Zorn Says Jansen Is Likely to Start

From Jason Reid

Although injured right tackle Stephon Heyer could start Sunday against the Dallas Cowboys, the Washington Redskins yesterday were leaning toward having Jon Jansen in that spot, Coach Jim Zorn said. "Right now, we're with Jon Jansen," Zorn said after the Redskins completed preparations at Redskins Park. "Stephon got some practice time in today, so he's feeling better. I think [it will be] a game-time decision, but right now, to me, it looks like Jansen is the guy for us."

After Heyer injured his left shoulder in last Sunday's 24-17 victory over the Arizona Cardinals, Jansen briefly replaced Heyer and "did fine," Zorn said. Heyer sat out practice Wednesday and tested his shoulder in drills the last two days. After practice yesterday, Heyer said he could play against Dallas.

"It's a coach's decision, you know, what he wants me to do," said Heyer, whose shoulder was still wrapped as he left the complex.

"I'm trying to get healthy. I'm trying to make sure I'm out there. It's slowly coming back, getting my strength back. It's been a rough couple of days, but it's been getting there."

Heyer could start, play or be inactive against Dallas, Zorn said. "I've got some decisions to make," Zorn said. "I can't make those decisions right now. We'd have some talking to do about that."

Zorn demoted Jansen, a longtime starter at right tackle, and elevated Heyer to the first team before the season opener against the New York Giants because Jansen struggled in pass protection throughout the preseason. "It's their decision," Jansen said. "When they tell me, I'll go with it."

...

Defensive tackle Anthony Montomery was excused from practice for personal reasons. Montgomery, who was at the complex after practice, will play Sunday, Zorn said.

...

Rookie wide receiver Malcolm Kelly (ankle) labored throughout practice and might be inactive for the second consecutive week. "I've tried to go out and go a few times and it's been bothering me," Kelly said. "Today, they tried something different as far as the way they taped it.

The coaching staff "has just told me to make sure I know the play. They want me to be ready just in case" he is active.

...

Strong-side linebacker Marcus Washington (hamstring) could be a game-time decision. Cornerback Fred Smoot (hip) "is fine," Zorn said. "We're in decent shape. We've just got a few question marks."

By Cindy Boren  |  September 26, 2008; 2:08 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Loss of Taylor Changes Redskins' Approach
Next: Heyer Draws $5,000 Fine from NFL

Comments

JJ is gonna have hands full. Run the rock kids.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 26, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Washington's body is just falling apart. I feel for the guy after having a health off-season and all they hype about him being healthy. Time to look for his replacement.

As for Kelly, or better known to me as Gingerbreat boy, he's a malinger and needs to grow some sack.

F-Dallas

Hail!

Posted by: Devo2 | September 26, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I think we have just as good a chance winning against D this week as we do against philly next, maybe even both. Wish we were getting iglets this week and the girls next but whatev. Dallas will be won in the trenches as it always is and I feel that that is a strenght of our team, we are doing the things we need to to minimze the impact of teams running game, were getting to the QB and on thing i love that we brought from the preseason is the nack for tipping balls at the line. We have gotten turnovers and killed drives by getting those mitts up there, hope we continue to do so. Slow the run lay out TO early play smart, bench doughty and let Homo self impolde like he always does under pressure.

Posted by: Stu27 | September 26, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

where are our college scouts? anyone got names of a new CB for us?

Posted by: alex35332 | September 26, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Okay, Jansen did okay, but the first play he was in, Campbell got sacked, right? Ohhhh boy.

And I am not sure who is more brittle between M. Washington and M. Kelly. Maybe they should race each other to see who comes out of it worse.....

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 26, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

where are our college scouts? anyone got names of a new CB for us?

Posted by: alex35332 | September 26, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

CG, LB, O and D Line, we have many needs this off-season. But I think we can manage with one or two good free agent signings. Nothing extravagent. Just some solid players. I'll have to see who the free agents are next year.

Posted by: Devo2 | September 26, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 26, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

At least Washington played for a few years before his body broke down. Kelly's hasn't even begun. I bet Zorn hasn't even given him his sticker yet. I wouldn't have.

Posted by: Devo2 | September 26, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

What are you doing dissin on M.WASHINGTON that dude has been by far our most consistant defensive player for at half a decade now.

Posted by: Stu27 | September 26, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

If i were zorn I would start taking the stripes of the helmet for Kelly.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 26, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Skins 70 Dallas 3

Posted by: alex35332 | September 26, 2008 2:09 PM

C'mon, alex. Be realistic.

Skins 42
Dallas 9

Posted by: freakzilla | September 26, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Damn! Now I am worried since JJ is going to be in there.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | September 26, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Not dissing the guy, he's been great and he's a proven leader, not to mention a class act. But his body is failing him and we need healthy bodies in there. That's football in the NFL.

Posted by: Devo2 | September 26, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Freakzilla but then how does JC get the 600 yards I expect him to get.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 26, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Just getting my foot in the registration door, trying to penetrate the registration barrier...

Been posting under a different handle. But now I'm back. And OK.

Hail!

Posted by: Good2bOK | September 26, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Damn! Now I am worried since JJ is going to be in there.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | September 26, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

It goes down one of two ways:

1) he really hasn't recovered from last years injury and gets JC destroyed

2) he's really angry from sitting the last three weeks and comes out swinging like a mad man and drives people off the LOS on run downs and hold's his own in pass protection.

Be interesting to watch...

Posted by: Devo2 | September 26, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Calling the guy brittle seems like a dis to me this is a freakin LB that weve been linning up at DE for the last 2-3 years what do you expect to happen.

Posted by: Stu27 | September 26, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

skins: 63
cowboys:3

Posted by: FAB88 | September 26, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Kelly might should have been put on IR, to use his spot for someone else, but then again, there is quite a bit of football left to be played, I'm willing to be patient, at least he's working hard by all accounts.

Posted by: craig2 | September 26, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I hope you are right Devo2

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | September 26, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

HTTR(egistration)!
i have lots of work to do here.

Posted by: notguy | September 26, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Once again I am going on record saying Kelly will be a beast. I hope he proves me right as JC is starting to prove me right.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | September 26, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Registration...fun stuff!

If the Redskins win on Sunday, next week will mark the third week in a row that the Redskins just-defeated opponent will show up in the power rankings above the Skins. Granted, I only saw Arizona above the Skins in one set of rankings, but still. It's a funny trend

Posted by: -swb | September 26, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

no moss on the teams!

Posted by: bms46and2 | September 26, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | September 26, 2008 2:32 PM
I like the guy, and when healthy he's a sometimes beast (celebrates a little too much for my taste), but face it, they guy is turning into a walking question mark each week due to health issues. Call it what you want, we need healthy players in there.....

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 26, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

I do like the name on the jersey though.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 26, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Still think hes a valuable player on our team. Do you want to get rid of him? I still think he has playing time left in him, oh wait your saying we need more LBs, thats a statement!, thanks.

Posted by: Stu27 | September 26, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully Rocky can get off blocks and help carter on the right, b/c D Evans is stout against the run. Also i hope Horton or Doughty is shaded to that side b/c I dont want LL in run support... he should be deep middle and clean up hitter on a RB>...

Posted by: Zeebs | September 26, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

53 will be fine and will bring it on Sunday. Don't worry about him.

Posted by: Good2bOK | September 26, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

You people dissing Washington and Kelly are poor fans and ignorant to boot. Kelly is a wimp because his ankle is taking longer to heal? And poor Washington is so brittle simply because after three hard-fought games he's gotten nicked.

The only thing brittle is your harsh impatience. If this is how you treat friends I'd hate to see how you treat an acquaintance.

Posted by: Ride2K | September 26, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Ride2K, get off your high horse a little. Wash has been injury prone the last 3 years. It is no stretch to say he is brittle.

But if anyone thinks he is weak or somehow not giving it his all, or a wimp... then I would agree. But I dont think that was what is being said.

Kelly was knocked for his poor injury recovery, that is well documented.

Posted by: Zeebs | September 26, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Please dont ever put M.W and Kelley in the same sentance ever again either. Comparing those two injuries is off base.

Posted by: Stu27 | September 26, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

after reading that bill simmons BS...i say F THE GIRLS!!!! like the girls have done anything more than the skins in the past 11 years...

Posted by: dealer1 | September 26, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Washington is a great player, period. I'd like to see a free-agent linebacker signed in the off-season to spell Washington and extend that mans career in DC. For example, Angelo Crowell. Dude is a tackle machine in Buffalo (took over for most tackles after London Fletcher joined the Skins) and will be a free agent this off-season. Best part: he should come at a reasonable price because he isn't playing this season because Buffalo got pissed he decided to get his knee scoped the weekend before the season opener and they IR'd him for the entire year out of spite. Complete low-risk, high-reward situation.

Posted by: AppleScience | September 26, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

well said dealer.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 26, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Number 30 needs to take a half hour or so this week and watch highlight tapes of Sean Taylor lighting up TO over the middle. A couple of clean hits, and TO gets his head on a swivel and get alligator arms. This is the game that LL needs to establish himself as the enforcer in the secondary.

Posted by: Good2bOK | September 26, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Complete low-risk, high-reward situation.

Posted by: AppleScience
I like those types of moves.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 26, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Now here is something that makes sense:
" The Redskins are not getting much respect in this one, despite the fact they have won four of the last six meetings and are 5-1 ATS the last three years. Dallas is coming off a Sunday night road win, the third straight time this season the away team has won on Sunday evening. The first two clubs, the Bears and Steelers, both lost the following week.

Take the Redskins plus the points."

Posted by: craig2 | September 26, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Agreed Zeebs. 53 has not been the same since the hip surgery a couple of years ago. Not because of heart or will but the injuries have piled up recently.

The Kelly issue is just overall frustrating. From not being in condition for camp. The injury during camp then knee surgery now the ankle. I think he can be productive just not on the sideline.

Posted by: WVskinzfan | September 26, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Ride2K

As a former Service Member Sniper, I'd say I'm tough enough. I've experienced my fare share of pain and discomfort.

I wonder, have you ever gone without food and water to the point of hallucination or carried another mans ruck sack b/c his feet are blistered to the point of blood letting? I highly doubt it.

Go cry to someone else.

One the note of Washington. The hard fact is that he's injured more often than he's healthy.

Posted by: Devo2 | September 26, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

gotta love peoples self delusions on this blog.

Posted by: Stu27 | September 26, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Ride2K,
Calling someone you don't know a poor fan based on one comment is what is ignorant.
Didn't say either one of them was a wimp; your words, not mine.
Washington has been injury prone, "nicked"-prone, whatever you want to call it since 05.
If you've been up here at all for the past couple years, you would see that I am one of the most patient guys around. Welcome to the blog.

"If this is how you treat friends I'd hate to see how you treat an acquaintance." - Possibly the dumbest thing I've read up here in a while. I don't happen to know either one of them. Just a fan. I guess you're tight with them. Say hi for me after practice.
"But then you're tough NFL guys, right? I bet if any of you had just one of Washington's injuries, you'd be in bed whining for your wife (or mother) to bring you dinner and pudding." - Yawn........
Guys like you are the first to boo and also the first to turn around and say "My man!" when the guy makes a play. - Double yawn
Please throw in a comment indicating the sports bar where you watch the games so the rest of us can be sure to go somewhere else. Or if you watch at home so we can pray for your family. - Triple yawn. And you sound like a real Christian by the way. Let me know when you are actually old enough to get into a sports bar.

I actually like the potential of Kelly and love Washington when he's healthy. I'm not saying cut either guy, I just want to see Washington either in thereplaying with pain, or if he's not going to be productive, sit him out til fully healthy. Same with Kelly.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 26, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

I would like to take Terredactal Owens out to nice seafood dinner on the Bay, sun setting, mandolin music wafting in over the water and tell him, "look, it's not me, it you. You're a bad person" right as he is in the middle of this 1st course meal, then leave him with the check.

HAIL!

Posted by: P00P | September 26, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Something tells me that on Sunday Z-Man earns his coaching stripes and pulls off the first of many memorable W's!!

Posted by: skinsnwiz | September 26, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Ah, registration is like a breath of fresh air.

Looks like I'll be able to actually catch the game on TV this weekend all the way in Minnesota. The internet radio is great, but...

HTTR! Larry "The Smarm" Michaels can eat it this weekend.

Posted by: MNSkinsFan | September 26, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Simple defensive plan this week: Hit TO and Barber early, often, and hard.

Posted by: Good2bOK | September 26, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Hit Barber low, and gang tackle....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | September 26, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Simple defensive plan this week: Hit TO and Barber early, often, and hard.

Posted by: Good2bOK | September 26, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I like that, Keep It Simple Stupid

Posted by: Devo2 | September 26, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I like Marcus Washington if only because he's such a good dancer and he introduced me to this song:

Posted by: MNSkinsFan | September 26, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Injury proned M.WASHINGTON has missed 4 regular season games over the past three years. 2005-2007. WOW must suck to much to play, awful brittle dont know why we still have him. You people suck to much one of the true players on our team and your gonna hate on him. F-off your not a fan!

Posted by: Stu27 | September 26, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

i don't want your stinkin points give me skins straight up!!!

btw...ann hornaday reviewed miracle at st. anna by spike lee and it don't look good for lee...still trying to do the right thing with this movie...lee, it was the right thing cuz you just laid it out there without much speechification...

As if the core story of "Miracle at St. Anna" weren't handled awkwardly enough, Lee hangs it all on the rickety scaffolding of a truly ridiculous framing device, with a nonsensical cameo appearance by John Leguizamo at the beginning and a "Fantasy Island"-like wrap-up at the end. With that final insult, "Miracle at St. Anna" finds Lee, always a wildly uneven filmmaker, at his most confounding, using all manner of stylistic and narrative hyperbole to obscure otherwise legible and gripping material.

Overwrought, overproduced, overbusy and overlong, "Miracle at St. Anna" finally suffers from the most grievous filmmaking sin of all: the failure of trust, in the story and the audience. And no miracle can overcome that.

Posted by: dealer1 | September 26, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

FF help

Devery Henderson vs SF
or
Fred jackson (backup to Lynch in Buff) vs StL

I know Brees is going to throw plenty. Colston, Shockey are out and Patten is hurting (anyone else shocked?) All of which means Henderson could get a bunch of looks and he is a big play guy.

Jackson is decent. If Buffalo blows out StL (and who hasn't?) then I'd think Jackson gets a lot of carries in the 4th quarter

Suggestions?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 26, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Skins need sure tackling this weekend. Barber's successful when he's breaking through the first (and 2nd) tackles.....if the first guy there each time can take him down we should be in good shape. I like Springs and Rogers coming off the corners on run plays; they are usually strong taclkers and can make this happen. Although Springs might be instructed to not let TO out of his sights no matter what....

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 26, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

You got my vote Good

Posted by: Zeebs | September 26, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

I AM IN FULL FREAK OUT MODE MAAAAN! ...those lil 5-hour energy drinks DO work...

Posted by: P00P | September 26, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Hey Stu,

Bygones....don't know how I
Live with myself.
One of these days, karma
Will surely get back at

Me. Can you
Ever forgive me?

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 26, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Man, nobody is talking about Patrick Crayton. That's gotta fire a guy up.

Posted by: SMACK1 | September 26, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Hey Minnesota - how did you access the Internet radio? I went to ESPN980 site, clicked where it said listen live, and it never kicked off...did you open a media player first?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 26, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | September 26, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

So if I disagee with our government and public officials over how they run things, am I Un-American? Should I move to Canada or Venezuela for that matter?

I agree with many of your posts, but double check your logic next time.

Posted by: Devo2 | September 26, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Man, nobody is talking about Patrick Crayton. That's gotta fire a guy up.

Posted by: SMACK1 | September 26, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't help much when you caught nary a pass last week while TO was getting doubled covered and special teams ace Miles Austin was torching the secondary with a career day.

Posted by: SirAnonymoustheGreat | September 26, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

From the Times:

Defensive end Jason Taylor is walking, four days after having emergency surgery on his left calf on Monday morning. When Taylor left Redskin Park on Wednesday, he was on crutches. On Thursday, he had one crutch and had a Redskins staffer carrying a box for him. Taylor just walked out the building without crutches and carrying his own box. That's a hopeful sign that he coudl be back as soon as next week's game at Philadelphia.

Also, defensive tackle Anthony Montgomery was not on hand for the start of practice. Everyone else was present and accounted for.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | September 26, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

FF help

Devery Henderson vs SF
or
Fred jackson (backup to Lynch in Buff) vs StL

Suggestions?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 26, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

I'd have to go with the guy who has the best chance of being on the field throughout the game...DH

Posted by: SirAnonymoustheGreat | September 26, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Its all good. I got nothing but love for anyone dawning the colors. Its Dallas week were all on edge. time to channel that energy toward something constructive. F DALLAS!!!

Posted by: Stu27 | September 26, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Vinny said that they think he gets the stitches out in 4 days and he should be gtg.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 26, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Well Stu;

He played in

2005 - 16 games ( - two games , 2 playoffs)
2006 - 14 games (- 2 games)
2007 - 12 games (-5 games, 1 playoff)

Posted by: Zeebs | September 26, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

beep beep...
Heyer fined by NFL

Posted by: Cindy Boren | September 26, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

yes u should devo im sure you would find the CFL better for your tastes.

Posted by: Stu27 | September 26, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

From the Times:

Posted by: BeantownGreg | September 26, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Ahh it nice to get a breath of fresh air from the Times every now and then.

The pessimism here wears on you after a while.

Posted by: SirAnonymoustheGreat | September 26, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Why is Tom Boswell the best in the biz? I asked a question with a point of view. He answers it with 100 times more insight. He is a fantastic writer and a great thinker.

AL SJ CA: Bos, I think you've been a great writer for years. Your work stands head and shoulders above others. Which brings me to my point. There is more sports coverage than ever, but the quality of the story telling has diminished.

Writing especially, seems to be becoming a lost art. Do you sense the same thing? Or is great stuff still out there but hard to find in the overflow of the web? And how will first-rate writing survive in all this?

Tom Boswell: You nailed it.

Just another example of our national "dumbing down." We pay a huge price in so many areas. Good writing forces the habit of clear thinking __on both the writer and the reader. In the current national discussion of the so-called "bail out," we see a brutally obvious example of our increasing difficulty as a nation to discuss any difficult subject cogently. We have been falling back on "sound bites," partisan slanders and half-lies in our political life for many years. Often on both sides. I once wrote that politcis had simply followed Professional Wrestling into the gutter and comic theater andname calling.

However, the Internet also allows the opportunity to seek out the better writers __according to your tastes__ from more venues.

Nevertheless, I couldn't agree more with your premise: more information, less insight, less story telling, more sappy soap opera and hyped controversy, less humanity.

I always say to Wilbon, "Do all the TV you want. You love it. But never stop writing. Because that's where good thinking often starts."

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 26, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | September 26, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Agreed, F-Dallas

This town needs to go crazy over this week like the good'ol days.

Instead we're all on here blogging. How lame

Posted by: Devo2 | September 26, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Redskins !!!! come out to play yay !!
Lets gets started on your excuses for losing to the Cowboys :
1. Jason Taylor was out, if he hadd been there WE WOULD HAVE WON.
2. We just were not ready for the travel, if we had only gone to bed early!
3. Its so hot there, were not used to that heat.
4. They got lucky ! we will win next time !
5. The referees cheated did you see all the bad calls against us, ITS A CONSPIRACY !!
6. The turf was to hard, I think there is concrete under there ?
7. Little Dani Snyder made Jerry Jones mad ! if he had just kept his big mouth shut, and not made them mad ! WE WOULD HAVE WON !
8. We were not ready ! our coaches did not prepare us Psychologically for the beating we knew we were going to get !
9. Barbara Steisand was in the stands rooting for the Skins, you know she is dating Jason Campbell, its her fault !
10. Its Zorns fault, if we had Joe Gibbs in there WE WOULD HAVE WON !!

Posted by: aceventura100 | September 26, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse