Zorn: 'We're Further Ahead' This Year

After the Redskins' last organized team activity of the month, Coach Jim Zorn praised the work of starting quarterback Jason Campbell and expressed satisfaction with the progress shown this week.

"We kind of slowed things down and then we worked on technique, coming in and out of breaks, how to get your weight over your body, just real fundamental things instead of just running a bunch of plays," Zorn said. "I think the thing that we did have this year over the last year was the majority of the guys knew what to do both offensively, defensively and special teams. We're further ahead."

On the heels a tumultuous offseason for Campbell in which the Redskins looked to trade for Jay Cutler, then sought to move up in the draft to select former Southern Cal quarterback Mark Sanchez, Zorn applauded the quarterback's performance in the sessions.

"I really liked the position that Jason's getting himself in," Zorn said. "He's making much better decisions because he kind of knows the offense now he's not just learning the offense. And then we're putting him through the paces of working on his release, getting those releases efficient, as quick as we can get that ball out he's getting it out. And he was very accurate this week. Pretty impressive with some of the things he did. With ball speed and accuracy, you can't put a premium on that. And he was good."

The Redskins will not practice until the next round of organized team activities, scheduled for June 1-4 and June 8-11.

...

Wide receiver Devin Thomas, who tweaked his right hamstring a bit on the first day of minicamp last Friday, said on his blog that the hammy is now "100 percent."

By Paul Tenorio  |  May 7, 2009; 1:42 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Horton Works to Build on His Rookie Success
Next: Haynesworth Impresses

Comments

can we now permanently refer to Zorn as the "make-out king"

Posted by: SkinsInSichuan | May 7, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Glad Zorn is impressed with JC. Because no one above Zorn is ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 7, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Out:

Baltimore; Carolina; New York; Minnesota; Philly; Indianoplace

In:

New England, Dallas, Chicago, Washington, New Orleans, Houston

I can't bring myself to put Jacksonville or Buffalo in. They never fail to underperform.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 7, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Glad Zorn is impressed with JC. Because no one above Zorn is ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 7, 2009 2:13 PM

That is so wrong. You can bet that both Cnyder and Serrato are hoping that Campbell will have an All Pro year.

Two weeks ago you would have been right. But, not now.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 7, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

We will be better this year than last. This much is guaranteed. Be positive peoples.

Posted by: FedorEm | May 7, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

That is so wrong. You can bet that(NOT Snyder) Cerrato are hoping that Campbell will have an All Pro year.

Two weeks ago you would have been right. But, not now.

I think that all along Cerrato wanted to continue with Campbell and Zorn as a matched pair. He matched them remember? I sincerely doubt that he nor most of his staff were very happy when the owner decided to undermine Campbell.

Cerrato isn't the best football man around but he is a football man, while Snyder definitely is not.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 7, 2009

Posted by: periculum | May 7, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Glad Zorny is focusing on his "Release" speed.. Thats where JC got eaten alive.. Slow to Read and Release..but he patted the ball well on 3rd and long.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | May 7, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Out:

Baltimore; Carolina; New York; Minnesota; Philly; Indianoplace

In:

New England, Dallas, Chicago, Washington, New Orleans, Houston

Posted by: talent_evaluator

----------------------

I'd like to amend my earlier post, totally forgot that New England is getting all-world model Tom Brady back. They're hitting the playoffs. Drop out Jax from my earlier prediction.

So...

Out: Baltimore, Tennessee, Miami, New York, Philly, Atlanta

In: New England, Buffalo, Houston, Dallas, Washington, New Orleans

Had to ride your coattails there, TE.

Posted by: psps23 | May 7, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum | May 7, 2009 2:28 PM

So what would you call Snyder? A business man? That's exactly why he wants Campbell to have an All Pro year. He owns Campbell and he wants to maximize the value of his assets. He doesn't want to cut off his nose to spite his face like too many of the posters up here.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 7, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Zorn says he is working on Campbell's release.
Either Zorn is over coaching or Campbell doesn't know how to throw a football.
I think he knows how to throw it.

Posted by: jmy999 | May 7, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Someone is gonna bark at me for this, but I wonder aloud if maybe Jansen, Rabach, or Edwin Williams could handle the long snapper position. I know Ethan Albright is one of the best in the game, but seriously-- I'd much rather have a roster spot open for someone who could also be plugged into the offensive line in a pinch. Can Albright do that too? I like him and all, but I'd rather keep us stacked on the O-Line, especially if guys like the 2 Williams, Bridges, and border guys like Devin Clark and these Maryland O-guys shine.

Anyone with me?

Posted by: TDawg1 | May 7, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Now JC's trade value has jumped to a 1st rounder.. And Snyder will get nothing for him at the end of the season.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | May 7, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

I call Snyder a crazy silly boy with who got lucky and got rich.

Posted by: alex35332 | May 7, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TDawg1 | May 7, 2009 2:39 PM

My own guess is that if any of them could do it, then they would already be doing it. It's sort of like wishing that one of them could take over the punting duties. Sort of, but not exactly.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 7, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

"Will Snyder trade JC to that team for a draft pick package to move up to Tebow, Bradford or McCoy in 2010??

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM"

Posted by: psps23 | May 7, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I call Snyder a crazy silly boy with who got lucky and got rich.

Posted by: alex35332 | May 7, 2009 2:41 PM

I wonder what he would call you, assuming he knew you enough to call you anything.

Probably was some luck in his success -- as in everyone's -- but I also think that he has some skills and savvy that are beyond most people's. I'd like to see that show "The Apprentice" with Snyder replacing Trump for a season.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 7, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

The six in, six out game:

2008 season: Atlanta; Arizona; Indianapolis; San Diego; Baltimore; Miami; Philly; Minnesota; Tennessee; Carolina; Pittsburgh; and New York (NFC).
_____________

Atlanta: Young team got another year older, incl. five young/mid age returners on O-line. Returns.

Carolina: Wheels falling off. Out.

Indianapolis: Under stress w/new coaches, no Marvin. Defense already shaky. Out.

Tennessee: New D-line. Still Kerry Collins' team, but reloaded at RB. Returns.

Arizona: No one left that wasn't more than adequately replaced. Seattle? SF? Rams? Arizon returns.

Minnesota: Still can't believe they made it. Out, even if Favre joins.

Green Bay: Chicago and Detroit both in major rebuilding. Packers should have made it last year. See Atlanta above. New.

Pittsburgh: See Arizona. Returns.

Baltimore: Ditto re: Arizona (but for loss of Rex Ryan), but on offense, see Atlanta. Returns.

San Diego: Kansas City? Denver? Oakland? Two total rebuilds and Al Davis. Chargers return by default.

New York (NFC): Spagnuolo more important than believed. Burress more important (as coverage liability) than anyone gives him credit for. Out.

Philly: I already have six returners, so they're out.

New Orleans: Grilliams plus Brees' offense? New.

Posted by: dcsween | May 7, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

From the previous thread:

I don't care what position Landry plays.

Blitz Landry > blitzing other safeties.

That's what made him a beast, and I would like to see more of it.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | May 7, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Zorn says, "And then we're putting him through the paces of working on his release... as quick as we can get that ball out he's getting it out. He was very accurate."

And there is where the issue the FO had with Campbell: his release is too slow, not accurate when it isn't.

Accuracy and decision-making can't be taught.

Peyton Manning doesn't throw a ball as pretty and tight and on a line as JC, but it gets to where it's supposed to go faster and to a spot where the wideout can be aggressive and make a play.

Hopefully, JC's knowing the offense better will save a second or two, and his taking a chance now and then will allow whomever our receivers are to make plays.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 7, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

D. Thomas, 100% right after practice ends.....

Posted by: redskinsfanatic1 | May 7, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

TDawg, plugging the long snapper into the O-line in a pinch is an awful painful pinch. O-line is much more amenable to having someone plugged in. Long snapper is not.

Posted by: dcsween | May 7, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

If past performance is an indicator of future performance.. The show would be cancelled for last place ratings.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 7, 2009 2:46 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | May 7, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 7, 2009 2:50 PM

Peyton Manning calls his own plays at the line more than half the time. He's his own offensive coordinator. Apples and oranges.

Posted by: dcsween | May 7, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Anyone with me?

Posted by: TDawg1 | May 7, 2009 2:39 PM |

Nope.

Posted by: CPortisRun | May 7, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | May 7, 2009 2:53 PM

So, you're claiming JC can throw an apple faster than PM can throw an orange long? Or is it the other way around. This is confusing.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 7, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Well said.. JC embraced the "new system" excuse over and over.. Its a great distraction to the real problem he has in his read/release speed. He missed many wr downfield opportunities...and had to dump short which a prevent defense will gladly give up all day (unless red zone). His stats showed this in the 2-6 slide including just 3 passes over 40+ yards for all 16 games.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Accuracy and decision-making can't be taught.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 7, 2009 2:50 PM |

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | May 7, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

From the Skins blog:

Zorn On Malcolm Kelly:

"Malcolm has come on. I think each day he's done a little bit more. So he's showed that he's bursting off the line of scrimmage now. We're keeping him from doing some of the extended routes and things like that, but some of the quicker things, the quick cuts, the little accelerations he's doing, and he's catching a ton of balls. So as he progresses, I think he'll be much more ready for those [June] OTAs like we're hoping. It's looking like he's gonna be that way."

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | May 7, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

"A guy doesn't have to be completely open to be open. Heck, in the NFL, most of the times guys are catching the ball and are totally covered."

Yep, and the caveat in that is that the guy has to be able to make a play if he isn't completely open. I'd have been much harsher on JC if we had guys in there that 'make plays' other than Moss, and he was still reluctant to pull the trigger. But from what I saw, there were only two guys Campbell felt comfortable doing that with (Moss and Cooley).

Hopefully the 2nd year guys step to that next level. Kelly is my big hope, because based on quotes from last season and the very limited plays that he ran, I feel like Campbell is itching to give him that opportunity.

Posted by: psps23 | May 7, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Glad Zorn is impressed with JC. Because no one above Zorn is ...

Posted by: zcezcest1

Never said that the Spaghetti Gang was against Campbell doing well. I'm pretty sure they prefer to be wrong in their opinion of his skills -- as long as he is a Redskin.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 7, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

"There's next to zero shot in H-E-Double-Hockey Sticks that Snyder sabotages his season for a future draft selection. I don't care if Snyder thinks Jason Campbell is the devil. He's got one goal in mind: win now.

Posted by: psps23 | May 7, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse "

Agreed, he does just want to win, I dont think we can deny that, he just has a dur-dur way of thinking how it needs to be done.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | May 7, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

yod, thanks for posting that, good to hear...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 7, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: drischord | May 7, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

dcsween

I posted what I did about Manning as I watched the Titans v Colts replay game over the weekend and noticed that Manning throws a lot of 'ducks': it's what we called ugly passes.

But his passes went to a spot where a guy could make a play.

Jason Campbell throws a tight spiral over the head of a guy, or a deep comeback at 18 yards where the receiver has to reach around his body to make a play on the ball.

Calling plays is indeed one thing.

But throwing a pass to where a NFL receiver can make a play on it and get YAC is another. In the WCO, YAC is better nothing but a running play. And the ball has to be placed to where a guy catches it in stride.

This is where Campbell has to grow for the offense to work right.

Perhaps Campbell should put less 'heat' on the ball and think like a baseball pitcher: sometimes you need a fastball and others a slow change up.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 7, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Apples: Peyton Manning, Brett Favre, Donovan McNabb, Tom Brady.

Oranges: Everybody else with less than five years in the same system.

The apple QBs develop an instinct for what's supposed to be there.

The oranges are trying to "relax" into the change from think it to feel it (with about 900 pounds of defenders approaching the buzzer mark in about two-three seconds). During the time period, the system itself is being tweaked to maximize the QBs strength.

Also, I think Ben Rothlesspelling is approaching apple status. The mouth breather in NYG will never approach his brother's apple status. Too easy to scare and knock off his game (the same reason why Kurt Warner is only approaching apple status so late in his career).

Posted by: dcsween | May 7, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

greg, everyone's on the Thomas train, but I'm starting up the Kelly bandwagon as we speak. I just hope I don't run over his foot or something...

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | May 7, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

MistraMoe, agreed about Manning and the ducks he throws that end up in a receivers' hands for no apparent reason. Same with Favre. Stuff he was throwing in Green Bay (from a position throwing off his front leg ... while looking down ... across his body ...) was sick! Both guys can just feel where the ball is supposed to be ... all they have to be for that to happen is unright and conscious.

JC has the poise not to get skittish after repeated introductions to the turf ... unlike Eli.

Posted by: dcsween | May 7, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Yoder-lay, me too. Of the bandwagons lining up in my caravan, mine goes: Santana - Roydell Williams - ARE - Kelly - Thomas. Maybe switch ARE and Kelly. In James Andrews' scalpel we trust.

Posted by: dcsween | May 7, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Except for his games vs the Ravens and Steelers, the #1 and #2 defensive teams in football, Campbell had a QB rating of 92.

That includes 6 of the remaining 14 games vs top 8 defenses

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 7, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

"Apples: Peyton Manning, Brett Favre, Donovan McNabb, Tom Brady.

"Oranges: Everybody else with less than five years in the same system"

I believe this is discriminatory against the citrus fruits.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 7, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

SkinsNeedaGM - But that's Buffaloe's fault, not Dockery's. Dockery got what he wanted. Just like Smoooot. M-O-N-E-Y.

When he was playing for us, he was great, save for his propensity to false start alot (Yeah Doc, I never forget)....

Wasn't DHall 'waived'? And we picked him up after he passed through the waiver wire, just like we did Doc.

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 7, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Depends. There are plenty of times when the guy catching the ball is open by a couple yards (blown assignments, somebody falls down, the DB is expecting help and it doesn't come). I can't prove it, but I suspect that's where most of the long pass plays come from -- the defense guesses wrong on a play, and pays the price.

Mike Martz used to say that somebody's wide open on every play in his offense, if the QB could only find him.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 7, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

There are not apples or oranges in Major League Baseball. They're all juiced.

Posted by: dcsween | May 7, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

"Good points, in opposite-land.

How many moons on your world?
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya"

lol, talk to me when the government is running a bunch of businesses. You thought the government was bad at being the government? Wait till the government is bad at being a profitable business!

Sure, it's cool headlines and Obama is like the coolest president ever OMG, but in the end we'll be even worse off than Bush had us going.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | May 7, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | May 7, 2009 3:34 PM

Don't you mean "that is where the Skins forgot to put Yoder on the field"?

Posted by: dcsween | May 7, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Anyone with me?

Posted by: TDawg1 | May 7, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

With the injuries in today's NFL, backup O-linemen such as the guys you mention are going to have to play at some point in the season. You don't want your long snapper playing a position because you don't want his hands to get banged up (which happens a lot to linemen), thereby affecting the accuracy of his snaps. So no, I'm not feelin' you on this one.

Posted by: rbpalmer | May 7, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

------------------------------

Truth, where did this come from? What business is the gov. running now? Don't tell me GM because the gov. is NOT running GM. And even if they did, how bad can it be from GM running GM?

I think it's just intellectually lazy to claim that everything the gov. does is bad and everything the private sector does is good.

Posted by: thor2 | May 7, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

short safe passes (only 3 over 40+ yards the whole season and 2 were YAC's) can give you a deceiving rating.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That includes 6 of the remaining 14 games vs top 8 defenses

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 7, 2009 3:22 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | May 7, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Sween, you best be getting on the Fred Davis bandwagon with me because the wheels aren't coming off of that one. I could always use a good shotgun.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 7, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

"Accuracy and decision-making can't be taught"

Au contraire, I think they have to be, at least to some extent. Very few QBs come out of college as accurate as they need to be to excel at the next level. That's more true now that colleges are playing the spread offenses where nobody's close to the receiver and you can just toss it up there.

I can think of only a few QBs who were always accurate, and Troy Aikman is only one who came out of college that way. Of course he spent his first year on his back pulling turf clods out of his face mask, so it didn't make a lot of difference in the outcome.

Brett Favre, for instance, is not a consistently accurate passer. Hasn't hurt his game much over the years.

Most of QB decision-making is repetition, don't you think? Maybe not for Peyton, but for your normal NFL QB. You practice something until you can do it in your sleep. Only then do you start to improvise.

And a good % of this happens in the NFL, not before.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 7, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Dan Snyder is the typical self made rich guy who thinks because he was great at making money, he is smarter the the rest of the world. He doesn't think he needs a GM and can build a championship based on how smart he is. So what if he couldn't even play on the girls team in High School. Just stick to racket ball with the Cerrato in your ass and hire some real football people around you.

Posted by: BarackObama | May 7, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

"Continuity is the secret to success. Everyone in the building knows that except for Snyder. He should thank his lucky stars Cleveland traded the Sanchez pick to the Jets and not to him.

Posted by: drischord"

yet you probably want to fire Cerrato?

Posted by: TheTruth11 | May 7, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Dockery played for a huge payday and then quit on the Bills.. Whats going to change with the Skins?? My original point was that the Skins did not put any money into the Offense..
DHall could be a huge mistake (according to NFL writers).. He was Waived by the Raiders.. And his play last year with the Skins.. was playing for a Contract which he got in the 40 Mil committment range... Would of been nice to of used that money on 2 top tier OL guys.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 7, 2009 3:29 PM

4th.. you must be on meds..
Dockery was WAIVED.. not wanted!! Anyone could of had him.. Below your comment is the Article from the Buffalo newspaper when Dockery was released...

4th Floor wrote:
And how can you discount Doc? Didn't the highest paid LT play in that same line? Point is moot.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

ORCHARD PARK — The Buffalo Bills pretty much admitted to making a colossal free-agent blunder Thursday when they waived left guard Derrick Dockery, who in 2007 received what was then the richest contract in team history.

With the free agency signing period beginning at 12:01 this morning, the Bills can only hope that whatever moves they make turn out better than the Dockery debacle.

Dockery signed a seven-year, $49 million blockbuster, a deal that was thought to be overly lucrative for a player who hadn't even been voted into a Pro Bowl during his first four years in the NFL with Washington.

As it turned out, the skeptics were right.

After a decent 2007 season, Dockery's performance slid noticeably in 2008 and the Bills made the decision on Thursday to eat a $5.4 million salary cap hit (he would have cost $5.85 million had he stayed with the team), which in turn enabled them to avoid paying Dockery a $1.75 million roster bonus due in a few weeks.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | May 7, 2009 2:21 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | May 7, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That includes 6 of the remaining 14 games vs top 8 defenses

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 7, 2009 3:22 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM

I didn't make up the rating system ... and I don't think its deceiving. Excluding those 2 games, Campbell had a 6:1 TD/Int ratio.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 7, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

"Where the traffic really gets thick is in the middle or especially, in the red zone. And that's where the Skins struggled last year.

Posted by: Samson151"

I wouldn't say that. According to one site (http://www.stampedeblue.com/2009/3/7/784916/finding-the-winning-factor), the Redskins ranked 15th in red zone efficiency. Considering where they ended up overall offensively, I'd say that was an actual strength of the offense, relatively speaking. And Campbell was by far the most efficient throwing to the middle of the field, per espn.com (if I recall correctly, two of Moss' TDs came on shallow crossing routes across the middle, another came on a crossing route in the back of the endzone, and both of Randle El's TDs came on routes run over the middle).

The real place where the Redskins seemed to struggle was entering the red zone. Between the opponents 50 and 20 yardline was when Campbell was by far the least efficient, per espn.com. And I believe Zorn said that was the #1 area of struggle for the offense following the season. I'm unsure of what to make of that, but that seems to be a mental area more than anything, where the team feels 'safe' and doesn't want to give up field position.

Posted by: psps23 | May 7, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BarackObama | May 7, 2009 3:44 PM

I don't think this is your real name.

learnedhand, I don't have any real strong feeling either way about the TE position ... except that I hope Cooley stays healthy ... for a long long time.

My Yoder love up here is well-known. And I also think TEs, like safeties, make reliable special teams guys, esp. the ten guys OTHER than the kicker or returner.

I don't get the part about the shot gun.

Posted by: dcsween | May 7, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

GM, which just posted a first quarter loss of 6 billion dollars. What was the point of bailing them out again? Not politicizing this in any way, but they should have been allowed to dissolve........

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 7, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

yet you probably want to fire Cerrato?

Posted by: TheTruth11 | May 7, 2009 3:50 PM

too much continuity at the EVP position.

Posted by: dcsween | May 7, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

4th.. you must be on meds..

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | May 7, 2009 3:51 PM

Went down a little different than this, and someone did want him. Buffalo worked out a trade to Detroit. Then they screwed up the paperwork. Didn't get it into the league office in time and they had to waive him or pay the roster bonus. Dock visited the 'Skins and Detroit and chose the 'Skins, reportedly for a little less money.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 7, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Nevermind the website I posted above, that was a cumulative statistic of the last 5 seasons, not representative of just last season. My mistake on that one.

Posted by: psps23 | May 7, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Back in the old days, stagecoach and wagon drivers were often accompanied by a shotgun toting partner. Certainly you've heard the saying "riding shotgun."

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 7, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Turns out we were 24th in red zone TD percentage. Right around our overall season productions.

Posted by: psps23 | May 7, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

truth

'...but in the end we'll be even worse off than Bush had us going....'

Do you think Obama will invade the wrong country after a terrorist attack?

Do you think Obama will read a document entitled "Bid Laden Determined To Strike the US" by using airliners and decide to head to Chi-town for a month long vacation?

Do you think if Obama--or any other president for that matter--saw a hurricane headed for three weeks across the Gulf of Mexico, he'd need a dvd cut-up of people suffering after the storm to get interested?

And, finally, who'd cut taxes after starting a war where torture would be allowed, and the banks scandolous activities ignored?

Bro', I am a conservative republican and see that Bush spent 8 years driving the country the wrong way down a one way street.

No one could worse than that guy.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 7, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Certainly you've heard the saying "riding shotgun."

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 7, 2009 3:57 PM

So, in that saying, "shotgun" isn't a euphemism for, you know, your "willy wiggler"? Wow. So that's what she meant when she asked me if I wanted to "ride shotgun." I wish I'd known that then.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 7, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

moe, Ray Nagin deserves most of the blame for what happened, in NO....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 7, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Turns out we were 24th in red zone TD percentage.

I bet that's because we don't have the kind of big receivers you can attack the end zone from the 40-20 with.

Even with Gibbs, it seemed the team went into a shell and tried running the ball down a team's throat when it was 30-40 yards out from the end zone.

Hopefully, Zorn will decide to 'chuck' the ball into the end zone more so we kick long field goals less.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 7, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

TE, I'm sure RuPaul would have explained if you'd only asked.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 7, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Riding shotgun. I did not know that. Makes perfect sense. I learned something today. Its almost like ... its almost like my blogging has ... improved me! That's it! I'm hooked!

That said, I still don't see it yet with Fred Davis. Maybe this year will be like Rocky MacIntosh's second year for him. When the game speed slows down ... gets a feel for what's going on around him. Rocky Mac's performance took off dramatically in his second season. Like two different players. Changing from a guy who couldn't beat out Warrick Holdman into a guy who was solid money. Love Rocky Mac. Hope Fred Davis does that.

Posted by: dcsween | May 7, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

"It will be interesting if JC is above average in September and October and another team in contention loses a starting QB or backup QB to injury before the trade deadline.
Will Snyder trade JC to that team for a draft pick package to move up to Tebow, Bradford or McCoy in 2010??"

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM

Kidding right? At least wait until then, and while waiting consider this; what if Campbell have a pro bowl year, would you still exercise you position? Or regardless of the colored QB performance, you just don't want him running your country club?

Posted by: abxinc | May 7, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

dude.. if you play catch at midfield and never take a chance in the red zone.. you could have a 150 QB rating. Gibbs and Saunders made JC INT shell shocked because of his slow release. He never tried to force.. He played safe and suffered in the Red Zone for it because there is no "dump off" short pass available in a compressed Defense.. Another year with Zorn and a faster release could change everything, who knows.. If it can be taught??
Put it another way, there is a reason Snyder couldnt trade him for a 2nd round pick 2 months ago. It may be that most GM's also recognize he does not have the quick release an NFL QB needs for success. Which is what Zorn has admitted they are working on.
++++++++++++++++++

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That includes 6 of the remaining 14 games vs top 8 defenses

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 7, 2009 3:22 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 7, 2009 3:51 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | May 7, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

moe, Ray Nagin deserves most of the blame for what happened, in NO....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 7, 2009 4:05 PM

WTF!?!?! Do we have to go there?

Posted by: dcsween | May 7, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

"Not to get all political on you, but do you think it's possible for the nation to be in situations as bad as Bush allowed it to get in?

Do you think Obama will invade the wrong country after a terrorist attack?

No one could worse than that guy.

Posted by: MistaMoe"

None of that matters. Bush was awful and had us going in a bad direction. Obama looks to be awful and has us going in a situation just as bad, if not worse.

Don't confuse my dislike towards Obama for support for Bush. They're both incompetent....

Posted by: TheTruth11 | May 7, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Thanks LH. I learned something new for the day!

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 7, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

dc, nagin refused to evacuate because he was up for election, and if it turned out that the storm was nothing, he felt it would be detrimental politically. I'm not saying Bush is blameless, but Nagin deserves a large portion of the blame for this.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 7, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

moe, Ray Nagin deserves most of the blame for what happened, in NO....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 7, 2009 4:05 PM

God deserves most of the blame. Or global warming. I'm not really sure.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 7, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

bean

Sure he does.

But the storm hit more than Nawlins. There are some republican governors (Haley Barbour) and mayors to blamed, too.

But they weren't the ones who took money away from re-building the levees--Bush's budget did.

They also weren't the ones who sent La. National Guardsmen to Iraq: guardsmen who should've been evacuating the clueless people who thought a delta clapboard shack of a house could withstand 100 mph winds.

The 5th ranked worse possible disaster according to the Bush NSA was supposedly a major hurricane striking the Gulf Coast, and no matter the local officials failures, the feds were asleep at the switch when it hit and needed to be cleaned up after.

The mess from the storm, btw, is still stinking up the 9th ward and much of the Gulf Coast.

Blame who you want, but when the elected leader fails to lead, well, it's all his fault to me whe multiple things go wrong.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 7, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

abxinc.. It was exactly that.. a "what does Snyder do" scenario of JC having an above average (or ProBowl) year without a Contract.
Regarding your other odd baseless comments.. go seek some much needed therapy.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM

Posted by: abxinc | May 7, 2009 4:06 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | May 7, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Sme thoughts on Portis

The guy is a diva. For the most part, that is a 'so what'. Having a diva on a team can help and hurt. His outburst vs Zorn prior to the Cincy game was the only time I think that hurt the team.

I'm not thrilled with CP's practice habits, but I think he knows his body and what works for him.

He plays very hard and plays very physical. Which means a lot of pounding, running and blocking. I think he should be starting 12-13 games a year, not 16.

He isn't super fast and doesn't make big gains. But I don't see that as a problem. We are a ball control, move the chains, don't make big mistakes, type of team. CP is a good fit for us.

He is usually very good in the 4th quarter. I love that.

He is very good near the goal line. I love that, too.

He can be a dangerous receiver. I don't know if the problem with him not getting more passes is mostly on CP or mostly on the coaches.

He isn't a leader 6 days a week. On Sunday, he can be a leader. Those who expect him to lead 7 days a week are likely to be disappointed.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 7, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I'm out: there's grass to 'cut' and another Yankees loss to absorb.

Go Sawx or Rays!!!!!

(ooooopppps, wrong blogs!)

:))))))))))))))

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 7, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM

No. 1/4 of the rating is TDs. So if you only play it safe in the middle of the field the max rating would around 116.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 7, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

This is how wikipedia recounts the relevant history:

... On August 26 Mayor Nagin advised New Orleanians to keep a close eye on the storm and prepare for evacuation. He made various statements encouraging people to leave without officially calling for an evacuation throughout Saturday the 27th before issuing a call for voluntary evacuation that evening. He stressed the potential danger posed by Katrina by saying "This is not a test. This is the real deal." He was hesitant to order a mandatory evacuation because of concerns about the city's liability for closing hotels and other businesses.[12] Nagin continued to announce that the city attorney was reviewing the information regarding this issue and once he had reviewed the city attorney's opinion he would make a decision whether to give the order to evacuate the city.

On Sunday morning August 28, Katrina became a Category 4 hurricane,[13] and, with fewer than 24 hours left before the storm's landfall, Nagin declared a mandatory evacuation of New Orleans, the first in the city's history, and the first for a U.S. city of this size since the American Civil War. ...

Posted by: dcsween | May 7, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Because you have any inkling whatsoever as to the effects that will occur from anything Obama has done in office so far...

I find it amusing when people speak with absolute confidence about something they in all likelihood no nothing about.

That is unless you have some sort of socio-politico-economic background that gives you credibility to speak with such volition. If that's the case, I'll step right up and beg your forgiveness. Otherwise, I may simply, to use your words, lol at that comment. It's ridiculous that you're prospectively judging on something that's way above your head.

Posted by: psps23 | May 7, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

racism, classism is to be blamed in NOLA. why in the world wouldn't you let people off the bridge is beyond me. WTF were those (police) thinking????????????!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: dealer1 | May 7, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

I thought he was shopped to all teams by his agent.. And if "waived" by a team are you not on the waiver wire for all 31 other teams??
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

4th.. you must be on meds..
Dockery was WAIVED.. not wanted!! Anyone could of had him.. Below is the Article from the Buffalo newspaper when Dockery was released...

As it turned out, the skeptics were right.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | May 7, 2009 3:51 PM
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 7, 2009 3:57 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | May 7, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, fair point about Nagin, Greg, but always keep this in mind;

Other than New York, New Orleans has the most residents per capita without personal transportation; i.e. a car. A lot of people didn't have the means to evacuate.

A month later, when I was in a different circumstance in Houston, and Rita was approaching, my job told me to not come in on Thursday and Friday. I could not afford that. Just couldn't. So I begged them to let me work, and in the end got a weeks worth of work in two days.

The point I'm making is lots of people in New Orleans work subsistence jobs. They were in fear of getting fired or not making the rent if they didn't stay and try to work. Saying this very lightly now; it's easy to say people should have evacuated, but not everyone has an American Express card and an SUV -

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | May 7, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

dc, here is how US News records the events:

Which politician emerged from the mess of Katrina as the biggest bonehead involved? No, it's not Michael Brown, George W. Bush, or even the bumbling Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco.

The clear winner is New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin, who made every conceivable mistake during the crisis. With plenty of warning, he delayed the evacuation order, had no drivers ready to operate the school buses that stood idle, failed to stock the Superdome with food and water, and let the looters rampage without any interference from police. The excuse given for the failure to get buses moving was that the mayor wasn't able to round up enough drivers. One report said most drivers were women and afraid to make the trip. But a competent mayor would have ordered the drivers to report and provided an armed on-board protector for each bus.

Nagin didn't bother. He did, however, record a message on DVD last July announcing, with other civic leaders, that New Orleans couldn't afford to evacuate the 134,000-odd mostly poor and black people known to lack transportation out of the city in case of a hurricane. When the hurricane struck, the DVD, with its hopeless message, "You're on your own," still hadn't been released.

All I'm saying is that to outight blame Bush for this, and say it was all his fault, which I know you didn't do, but to blame him exclusively, is shortsighted, and incorrect.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 7, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Skins signed another receiver and released the spare punter.

Posted by: dcsween | May 7, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

American Express card and an SUV -

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | May 7, 2009 4:24 PM

Well, not today but I thought they did before the financial collapse -- AMEX, SUV, and huge mortgage. Isn't this why the financial system collapsed? Or was it globabl warming?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 7, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

sween isn't that the guy who jumps into the truck?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 7, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Couldn't tell whether that U.S. News & World Report thing was an editorial or an article. Interested to see where Fox News would come out on the question.

Posted by: dcsween | May 7, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

He passed through the waiver wire because no one wanted to pick up his new contract which included an immediate roster bonus. Just like no one wanted to pick up DHall's contract.....

But, you didn't address my point that the dude on that sucky line who played right next to Dockery was traded away for a 1st and signed a $10Mil/year deal and is the highest paid in that position.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 7, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

""Obama looks to be awful and has us going in a situation just as bad, if not worse."

Posted by: psps23"

It's not though. The government becoming involved in business the way it is is bad, it doesn't matter what way you slice it. Obviously this is my opinion, but I don't understand differing points of view.

I thought it was pretty much universally agreed upon that our government is inept and has been for god knows how long. Now people are excited and happy that they are taking over businesses? And it doesn't matter what happens, I'm against the whole stimulus. If capitalism is our way, which apparently it is, we should let companies fail when companies fail. And we think we'll be better off if we give those companies money and possibly let the government handpick people to run those companies? Hrm.

and sure, it's the strawman, blah blah blah.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | May 7, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 7, 2009 4:32 PM |

I think the way it works after your first contract is that when you're waived you're a free agent. No one can claim the contract -- you get to negotiate.

But to say "no one wanted Dockery" is flat out wrong. Also, to hold God blameless in the New Orleans hurricane is wrong. He started it.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 7, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

It's too early to say what direction Obama is taking us.

He is F'ing up big time with ending that school voucher program. Especially since a few kids from that program are in the same school hihs daughters go to. High Hypocrissy is in effect. Ofcourse that's only a local issue that deals with the inner city, so no one of influence really cares......

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 7, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Florio may make fun of Nebraska-Wherever, but they do have good video editors. The new WR, Keith Eloi, is also a kick returner. See the attached for a receiver making lots of catches (but not many yards after catch).

Posted by: dcsween | May 7, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

psps: "According to one site (http://www.stampedeblue.com/2009/3/7/784916/finding-the-winning-factor), the Redskins ranked 15th in red zone efficiency. Considering where they ended up overall offensively, I'd say that was an actual strength of the offense, relatively speaking. And Campbell was by far the most efficient throwing to the middle of the field, per espn.com (if I recall correctly, two of Moss' TDs came on shallow crossing routes across the middle, another came on a crossing route in the back of the endzone, and both of Randle El's TDs came on routes run over the middle)."

That's very interesting, and thanks for posting it. I enjoyed looking at the site and recommend it to others. I did notice that the 15th ranking appears to be for the period 2001-2009 (8 years) rather than for last season. He also provides some raw data for the most recent five years. Am I reading that correctly? Given the Skins' changes, that would greatly change the conclusions vs the 2008 season.

Here's why I thought the Skins had a red zone problem:

1) last season they ranked 28th in TDs, tied with Oakland (ahead of three teams with poor records).

2) They ranked 18th in total FGs. Suisham's 72% was largely based on his struggles outside the 40, however -- he's accurate inside.

3) The Skins ranked 23rd in total scoring in 2008. They were 18th in total yards and 19th in that weird category the NFL calls 'game stats'. That suggests they were controlling the ball better than they were converting to scores.

4) When a team is able to accumulate yards and control the ball yet seems unable to score TDs, I assume that's a red zone problem. Maybe it's farther out, I dunno. Be interesting to check.

Anyway, I'm sure it would be easy to calculate red zone efficiency for '08. Might be illuminating.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 7, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

truth, agreed, failure is part of the capitalist system, so we bailed out GM, and they turned around and posted a 6 billion dollar loss......between GM, and Chrysler, they received something like 50 billion in bailout money, and look how the first quarter went for them.

At least Ford has proposed plans to turn one of their plants into an Electric car plant. How about a little forward thinking from these guys.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 7, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 7, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 7, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Gotta jump in here. I am personally and professionally familiar with the situation as it developed pre, during, and post storm. Lots of blame to go around for the Katrina thing. A) The NWS was recurve into FL centric for WAY too long. B) Louisiana and New Orleans officials were slow to react to developing information pre impact. C) The FEDS deferred to the State and local officials pre and during event and only jumped in until AFTER it was obvious to all that they were overwhelmed by the severity of the event.

As to the comment I snipped above: People staying in a shack etc in the face of Katrina is merely proof of natural selection. The information was readily available to all. Decisions have consequences, and some of those consequences are quite severe.

The last thing I personally want is the government acting as my mother or nanny forcing me to stay, go, get a flu shot, etc etc etc. IF I make bad choices (and I have) I am willing (and I do) live with the results of my choices.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | May 7, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Capitalism does not equal corporatism. M

School vouchers is a remnant of outside interference in home rule. Senator Landrieu is still pushing it. Obama has coin. People with coin send their kids to private schools. Sending kids of parents without coin to private schools -- don't think that's capitalism. Inner city is a code word borrowed from the 60s.

And here I was getting psyched about LaRon Landry and starting to think about tight ends. I'm outta here.

Posted by: dcsween | May 7, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

someone up here said President Obama is incompetent. How and Why?

Posted by: 72Redskins | May 7, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like Thomas has LADWP disease...

lazy a** don't wanna practice

Posted by: daddy00 | May 7, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

devin thomas is lazy and spoiled, he wants fame but its not as easy to be the man in the nfl as it was in college, so he'd rather underachieve than get to work like a mature professional

Posted by: scottmando | May 7, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Do you think Obama will invade the wrong country after a terrorist attack?

No one could worse than that guy.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 7, 2009 4:01 PM"

Hey Moe!

Generally I try to avoid the political discussion as if it were a gal who didn't have what it took make the cut BEFORE last call.

However, I recommend you wacth a little film called, "Maxed Out: Hard Times, Easy Credit and the Era of Predatory Lenders".

It's a really good summary of what is wrong with our economy, why, and how long it's been going on. This really hit it's stride between Nixon/Ford and the Carter administration.

EVERY prez since has only exaccerbated an existing economic wound by using blue smoke and mirriors to make things look better artifically, on paper, or through outright fraud.

Our nation became a debtor nation (owing more in interest payments to foreign interests than we take in from them) for the first time since World War I.

So blaming the last guy to drive the truck for the flat tire, does not excuse the guys on all the previous shifts who just kept just putting air in to the slow leak instead of repairing or replacing it.

Now back to this arena, Campbell has his chance this season.

He's got a full season as a starter under his belt, the same system two years running, he has the same line (or even slightly better) than Brunell or Collins had to work with.

He either earns his keep, or he moves on. He knows this is the case now, after all the off-season attempts to acquire new QBs. No bias, no emotion, no anything else. It's fair. I hope he goes 20-0. 'Cause that's another trophy & another ring, folks.

Go 'Skins!