First Lady Lunches Downtown With D.C. Mayor

Southern cooking in the dead of winter turned 15th Street NW into a hot spot when first lady Michelle Obama appeared at Georgia Brown's restaurant today for lunch with D.C. Mayor Adrian Fenty.

Drama began, as it always does in these situations, with Secret Service agents holding back office drones heading to grab a sandwich, and anyone else planning to go in to the restaurant at that particular moment, our colleague DeNeen Brown reports.

Whispers in the crowd: "I wonder who's coming," said a man in a black coat.

"Is it President Obama?" asked a woman.

"I don't know," said a man.

A motorcade swept up 15th Street, and you could see the first lady inside. Obama stepped out of the limousine at 12:06 p.m., wearing a beautiful jewel-blue coat. She smiled and greeted the mayor and Michelle Fenty, who stood waiting for her under the restaurant's green canopy. And they went inside. We recommend the fried chicken.

By Andrea Browne  |  January 30, 2009; 12:55 PM ET
Categories:  First Family
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Chalk It Up to 'Official Business'
Next: Napolitano Gets Even . . . Odds

Comments

Fentys: "We'll have the voting representation, please."

Seriously, these small public gestures mean so much after eight years of an administration that treated Washington and its people with such disdain.

Posted by: KSVA | January 31, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

To get comprehensive, timely information from every perspective, follow Obama on Line Spout. http://www.linespout.com?q=obama

Posted by: ard1 | January 31, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Hello,

I attended the Inauguration and I am glued sometimes to the Internet following our First Family. I hoped you enjoyed the recommended fired chicken. First Lady Michelle, you are a classy lady. I also liked how you choose your designers. My class of students desire to "pen pal" with the First Daughters. Your family is always in my prayers. I Too, Sing America by Langston Hughes is a reality and To God Be The Glory!

Posted by: willette_ash | January 31, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

The virtual tour of Inside Obama's West Wing in the Washington Post is powerful and I will use it as a teaching tool in my fourth grade class. However, due to drawing error, I was unable to print the printable version of the West Wing. If possible, please PDF it to my email address. Thanks

Posted by: willette_ash | January 31, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Super Bowl Sunday in the White House will be g r e a t! I wish I was an invited guest. Nevertheless, I will have fun watching the game and eating at home. I will be cheering for the Steelers like President Obama and those leaders from Pennsylvania.

Posted by: willette_ash | January 31, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse