Zorn shares 'fond, fond memories' of Michael

Redskins coaches have always had a unique relationship with George Michael and Jim Zorn is no exception. He visited Michael on Wednesday at Sibley Hospital and spoke about their conversation today at Redskins Park. Dan Steinberg has the full rundown at the D.C. Sports Bog.

"I got to hold his hand," Zorn said. "I got to talk with him about football. I got to talk with him about what he has meant to me. I got to pray with him....I got to yell at him, because he's always yelled at me. But I have fond, fond memories. You know, he was a real legend in my history, having The George Michael Sports Machine. I really loved the relationship that I had with him here, I have a lot of respect for him, and I absolutely loved working with him last year on the TV program that we did together with he and Sonny. Because I just sat back and watched, and it was like two brothers fighting with each other during the breaks. It was hilarious.

By Cindy Boren  |  December 24, 2009; 2:53 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Haynesworth's frustration is no surprise
Next: Kelly is likely to start against Cowboys

Comments

George Michael loved wrastlin', and the rodeo.

Can't say I relate, but what the heck?

-RIP-

Posted by: Chia_Pet | December 24, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Funny, growing up I thought the "wrastling" was real and the Rodeo was fake!!!

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | December 24, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Jim zorn is a class act till the end. With everything swirling around him he takes the time and effort to visit a guy who he had a pretty short relationship with. That could not have been easy. I'm sure there are guys who have known George longer and better who didn't go to these lengths. Good for zorn.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | December 24, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

zorn is amazing, and that more than anything else is why this year's fall is so sad. Qualified for the job or not, everyone let him down, not the other way around.

Posted by: Terrierag | December 24, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse
Jim Zorn's great character is why I still support him as the Redskins head coach. He is the type of man that doesn't lead by manipulating his players via threats or hype, but instead he leads by example and by caring for those around him.

Has he been a perfect coach? No. Is he smart enough to learn from his mistakes? Absolutely. If Bruce Allen and Dan Snyder would work with Zorn, give him the players he wants and two or three more years, I believe the Redskins would do great things.

I will miss George Michael; he was a great sports reporter.

Posted by: SkinsFan2111 | December 24, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

RIP George Michael. You are one of the best at your profession. You will be missed.

Posted by: redskinssince96 | December 24, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

I'm a die hard Skins fan, dislike Snyder immensely and think Zorn is over his head. However, Zorn is a class act. God Bless George Michael. Good luck in the future Jim Zorn. Snyder, being despised throughout life and after death is a sad commentary. I wouldn't trade anything to be Snyder, a hated man in his own hometown. Grow up Snyder and give the keys to a great franchise to Allen and the new coach...go away and peeople won't hate you.

Posted by: c_e_daniel | December 24, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

I will miss George Michael for sure. I grew up watching him. I agree that Jim Zorn is without a doubt, a good person and didnt have to go see him in the Hospital with everything going on with the team and his job. Hats off the Zorn and RIP GM.

Posted by: brent4a | December 24, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

red-skin

–noun Slang: Often Disparaging and Offensive.
a North American Indian.

red·skin
n. Offensive Slang
Used as a disparaging term for a Native American.

Posted by: B2O2 | December 24, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

To think about all the things that must be running through Jim Zorn's mind during Dallas week and beyond, he has the class and thoughtfulness to make a hospital visit
to an aquaintance he only recently met. That's the mark of a pro and a class act. I hope Bruce gives him a shot at next year. And I hope all the players have taken note: It's not about me me me. It's a team thing. Beat Dallas; this is our Super Bowl!!!!

Posted by: DeployedFan | December 25, 2009 12:55 AM | Report abuse