Zorn: Springs Likely to Play

Jason Reid reports:

Although cornerback Shawn Springs sat out practice again today because of a lingering calf injury, Redskins Coach Jim Zorn expressed hope Springs would play Sunday against the Baltimore Ravens.

"I think Springs will end up going," Zorn said after practice at Redskins Park. "We're trying to rest him, but with Shawn, he will go out and test it.

"He has to explode in so many directions at a split second, he's veteran enough to say, 'You know what? I can't do this.' That's what I'm going to wait to hear. And if he can, I believe he will."

Springs has sat out five games because of his calf injury, which he aggravated in Sunday's 23-7 loss to the New York Giants. The 12-year veteran also missed the season-opening loss to New York at Giants Stadium because of a shin injury.

By Cindy Boren  |  December 4, 2008; 3:30 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: This Week: the View from B'more
Next: Portis' Neck Still Stiff

Comments

repost

The disappointment for the actual team not making the playoffs this year will not be as much as the disappointment for the chance for Portis to win an MVP/rushing title.

Posted by: periculum | December 4, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Why is it that, when we're 6-2 it's "WE'RE GOING TO TAMPA!!" and now that we've hit a mini-slump, it's "This team isn't goin anywhere/we suck/someone give me some cyanide"

This is not staying medium people. Medium-manic perhaps.

I know we've got some things to address. But chill out. ZMan will have them ready to play this week. We beat Ravens, we're going to the playoffs.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 4, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 4, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Well, all you had to do was write down a number. And you wrote.....Threeve.... A combination of three and five

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 4, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

From the Times:

Six of the 11 players (10 starters) who sat out Wednesday's practice are working on the field now. The list includes guards Pete Kendall and Randy Thomas, defensive linemen Andre Carter, Kedric Golston and Cornelius Griffin and reserve linebacker Alfred Fincher.

Offensive tackle Chris Samuels participated in calisthenics but doesn't have a helmet so he's not practicing. Running back Clinton Portis and cornerback Shawn Springs are watching again. Linebackers London Fletcher and Marcus Washington aren't on the field at all. Neither is cornerback Fred Smoot, who was excused for personal reasons

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 4, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I disagree with all comments about low expectations for this year. You don't return all the starters from a playoff team and lower expectations. Especially after the team that finished 2007 was so much better than the team that started 2007.

Add Jason Taylor to the mix (though we all know what happened) ... and this team looks to be thinking about a serious playoff run.

If it was about low expectations and the future, they should have lost guys like Springs, Jansen, Griffin. Washington and Thrash. I know, hard to do with cap hits.

They should have never traded for Taylor and given up picks.

2008 was not set up for low expectations.

My issue is that they didn't go far enough in getting either a Houshmandzadeh or Boldin, either guy that would have solved a huge problem and allowed this Skins team to make another strong run.

The reason for me wanting to go for it in 2008 ... ? Because its unlikely this team is going to get better in the next few years. Gone will be Fletcher, Springs, Taylor, Griffin, Kendall, Thomas (Randy), Jansen, Washington ... and there are a few others that might not be far behind. That is a lot of holes to fill.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 4, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

___________________

this could present a problem come Sunday.

thanks for the knowledge Greg

HAIL

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 4, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

2 point on the expectations of this year:

(1) I never bought into the "we were supposed to be mediocre" talk. Never. This was a 9-7 playoff team dealing with ridiculous amounts of injury and tumult, and losing games due to some of the most bonehead mistakes imaginable, ones that surely wouldn't be repeated (double timeouts?). We returned every player of consequence, drafted 10 players, and even added to our roster with Jason Taylor. We also had remarkably low turnover on the coaching staff, despite bringing in a new HC and OC. Special Teams, the defense, and the running game remained the same. The only thing that changed was the passing attack - which happened to be the weakest aspect of the team last year. I fully expected at the very least 10 wins out of this group.

(2) Even if you did have low expectations and say "if we get above 8 wins, that's an accomplishment to me", your analysis is flawed. The team proved it's as good as any in the league by beating 1 certain playoff team and another potential playoff team, which were included in a 4 game win streak all against teams that are currently .500 or better. Since then, the team has gotten worse. It's not as if the Redskins started out awful, and slowly built their play up to end up winning 8-9 games. We started out great, then brought our play down to struggle to get to 8-9 wins. The team has regressed, and if it continues on this pace, it is not a good sign going into the offseason.

However, back to point #1, I fully expect to snap out of this slump against the Ravens defense. No joke. The deep shots get converted. WRs start getting separation. The o-line starts plowing the road again (although I don't expect much of an improvement in 1 v 1 pass protection). And we get our first defensive points of the season this weekend. DHall grabs INT #3 for the skins. I'm oddly pumped-up for this game. Almost moreso than I was for the Cowboys or Giants.

Posted by: psps23 | December 4, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 4, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Disagree strongly. Whenever you have a franchise QB/RB and a solid defense, you have a chance. Of the guys you mention, only Fletch, Thomas and Griff are key IMO; Fletch will be here for at least 2 more yrs (I know he's not young but he's a freak)...Thomas will be replaced by Rinehardt I'd guess who, if he's as good as we thought, will improve that spot (let's face it, RT is not what he was before he broke his leg a couple yrs ago), and we have some young talent at DT (Monty, Kedric, Lorenzo).

We def have work to do - we need to draft along both lines, first and foremost - but I don't agree that it's "now or never (read: 5 yrs or more)"

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 4, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

QUESTION?

Say we win out and finish 11-5 but miss the playoffs, is the season a waste or a success?

I know the obvious miss the playoff but is 11-5 a success or failure?

Posted by: GreatOne1 | December 4, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

... 2008 was not set up for low expectations. ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 4, 2008 3:38 PM

Yes it was. Pull the Saunders offense and replace with completely new offense. Pull the head coach and replace with new offensive coordinator. Remove one half of most promising safety combo ever built and re-assemble with no safety with more than 2 years in the league. Do not draft any defensive linemen or find any younger ones in free agency. Add one offensive lineman through the draft and add no one younger in free agency. Go directly to offseason. Do not collect $200.

8-8 meets expectations. 9-7 beats expectations. 10-6 exceeds expectations. If you stay in the same place when everyone else is moving forward, you step back. Still, next year will be better ... and I will have higher (and still reasonable) expectations ... assuming a reload on the lines (and at SLB) ... greater need at DT than DE ... greater need at OT than OG.

Posted by: dcsween | December 4, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

zeep zeep

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 4, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

"he's veteran enough to say, 'You know what? I can't do this.' That's what I'm going to wait to hear. And if he can, I believe he will ""

NO SH*T !!!! Can't wait to move Springs to Free Saftey... he'll be hell the 5-6 games he plays a year.

Posted by: cwprice2 | December 4, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I don't care who ya are ...that's funny rite there now!

Posted by: K88J28 | December 4, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

RE expectations:
"....You don't return all the starters from a playoff team and lower expectations. Especially after the team that finished 2007 was so much better than the team that started 2007...."

Really? Seems to me the team that finished had a different quarterback, the pivot point of the entire system. Ergo, expectations should have been lower.

Posted by: forces | December 4, 2008 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Shawn "China Doll" Springs will become injured if you look at him too hard. It's obvious the guy's body is shot, done, stick a fork in him, he needs to hang it up at the end of the season, this is getting old, one game here, another game weeks or months later, then hurt again I mean come on, same thing for Marcus Washington it's over for these guys. We also need to be looking down the road for a franchise running back to replace Portis, at the pace he's going(this year,last year) I give him 1-2 more seasons and he's done. We HAVE to beat the Ravens this Sunday or the 08 season is toast. If we lose Sunday, the best case scenario of 10-6 will not get us in the playoffs, the NFC South is making sure of that.

Posted by: 72Redskins | December 4, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse

ANything above 8-8 with a rookie coach and a new offensive system is gravy in my book.

Blasphemy you say......but I'm glad they began their youth movement and building through the draft.

Anyhoo....Springs has to be gone after this season.....Hall is looking like a good fit for our system and Rogers needs to be resigned.

Posted by: goosedude | December 5, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse