Biden Gets Cutest Puppy EVER, Upstages Obama Dog Search

The future Naval Observatory pooch, with breeder Linda Brown (Suchat Pederson/The News Journal)

While the nation's eyes have been fixed on the stalled Obama puppy search (Michelle says they're waiting 'til they move into the new house), Joe Biden went out last weekend and got himself this adorable German shepherd puppy.

The news was broken yesterday by the Daily Local News of Chester County, Pa., where breeder Linda Brown welcomed the future vice president last Saturday. Biden, who has had two German shepherds in the past, picked a three-month old male from one of Brown's litters. "He said I had beautiful dogs," Brown told the paper.

The pup has to stay with his mother for a few more weeks, though, and after some training will move into the vice president's residence at the Naval Observatory in January.

(Photo Courtesy of Linda Brown/Daily Local News)

By The Reliable Source  |  December 12, 2008; 3:23 PM ET
Categories:  First Family
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Already Hanging Around
Next: Weekend Roundup: Jackman, Page, Oprah, Puppy

Comments

Way to go Joe (and Jill)...there are hundreds of dogs (including puppies) who are spending their final days in high-kill shelters all over the DC area and you go to a breeder. Thanks for giving them more business so they continue to add more to the already over burdened canine population. What do you think happens to these dogs that don't get rescued Joe? I hope your dog craps in your shoes!

Posted by: deltaxi | December 12, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

"Way to go Joe (and Jill)...there are hundreds of dogs (including puppies) who are spending their final days in high-kill shelters all over the DC area and you go to a breeder."

Anyway, that puppy is adorable--I saw a picture last night and actually said "Awwww" out loud at my computer.

Posted by: dkp01 | December 12, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

There is still time for Obama to choose this particular Jack Russell terrier named "Fred" that will put VP Biden's new pup to shame. Fred's bio can be found at

Posted by: saturdaymorningpost | December 12, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

"I see your point, and normally I'd agree, but the ASPCA and the Humane Society have regularly been giving Biden high marks for his support of animal rights issues for years. If he wants a pup from a reputable breeder (as opposed to someone who doesn't know what they're doing, or a puppy mill), I'm not going to rake him over the coals for it. It would have been preferable for them to have gotten a shelter dog, but with his history, I can't find it in me to be offended."

American Humane has a radical political agenda just this side of PETA and a well-paid leadership clique. I no longer contribute, I give directly to rescue organizations. So I'm not impressed by an AHA endorsement. As for the dog: a rescue dog doesn't know it was bred by someone who didn't know what they are doing. ALL my dogs are rescues (or pups from a rescue who was pregnant). Dogs are lives in being, not ornaments.

And as for puppy mills, I like to see a confiscatory tax on litters over a certain level that would not inhibit responsible breeders. Our tax dollars pay for puppy millers' mistakes.

Posted by: gbooksdc | December 12, 2008 11:56 PM | Report abuse

And BTW, the pup's not THAT cute. Give me any retriever pup any day of the week.

Posted by: gbooksdc | December 13, 2008 12:02 AM | Report abuse

Joe Biden got his puppy from a known PUPPY MILL breeder who committed fraud

Report on the fraud and suspension http://www.pet-abuse.com/cases/8439/PA/US/

Posted by: drWalter | December 13, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

It's possible dkp01 wasn't referring to the AHA. There is also a large national organization called the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), whose agenda doesn't strike me as being all that radical.

Posted by: dottieb | December 13, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Well, ya can tell Biden & Family didn't do ANY research online about the breeder... NONE!

I'm very very disappointed... even angered by this news that Biden would *BUY a PUPPY* from a BREEDER... when the nation has discussed openly with Obama about ADOPTION.

Tell me... just what have the Bidens been doing since NOV 4th? They certainly haven't been paying attention to animal welfare issues.

I feel duped.... violated... ripped-off! So what can we expect from the Bidens from here on? Seems they aren't listening to the people that voted for them.

Obama better stick to the plan... adopt, don't shop!

Posted by: bigfanx | December 15, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

I would have guessed that a Bulldog, my favorite, would best be suited to jovial VP Joe's personality. A German shepherd doesn't seem to fit, but I guess if you have to live in D.C. even a Rottweiler would be a rational choice.

Posted by: johnson0572 | December 16, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Biden's breeder does run a puppy mill and GETS BUSTED!!!

Posted by: drWalter | December 16, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Personally I think Joe Biden's other dog (a Goldendoodle cross) is much cuter.

However, I can understand that with the position he now holds, he may need a dog that can better protect his family, and it could be that this German Shepherd pup comes from a line of good watch-dogs.

Posted by: Linny2 | December 17, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse