Zorn Says Portis Is '50-50'

Jason Reid reports:

Washington Redskins running back Clinton Portis, who recently added a rib muscle strain to his array of injuries, is considered only "50-50" to play Sunday against the New York Giants at FedEx Field, Coach Jim Zorn said yesterday.

"There's a chance he'll be there," Zorn said after practice at Redskins Park, "but he's still questionable."

Although hampered by a number of injuries throughout the season, Portis has not missed a game and leads the NFL with 1,206 rushing yards. Portis - who has seven touchdowns and a 4.9-yard average - rushed 29 times for 143 yards Sunday in a 20-17 victory over the Seattle Seahawks at Qwest Field.

After sitting out practice Wednesday and Thursday, Portis "took some reps" today, Zorn said.

By Cindy Boren  |  November 28, 2008; 1:37 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fletcher Says He's a Game-Time Decision
Next: Samuels' Knee 'Still Not Right'

Comments

Oh, come off it Z-man...you know good and damn well Portis is playin', especially with Sean Taylor going in the ring of honor.

London Fletcher is playing too...so let's stop the games and play ball!

Posted by: rickyroge | November 28, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Let me be the first to say that he'll play

Posted by: jumbo5383 | November 28, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

it's not weather or not they'll play it's how effective they're going to be if they do play and should they play...

Posted by: dealer1 | November 28, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

If Portis does not play, this will be the FIRST start he missed all season.

Posted by: rickmort | November 28, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

DAMN IT!!!

Posted by: rickmort | November 28, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Have no worries.... Both will play... We can't have Fincher in there.. I've had it with M.Wash and his injuries.... I think he's not here next year.

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | November 28, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure where they would deport me to.

Posted by: slipperyrichard | November 28, 2008 1:11 PM

Guantanamo.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 28, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Ahh yes a trip to Gauntanamo for eating Potatoes Au-Gratin on Thanksgivng. Seems to fit the punishment no ?

My oh my how the very existence of Guatanamo gives Mr. Evaluator such a warm safe & secure feeling inside. How would he sleep w/out it's existence ?

TE, Get's some rest my friend, it could be a long & grueling 8 for you.

Posted by: slipperyrichard | November 28, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I agree both will play but Clegg, why are you down on Fincher? He wouldn't replace London, he's play strong side and HB would move to the middle.

Regardless, we HAVE to have 59 and 26. Both will play. ZMan doesn't want to tip his hand too early.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 28, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

London Fletcher is playing too...so let's stop the games and play ball!

Posted by: rickyroge | November 28, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

***********

Yes and let's also tell them what are first 20 plays will be as well. We do not need any advantage no matter how slight. Might as well not have any type of advantage whatsoever...I mean it's not a big game or anything.

Posted by: rickmort | November 28, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Alright video tekkies:

I just brought a video camera. I did not have MP4 Capabilities. Am I in trouble?

Everything else I was reading on the side of the box seemed the same other than that......

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 28, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm down on Fincher b/c he's Fincher... Blades isn't my fav anyways. Opposing teams always find a way to isolate him on the TE and he's toast....

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | November 28, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Also...

Questionable = 50/50 chance of playing.

So, Zorn is only telling the facts in the NFL literal sense.

He'll play on Sunday.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 28, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Portis does the double this weekend. 25 carries for 136 AND 12 tackles, one sack at linebacker!

Posted by: REDneckSKINhead | November 28, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

CP playing? That's like wondering if the sun will come up. Hopefully both Jansen and Samuels eat their Wheaties and shut down Tuck, too. We have got to get this game.

And Fincher will shine...trust me.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 28, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Crucial that our "walking wounded" guys play as well as they can... Samuels, Portis, Springs, all of 'em... we need every swingin' soul to carry off the upset victory I so badly want to see...

Let's do this. Let's be the first NFC East team to beat the Jints this season. Let's make it clear that ours is a team to be reckoned with. Let's show how much we want this... c'mon now...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 28, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer1 | November 28, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

as long as the game is not in primetime we will be ok.

Posted by: rickmort | November 28, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

NATE,

I like the way you think.,... sometimes I wish I could give the pre-game speech or even the half time speech.. I wish they wanted it as badly as we do!!!!!!

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | November 28, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

My read:

Portis will play, Betts will see a lot of work, and Big Mike will get a few.

London will sit, Blades will go at MLB, Marcus will sit, Jason Taylor will play OLB and get 2.5 sacks from there.

I think Blache will walk 8 in the box and bring a lot of heat, leaving the Corners to cover until the cavalry (hopefully) forces LBM to ditch the ball. Key is covering the leaking RB who chip/releases...pokes were effective with this technique. We need to do better making sure the blocking RB does not go uncovered for the dump off.

Offense: More work for Kelly (5 catches, 85 yds and a TD), with above avg number of quick hitting 4 wide set plays and an occasional 5 wide(empty backfield). Force the Giants to cover and account for more receivers. Instead of play action, I look for "pass action" draws to counter the Giants rush.

Campbell needs to make plays with his mind(recognition/checking through reads well) and feet(duck, reset, throw as well as getting upfield when its there) to win this game...I think he can.

This is a very big game..Redskins need to go 1/2 over the next two weeks, and Balmore is no joke. Much better obviously to beat the Gints, not so much for the division(its really a long shot at this point) but rather to hold serve in the NFC. Need to avoid conference loss. And if the Division is gonna come into play, our division foes are gonna have to beat the Giants as well, which puts conference tiebreaker pressure on the Redskins.

Wish I was in town for this one....but I'll be at the bar bright and early with the guy who wears the # 21 75 year anniversary jersey. We were YOGO last week for the Hawks game.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | November 28, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Zorn has the problem of needing to get every possible win to make the playoffs so he can't afford to rest Portis, but I sure wish he could since I have him on a fantasy team and will really need him if I make it to my league championship game week 16!

Posted by: mjcashen | November 28, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Who cares. Giants shut him down last time and will do again.

Posted by: loux24 | November 28, 2008 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Please don't get like Leonsis with his "undisclosed injury" crap.

Posted by: MKadyman | November 28, 2008 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Portis will play in this one. Fletcher and Carter will play as well. Every team has players that are injured. This is the push for the playoffs and you have to have your best players on the field hurt or not. I also think the Redskins will win this game big. They will put eight in the box and stop the run. Manning will not have his best wr on the field and he will force the ball. They have the corners that can play man to man. The Giants also have a small defensive line and they should run it right at them. If they blitz screen to Cooley and Sellers all day long. This is a game the Redskins will win at home.

Posted by: bigjofc | November 28, 2008 11:03 PM | Report abuse