Zorn says Cooley likely headed to IR

Jim Zorn is running down the injuries at the moment and the major one, of course, concerns tight end Chris Cooley, who has a chip on the bottom part of his tibia, according to Zorn.

"[Cooley] is looking at getting a final evaluation from another doctor to see if he needs surgery. He'll be out a minimum of six-to-eight weeks ... so I'm probably looking at putting him on IR [the season-ending injured-reserve list]. He thinks he heals fast and all that kind of stuff and he probably does, but don't think I can keep a roster spot open."

Zorn went on to call the loss of Cooley "devastating" and added that he "is such a good player for us...the loss of him on the field -- and his fight... he brings the fight to the field."

Cooley's injury means the Redskins are in the market for another player.

"We'll be looking for another tight end to come in and help us out," Zorn said.

Cooley isn't likely to be the only player IRed this week: as expected, Chris Samuels probably will go on the list, according to Zorn.

By Rick Maese  |  October 27, 2009; 12:25 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Haynesworth stresses team unity
Next: Portis preaches unity, professionalism

Comments

Cooley and Samuels need to go on IR, pick up Boone from the SF practice squad, and need to get a blocking te in here...sigh..never expected things to be this bad....really didn't...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 27, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

And so the Fred Davis era begins.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 27, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Free Marko. Banish Malcolm.

That is all...

Posted by: mattylight | October 27, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I expected the offense to be hit or miss like last year, but man, it's like they couldn't even hit the ground if it wasn't for gravity.

Posted by: ecale25 | October 27, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Zorn:

We had a lot of successful plays.

(Editors Note: Whaaaa?)

Zorn:

I can call plays.

(Editor's Note: But can you call them well?)

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 27, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

See! SEE! You all wondered why I drafted Fred Davis! I DO know what I'm doing...

Vinny C.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 27, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I think we already have a competent blocking TE, Bean, in Yoda. Unless he also went out with an injury. Did that happen?

Yoda blocks when we need a blocker, and occasionally gets a ball thrown his way... same as before, really.

Davis gets lots of balls thrown his way the rest of the season and gets to blossom into whatever the hell Vinny thought he could be when he was the middle of that WR-TE-WR sandwich.

Also, this sucks.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 27, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Zorn is now making excuses for Campbell. Saying players are told not to go near the QB when playing in practice.

But don't ALL teams do that in practice?

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 27, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

JZ making like JC is a rookie needing to know that he is going to get hit hard in games. What, is JC an idiot?

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 27, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Cooley to IR? An open roster spot?

Let's sign another RB!

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | October 27, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Redskins in the market for a tight end?

Guess that rules out the Village People.

Posted by: laserwizard | October 27, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

I can't help but going back to the Redskins/Pats game in preseason...I can't tell you how many pats fans came up to me, and said how they were so impressed with the Redskins, and said how they were going to be really good this year....where did that go....ugh, its so friggin frustrating..

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 27, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

What, is JC an idiot?

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 27, 2009 12:39 PM

Ummm...

Posted by: LarryBud | October 27, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Worst Presser Eva....

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 27, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Zorn:

We had a lot of successful plays.

(Editors Note: Whaaaa?)

[4-12 note: JC pump fake, 'Tana open, nobody w/in 25 yards of him...JC checks down.]

Zorn:

I can call plays.

(Editor's Note: But can you call them well?)

[4-12 note: Last night clearly showed it's not play calling...it's "These guys stink"]

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 27, 2009 12:37 PM

Posted by: 4-12 | October 27, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 27, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

It went where we all knew it would. Injuries on the offensive line and absolutely no depth to step up.

Posted by: mhaslup1 | October 27, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 27, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

It's matchup. The Pats don't have a good pass rush. That helps mask our crappy line.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 27, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Actually NAte, with Sherm Lewis calling the plays, expect to see more production out of DT11 and Sleepy. MK12 has fallen out of the coaches graces.

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 27, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

I've definately had enough of the Malcolm Kelly experiment. I'm not one of the fanboys riding Marko Mitchell's nuts like some of the RI posters as I think MM would come back to earth quick against a starting D. That being said, at this point ANYONE is better than MK and ARE. It's not like they are doing anything anyway.

I think it's time to start evaluating the benchwarmers on the offensive side of the ball. Time to see if there are any ballers amongst the dregs.

On a positive note, Sherman Lewis's playcalling was a HUGE improvement IMO. He created mismatches, utilized the younger players, called plays to suit his players' abilities better than Zorn ever did, and most importantly he helped the offense put points on the board. Zorn can say "oh it didn't really help" all he wants, but the skins put up as many points in this game as they did in the last 2-3 games (maybe even the last 2 or so combined, can't remember the scores off-hand).

ARE is still the ultimate momentum killer though. Also, wasn't he back there for his "sure hands"? He's muffed a punt in what, like three games running now? If I was the defense I would have beat his a$$ after that muff. Totally wasted a great defensive effort.

Posted by: ecale25 | October 27, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I thought our offense looked like a professional football team last night from a play calling standpoint.

We converted a butt load of 3rd downs.

The offensive line is like swiss cheese and with costly turnovers we had no chance to establish a running game; unfortunate.

The only really questionable play calls that had me scratching my head was we did a corner endzone pass to (short) Moss and then came back with a slant route to Malcolm Kelly....probably should have those two calls reversed.

How many times does Randle-El need to fumble before we remove him from punt returns? The momentum lost when he fumbled that punt cannot be measured.

Posted by: isnadd | October 27, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

4th, I don't think he's fallen out of their graces...maybe the thumb is a bigger issue...this is really depressing...

trying however to see the good in this...nah..nevermind..

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 27, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

trying however to see the good in this...nah..nevermind..

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 27, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

If ARE is still returning punts after the bye, then the entire coaching staff needs to be fired.

Someone needs to tell Zorn or Smith whoever makes that choice, that he needs to find another returner.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 27, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

I bet MK12 sees more production in the next couple games. He's a very big guy with great hands. Once we stop trying to use him as a deep threat we'll start using him to spread the field horizontally. He'd be great on a fade or an out route.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 27, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

double post!!! awesome....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 27, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

'los is still looking for you, Beantown.

Posted by: 4-12 | October 27, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and Sherm Lewis didn't make any of Zorn's trademark super stupid horrendous rediculous wtfareyouthinking playcalls that directly to points for the other team.

However, we should have kicked a field goal on that redzone 4th down instead of getting 0 points when rabach decided to give the fumbleruski a try. I said it was a bad call the second the offense stayed on the field and got proved right. The skins have GOT to stop leaving points on the field, players and coaches both.

Posted by: ecale25 | October 27, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

4-12, los couldn't catch my sorry white 39 year old azz, I'd put the slowest double move on him, he'd STILL bite on it...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 27, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

We converted a butt load of 3rd downs.

Posted by: isnadd | October 27, 2009 12:48 PM

3 for 12 is a "butt load?" Unless you're using the OTHER definition of "butt load"...

Posted by: 4-12 | October 27, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ecale25 | October 27, 2009 12:54 PM |

Thats Zorns call to go for it or not.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 27, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 27, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

__________________

I don't think we'll see a whole lot of production from any WR on this team this year. Not with this QB and not with this offensive line.

Posted by: dfbovey | October 27, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ecale25 | October 27, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Had Rabach not fumbled that Devin Thomas was wide open again on the exact same play he scored on. It was a great call....bad execution.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 27, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Robbie Agnone was in the Redskins' training camp and is a tight end sitting on New England's practice squad. Take him.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 27, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Offence looks as bad as ever. No Oline to speak of. JC is terrible, Misses sh*t all over the field. Defence gives up big plays. Special teams never sets us up with good field position. I mean all 3 phases really need to be closely evaluated come January. Hopefully our nw GM and Head Coach can do that. Oh wait I just woke up. Vinny til Death. Looking forward to that.

Posted by: FedorEm | October 27, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I still vote for Zorn, ARE, and Heyer to be taken out back and shot.

Posted by: ecale25 | October 27, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

we have gone 6-2, and won 4 straight recently

we need to go 8-1 or 7-2, even in a best case scenario I don't think we can pull that off.

Snyder's ST's suck, don't blame it on 82!

This team could be good next year if we can get 1-2 quality FA OLs AND 3-5 quality rookie OLs.

Jason Campbell you are a warrior sir, I hope we see you in brgandy and gold next year!

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 27, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

LMAO@ 4-12.....

Speaking of Coach Danny Smith. Did you see him on the sideline cussing out the ref when the penalty went the wrong way? And did you see Jim Zorn looking DUMBFOUNDED?!?

Who would you have thought was the Head Coach right there?

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 27, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Sign Chase Daniel back to the team, and start getting him ready to play. If Colt Brennan weren't on IR, I'd say to start getting him ready instead.

In the meantime, move Collins to #1 and Campbell to #2.

I know a lot of you will call me an idiot for suggesting this, but Jason Campbell will not be a Redskin next year, so what's the point of continuing to play him? He just doesn't read the field well, and at this point any time invested in trying to make him better is wasted.

With Daniel, you've at least got a guy who showed you enough to pick him up to begin with, and who played well in preseason (I know, it's only preseason), and who understands the system (which is what separates him from other available QBs at the moment). He has more upside than Campbell.

Will we win any games with Daniel in there? Not likely.

But are we going to win any more games with Campbell or Collins in there? Not likely. I honestly don't see us winning another game this season regardless of who is under center.

So give Daniel a trial by fire. It will only make him better.

And yes, I KNOW our O-line is bad, and that it has hurt Campbell's play. But there are too many things that have to go right in order for Campbell to play well. He's a lot like Todd Collins in that regard. A good QB has to be able to improvise when things break down, and Campbell just doesn't have that talent, it appears. It pains me to say that, because I've supported, defended, and rooted for the guy ever since he got here. But he's had plenty of chances to show us what he's got, and what he's got just isn't enough.

Posted by: freakzilla | October 27, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Did Zorn really say, "Different play caller - same result"? Does he realize what he was saying? I see this as saying that a guy calling BINGO two weeks ago came in, browsed the play book, and did as well as the head coach who has been here for two years... And for the record, I think S. Lewis did a much better job calling the plays against a top rated defense than Zorn did calling the plays against some of the chump teams played earlier in the season. Come on Danny, pull the plug on the Zorn experiment. Just because Vinny promised the guy would keep his job, it doesn't mean the owner cannot intervene...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 27, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

The funny thing is, DeAngelo Hall was back there for one punt return.

That's the guy who should have been returning punts since the day he got here.

Just stick with D. Hall. They're paying him lots of dough, get the most out of him.

And Carlos Rogers can go, the sooner the better. He thinks he's a lot better than he actually is.

I'd take my chances with K. Barnes next year (or even the rest of this season, since this season is shot).

Giants 5-2
Cowboys 4-2
Eagles 4-2
Redskins 2-5

It's ovah, for 2009 anyway.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | October 27, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Flounder

The Gist of it was DD hates the post and their negative coverage. Every time he said "post" i think he was saying Dan Steinburg, but thats just my opinion.

He has an issue with 3-4 stories overall.

1. Stories that fans are rebelling (claim is that fans love the team and most of it is isolated stories made to be a mass change)
2. The story about suing fans. (says its isolated incidents and only club tickets)
3. Story of selling tix to Stub-hub, (said the post exaggerated the number)
4. The John Cooke story, he just flat out did not like it.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 27, 2009 12:24 PM |

After all these years WaPo can't shake it's Nixon jones, can they? The only problem is that as much as they stir up the rabble, Snyder isn't accountable the way Nixon was. Surprised the tree assassination story did not come up. Heh, heh.

Posted by: LittleGreenBag | October 27, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

In other news, London Fletcher, who came out of the game completely healthy last night, was struck by a bolt of lightening on his way in to get treatment at Redskin Park.

Fletcher, who has never been injured in his career, will be put on IR for the year.

Yeah, of course that didn't happen. But would it really surprise you at this point?

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | October 27, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Sign Chase Daniel back to the team, and start getting him ready to play.

Posted by: freakzilla | October 27, 2009 1:01 PM

Why Chase Daniel? Why not Drew Brees? Both guys are on the New Orleans roster, not the practice squad. Chase Daniel is gone the way of Leigh Torrence.

Posted by: League-Source | October 27, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Bucs just cut some offensive lineman named Marcus Johnson....

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 27, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Sign Garcia -- The Skins need a better QB...

Posted by: siris | October 27, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Also, what's with the clowns on here saying Haynesworth is not worth it? Dude is a baller, makes plays despite being double teamed constantly and makes the people around him better. I saw one post that said to get rid of Haynesworth and keep Carter!?! Are you crazy? Why do you think Carter is doing so well? Haynesworth has helped make this D-Line relevant again. Dude was worth every penny.

Posted by: ecale25 | October 27, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

**Sign Chase Daniel back to the team, and start getting him ready to play.**

Chase is on NO's active roster...we would need to trade for him.

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 27, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: League-Source | October 27, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

the worst part of this, to me is the irrelevance of this whole season...I mean its like a foregone conclusion as to how these games will go...last night was a mere glimpse of how the rest of the year will be.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 27, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

reply to previous thread:

This team has 3 safeties (Horton, Landry, Doughty) and they're relying on a CB for deep coverage on a 3rd and 23?
Say what you want about rogers, but Rogers and Hall have made this team a top 5 passing defense in the NFL. Fact is, if u give any QB as much time as mcNabb had on a THIRD AND 23, you BETTER HAVE SAFETIES PLAYING DEEP.
I seem to recall that Philly blitzed 7-8 guys everytime the Skins had 3rd and more than 7 yards. Why can't we do that? When it's clear to EVERYBODY that philly cannot convert 3rd and long (because they dont have a possession receiver), why cant we take away what they love (THE BIG PLAY)?
whatever the video evidence may show, that play was NOT ON ROGERS. If moss didn't get played man-man and safety help every single game, he'd have many more yards. moss gets shut down every game, why cant we do that to Philly's best receiver when WESTBROOK IS OUT?!!?!?!?!? simply ridiculous that people are throwing rogers under the bus. look at the stats people. he may drop a lot of INTs, but he does a hell of a job for a bargain of a price.
WE have the #3 RANKED PASSING DEFENSE, lets give hall/rogers some credit. it's not their fault they're playing catchup all the time.

Posted by: kman2 | October 27, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Quite simply, losing Cooley for anything from six to eight weeks to the rest of the season adds injury to insult to injury. Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse to bleed burgundy and gold.

As for the playcalling, Sherm Lewis didn't call plays like a kindly old bingo caller. Even better, he didn't call plays like Jim Zorn. Zornie should have taken the field goal with his team down 27-10 facing fourth and goal from the 4. I also thought going for it on the 23 or wherever their first fourth down on that drive had been was a bad idea...

Hope the Skins can use the two weeks to get better with Lewis calling the plays. Maybe Jerry Gray will get promoted to head coach and put Dead Man Walking out of his misery.

Posted by: msarzo73 | October 27, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Its hilarious how all the arm chair qb's who see receivers open on the field from their comfy couch or from the stands. If you could really do a better job wouldn't you be out there on the field? Just like B-Mitch said last night yes Jason deserves some blame but doesn't a fierce pass rush make every qb ordinary? Tom Brady threw 50 touchdowns two years ago. What did he do in that Super Bowl when he was under tremendous pressure. NOTHING!!! So the qb is partially irrelevant just like skill players if the O-line can't block.

Posted by: dlp22476 | October 27, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Why, Oh why are the Redskins trying to make Jason Cambell a west coast QB? The man was drafted by Joe Gibbs. He will never be any good in that type of offense! He has a good arm but needs to be in a different system. The Redskins need a general manager to get some offensive lineman on this team!! They are so doomed with Vinny trying to be what he will never be. When I listen to the comments of the guys in the booth saying over and over again that the QB needs to stop being so skidish in the pocket and just let it go, it makes wonder why the hell cant the owner or the vice pres. of football opperations see it!! Notice that I didnt call him the GM! Can anyone tell me if any team in any sport what so ever have won a championship without a GENERAL MANAGER? I feel sorry for the great defense that this team has! They put out such a great effort game after game only to see the offense fail game after game! Yes it is time to call out the offense of this team! They look like a high school team on offense! Neglect that line and this is what they get! If you want to play the west coast offense then get a QB that can play in it! Stop babying Cambell he`s a grown man!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | October 27, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Things happen for a reason but you can either run with it as an opportunity or sit on your but and give up. Take the Cooley situation for example. He is a possession receiver with little down the field speed and just an average blocker in case you haven't noticed. Davis on the other hand brings an element of speed at the tight end position that this team really needs on offense. Now he gets his chance and if he improves his blocking he could be a real good one.

Posted by: dandyhuffman | October 27, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

At least the country got a good long look at Cooley's new hair color as he was carted off the field...

Posted by: randysbailin | October 27, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse