Update: Obama Girls to Visit the White House

Sasha and Malia on their way to school in Chicago last week. (AP Photo/Charles Dharapak)

After trips to two D.C. private schools, Malia and Sasha Obama are getting a special personal tour of the White House this afternoon, accompanied by grandma Marian Robinson and their mother.

"Mrs. Obama greatly appreciated this invitation to provide an opportunity for the girls to feel at home and be comfortable in this transition process," Katie McCormick Lelyveld, Michelle Obama's spokeswoman, told our colleague Richard Leiby in an e-mail. Laura Bush was in Kentucky this morning for an event at the Abraham Lincoln Birthplace National Historic Site and was expected back this afternoon.

Yesterday Malia, 10, and Sasha, 7, visited Georgetown Day School and today toured Sidwell Friends -- the two private institutions that seem to be at the top of the future first lady's list. She visited the both campuses last week.

On "60 Minutes" Sunday, Michelle Obama spoke warmly of the First Lady, saying she and her staff have been "working closely just to make us feel welcome." Malia and Sasha will be the youngest children to live at the White House since the Kennedy kids. In the interview Mrs. Obama said, "We want to make sure that we're upholding what that house stands for. But I couldn't help but envisioning the girls running into their rooms and, you know, running down the hall and -- with a dog. And, you know, you start picturing your life there, and our hope is that the White House will feel open and fun and full of life and energy." Today the self-described "mom-in-chief" and her kids will get an even better picture.

By The Reliable Source  |  November 18, 2008; 1:49 PM ET
Categories:  First Family
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Obamarama: Today in Future First Family News (Nov. 18, 2008)
Next: Quoted

Comments

Georgetown Day School was the first racially integrated school in the city, public or private. Thurgood Marshall once served on its board. Diversity, tolerance, and service are central to its mission. It would truly be a fitting place for the Obama family.

Posted by: fmjk | November 18, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I heard that Mrs. Robinson will be joining the Obamas in the White House. As a grandmother myself, I say HURRAH! I think that's grand.

Posted by: itsagreatday1 | November 18, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

The Obama girls are sweetie-pies. I do hope the Obamas will let them attend public school instead, as Amy Carter did. It would send a powerful message.

Posted by: vegasgirl1 | November 18, 2008 6:35 PM | Report abuse

What powerful message? For Whom? Send them to a PRIVATE school so they will not have to deal the public school thugs and bullies!! Take it from one who KNOWS! The DC public schools STINK!!

Posted by: shelton2 | November 18, 2008 6:52 PM | Report abuse

While many aspects of the Obamas' life is now ripe for public fodder, where they send their children is a private family matter to determine what is best for THEIR children. I hate this "powerful message" BS. While I think people would love for them to send them to a DC public school, for good or bad, it is very unrealistic, for many reasons, that do not include the quality of the school. This is not 1976 and the world is much different.

Posted by: suzannepdc | November 18, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Laura Bush is a kinder and more thoughtful person than her husband.

Posted by: HughBriss | November 18, 2008 7:15 PM | Report abuse

I love the way the same lefties who screamed because Jenna and Barbara Bush hadn't enlisted in the armed forces are finding all these excuses why where the Obama girls attend school is a "private" matter. What absolute hypocrisy. If Obama truly wants to support education as he claimed during his campaign, then he needs to put his money where his mouth is and put his children into a public school. There are several very good elementary schools in the District (Horace Mann, Oyster, eg), and the Obama girls would receive an excellent education there.

Posted by: WashingtonDame | November 18, 2008 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Even in 1976 the security concerns for Amy Carter were such that she never got to have recess outside like the other children. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amy_Carter

I would have hated to skip recess as a child, and would never expect that of any child.

Posted by: mlscha | November 18, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse

It should be noted that Mayor Fenty's kid go to private school so why should the Obama kid go to DC's public schools? Besides, if they go to Sidwell they'll already have friends there because that's where the Joe Biden's grandkids go.

Posted by: Katana1 | November 18, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

WashingtonDame is right. There are excellent DC Public Elementary Schools and they could use the support of the Obamas. They could also have at least shown Michelle Rhee the courtesy of visiting with her and a DC Public School. This would have meant a lot to the kids of the DCPS. And BTW, why is it just Michelle going on the school look-see? Sounds like a throw back to the old days when the wife was relegated to deal with school issues because the husband had more important weighty matters. Ugh. More of the same elitism and sexism.

Posted by: ophelia3 | November 18, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

suzannepdc is right. This is none of our business. The Obama children are not political pawns to be used to make statements. They are children. Their parents have the right to make the decision that is best for them. They have to consider the safety of their children above any other considerations. There should not be a public debate about where the Obamas send their children to school. As the president, his job is to do as much as he can to make public schools better. However, that has nothing to do with where he and his wife choose to send their children to school. With the increase in fanatic rumblings around this country, it would be foolhardy for them to use their children as symbols to make supporters of public school feel better. I attended public school for most of my education and value that experience greatly, but there was no one aiming to hurt me because of who my parents were. I did not have secret service agents tagging around with me. I was able to go out on the play court without fear that some sniper was lurking in the trees.

Posted by: dcree77 | November 18, 2008 9:18 PM | Report abuse

dcree77, are you aware that Jenna Bush taught in a public school in DC and was very successfully protected by the Secret Service while doing so? The Secret Service have to protect Obama's children no matter where they attend school, and there's simply no reason why the agents can't protect them as easily in a public school as a private school.

Fenty is wrong to send his children to private school, and so is Obama. Chancellor Rhee, however, walks the walk, and her kids go to public school.

Posted by: WashingtonDame | November 18, 2008 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Malia and Sasha currently attend a rpivate school. I would like them to continue that tradition in D.C. I would like them to attend a school with children they are likely to socialize with after school.

The children should not be used to make a political statement. They did not run for office, their father did. And I absolutely love the idea of the First Lady and First Daughters doing the whole living and school thing together. The Obamas have a great division of labor. And we'll have a grandmother in the White House. I was worried about the emotional safety of the girls but now that I hear grandma will be in DC with the girls, I very much relieved. By the way, it looks like Malia plays the flute. I also took the flute when I was in elementary school.

Posted by: gametheory | November 19, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

The posters who say it is none of our business are correct. It is not a politic issue. It is finding a good school for two little girls.

I feel sorry for the girls already because of the mass media. Thank goodness for the Secret Service and of course, the Grandmother.

I hope the girls enjoy their new school.

Posted by: kamiah | November 20, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse