Zorn's take and injury updates

The Monday morning injury report from Jim Zorn, via @RickMaese and @dcsportsbog tweets:

On Clinton Portis, who's recovering from a concussion: "We're progressing along. I don't have any information yet...I know he's improving...We have to wait properly."

"I think the headaches are now gone. I think the ringing is gone. As he would put it, there's still a bit of blurriness."

As for Portis's status: "I don't want this to be something where Ladell [Betts] came in and did a wonderful job...and yet have Clinton lose his job."

Zorn added that if the concussion keeps Portis out of practice this week, he won't play Sunday.

Mike Williams' ankle is coming along and he will be questionable for Sunday's game in Dallas. The team is still a week away from any news on Chris Cooley and Albert Haynesworth's ankle will be examined Wednesday.

Zorn, to no one's surprise, said he expected to use the same offensive line again Sunday: "I was pleased with the unit."

Zorn on Carlos Rogers: "He's not done and we're not done." Zorn will confer with Greg Blache and Jerry Gray: We'll "sit down and talk...show the video again... We've got to sort of re-tool him, regroup." He could start against Dallas.

Zorn on Jason Campbell's performance: "I thought Jason went well. He missed some things. I'm always wanting perfection. ...We just missed a couple of things that were there"

By Cindy Boren  |  November 16, 2009; 12:27 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Offensive line gives Redskins a lift and a bit of life
Next: Zorn on Portis, the O line, Rogers

Comments

Alright Red....Just call me at your moms house when the game is finished. We promise not to turn on any TVs during those 4 hours. Scouts honor.....

Posted by: 4thFloor

Oh, really cute, 4th. My pops might have something to say about that.

And I can't dial out from your Sister's house. So I'll hit you on the cell she hooked me up with.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 16, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

I have been a big supporter of Los but after his comments after the game it is time for him to go. I wouldn't play him for the last 7 games. Get Barnes some time.

Posted by: jm220 | November 16, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

What about Haynesworth?

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 16, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

congrats to scamp on his arrival, and to that bama 4th for his soon to be arriving....

jz, doesn't have the balls to call stuff like it is, and to follow up talking about Rogers with expecting perfection from JC...I mean, we won in SPITE of him...he's now more harm than good....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 16, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

quite welcome Curzon...def sounds that if Portis is healthy he is playing, which Talk Radio is basically saying that the team is going to be pissed...Theisman stated that lots of players, basically came out when Portis got hurt that he was the one holding this team back, with not practicing and really giving the OL issues, which is why he always runs into their backs and legs, cuz he is not used to the blocking scheme...interesting insight, Theisman hinted that it was London Fletcher that said it, OUCH.

AH has a boot on his ankle and wont practice probably for 2 days...

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 16, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Wonderful baby pictures, scamp.

HTTR!

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 16, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Portis needs to be put on IR, not only for his concussion, but also to repair the bone spurs on the ankle.

JZ needs to step up and make the decision.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 16, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

just love how so many fans are singing Hallelujah that the Redskins beat this years version of the 2008 Redskins. Go ahead and cheer you are digging your own graves. With every victory the Redskins luck into the likelihood that Snyder brushes off the bad season on injuries, retains Cerrato and more of the same ol same ol. If Orton doesn't go down the Redskins get smoked. Wow, we beat a team who's back up QB hadn't thrown a pass in 3 seasons. I wouldn't be too excited but hey if you want Cerrato and the gang for the foreseeable future more power to you. We just hosed our shot at a front office overhaul AND top draft pick. We just dropped 4 spots in the draft. Way to go stupid Redskins!

Posted by: natsfan007 | November 16, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

--------------

I don't know what's worse, a fan that roots for its team to lose or that the same fan actually gets his moronic comment put in the Washington Post.

If you think they would have been blown out because Kyle "Brady" Orton was in the game, it proves you have little knowledge of how the game works.

Tell me wise one, how will Kyle "Manning" Orton blow the Redskins away if he is on the field for 8-10 minutes for the second half? The Redskins ran the ball down Denver's throat, and held the ball most of both quarters. To boot, I doubt Kyle "Brees" Orton was going to get many other looks like he saw on the two BM plays, the only real plays the B's made all game.

Finally, please give it a rest with the "you are all fools" BS. Almost everyone here is aware the Redskins are not very good at this point. We are enjoying a rare win, and hoping to watch some football worth watching in the future. Rooting for them to lose means you might as well root for the Ravens. In addition, it is really stupid anyways - if they go 6-10, they'll draft around 10. If they go 4-12, they'll draft around 4-5. 10 is still high enough to get an outstanding player, without throwing TWICE the bonus money they would throw at the 4-5 spot.

So not only are you a major downer, your points are all wrong anyways.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | November 16, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Repost

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | November 16, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Carlos made some bad plays. His comments are not what you want to hear from a player. But on the bright side, maybe this decreased his open market value. We may be able to sign him to a reasonable contract and have him as a 3rd or 4th... yeah, right. Nevermind.

I would love to see Barnes get some PT at some point this season. But I cant see the coaches putting Barnes ahead of Carlos regardless of how bad he played.

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | November 16, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

4-12, 4th, I didn't watch it either...didn't block off 3-4 hours two weeks in a row for the first time in 20 plus years and it felt good. Free at last!!!! plan to do the same next week especially if it's nice outside.

Btw...why is Chris simms still in the league??!? And who actually thought mike nolan was a good d coord? How does he keep getting gigs?

Lol at "double move..."

To suggest that this offensive adjustment is zorns is incompetence by this reporter

kanehoe, where do you play? Ps or ft? I'm on ps but thinking about switching to ft.

Posted by: dealer1 | November 16, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Let's all relax before we start killing JZ if Portis and BMW start next week. My reasoning is simple: what makes any of us think that JZ is actually in charge of making those decisions?

1. Portis is the owner's pet -- and is paid a ton of $$$

2. BMW is Vinny's project -- he brought him in as a part of our O-line "upgrades" during the offseason

I personally think that Zorn has no say in those decisions, and does whatever he is told. After all, he doesn't want to be fired "with cause"...

Posted by: mattylight | November 16, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

How are they going to "re-tool" Carlos? Replace his hands with octopus tentacles? Maybe someone should take him out back and re-tool his head - that's obviously where the problem begins...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 16, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Btw...why is Chris simms still in the league??!?

Posted by: dealer1 | November 16, 2009 12:52 PM

-------------

Nepotism.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 16, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

At this point I'd rather root for the Ravens they know how to build a proven winner and have actually won a super Bowl in the last 10 years. The Skins have been doormats for 18 seasons give or take. Orton placed the balls perfectly to Marshall twice in the 1st half and could have continued to exploit that giant hole in the secondary. While the Redskins were twice caught pointing the finger at each other. Also with all the weak teams in the NFL this season when the Redskins finish at 4-12 (I can only realistically predict one more victory against the Raiders) that will probably drop us to anywhere from 10 - 12 and by then all the franchise changing players will be gone, oh and the money doesn't matter cuz next year will be uncapped and the deal can be front loaded for the one season and spread out at a reasonable amount over the remaining years of the deal.

Posted by: natsfan007 | November 16, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Zorn just said in his Presser that Portis would not lose his job because of injury.

Well, uh, uh, what about performance, Zorn?

Is there any hope for this Man?

Can anybody justify his position?

I know it is common for players to retain there starting role upon returning from injury, but bbbuutt' but but, Clinton wasn't doing nothing.

Geez.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 16, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Tru dat, Mattylight...however I think most people would want to see how that draft pick plays under any consistent circumstance, but Zorn does not seem to give him the chance, that is all i am saying.

I heard Theisman state the thing about Portis, but i wonder if it is true and if it is, why did Fletcher not say something to Zorn or whomever or would they even listen?

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 16, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

By all means, don't let us hold you back....go...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 16, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 16, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Yeah I hear you. I mean if it is Zorn's call, he's a moron. Obviously. If it's Dan and Vinny's...well, we already knew they were "Dumb and Dumber"

Posted by: mattylight | November 16, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

pabrian, comparing Los inability to cover a receiver, to Peyton throwing an INT, is literally the dumbest thing ever on RI...congrats on setting the record....WOW...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1
++++++++++++++

People from NE really are jerks, I'm so glad I no longer live there. You got to chill out Bean.

All pa is saying is sjk happens, not everyone plays perfect all the time. And that's true. Los messes up occasionally, but so does everyone else and I don't see you complaining about Hall. Just because he had a good game yesterday you single out Los, but Hall's let people go for touchdowns exactly the same way. Check your memory, what do you want to do, bench the whole secondary?

Enjoy winter Bean, you wont see the sun again till March :(

Posted by: REXskins | November 16, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

todaysskins14

Posted by: retroskins14 | November 16, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Los played bad yesterday but LL was horrible too. The analyst on NFL network incorrectly attributed the busted play to Marshall as Smoots fault. LL jumped the underneath route instead of staying deep.
We need less swagger and more fundamentals (tackling, staying with assignments, etc.).

JC needs to get glasses, Yoder was wide open on the play before the fake FGA. I'm glad he spread the ball around this time. He finally got away from thinking that only Tana, Cooley & ARE are the only people that can catch the ball. But I would like for him to realize an open WR isn't just a guy who has 2-3 steps on a DB. Sometimes he has to throw into a tight window but we never see this b/c it looks like he's afraid to make a mistake.

Posted by: priceisright | November 16, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Here is the difference:

Hall makes interceptions.

Los does not. Ever.

Clear enough for you??

Sunny and in the low 60's today....so much for your career as a weathergirl....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 16, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

REXskins, it's not just his bad plays- which seem to continue like he is incapable of learning- but mostly about his comments, Rogers sounds like a punk and like baily and coles before him, trade them if they don't want to be here.

The problem is, the other two had marketable skills, los, not so much.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 16, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

The Washington Redskins the worst run organization in sports! You can keep rooting for this group of losers and there clueless head coach. I'm done! I'll be back in a couple of years once Cerrato is gone if he ever leaves. I'm rooting for the Vikings for the rest of the season. Love to see Favre get another ring. I hate Baltimore too much to root for them, but I am so envious of there ownership, front office, QB, DL, OL, and Ed Reed. This team lost me years ago when the Redskins valued other teams players more than there own. Let's just hope and pray that they do not do something as stupid as win another game for the rest of the season so we can finally get the change we all know needs to happen. Change is something we believe in! For the rest of you do something better with your Sundays. Take your family out, take the kids to the park, walk your dogs, spend some times with your better halves, work on projects at home, do anything but watch this fiasco of a football team. Sports are pastimes not meant to occupy 90% of your lives. Half of the people on this board are worse than Trekkies. In the words of the great William Shatner, "Get a life, will you people"

Posted by: natsfan007 | November 16, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: priceisright | November 16, 2009 1:02 PM
-----------------------------------------
Have seen Campbell's accuracy? When a reciver is two steps ahead of his man, that IS a tight window for Campbell.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 16, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

This team lost me years ago

said the guy posting on a redskins blog.....ufb.....stop threatening to go away....and go away...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 16, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

I had thought that Rogers turned his career around last year coming back from the knee injury. What a disappointment he has been this year and his comments just suck.

I do wonder why people had Jerry Gray, the secondary coach, pegged as a potential interim Zorn replacement. The secondary has 3 top 10 draft picks, yet it has been among the worst units on the team.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 16, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Beantown Greg, nice name by the way, how do you get by living in your parents basement and scrimping by on unemployment or disability. Beantown probably refers to Boston which probably gives you that incredibly annoying accent. Baaaahsten! Your probably an alcoholic and one in a long line of hardcore allcoholics. Your mic daddy probably beat your mother on a daily basis for undercooking the potatoes and probably beat you with an empty bottle of Guiness. It's ok Greg its not your fault. Greg, its not your fault. It's gonna be ok, son.

Posted by: natsfan007 | November 16, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Did Campbell have accuracy problems like this before Zorn arrived?

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 16, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I got a laugh yesterday thinking about this scenario: Carlos is yanked so he is playing catch with Campbell on the sideline to keep Campbell's arm fresh. Just imagine old scatter arm Campbell and stone hands Rogers playing catch. Imagine Rogers talking to Campbell as teh ball is thrown to him:

"Oops. I'll get that."

"Whoa! How could I drop that?"

"Man, I bit on the double pump."

"My bad."

"Almost had that one."

"Ball is slippery ain't it?"

"Little help here?"

"Ouch! Jammed my thumb!"

"Dude, not so hard."

"That's enough. What? Yes, I am a little tired. You know, last night I tried to catch a nap, but I missed it."

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 16, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: priceisright | November 16, 2009 1:02 PM

We saw it against the Bucs. Zorn addressed that particular play you mentioned. He said Yoder was a decoy on that play, and that the Broncos blew coverage on him. JC was reading the progression as the play was designed. It's interesting that the skins didn't run that play again given how open Yoder was, maybe they use against the Cowboys.

In all I'm happy with the rebirth of smashmouth football in redskins land. It was what worked during the first 8 games of the JZ administration. Hopefully it yields an identity on offense that the skins can hang their hats on going forward.

Posted by: TWISI | November 16, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Here is the difference:

Hall makes interceptions.

Los does not. Ever.

Clear enough for you??

Sunny and in the low 60's today....so much for your career as a weathergirl....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1
---------
He has hands of stone, but that doesn't stop him from making his share of great plays. He doesn't let people get catches or touchdowns on him any more than Hall does. It's not like I think he's a hall-o-famer, but I think our team is better off with him than without him, because of depth. Also - he tackles, Hall doesn't.

His comments are unfortunate, and I'm not going to cry if he leaves. But I'd rather he stay, I think he's better than you give him credit for, and Smoot is getting old. At what point is it convenient for us to spend a 1st or 2nd round pick on a starting corner as good as Rogers? I can foresee no point in the future where we can afford to do that.

And it's not really winter yet, I know you know what I'm talking about. Do you work near a window?

Posted by: REXskins | November 16, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Beantown Greg......0.2......fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.

Posted by: natsfan007 | November 16, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Where is the props for Sherm Lewis??? Where??? By what I heard and the highlights I saw, there was an ACTUAL NFL Offense out there!

Thanks Sherm!

(Though you know this saves Vinny job if he keeps succedding)

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 16, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsfan007 | November 16, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Do you have a subscirption to internet tough guy magazine or do you just copy all your insults off of other website forums. You got all the biggies except cheeto dust covered fingers. All in all I give you a 1/10 for your pathetic internet trolling attempt.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 16, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

STOP RAGGING ON JC HE'S BETTER THAN CUTLER AND SANCHEZ RIGHT NOW AND NEITHER ONE OF THEM WOULD HAVE SURVIVED THE BEATING JC HAS TAKEN SO FAR AND JUST REMEMBER THE SEASON AIN'T OVER!

Posted by: dargregmag | November 16, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Not really, not at all. In fact I am a rather confrontational person and would be more than happy to confront anyone and everyone in person. In fact I welcome it. This forum is not my cup of tea, but I'd be happy to meet anytime or anyplace. I back up my words. My bite is much worse than my bite.

Posted by: natsfan007 | November 16, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsfan007 | November 16, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

There's a lot of ways I can go with this, but dude just get a life and go somewhere else with your phony act, k?

Posted by: mattylight | November 16, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsfan007 | November 16, 2009 1:30 PM
------------------------------------------
So, then post your home address up on the RI and let's see who comes to your door.

Signed,
One Mick Who Takes Offense at the Slur

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 16, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

If ya feeling froggy leap, son!

Posted by: natsfan007 | November 16, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Natsfan, Looks like you could give it a break for at least one day. OK so we all heard you. Go back under the rock now.

Posted by: VegasJim | November 16, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Where....and when did this happen??

He's been here for 5 years, and in that time when has he EVER performed like the 9th overall pick in the draft??

Last year for 8 games he was great, but other than that, its been, dropped interceptions, dropped interceptions for touchdowns, and getting burned on double moves...

Call it what it is.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 16, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

TWISI- I'm glad to see the return of smashmouth football too, or as i like to think of it Redskins Football.
RedSkinsHead- LOL...

Posted by: priceisright | November 16, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsfan007 | November 16, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

It's easy being a 6 foot 5 inch 200 pound cage fighter from behind the confines of a keyboard. I bet you have to be at the gym in 26 minutes!!

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 16, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Well I'm 1/2 Apache and your team insults my people and my heritage every day.

Posted by: natsfan007 | November 16, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 16, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsfan007 | November 16, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

hahhahhahahhaaa lmao

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 16, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Well I'm 1/2 Apache and your team insults my people and my heritage every day.

Posted by: natsfan007 | November 16, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Well, your also 1/2 stupid for not knowing that your people invented the term. It's not an insult and never was used as one. If you have some eveidence to the contrary I'm all ears.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 16, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 16, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

No not in 26 minutes. I'll be training at DC Krav Maga today, Wednesday, and Friday from 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM. 616 H St NW Washington, DC 20001. Just ask for the chief, thats what everyone there calls me.

Posted by: natsfan007 | November 16, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

The term was used throughout the English-speaking world (and in equivalent transliterations in Europe) throughout the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries as a common term of reference for indigenous Americans. The term was once in common use, as evidenced in Western movies, but is now largely considered a pejorative and is seldom used publicly (aside from the football team)

Posted by: natsfan007 | November 16, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

The irony being, all this coming from a Nats fan... lmSJKao.

The only time I'll abandon this team is when they change the name. I'm done after that. Until then, I have a generational commitment to root for!

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 16, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsfan007 | November 16, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse
------------------

Right, because there are always holes like that during a game...come on. His throws were also both underthrown, by the way - not that it mattered when no one is within 15 yards of the wideout.

4-12 = 10th or 12th pick? Now I know I'm dealing with someone who doesn't know this league at all.

Money doesn't matter...yeah, what's an extra 10-15 mil? They can always raise the prices.

Go ahead and root for the Ravens - please. We don't need "fans" like you that want off the bandwagon. We don't want "fans" like you that pine to root for another team. If you're even capable of simply switching allegences, it shows you weren't much of a fan of the team anyways.

Don't let the door hit you on the a** on the way out.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | November 16, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsfan007 | November 16, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

It was never used pejoratively and is only regarded as being pejorative by Susan Harjo and her band of idiots that don't realize the real origin of the word. She was proven wrong by a Smithsonian linguist and won't admit it. That's why it will never change.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 16, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

I would root for the Washington Chinamen and I am asian..."Nobody bodder me"! That would be our fight song! People can really learn from that saying..

NOBODY