Zorn's Place in History (Yes, It's Early)

Jim Zorn, with a win Sunday, would accomplish something we haven't seen a whole lot of the past few years - a four-game winning streak. The fact that he would do it in his first five games in the NFL, well, that would be fairly rare as well.

The last time around -- Joe Gibbs 2.0 -- it took the Hall of Famer 27 games before he began his first four-game winning streak (the final four games of 2005). The Redskins did not win that many games in succession again until the final four games of 2007.

Steve Spurrier (2002-2003) never won four in a row (not that I had to tell you guys that). Marty Schottenheimer (2001) won five in a row after losing his first 5 in row. Norv Turner (1994-2000) required 33 games before he began his first four-game win streak. Richie Petitbone (1993) never won four in a row.

So now we're back to Gibbs 1.0 (1981-1992). He needed seven games (with that 0-5 start) before reeling off four in a row. Gibbs's predecessor, Jack Pardee (1978-1980), won his first six games. So that's how far we'd have to go back to find someone have this sort of start as Skins coach. Of course, that's assuming Zorn and the Skins win Sunday.

Should we take it back to George Allen (1971-1977)? Well, the legend won his first five games with the Redskins. Bill Austin never did it, Vince Lombardi didn't do it in his lone season running the team, Otto Graham never did it, nor did Bill McPeak or Mike Nixon, which takes us back to 1959, which seems like a fair enough place to stop.

By Jason La Canfora  |  October 1, 2008; 4:30 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Zorn Gives Injury Update
Next: Will JC Get Paid? Or ... When Will JC Get Paid?

Comments

As much as we hated on brooks/frost, their punting gave ARE over 10 yrd return everytime. I repeat ARE had 10.3 average yards returning punts.

Posted by: NFeKPo | October 1, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

ARE may have ended up with a 10.3 average, but that was only because he did get 20+ on 1 return.

The other returns were the all too familiar....lateral electric slide step, then duck.

Posted by: ksquare | October 1, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ksquare | October 1, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

2nd!

Posted by: redskins91 | October 1, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

3rd straight win last Sunday.

Posted by: 4-12 | October 1, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

4th in a row this Sunday?

Posted by: 4-12 | October 1, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

5th of tequila to celebrate if they win!

Posted by: 4-12 | October 1, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the Jinx

Posted by: What_Would_Dalton_Do | October 1, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

6th new thread today?

Posted by: 4-12 | October 1, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

6 beers before kickoff..get the mood right.

Posted by: ksquare | October 1, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Football news:
Anquan Boldin has a fractured sinus membrane.

I didnt know you could fracture your sinuses

Posted by: GreatOne1 | October 1, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Yowza. what page on the stats almanac did you have to go to to go that far back?!

thx JlaC!

HAIL!

The AMAZING

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 1, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

By which I really meant to say, panties!

Posted by: 4-12 | October 1, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

GreatOne - that really angered me waiting for the Game on Sunday. 1) Those two guys should be thrown out of the NFL. 2) Fox should be fined for staying on the game to see if there would be any carnage.

The whole thing made my stomach turn.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 1, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

I agree that they stay with the injuries too long, didnt they used to go to commercial if the injury was longer than like 10seconds.

Posted by: GreatOne1 | October 1, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

That & leaving the game on for the retaliation hit... despicable.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 1, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Going to be in Savanah Georgia for a good month doing a job. I think I can get away with being able to see the Eagles down there this week. But with Rams Browns and the Lions coming up i doubt they will air the games. Anyone know a good bar to go watch the games.

Hail!!

Posted by: outlaw27 | October 1, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Football news:
Anquan Boldin has a fractured sinus membrane.

I didnt know you could fracture your sinuses

Posted by: GreatOne1 | October 1, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse
=============

See: Bryan Barker. Wait, don't see that. It was gross.

Posted by: jesuisunpizza | October 1, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Ouch on the membrane...
Jinx, okay, now you've done it Jason.
You couldn't wait could you.

But maybe the jinx won't work, because you're not a fan.

Posted by: Stumped1 | October 1, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Maybe I shouldn't say this...

But, Zorn is breaking patterns all over the place, here's one to be researched properly(Cindy--'wink-wink', I wasn't able to easily come up with this data, maybe your staff can?), we don't win many games with Troy Aikman doing commentary. I think we won only once under Gibbs with Aikman as the color guy. Busted that last week, now it's time to bust some more Coach Z!

Posted by: craig2 | October 1, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Maybe I shouldn't say this...

Posted by: craig2 | October 1, 2008 5:57 PM

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Posted by: skinswest | October 1, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse

LOL

Posted by: craig2 | October 1, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Im as supersticious as the next guy but this game has nothing to do with jinxes. Its all gonna be about the lines. If our O-line can pick up their blitzes and our D-line can stuff the run and get in McNabbs face well be fine. Our corners are playing well so unless McnAbb has all day to pass should be another good day for Blachs and the D.

Posted by: Chrisphilippsen | October 1, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse

I was watching TV and listening to Sam and Sonny. When I saw Acheman up there after the game (looking all disillusioned), I almost cut S&S to hear what Aikman had to say, but S&S were having too much fun, I had to stay wit it....

Posted by: Stumped1 | October 1, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse

As long as Jason Campbell doesn't revert to his earlier form, Zorn will do well.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | October 1, 2008 6:26 PM | Report abuse

No offense to the Post but the sports story headline "Less Motion, More Ball Movement" reminds me of the crap I had to listen to from my ex-wife...

Posted by: GintheAtl | October 1, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Any bar on the river in Savannah is great.

As most of hated the off season and the opening night loss. I found Zorn very down to earth in all his interviews. I didn't like him because he was Vinnies guy, now he is becoming our guy.

Posted by: bobmilldevils | October 1, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

I was comparing stats (PHI and WAS). It all looks pretty evenly matched. I guess that's why we play the game. Maybe a slight advantage to the Iggles.

Based on strength of schedule:
WAS
L NYG
W NO
W ARI
W DAL

PHI
W STL
L DAL
W PIT
L CHI

What do you think? I say we beat Dallas and played NY close, right out of the gate.

Beating Pittsburgh doesn't impress me...neither does losing to Chicago.

Posted by: Stumped1 | October 1, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

So, if Byron doesn't think his brother Brian will play on Sunday why is NESPN reporting that Brian probably will.

Who's blowing smoke here? Andy Reid telling NESPN Brian will play or Brian telling his brother that he won't play?

This is better than The Days of Our Lives or WWE.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 1, 2008 7:11 PM | Report abuse

The Skins are in for another tough game on Sunday. It appears that the offense is coming around, but taking the glass half-empty approach, you have to be concerned that they're going to lay an egg at some point this season. No QB has gone an entire season without an INT and the one pass that went through 'Tana's hands, had me believing that would be Campbell's first. I'm off my pedestal though... Go Skins... I hope they give the Eagles the bizness.

Posted by: JinxMan | October 1, 2008 7:21 PM | Report abuse

I know we're not supposed to bash our revered elders, but why isn't anyone talking about how senile Sonny and Sam were on Sunday. They got every call wrong, couldn't remember the score or other stats and frequently went off on nonsensical meanderings. I love them for the past, but they are officially AWFUL in the booth.

Posted by: boozyb | October 1, 2008 7:36 PM | Report abuse

WESTBROOK RETURNS TO PRACTICE
Posted by Mike Florio on October 1, 2008, 5:10 p.m. EDT

Running back Brian Westbrook, who missed practice all of last week and then missed the Eagles’ Sunday nighter at Chicago with an ankle injury, practiced Wednesday on a limited basis.

Also participating on a limited basis were receiver Kevin Curtis (hernia), defensive tackle Dan Klecko (hand), quarterback Donovan McNabb (chest), and cornerback Asante Samuel (chest).

Defensive end Victor Abiamiri (wrist) and guard Shawn Andrews (back) did not practice.

The Eagles host the Redskins this week in a critical two-game standings swing in the NFC East. The Eagles are 2-2 and the Redskins are 3-1.

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 1, 2008 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Stumped, based on opponents played, adv. Skins. I am with you on Pitt and Chi. Not impressive win, and a bad loss. One that the iggles should have won.

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 1, 2008 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Either way poopy, they shouldnt be talking to each other about his injury.

If Brian was lying, then he is using Byron. Then if Byron tells the team, he could be misinforming them.

If Brian isnt lying, then he shouldnt be telling his bro on this weeks opponent.

Either, both should shut it///

Posted by: Zeebs | October 1, 2008 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Westbrook didn't actually practice, he just participated in a walk through. I was his press conference, he said he hopes to be able to practice fully by Friday. But he is questionable, and we need to say all our prayers, or karma thoughts, or voodoo or whatever it is, that he has a minor setback on Friday and doesn't play. The best way to stop that guy is for him to NOT BE ON THE FIELD.

Posted by: craig2 | October 1, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

I remember watching Acheman stumbling over the words in the third (or fourth) quarter, (something like) "The Redskins look really good." Had trouble saying that.

Posted by: cmecyclist | October 1, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

craig2, agreed... much as I want to beat teams when they're at their very best, I'll shed no tears for the Iggles if their Westbrook is inactive for this one. We've got a bunch of guys nicked up as well.

Good gravy, I'm ready for this one already! T-minus four days to go...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 1, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Zorn and the players said they are preparing as if Westbrook will play.

Posted by: Lisa_R | October 1, 2008 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like that's absolutely the right tack this week, Lisa... and my faith in the D coaches and leaders like Fletch has been burgeoned by their success the past three Sundays...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 1, 2008 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Lisa, what's the scuttlebutt in DC this week? What are the local media saying about this game? Are they as worried as I am that we're going to run into trouble in Philly, or are they going all bandwagonesque?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 1, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Three cheers for Travis Henry on his "successful" completion of the Nate Newton Life After the NFL Finishing School.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | October 1, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse

@Lisa_R

Absolutely they're preparing for him, there would be no other sound way of doing things.

No Westbrook doesn't mean it'll be an easy win anyway, that defense is really going, and Johnson is at the top of his aggressive game this thus far, it will be quite a test one way or the other.

Posted by: craig2 | October 1, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse

IMO, we can will win this game in Philly and start our 4-1, after most thought (including me) that we would be lucky to be 2-3 after 5 games. But even if we lose, if at the start of the season some one told us that we could be 1-2 after 3 divisional road games and 3-2 after 5 games, we would have taken that and been happy. Now we (fans, not team) will be disappointed to fall this week. Funny what winning does to expectations!

As some have mentioned, we are playing with house money. Love it!!

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 1, 2008 8:59 PM | Report abuse

I may change my name to 'House Money'.

I haven't seen too much of the chattering nabobs of redskinism this week... you have to discount Monday, as they all wallowed in Sunday's victory.
The JoeTheFans by the water cooler are happy, but no one has that swagger of fans of a team that may just go 15-1...

Posted by: daggar | October 1, 2008 9:08 PM | Report abuse

palin interview with katie

wow just wow! this is soooooooooooooooooooo MTSC territory...

Posted by: dealer1 | October 1, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

yeah...daggar's right...one game at a time

Posted by: dealer1 | October 1, 2008 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Don't know if anyone else notices, but our 3 wins were not these "gee, I can't bear to look at it Joe Gibbs nailbiters". We've been dominating and other teams are playing catch up.

This Eagles game scares me though. The other good news is that we are 3-1 in the conference also. Can you say tiebreakers. I still think we are a 10-6 team. If we win Sunday we could be looking at 11-5. Some of the late season cakewalks look a bit scary now...Baltimore, San Francisco (trap game)...I'd hate to kick NFC azz and lose to the Bangals.

Posted by: rickyroge | October 1, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Thank God we ain't got Al "Mr. Burns" Davis as an owner...so I'll pay $8 for a beer, sit in traffic, and watch a crappy jumbotron...Hail Snyder!!!

Didn't Al Davis invent the football after he came home from the Civil War?

Posted by: rickyroge | October 1, 2008 9:47 PM | Report abuse

hello again everyone, been busy this week...

I came clean on Sunday night regarding what I posted about JC last season and during preseason and after the NYG game.

He's really turning it around nicely, isn't he?

Hey, NFL.com said Dallas -Wash was the game of the week.
Here is the link:

HTTR!

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | October 1, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

The Iggles are on NFL replay if anyone wants some film study.

Buckhalter's no slouch.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | October 1, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

outlaw27

re: sports bar in Savannah.

While I was in school there I went to a decent amount of games at a place called "coach's corner" on Victory blvd., decent enough place...have to deal with some southern-afied Falcon fans but that can be pretty fun. It was the Spurrier years and my fandom was often wanning when school work had to be kicked into high gear for Monday so I didn't live there but I've consumed a pitcher or two or three...or more. After the game drive east on Victory towards Tybee Island and stop at the "crab shack;" you will be greatly rewarded.

Speaking of bars, I just moved to Seattle...anybody have thoughts on bars up here?

Lastly: any fans from St. Petersburg, FL? There was a great bar called Ferg's in that town. What a bar. I watched the 35-0 Giants debacle there and almost cried.

Posted by: OrganicWater | October 1, 2008 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Frazier and Niles Crane might be able to assist you in locating a bar in Seattle, but certainly not a sports bar.

Those two nerds didn't know a SeaHawk from a Mariner or Supersonic!

HTTR!

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | October 1, 2008 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Rewarded with the sight of the freakiest nightmare-inducing restaurant mascot on the face of the planet. Man, those legs still haunt me...

For the 'local' taste, try Sweetwater (ATL) or Terrapin (Athens). The Moon River ain't have bad, though, and is brewed in Savannah.

Still got last weekend's game on the trusty VHS. May have to go re-live the magic!

Posted by: MNSkinsFan | October 1, 2008 10:22 PM | Report abuse

OrganicWater, we have a dude who goes by the name "P Diddy" and is a Seattle longtimer, I think he has previously mentioned the Fox Sports Bar downtown and a place called SPORT Restaurant across the street from the Space Needle... wait, did you mean bar bars, or sports bars? Come to think of it, Diddy could probably steer you to either...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 1, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Also, OrganicWater, you planning to hit the Seahawks-Redskins game the Sunday before Thanksgiving?

Tailgating and night-before Skins fan meet-up opportunities will abound...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 1, 2008 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Zorn's place in history is that he's the second wife and the team is the ex-husband. Gibbs is the first wife of this team -- got 'em ready for the next one.

Posted by: Xlnt | October 1, 2008 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Byron didn't really say anything that couldn't be inferred from available information. Why's everyone up in arms about him making observations about Reid's tightlipped tendencies on injuries and Westbrook's limp last week?

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | October 1, 2008 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Are people up in arms, Karen? I didn't see anything beyond the mild concern voiced in a few comments above... some ado about very little...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 1, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

DOn't kid yourself fellow fans, Westbrook's gonna play. I'd be shocked if he didn't. If he can practice - even if just a walk thru - on Wed, he'll almost certainly play Sunday. That's OK. Give us their best shot, let's see how this emerging unit can handle one of the game's great playmakers. Reggie Bush didn't do much (aside from special teams), I think they will welcome the challenge. That said, it wouldn't devastate me if he needed another week of rest!

HTTR

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 1, 2008 10:56 PM | Report abuse

That's what I mean. Telling people that the two brothers ought to shut their trap and that the injury information could be a trap and all of that. If he gave information that couldn't be easily inferred, I could understand the concern more.

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | October 1, 2008 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Winning on Sunday against the Eagles would almost not be fair. As much as I want the 'Skins to go 15-1, beating Philly and staying healthy while doing it would put a level of momentum on this team that may be enough to rev up the.....should I say it?.....BANDWAGON.

Winning in Philly would mean this team could end up 7-1 or 8-1 before you knew it, but then of course the target would be on their backs now.

Let's just keep an even keel and pray for health and maximum effort every play, every series, every game.

Posted by: pdfordiii | October 1, 2008 11:08 PM | Report abuse

I hope that Zorn can get them pumped up every game.

The good thing is that now they know how well they can play. They just need to bring it every game and have fate smile upon them once again...cause its been a little while now, its been a little while.

hail.

Posted by: Stumped1 | October 1, 2008 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Philly Win = Start the bandwagon

Inside the NFL "experts" all picked Iggles but then last week they all picked the Cowgirls

Posted by: noonefromtampa | October 1, 2008 11:47 PM | Report abuse

The good thing about Zorn is that he keeps the team on a even keel, so I'm hoping no big letdowns after these big wins.

Also this is a team, no big headed superstars (CP aside, but even he seems to be a team guy). They play as team. Kind of reminds me of the 82 team Gibbs 1.0 era

Posted by: noonefromtampa | October 1, 2008 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Philly win = check the tire pressure. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

That said....

SHOTGUN!

Posted by: MNSkinsFan | October 1, 2008 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Nate, the local (and national media) are giving us props - which is kinda scary. However, they are saying that Philly is going to be a real challenge...it's hard to play there, the Eagles defense is fierce.....JC will have the kitchen sink thrown at him....he will never experience blitzes like he is going to see on Sunday, and on and on. Someone said the Eagles have 17 sacks already - which is hard to believe. The prediction is if we make it through this game alive....we MAY have a chance. Pretty dismal, huh? Especially since the media (in the immortal words of Sally Field) seem to "really, really like us."

Posted by: Lisa_R | October 2, 2008 12:18 AM | Report abuse

If we win, who will call Tony to see if he can find the keys to the garage?

Posted by: Stumped1 | October 2, 2008 12:26 AM | Report abuse

k,

The media just wants a story. I think our D is pretty scary too.

You don't think that the Giants D showed JC anything? I do.

It will be a tough game, and it could go either way, but I like our chances.

Posted by: Stumped1 | October 2, 2008 12:32 AM | Report abuse

I swear I heard Emmitt Smith move us up to #2 in the NFC East (behind the Giants) on 980 this morning. Nearly fell out of my chair.

Posted by: Lisa_R | October 2, 2008 12:37 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, Lisa... I miss hearing it straight from the (DC media) horses' mouths, but I know I can count on RI to deliver the important stuff to us out here in other places.

Yeah, guys, I like our chances WAAAAY better than I liked them a week ago... but I still don't like this game, the whole damn thing makes me nervous. Philly is going to want to rise up and make a statement... never count out a team coached by Andy Reid and quarterbacked by Donovan, at least in a regular season game...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 2, 2008 12:55 AM | Report abuse

Would feel so much better if they had the other Donovan at QB, the sixty-something singer, "Hurdy Gurdy Man," "Mellow Yellow," etc... he wouldn't seem anywhere near as imposing at QB...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 2, 2008 12:57 AM | Report abuse

Nate, I agree with you....I'm really worried about this game. The Eagles are wounded animals due to 2 losses and McNabb and Westbrook are always dangerous....add in the rookie Jackson and they are even more potent.

Not to mention, it's hard to imagine us winning 4 straight.

Another thing I wish the media would shut up about is our lack of turnovers....it's a great thing we have protected the ball but I wish they would not jinx us.

Posted by: Lisa_R | October 2, 2008 1:11 AM | Report abuse

My dopey prediction is that we lose this one and then rattle off three straight wins over teams we "should" beat... taking us to 6-2 at the halfway point, followed by the Monday nighter against the Steelers, the bye week, and the Sunday night rematch against the Cowboys.

Just imagine that, 6-2 at the midpoint, even with what is turning out to be an "easy" schedule that would be amazing for this team...

But I'm getting ahead of myself, of course... but then, it's not going to adversely affect the team if I look ahead a little...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 2, 2008 1:43 AM | Report abuse

The Dorf abides by an earlier bedtime.

Bring on the Iggles.

Posted by: Dorf | October 2, 2008 1:48 AM | Report abuse

Hey Dorf, y'know what's worse than NFL games starting at 11am Sunday? NFL games starting at 10am Sunday!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 2, 2008 2:05 AM | Report abuse

Any Hawaii Skins fans. I was on vacation a few years back and watched a Redskins game during breakfast.

rough.

Posted by: Dorf | October 2, 2008 2:17 AM | Report abuse

jlc you're an idiot

Posted by: Brian_P_McConnell | October 2, 2008 3:28 AM | Report abuse

rough.

Posted by: Dorf | October 2, 2008 2:17 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I was just out there for the NO and Arizona games. And I couldn't watch them. So I had to tune in to internet radio to "watch" the games. Thanks to all the RI bloggers for bringing me insight while I was there.

I'm worried about the Iggles. A good friend who follows them assured me that Westbrook would play this week. The fans in Philly will be crazy, and the team will be fighting for their "lives like a cornered animal." It will be a tough game.

HTTR.

Posted by: frediefritz | October 2, 2008 7:06 AM | Report abuse

I figure whichever team scores first wins.

Also, why stop at 1959?

Posted by: dcsween | October 2, 2008 7:17 AM | Report abuse

Well… I've re-watched the game a few times now and the most hilarious comment of the game was made by Pam Oliver when she said "…speaking with Cowboys defensive coordinator Brian Stewart… ..said that it's a well known fact that Jason Campbell locks on to one receiver and he has devised a special plan."

IT'S A WELL KNOWN FACT PEOPLE. LOL!

I imagined Brian Stewart sitting down with Pam Oliver with a fresh splash of aftershave thinking he wants to somehow someway impress the heck out of this fine looking black woman so badly with his football acumen. "Well, ya know Pammy… may I call you Pammy? it's a well known fact to those who watch Jason Campbell, that he locks onto one receiver so, uh, watcha doin after tha game?

Also, I noticed that the camera was in love with that dude too Stewart too. I have no idea what defensive call it is when he maniacally whirls his arm in a circle above his head but I think it means, "allow the other team to gain a huge chunk of yardage" because, at least, every time that I saw it, we made a either a long first down (Cooley sideline catch) or the long Portis run.

Also, it was apparent that Troy Aiekmen thought it was stupid as well because he brought it up a total of three times throughout the game whenever Jason hit his tertiary read.

Posted by: guymandude | October 2, 2008 7:53 AM | Report abuse

IT'S A WELL KNOWN FACT PEOPLE. LOL!

Also, it was apparent that Troy Aikman thought it was stupid as well because he brought it up a total of three times throughout the game whenever Jason hit his tertiary read.

Posted by: guymandude | October 2, 2008 7:53 AM | Report abuse

Thought this was a amazing story:

LIFE OF REILLY
No players, no problem.
One Minnesota high school keeps winning football games anyway.
by Rick Reilly

If what's happening to the McLeod West (Minn.) High football team right now sounds like a movie, it's only because it should be one.

Some teams in McLeod's division have as many as 60 players on their rosters. McLeod has 19. And three of those are ninth graders who weigh 110 pounds, including helmet.

Most teams kick PATs. McLeod always goes for two. Not because it wants to. The team doesn't have a kicker.

Most teams run players on and off the field—offense, defense and special teams. McLeod only runs one guy in and out—that's because the 10 other guys never leave the field. They play offense, defense and special teams.

Most teams have 20 cheerleaders. McLeod has four. Most schools aren't falling apart. Half of McLeod West's building is crumbling and roped off. Most teams look forward to next year. McLeod doesn't have a next year. Money problems and dive-bombing enrollment numbers mean this year will almost certainly be its last.

And yet somehow, some way, the McLeod Falcons are 4-1, ranked sixth in the state and have their eyes set on toppling fifth-ranked, 62-player Cathedral from New Ulm this Friday night.

If the Falcons win that game and the two after it, they could be conference champs. It's the trailer whipping the tornado, a 1963 Volkswagen Beetle winning Indy.

"We all know this is the last time we're going to wear these uniforms," says starting fullback Zak Neubarth, a junior. "Right now, football is about the only thing keeping this school going."

Other coaches look over at McLeod's sideline, notice that there are eight boys standing on it, and ask McLeod's coach (and Zak's dad) Bill Neubarth, "How do you even practice?"

Good question. Just to scrimmage, Neubarth has to use his coaches, former players and even a local draftsman as the scout team QB. Of course, that guy can't get to the field until 4:15, so they have to wait.

The problem is simple. McLeod West was formed in 1992 by the consolidation of the high schools from two towns—Stewart and Brownton—which happen to despise each other. It was like putting the Hatfields and McCoys in a phone booth. Stewart parents didn't want their kids in with Brownton kids and vice versa.

"The kids get along great, but the parents just can't seem to co-exist," says McLeod West principal Mike McNulty. "They love to spread rumors about each other. They love to stab each other when they're not looking."

This year, it reached panic mode. McLeod had 426 students at the start of last year, around 242 at the start of this. It'll be $2 million in debt by the end of the school year. A new tax that's on the November ballot could get it enough money to keep going, but the last four times it's been put to vote, it's failed.

But wouldn't it be something if The Little Football Team That Could turned it all around? What if these outnumbered kids and their XXL-sized hearts gave everybody such joy that the parents suddenly woke up, buried the hatchet and passed the bond? I mean, there's a chance, right?

"Slim to none," says McNulty. "The bond will fail. This is it for these boys."

Buzzkill.

Undermanned and undersized, McLeod goes into every game an underdog the size of the one in the Macy's parade. How it beats powerhouses like second-ranked, 52-player Wabasso (22-20) is a mystery the equivalent of Janet Reno winning Playmate of the Year. They've mostly done it behind the iron legs and will of Zak, who often carries the ball up to 40 times a game, and a set of teammates who seem to lack the quit gene.

"By the end of the game, the boys are so exhausted they can't even get up off the field," Coach Neubarth says. "I worry about Zak sometimes. You should see the bruises on his back and legs. Put it this way—we go through a LOT of ice."

The one game they lost this season was to a team that showed up running a no-huddle offense. It's hard enough never coming off the field, but never getting to rest during a huddle? If Cathedral saw that film, McLeod might be toast this weekend.

But so what if the Falcons lose? Losing together will be more worthy and memorable and honorable for these kids than any wins next season, when they are all wearing uniforms for schools they hardly know.

"We say it all the time," Zak says, "This is the last year we're going to play with our friends. So let's make the most of it.'"

Actually, Zak, it doesn't matter what happens Friday.

In my screenplay, you already won. In overtime. On a broken leg.

Jessica Alba OK as your girlfriend?

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 2, 2008 7:58 AM | Report abuse

beep beep and good morning.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | October 2, 2008 8:15 AM | Report abuse