Zorn, the CIA, the View from P'burgh

Gameday...Time for a fresh thread while we wait for a game that's gonna tell us alot about the Redskins, the AFC and the NFC...

Mike Wise has a column today on the director of the CIA, who happens to be a big Steelers fan...And by CIA, I don't mean this place.

Barry Svrluga spent some time talking to players and coaches about Jim Zorn's style. My favorite quote from that piece comes, surprise, from Greg Blache: "Most guys in that top position, they'll kind of be the last man standing. If a bear charges, they're going to put you in front of the bear. I honestly believe that, having been around Jim and having watched him, if a bear charges, he's going to step between me and the bear."

As for the view from Pittsburgh, it seems that their coaches rate Heath Miller a tad above pass-catching tight ends...like, such as...No. 47 in the maroon and black.

From that story:

It's Miller's own fault. If he weren't so good at blocking, or so willing, he would likely be Tony Gonzalez or Antonio Gates, or even Chris Cooley -- he just would not have been drafted by the Steelers.

"Heath Miller could be whoever he wanted to be if he were a tight end in their offense," Bruce Arians, the Steelers' offensive coordinator, said of the Redskins. "He could be all those guys, because those guys can't block. He can block."

Ron Cook writes about James Farrior, who has this take on Clinton Portis:

Tonight would be a great time for Farrior's best game. There's not much doubt what the Washington Redskins will try to do. "They're going to be feeding the ball to [Clinton] Portis all night," Farrior said.

The NFL's rushing leader.

"He's ran for 944 yards," Farrior said, knowing the figure by heart.

It's nice to think the Steelers will keep Portis from going over 1,000. If they do, their chances of winning will be excellent because they'll force quarterback Jason Campbell to beat them. It's true, Campbell hasn't thrown an interception all season, but he's not the same threat as Portis, who's averaging 118 rushing yards a game and 5 yards a carry, and has scored seven touchdowns.

"He's got all the running back skills, but his best attribute is his vision," Farrior said. "He's able to find the smallest crease and get through it when no one else can. Then, it's off to the races. ...

"We've got to be perfect with our technique and we can't be out of position. We all know that. We welcome the challenge. We love going against the best and seeing how we stack up.".

...

We'll be back a little later this afternoon, blogging, tweeting (RedskinsInsider at Twitter -- a couple of the quieter types up here will be tweeting from FedEx) and doing the mobile text updates. (Text "REDSKINS" to WPOST [97678].)

The Capital Weather Gang predicts a lovely night for fubball, but, just like your mom, advises that you dress in layers.

By Cindy Boren  |  November 3, 2008; 7:26 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Monday Night Countdown...
Next: Who Wins Tonight -- and Who Wins Tomorrow?

Comments

12 and a half hours and counting.....

Posted by: rachel216 | November 3, 2008 8:01 AM | Report abuse

Couple things if I may.....

cl, a brisk walk, at a good pace, may get things 'moving'...best of luck.

the NYG/Boys game:

1. The cowboys trade a 1, 3, and whatever else to get Roy Williams, and he doesn't start?? I'm not sure I get that one??

2. Did anyone catch the 'attempt' at tackling Bradshaw that Mike Jenkins pulled on that TD run?? WOW..he wanted to be EVERYWHERE ELSE but on the field making tackles. WOW...I'm sorry but if he's not benched, fined, and ran till he pukes, then Wade has lost that team.

As far as tonight goes, I'm worried. Someone needs to pull a "Blache" and get in Heyer's backside right now.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 3, 2008 8:04 AM | Report abuse

AHH I am so excited about tonight, can hardly wait, it should be a good one.

Posted by: theFreshinAU | November 3, 2008 8:05 AM | Report abuse

alot? alot? Oh, Dauphine!

Posted by: daggar | November 3, 2008 8:07 AM | Report abuse

f the Stillers

CP 26 FTW

Hail!

Posted by: jonthefisherman | November 3, 2008 8:07 AM | Report abuse

Okay, Daggar ... some?...
ChrislarRy, it's too late for labor now....you need to go into your prevent defense ASAP. Then, tomorrow morning, you can go for a long walk or, well, send mrs. larRy out for a long walk (be sure she takes the cellphone!). While she's out, she could pick up some spicy Mexican or Indian food, too. That'll speed things along.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | November 3, 2008 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 3, 2008 8:04 AM | Report abuse

Greg,

At first I thought it was just a wierd camera angle and he really wasn't that close to Bradshaw. Then I saw the replay from another angle and he looked CLOSER than I thought he was. I actually got mad watching that. What a pansy. At least make an attempt.

I'm glad that dude plays for Dallas.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 3, 2008 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Thats not the 1st time I have seen that out of that "so called team" they have not played for Brad J. at all not finishing patterns and blocks. That was 2 games ago Wade has no hand with this team.

but enough about thye ugly!
the Stillers make me a little nervous, The only they want to do is make JC beat them, I just hope we open with some passing hurt befor we try to take the air out of the ball!!

Hail!!

Posted by: mdepo | November 3, 2008 8:45 AM | Report abuse

CL, 50 or 60 cruches should get things going.

Is any player in the NFL more overrated than Marion Barber? I don't think it's just the homer in me talking. He really sucks.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 3, 2008 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, that should be "Crunches"

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 3, 2008 8:47 AM | Report abuse

I found this story amusing....nba coaches are all going to wear Joseph Abboud clothes on the bench....I confess I liked the idea when Mike Nolan did it...just for something different.

Posted by: CindyBoren | November 3, 2008 8:47 AM | Report abuse

The part about tonights game that I'm most nervous about is Heyer. I can see Harrison eating his lunch off the edge. Buges better get his ear right now, about how poor his pass sets are.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 3, 2008 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Heyer will probably get more help from CP or a TE during obvious passing downs.

Posted by: mdepo | November 3, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

which could hurt Jansen

Posted by: mdepo | November 3, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Samuels needs to play, they already said he has no damage in his knee, he needs to take something for the pain and play that is what football players do.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 3, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

I really don't know what to expect for tonight. But here's my guess:

We start slow. I mean REALY slow. No points for us through the first half and we end up being down between 10 & 17 points.

2nd half adjustments and 1st half baiting pay off and we eat up yards in the second half, though not scoring quite as much as we want.

Still in the last 2 minutes we need to score again. Swishy splits the uprights with a minute or so on the clock.

Rogers and the D-backs play 'em tight. Big Ben & crew are unsuccessful in their final drive.

Redskins Win 24-21

phew - I'm ready for a nail biter...

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 3, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

I would love to see Heyer in there at random as a option TE if Samuels plays.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 3, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

DikShuttle - there is no way we are scoring 3 tds tonight, at least not for our 1st 3 scores.

we need our def to give us some short fields in order to win tonight. come on stone hands

Posted by: NFeKPo | November 3, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

I am gonna ball park our score to be between 14-21.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 3, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

No pick-6? No nuthin?

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 3, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

I am thinking the Stillers put 9 in the box at times & we work the edges, as long as someone can get down field we can do better over the top because that is JC's best attribute, the long ball.

Posted by: mdepo | November 3, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Any time Hairball comes down to the box. Go Deeep!

Posted by: alex35332 | November 3, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

How are we expected to work?

GO DAWGS!!!!

Posted by: Gweez | November 3, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

1) lmfao @ Dallas

2) Heath Miller couldn't wash Cooley's jock, gimme a break. Cooley is improving at blocking each month. That kinda pissed me off.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 3, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Anyone see the Truth, wanted to know how that worlds biggest cocktail party turned out? WOOF WOO....WHOOPS!

Posted by: chrislarry | November 3, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe that article about Heath Miller...sure he is a great tight end but considering how good our rushing attack is...you would think Cooley would get some props for his blocking.

Posted by: eselwyn | November 3, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

truth - you recovered from sat yet?

Posted by: NFeKPo | November 3, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

F Heath Miller

Posted by: chrislarry | November 3, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

It's a lazy argument to make, but you hear it all the time from the so-called "experts". Any tight end that catches a lot of passes is automatically assumed to be a poor blocker because the play calls typically don't require them to do it as much. I'd put Heath Miller in the Todd Yoder category - solid ball catcher, but primarily used to block.

Posted by: PatM1 | November 3, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Steelers 14
Skins 21

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 3, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

JM that would make me a happy camper.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 3, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

"NBA rules now require coaches to wear dress shoes, tailored jackets and dress shirts, sport shirts or turtlenecks. (Ties are optional.)"

Apparently pants are optional as well?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 3, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

I would love to see Heyer in there at random as a option TE if Samuels plays.

Posted by: alex35332

No need. That's big boy Alexander's job.

Posted by: psps23 | November 3, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Optional Panties!

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 3, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

This is the type of game where a guy like Betts would be such a factor. Not having him, is a negative, but then having the 'tip-toe burgler' in his place is like a double negative. I'd say give Rock and Sellers his carries. Can't be sneaking up to the line, gotta run it up in there....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 3, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

great news from the Charlotte Notcats front! Sean May has been deactivated and Larry Brown basically called him fat.

lol!

Pistons coming to town tonight! We can go above .500 with a win!

PS We owned the Heat to go 1-1!

It's the year of the Bobcat!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 3, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

yes Beantown, a game like this is made for Big Mike Sellers!

It's a physical game, we are missing our true #2 back, Rock is on special teams so he won't get many carries. Run Big Mike on a quick handoff with Portis going the other way. Then hit Big Mike in the flats, let 'em truck some n00bz!

Hail Big Mike!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 3, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Truth, I'm not asking to cause problems, but how did UGA do this weekend?? Seriously...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 3, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

No to rock getting caries, just cuz my opponent has him starting tonight.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 3, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Greg,

Good call on Betts. I say give em to Sellers although I worry about a guy who isn't really getting reps carrying holding it in such a big game.

I still say skins are forced to pass and thrive doing so.

Skins 24
Pitt 10

Posted by: Gweez | November 3, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

oh yeah and GO DAWGS!!!

Posted by: Gweez | November 3, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

That clock is gonna be runing, I expect this thing to be a lot of ground game

Posted by: alex35332 | November 3, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

I think this is gonna be a physical, oldschool NFL game with D being huge. It's gonna be intense and might have a playoff fell.

Earlier this week I said Skins would lose, now I'm saying

Skins 17
Steelers 13

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 3, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

an addendum : although I said I was picking 17-13, I wouldn't be surprised of Skins came out on all cylinders and pulled off a shocking victory of like 24-7 or 27-13.

Football has been strange this year so I wouldn't put it past our guys!

and yes, we should run Big Mike!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 3, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

The problem with running big mike is that big mike can no longer block for himself.

Posted by: Pleepleus | November 3, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

That Pittsburgh Post article makes me happy because it clearly shows that the Steelers aren't watching film of our offense! For anyone to say that Chris Cooley can't block is absurd.

Today, I finally can understand what those MNF commercials are talking about!

Posted by: JMSinCHeights | November 3, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

If anyone could block for himself, it would be Mike Sellars.

Since we're in prediction mode, I predict Devin Thomas gets his first TD tonight.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 3, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

O_E I like the sound of 11 getting 6

Posted by: alex35332 | November 3, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

I agree. If Moss isn't playing he will def get his first. If Moss is playing he still may get it. His routes have looked much better compared to the begining of the season. I think he doens't get the ball his way much because Campbell is a safe QB he isn't as familiar and doens't have the trust with Thomas yet. If Thomas is put in a starting role he will be foreced to look his way.

Posted by: Pleepleus | November 3, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I saw on ESPN this morning that Jaworski said Jason Campbell is "the MVP of the league so far."

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 3, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Btw, no vinny show today

Posted by: alex35332 | November 3, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Beantown Greg; You know you're wrong asking about them Dawgs LMAO!! Tonite keeping Jason upright will be key,set up the run with the pass,Cooley/Davis tight end screen might mute the Steelers pass rush.Blache has to get pressure on BenRoth to force some turnovers,and we need to put a hat on Hines Ward(know what i mean?)if only #21 were here!PLAY HARD FOR SEAN#21 GO DC11.Lets go JASON CAMPBELL!!.

Posted by: dargregmag | November 3, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

I think someone needs to make sure the O-Line and Cooley see that statement about Cooley "can't block", I have a feeling Cooley and the line would take a bit personally, don't you guys?

Posted by: craig2 | November 3, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Ok so Who is in for tonight and who is out? I know Samuels is a game time decision but what about Tana Man?

Posted by: Hail2theChief | November 3, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

I think it would be more insulting to him to see that part claiming Heath Miller would be Gonzo or Cooley if he didn't have to sit in and block. The dude is the least athletic man on earth. Wake up.

Posted by: Pleepleus | November 3, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Cooley has to be in to block a remarkable amount of the time. He also is game planned against and double covered in many cases. Heath Miller is a total after thought just like the rest of the losers on that team.

Posted by: Pleepleus | November 3, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

No word yet on Moss...figure he'll be game-time, too. At this point, they're all game-time...we'll get you the inactives as soon as they cross our doorstep.

Posted by: CindyBoren | November 3, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Mr Redskin21,

Glad to see him getting some attention dont agree as the MVP of the league definatly having a fantastic year and hopefully a "pro bowl" year but you can't take anything from Portis that man is a beast and should be a lock in for MVP right now if Cambell can pull the redskins deep into the postseason and continue to not turn the ball over then he is definatly a candidate as well. Looking forward to a good hard nosed football game tonight skins win 13-9

Posted by: drkeller1 | November 3, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

kind of slow today....

As much as I don't want this to happen, if I'm Zorn, I might sit both Moss, and Samuels for this game. Give Chris 3 weeks off including the bye, and give Tana 2 weeks off. Can't afford to lose either guy...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 3, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Guys, guys, guys... let's not rule out Portis and Campbell sharing the league MVP award.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 3, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

I think JC is having a great year. However, CP is the MVP at this point.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 3, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

"kind of slow today....

Posted by: BeantownGreg"

that's what I want myself

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 3, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I think if Chris or Moss can't go you sit all the walking wounded. Said that for a week

Posted by: Gweez | November 3, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Peter King showing the 'Skins some love this morning:

Who I Like Tonight, and I Mean Tony Kornheiser

Washington 23, Pittsburgh 16.

Jason Campbell's last interception was 11 months ago. He threw a pick Dec. 2 against Buffalo in the infamous double-timeout-by-Joe-Gibbs game, then was interception-free against Chicago, then missed the final four games of the season with an injury. And in the first eight games of 2008, he hasn't thrown an interception, and he's lost one fumble. Eight games, one turnover ... while completing 66.1 percent of his throws and leading Washington to a 6-2 record in a new offense. I said before the season this would be Campbell's breakthrough year, and without question it is.

It doesn't hurt that Clinton Portis has had the best five weeks a running back will have this season -- and I don't care how hot any back gets. He's rushed for 121, 145, 129, 175 and 126 yards in the 'Skins' 4-1 run since their upset of Dallas (would we really call that an upset now?), averaging a Jim Brownesque 5.7 yards a clip. This matchup is going to be interesting because the Steelers are allowing only 71.6 rushing yards per game, 2.8 per carry. Solid wall, meet jackhammer. The nation might be watching for the halftime interviews of Berman with Obama and McCain. I'll be watching for Portis with Hampton and Polamalu.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 3, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Dauphine! No!
Say it is not so; you've been Jasno-ized!

"alot, a word, is not!
allot a dot between the a and lot!"
-Sister Mary Elephant

It's like Postum instead of coffee!

Posted by: daggar | November 3, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

also from Peter King :

"My take on this week, and the first half of this NFL season, is this: The good teams, and the pleasant surprises, are the teams that plan for the future while trying to win championships today. The teams I worry about -- Oakland (with a willy-nilly, wasteful-spending approach to free-agency), Dallas (which has gone seven years without drafting a quarterback to develop), Detroit (a constant disconnect between the drafters and the coaches) -- don't have the same sort of profitable farm system developing players teams are going to need over the course of an injury-filled NFL season."

seemed somewhat relevant for us Skins fans....moreso to the negative ones...

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 3, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Wow - don't want PK on our train!! that's not good news...

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 3, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

He picked Washington because a friend of his who is a Steelers fan said every time King picked the Steelers, they would lose.

So he picked against the Steelers for his Steelers friend.........

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 3, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

It's like double-secret probation, with predictable results for Dean Wormer and the rest of the Steel City Gang.

We've got flounder, otter, and d-day.
Lust for Mayhem!

Posted by: daggar | November 3, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Truth did Peter King comment on the pasting the Gators laid on the Dawgs?

Posted by: chrislarry | November 3, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

What the hell does he mean by farm system

Posted by: alex35332 | November 3, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

anyone know the status of Woodley for tonights game?

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 3, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Who let the dogs out

WOOF WOOF

The gators let the dawgs out and then shot them

HA HA

Posted by: GreatOne1 | November 3, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

BEEPS

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 3, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

"What the hell does he mean by farm system

Posted by: alex35332"

that's just a phrase....

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 3, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

This is the game that shows everyone who the Skins really are. There is no way that the Skins look past the stillers. After the last three weeks, the Skins know that they are playing a good team and will be focused. These are high character guys and will bring their A game tonight!

With this game being televised nationally, and based on how they did last time on national television the Skins will be ready to play tonight.

If we come out flat and/or get "blowed" out, the Skins will be fighting for the last W/C spot. If the Skins win this game, we will be playing for the Division.

Skins win 24-16.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 3, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Truth,

Mother Goose and Grimm has a story line on UGA, starting 10/27/08.

Posted by: Markin21132 | November 3, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

kind of slow today....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 3, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse
I tend to agree, but I'm nervous about Heyer against this D. I would prefer to play Samuels, who adds much better run blocking and better pass protection than Heyer can. But I would definitely sit SM, and put Devin Thomas in. Let's see how much DT has progressed. He certainly gives us a deep threat that Stillers would need to respect. That would open up other under-routes. And SM would be rested to play the Girls.

Posted by: frediefritz | November 3, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I live in Western MD and there are WAY too many overconfident Steeler fans out here. Please, please, please Redskins pull this off!

Posted by: btwigg | November 3, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse