Zorn's Pivotal Season Starts Today

Jim Zorn would read that headline, if he did such things, and say that every NFL season is pivotal. If there's special pressure on him this season, he tells Barry Svrluga he isn't feeling it. "In this league, you always have to win," Zorn told a staff member, Svrluga writes. "And we are not going to, as a staff, make stupid decisions based on, 'Oh, my gosh, we've got to win.' "

So Zorn is approaching the season, pivotal or not, in his own unique way.

Almost daily throughout training camp and on into practices to prepare for the Giants, [Daniel] Snyder and [Vinny] Cerrato watched workouts together, seated in a row of stadium-style seats planted on the 50-yard line of whichever practice field the team used. Occasionally, Zorn would speak at length with them before or after the session. Wednesday afternoon, as the players filtered off the field, he did the same, a 10-minute conversation with the men who will determine how long he holds his job. That, of course, can't be the topic, because with 16 games to play, it does not yet matter.
"We've said, 'Hey, Dan decides,' " [Sherman] Smith said. "We're going to put the pressure on Dan. He's going to have to make the decision. We don't feel any pressure. It's going to be on him."
After Zorn left the field, he walked up to his office. In the lobby outside hangs a mirror affixed behind four spears. Zorn made the piece himself, ordering the spears from a Navajo in Arizona, painting parts of it in Redskins colors. He has further plans for it, too. "If we are lucky enough to experience winning," he said, he will take from his office one of [Greg] Blache's turkey feathers and hang it on the mirror.
"Each one," he said, "represents a kill."
How many will hang there by the end of the season? Five? Eight? Ten? Twelve?

By Cindy Boren  |  September 13, 2009; 9:10 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Sunday Morning Reading List
Next: Expect to See Rogers Start, Jarmon on Active List

Comments

Bah Im so excited...FIRST

Posted by: dfresh58 | September 13, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Cindy I love your post because your perspective seems to be of a tad bit more eccentric then your counterparts. But why does it seem like I am left "waiting for something" after your posts? They just seem to end and I feel like there should be more there. I could be mistaken.

Posted by: overzealous08 | September 13, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

...and I say 10 btw

Posted by: overzealous08 | September 13, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

...and I say 10 feathers btw

Posted by: overzealous08 | September 13, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: overzealous08 | September 13, 2009 10:09 AM

Dude, Cindy's a teaser. You're supposed to click through to the entire article that she linked to. She's playing with you.

and

beep beep

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 13, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

If I was Snyder and lucky enough to win a Super Bowl, I would charge full ticket price to have people to line up to kiss my azz.

Snyder has never given any indication that he would fire Zorn.

Can we play a regular season game first!

Posted by: rickyroge | September 13, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

rickyroge: snyder doesn't necessarily even wait until the end of the season to fire a coach, so it isn't premature to talk about Zorn being axed. I think it would be a big mistake even if he did have a setback this season. look how long its taken Cerrato to figure out how to build a team. nobody fired him.

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | September 13, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse