Carter, Portis 'Game-Time Decisions'

Jim Zorn said he expects running back Clinton Portis (neck) and end Andre Carter (foot) to be game-time decisions Sunday night against the Ravens; he is "optimistic" that linebacker London Fletcher will play despite his foot injury.

Those three players did not take part in today's practice, nor did corner Shawn Springs (calf), although Zorn thinks Springs will play. (He's questionable for now, Zorn said.) Defensive tackle Cornelius Griffin will play, Zorn said, although he rested his sore shoulder today.

Offensive linemen Pete Kendall, Chris Samuels and Randy Thomas were "rested," according to Zorn, and all are slated to play. Kendall generally rests his knees every Wednesday, while Samuels has been nursing a painful knee injury for about a month.

Portis has been playing despite a bevy of injuries, with his neck being the latest (to go with knee, hip and rib injuries). He isn't practicing much and likely won't do too much this week, but Zorn said he is performing well enough to warrant playing rather than taking a week off.

Zorn said that he does not think the injuries will hold Portis, the second-leading rusher in the NFL, back. "Not when he's running the ball by any means," Zorn said. "That's why I keep playing him ... If he was going at a slow pace, then I wouldn't have him play." But considering how well he has played, and how important he is to the team, "I owe it to him to play him," Zorn said.

Fletcher is highly unlikely to practice this week, Zorn said, but feels better than he did last week, and his streak of 172 games is expected to continue at Baltimore. The Redskins were short at linebacker at practice today, because reserve Alfred Fincher was excused to return to Louisiana for a personal matter, but Zorn said he will be back for practice tomorrow.

By Jason La Canfora  |  December 3, 2008; 2:31 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Harbaugh Reflects on His, Zorn's Success
Next: Zorn on Cooley

Comments

We're gonna beat the Ravens. I feel the mojo shifting. HAIL

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 3, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

p.s. thank GOD Fincher will be back tomorrow or I might've had to recant the statement above

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 3, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: charley42 | December 3, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Missed it by THAT much!

Posted by: charley42 | December 3, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

alex, i love WaPo, my hometown leftist newspapaer and i want to help preserve it. the way i look at it i'm saving wapo $49.99 that it spent on that camera that reid is using.

speaking from "experience" point of view yes, those videos do "harm" my experience. cuz we be blogging and refreshing and all of a sudden there's a mindless post and we gotta beep and switch pages and some have to re-post their comments...and such...

Posted by: dealer1 | December 3, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

"I think that they should use Betts FIRST then use Portis SECONDarily so that CP can heal faster.

Posted by: charley42"

who should we play THIRDly?

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 3, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

the worst, at least for me, thing to do for this game is to EXPECT the skins to win. i'm curtailing my exepctations. i just want them to look respectable. so when i come on up here on sunday night and monday morning i'm not mad at the world. i'm learning.

Posted by: dealer1 | December 3, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

I'd love to lean on Ladell but not sure we can afford to. Worth considering at least though, I'll give you that. CP is beat up

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 3, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Yall are a bunch of hypocrites.

"oh we don't like the Jason Reid videos"

well why don't you FREAKING PAY HIS RANSOM AND FREE HIM

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 3, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Have CP play this week and rest him against Cinci.

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 3, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

IIt's not so much the Ravens offense....their D is great at intercepting the football AND returning it for TDs.

Posted by: Lisa_R

Good thing we have the least turnover prone QB in the league.

Posted by: psps23 | December 3, 2008 1:23 PM
That's because JC17 dosen't throw the ball where it can get intercepted, or go for a touchdaown.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 3, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I don't expect them to win dealer. I know they will. I am the walrus, kookookachoo

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 3, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Have CP play this week and rest him against Cinci.

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 3, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

I like this idea. I will be at that game harassing cheerleaders and drinking Cristal with 26 as 46 runs roughshod over the Bungles

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 3, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Na, Na, Na, Na, hey, hey, hey, GOODBYE!!! LOL!

Posted by: Dfan | December 3, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Re: 3 Threads ago -

Did JLaC say Buges is loyal to his line players and that's why they are still in the starting lineup?

Didn't Jansen get pulled earlier this year?

Didn't Bostic get bench in 1987 for Grimm at Center?

Where is he gettting these inferences from?

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 3, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

thanks for the jinx 4th! i now predict 2 pick 6's!

lisa, what else can be intercepted in a football game? ;) just messin!

Posted by: dealer1 | December 3, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of thirdly, I don't know why they don't run Sellers more on short yardage plays especially near the goal line.

I'm surprised JaLaCa hasn't gone on about how wonderful the Balti organization is, how Flacco is instantly doing so well in THEIR system. (Maybe he's still recovering from the shellacking he got years ago when he wrote about how great the Ravens organ is.)

Posted by: charley42 | December 3, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

agreed on the notion to sit Portis. Give Betts the start...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 3, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

i think he owes it to the team to get betts and rock invovled..I mean Portis can't do it all...most teams other back have more carries involvement.

Posted by: Ilikecougars | December 3, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

This is based on the Sean Taylor tribute video posted here the other day...

Anyone know a good place to buy go-go on CD? I'm specifically looking for Junkyard and junk-derived bands..Anyone care to weigh in on current go-go bands? I've found TCB and UCB to be ok...I've heard the WHAT band is good...I live in Baltimore now so its harder for me to keep up on these things (also melanin challenged..)

Posted by: chevychasepowhatans | December 3, 2008 3:02 PM

www.gogoparadise.com

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 3, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

most teams other back have more carries involvement.

Posted by: Ilikecougars | December 3, 2008 3:52 PM

Except for Marcus Mason on the Jets.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 3, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I don't know how you let Portis heal without letting the offense go to poo-poo. If the game plan for the past couple months is to throw to moss on first, run portis on second, and throw to cooley on third, i just dont see how we can give up our second down 5-7 yard run.

Posted by: REDneckSKINhead | December 3, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Agreed on Betts, were paying him good money. There was a time before we reuped his contract when he ran with real intensity, I would like to see him get back to that form and we will need him too this week.
Portis needs some rest this could be the defense that really hurts him long term the guy has been nothing but a warrior but if we want him in future seasons we need to get others on the fild more. Like Mike Seller, pretty much whenever he touches the ball(actaully posses it not dropping it) good things happen. If you get the slightest amount of push from your line then Sellers picks up short yardage no problem.
And I am also looking forward to Big ol 45 going at ray-ray. Wont need to turn the sound up to hear that one itll be loud.

Posted by: Stu27 | December 3, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: REDneckSKINhead | December 3, 2008 3:56 PM

That game plan is widely known, has stopped working, and it's time to look for something different.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 3, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Portis runs on first down plenty. And Cooley seems like he doesn't get ANYTHING coming his way in the first quarter. In Zorn I trust. In talent evaluator, I don't even let touch my garage door opener.

Posted by: dcsween | December 3, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Ilikecougars is the best handle on here right now

Posted by: chevychasepowhatans | December 3, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Dicky Betts?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | December 3, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins need to focus on their identity. Redskins football. Run Run Pass Punt.

Posted by: TheCultureOfLosing | December 3, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

I believe that Clinton Portis is made from molten iron. Given all the parts that seem to be falling off, he seems like he's taken that "Curse of All Running Backs Except Eric Dickerson" thing to heart, i.e., Dickerson's career or bust.

Posted by: dcsween | December 3, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Bostic get bench in 1987 for Grimm at Center?
Where is he gettting these inferences from?
Posted by: 4thFloor | December 3, 2008 3:33 PM

I seem to remember Bostic having to fight for his job pretty much every year from 86 on (in training camp anyway), and he still ended up starting most of the time. If he ever got benched, somebody would get injured and he would move right back in and keep his job for the rest of the year. I think Buges left in 1988 to coach the cards (could be off by a couple of years), so that might have something to do with it. They guy was one of the greats as far as I am concerned.....

Posted by: dlhaze1 | December 3, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

There is no way the Redskins sit Portis for Betts this week. This is crunch time. 1 more loss means Portis can have the week off because the Redskins will be out of it. I don't trust Betts to hold on to the ball and he is not nearly the RB that Portis is.

Posted by: cspwoods3 | December 3, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

" I don't trust Betts to hold on to the ball and he is not nearly the RB that Portis is."

Are you referring to the same Betts that ran for over 1,000 yards a couple of years ago?

Posted by: yellow_jacket98 | December 3, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, so as much as I love this team, after watching what the Dallas and Pittsburgh defenses did to us (both 3-4 schemes), I'm thinking we're going to lose to Baltimore (not by much, but still lose).

I'm of the opinion that Baltimore is a much better team at 8-4 team we are at 7-5 (and I'm not talking about their obvious records).

I think this year will be a learning experience for the offensive players (and coaches), defense will improve (hopefully, we sign D. Hall to a long-term deal) and next year is when we finally turn it on - average more than 20+ points a game and make it in to the playoffs without having to win out-right like we did last year and in '05.

Damn, this has been a long season!

Posted by: 88mph | December 3, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Betts is not the same RB this year he was 2 years ago

Posted by: alex35332 | December 3, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

"Betts is not the same RB this year he was 2 years ago"

Give him more than 2 carries a game and find out.

Posted by: yellow_jacket98 | December 3, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

yeah, give him some carries, and lets see how he does.

Portis isn't the same back either with the injuries he's got.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 3, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Betts is not the same RB this year he was 2 years ago

Posted by: alex35332 | December 3, 2008 4:19 PM

I don't think Betts has had enough touches this year to know what kind of a running back he is. He's only had 45 carries -- about 4 per game. He's averaging 3.7 yards per carry. Two years ago, when he started nine games, he got 245 carries and averaged 4.7 yards. The guy just hasn't had a chance to get in a rhythm.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 3, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 3, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | December 3, 2008 4:09 PM

Thanks dlhaze. I was all of 7 or 8 that year. It was a Super Bowl year. I got that fact from America's Team series where Bostic was saying he got benched for Grimm but came back late in the year when Grimm got innjured and was instrumental to the SB run........

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 3, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

this team is so fragile

Posted by: ripmeast21 | December 3, 2008 8:36 PM | Report abuse

First of all, "Springs is questionable(calf)", you've got to be kidding??!! Can we just please cut this guy at the end of the season? He plays what, 2 or 3 games a year now. It's quite apparent his career is over, his body cannot take it anymore.Portis is banged up, personaly I would like to see Rock back there but I doubt it. Betts is nowhere near the back Portis is, he doesn't have the vision or the acceleration and he fumbles too much.Also this team has too much dead weight on the roster, Erasmus James, Fred Davis etc., use them or release them, get somebody else. Everyone needs to lay off JC the guy has to have more time from the line, yes sometimes he misreads defenses and makes the wrong throw, but mainly the aging line doesn't give him enough time. The expectations are too high for this team the talent is just not there in a lot of areas for this team to get to the playoffs and then go far but the foundation has been laid for the future just need some better choices and decisions from the front office. (Copy the Patriots and Giants)!!!!!

Posted by: 72Redskins | December 3, 2008 11:38 PM | Report abuse