Obamarama: Today in Future First Family News (Nov. 21, 2008)

Maya Angelou (Chuck Burton -- AP) )

Maya Angelou on Michelle Obama: She's a fan. Our colleague DeNeen Brown caught the author's appearance at the Hay-Adams yesterday, where she was asked whether the new first lady-to-be would help correct stereotypes about black women.

Said Angelou: "A few weeks ago, I had the pleasure of introducing Michelle Obama. Before I did, I called Oprah. I asked, 'How do you access Michelle Obama?' Oprah said, 'She is the real deal.' I went to the microphone. I told the audience some of her achievements. I said, 'I introduced to you the real deal.' The audience erupted. I thought, 'Did I see what I thought I saw?' The audience was three-fourths white male and female. Black, White, Asian, Spanish speaking. All were on their feet shouting."

In other media outlets. . . Barbara Bush tells ABC News about how she and twin sister Jenna showed their old White House bedrooms to Malia and Sasha, who are about to inherit them. "They're really sweet and they're excited, but they also have the same concerns that we had when we were 18 when our dad became President. . . It was really fun to get to meet them and to get to see them being excited about their move."

Meanwhile, a publisher is rushing out a book on Michelle Style. . . Michelle picks a chief of staff, Jackie Norris. . . Does Barack still smoke? Does it matter? . . . And this blogger at TheRoot.com enters the debate over whether Marian Robinson should live in the White House. (Did you know there was a debate?) He says Obama shouldn't let her: "He's going to spend more time managing her than managing the country. She'll have her girlfriends up in there playing Mah Jong and Tonk, sitting around gossiping about the comings and goings and classified information."

By The Reliable Source  |  November 21, 2008; 3:29 PM ET
Categories:  First Family
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Oh, Baby! Big News for Rep. Sanchez
Next: Obamarama: The Obamas Pick a School -- It's Sidwell Friends

Comments

What a shame that the Obamas chose Sidwell Friends for their children. I wonder why they did not give their daughters the "opportunity" to attend one of the District's fine public schools - now wouldn't that be a "change"?!

Posted by: PittAlum | November 21, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

fr the article:

>...And this blogger at TheRoot.com enters the debate over whether Marian Robinson should live in the White House. (Did you know there was a debate?) He says Obama shouldn't let her: "He's going to spend more time managing her than managing the country. She'll have her girlfriends up in there playing Mah Jong and Tonk, sitting around gossiping about the comings and goings and classified information."<

This "blogger" needs to grow UP and get a life. Harry Truman's mother lived in the White House when he was President, and other than being a real pill at times, they got along just fine. Now, FDR's mother, Sara, was a royal pain, had the nerve to tell Eleanor she was running the house like "a hotel". Eleanor told her "You run your house the way YOU want, and I'll run the mine the way I want!"

Posted by: Alex511 | November 21, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Where did this picture of Ms Angelou come from? She does not look well... please God my birth sister sees another former 'caged bird' fly free on Jan 20...God Bless you, Ms Maya, this 'caged bird' is praying for you...

Posted by: C8bkwbT4 | November 21, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

C8bkwbT4, the lady is old. What to you expect for her to look like at 80 or close to 80, Janet Jackson?

Posted by: Dracula1 | November 21, 2008 6:55 PM | Report abuse

@ C8bkwbT4 & Dracula1
This great icon looks better than you at your own age.

I bet if you were her age you would not look anyway as good as she does.

Some of you don't age well, leather is not a good look.

Posted by: msvon60 | November 23, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Lighten up folks. C8bkwbT4 does have a point. I know a bunch of African American ladies well into their 80's and they look much more youthful. Maybe because they are all carrying a little more fullness in their faces and are not as drawn (and not because of botox)as Ms. Angelou. Ms. Angelou looks nice, but the comments made by C8bkwbT4 are valid.

Posted by: OHREALLYNOW | November 24, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse