Ladies, You're Not Being Very Charitable!

Katherine Kennedy, Andrea Rodgers and friend Anna Kimsey, in happier times. (Courtesy of Andrea Rodgers)

Reality TV is hard on friendships -- "The Hills" taught us that. Now, D.C.'s own non-scripted drama, "Blonde Charity Mafia," is already rupturing relationships -- before it even hits the airwaves!

The series, set to air on Lifetime early next year, chronicles the lives of one Katherine Kennedy and two other 20-something D.C. socialites; filming wrapped last month. This week, local charity-scenester Andrea Rodgers slapped the show with a lengthy online denunciation. (She says producers approached her but she opted not to participate.) Rodgers, an organizer of the Courage Cup charity polo match who also pens a love advice blog, claims she coined the "BCM" term after noting that her fellow blondes rule the charity circuit -- and argues that most of the show's stars "were not in the group. ..... Attending parties which happen to be for charity isn't real charity work."

Zing! We checked in with Kennedy, who blasted her 30-something friend for "outlandish statements." She e-mailed: "Being that Andrea is closer in age to my mother (age 50) than myself (23), I opine I am more disappointed than anything else that I can no longer look to her as a role model. ..... I thought the moral of charity work was to treat others as you want to be treated." Yikes, maybe this show will be good.

By The Reliable Source  |  October 22, 2008; 12:01 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: THIS JUST IN......
Next: They Don't Approve THIS Message!

Comments

Link to the "lengthy online denunciation"?

Posted by: G. | October 22, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Katherine is an idiot and sounds very stuck up. "Opine" really? This is coming from the girl who can't stick with one thing longer than 6 months. Her pitiful blog? Her jewelry line? Her brief tenure at London School of Economics? Give me a break. This girl has finally found a group of people who can't even stand her, to put her on some pedestal. The nerve of her to blast someone for their age. Get over you self-absorbed self katherine. We all know Sophie will be the real star of the show. I predict Katherine will be the next Heidi Montag. Andrea had every right to speak up and tell her side.

Posted by: wow | October 22, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

I cannot wait for the show to come out. Not only will it be interesting, it will expose Katherine Kennedy and her like for what they are.

Outlandish statements? I guess Katherine is so delusional and narcissistic, she thinks that charity IS about mugging for the camera and not actually putting in any real work.

Posted by: DC | October 22, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Why would someone use their blog to vent about some of her "friends." Why wouldnt she take it up with them? Clearly she only had herself in mind. But what else is new. Any charity work that she does is done to get attention for Andrea. She found out long ago that her "charity work" could get her into magazines and invitations to other events. That is her motive. Not the charity.

Posted by: crazy | October 22, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

There is at least one charity, mentioned by Rodgers in her post, at which she is persona non grata for the same behavior she chastises Kennedy for. The real organizers of the event tired of her posing and constant self-promotion and asked her to leave, rather than allow her to continue to harm the image of the charity and the women who did all the hard work behind the scenes.

Posted by: not to mention | October 22, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: yes | October 22, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Anyone notice a striking similarity in the comments language directed negatively towards Katherine all made within 20 minutes of each other?

Andrea, thanks for chiming in posing as multiple posters, but REALLY - most readers are NOT as stupid as your clique of Over the Hill flab bags!

Posted by: Hmmm... | October 22, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Know both, can't stand either. Each epitomize the worst about the charity scene: vapid, idle-rich faux blondes whose only career goals are self-promotion and landing a high profile man.

I'm disgusted that these are the women who will publicly represent the city I love.

Posted by: eh | October 22, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

All of them are 20 somethings??
I don't know any of them personally, but just looking at their pictures I can see that Katherine at least has a reason to be stuck up. She is very pretty and looks about age 25.
The other two in the picture above at least are below average in looks and appear to be about age 45.

Posted by: DW | October 22, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I can only imagine how many people have asked her about BCM and where it came from since this whole thing started. she used her blog to tell the story of how it came about. KK should have taken the high road and not come off as so visceral and deffensive. It really seemed foolish and scremed of insecurities. Also, I am confused about KAM getting the website. Was she feeling left out of the show or something?

Posted by: Gtowner | October 22, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

"She was asked to step down from the Corcoran Fall Fete, Blondes vs Brunettes and Fashion for Paws. Also, the Courage Cup is in debt since her take over and most likely will not happen in the future."

Not true at all. Miss A served the Corcoran and BVB for years and resigned to focus her charity work solely on The Courage Cup. Miss A was involved in Fashion for Paws this year - KK was not. The Courage Cup will certainly happen again as it is now teaming up with another nonprofit in town for the event.

Posted by: Thanks for more lies, KK | October 22, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

I wish the show will expose what a liar she is. London School of Economics, for a semester? Seems she thought her lies wouldn't catch up with her but people are starting to realize how full of bologne she is. Oh, someone tell her to get a real job!

Posted by: KK is a fraud | October 23, 2008 12:08 AM | Report abuse

I love how all the negative comments are immediately taken off. Is the truth to hard to bear KK?

Posted by: Ridiculous | October 23, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Ha, I love the fact that Andrea Rodgers provided the photo. That is hilarious.

Posted by: KL | October 23, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I know Andrea, she hijacked my buddy's office for an hr making personal calls. I think she was sweet on me though.

Posted by: The Navigator | October 23, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse