughs out a rough season

Comments

All together now:

DRAFT:

RUSSELL OKUNG OT OSU - #4 off the board.
CIRON BLACK OT LSU - #36 off the board.
MIKE JOHNSON OG ALA.- #128 off the board.
ED WANG OT VaTech - #160 off the board, or Best available at any position in the 5th and 7th.

FREE AGENCY:

O.J. ATOGWE - FS
DUNTA ROBINSON - CB
KEITH BULLOCK - Strong-side OLB

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 12, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 12, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 12, 2009 10:30 AM |

Gonna need a RB or two there Sparky.

Posted by: edvar | December 12, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Fletcher won't be able to play forever either.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 12, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

nah, can use compensatory picks there...can make do w/ betts, specially if it's still a wc offense. I like the thoughts. Dub L needs to play ss.

Posted by: skinsfan8KaboveMSL | December 12, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

La señorita roja está loca.

Дама с ума. Она крадет карандашей и не является ударником.

Posted by: daggar | December 12, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Who's the new coach?
Because without that teeny tiny bit of data, the keep/cut/draft/acquire decision is just a bit premature.

Posted by: daggar | December 12, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Fletcher won't be able to play forever either.
Yeah, but I don't want to be the one to try to tell him that.

Posted by: daggar | December 12, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

What's Zorny's record against the 'Radahhs'?

I bet it ain't pretty.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 12, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Can you imagine?????

The patriots have 4 first day picks!

We have 5 total

RB
OT
QB
LB
G

Also, while I wouldn't take him with a high first round pick, don't sleep on Tebow. Yeah, it's the spread offense, but this guy is a winner...

If we had several picks, I'd get him and put him on the shelf for a year or two to learn the pro game.

(Don't I sound like one of those ESPN dudes:)

Posted by: rickyroge | December 12, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

This post shows all what is wrong with Zorny...

Road Warriors weren't out in the 70s dude, so no wonder they didn't hae that ish back then!!!!!

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 12, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Betts is done. Gone. Finito.

Posted by: edvar | December 12, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

"Zorn admitted he has not spoken to the Redskins this week about what to expect from Oakland."

Uh oh, today is Saturday, yes? Well, I hope he decides to say something on the plane.

I agree that we should think ahead to when fletch retires. How about Pat Angerer, Iowa? 6'0'', 235 lbs, fastest time in 40=4.45, projected in the 4th round '10 draft.

Could fit the fletch mold, but anyone seen him play? Does this guy have any heart?

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 12, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

I vote glawrence007 to replace vinny

Posted by: jonthefisherman | December 12, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Jeez, to me, Tebow's not a Pro QB. I don't see him with the abilities to move to another position, either - like Tight End. In the game against Alabama, when he had to think, read and make quick decisions, he really choked, big time. I'm not a "fan" of college football, either, so I don't have a team there to love or hate. I'm just looking at the abilities on display.

If Colt Brennan can look like he does now, compared to how he looked then, imagine how disappointing it would be to see the NFL Tebow, 3 years down the road. I would rather see them waste a pick on an injured RB, personally. I think your chances of getting something out of the pick are much much higher like that.

Posted by: Thinker_ | December 12, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse