Hey, Isn't That . . . ?

Beyoncé and Jay-Z before Tuesday's swearing-in ceremony. (Reuters/Jim Young)

• John Legend making a last-minute rush through the Chevy Chase Bloomingdale's yesterday evening with a lady friend who still needed to buy a gown.

• Samuel L. Jackson and Vanessa Williams being rescued from near-disaster by cops who realized that the stars were -- uh-oh! -- holding purple tickets in a silver-ticket line for the swearing-in.

• Beyoncé, Jay-Z and Diddy lunching at Acadiana, post-swearing-in -- crispy catfish, crab cakes, shrimp po' boy.

• Courteney Cox and David Arquette lunching at D.C. Coast after the inauguration, their toddler, Coco, enjoying the sweet potato fries. Sister Patricia Arquette there, too -- and look, Teri Hatcher just walked through!

• Heather Graham drawing a lot of attention by dancing through the crowd at the MoveOn party Monday -- in go-go boots!

• Dustin Hoffman dining at Clyde's of Georgetown Monday -- a three-egg omelet with chili and a plate of cheeseburger sliders (though he gave one to the folks at the next table who were saying how tasty they looked).

• Anderson Cooper wrapping up a workout at Results gym on U Street Monday evening -- how on earth does he have time for that?

• Bow Wow having the lemon-herb grilled wings at Nando's Peri-Peri; told staffers he knew the chicken takeout chain from his travels in London and decided to stop in.

• Pete Wentz at Toledo Bar with a bodyguard and three friends Saturday. Someone asked if he's married to Jessica Simpson -- duh, his new bride is Ashlee -- and he laughed and joked, "Not anymore."

• Chesley B. "Sully" Sullenberger, in town with a special inauguration invite, eating dinner last night at Hudson Restaurant with his wife and two kids. You'd think he would have had enough of the Hudson after so smoothly splash-landing that US Airways jet into the river last week.

• By The Reliable Source  |  January 21, 2009; 12:01 AM ET
    Categories:  Hey, Isn't That...?
    Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hurricane Victims Recalled at Southern Ball
    Next: Youth Ball, Part I

Comments

Jill Biden should have her shoulders and arms covered. She's too wrinkly to be bare on top. Otherwise, the dress is pretty. Joe should lay off the Botox, it makes him look really weird. It's okay to age naturally, just dress appropriately. Jill should have worn a longer coat and dress today with her boots.

Tonight Michelle Obama's ballgown looks like my grandmother's chenille bedspread from the 1950's. Yikes. UGLY!Michelle keeps tugging the gown constantly. A train? What a nightmare. Michelle must be so uncomfortable. I agree with the CNN commentator who said it appears that the strap was sewn on at the last minute. Tacky, very tacky. Michelle is in desperate need of a stylist. Her daytime choice was inappropriate. Sequins at noon? The gloves and shoe colors clashed. No taste.

The entire day has been a major disappointment. No class. The entire "ceremony" was less than dignified. Very, very disappointing.

From the poor choice of anti gay, anti woman, creepy fundy freak Rick Warren, to the botchd National Anthem by way, way past her prime, Aretha Franklin in a crazy, tacky hat, to the flubbed up oath of office by Obama and Roberts, to the less than inspiring speech by Obama, to the racist Rev. Lowry, to the weired "poet", to the rude attendees who booed Pres. Bush, the ENTIRE EVENT WAS JUST NOT CLASSY!

I am a Democrat and I am embarrassed. If this is the best Obama's got he's going to be a one termer.

The fawning media is embarrassing itself again.

I celebrate the color barrier being broken today. That's it. I wanted Hillary to be President. I wanted the gender barrier broken.

**The "celebrities" are tacky too. The ratty looking outfits, the unshaven men, ugh. The catty anti-Bush comments. The so-called "creative coalition" is anything but. They ALL have the same talking points. Pitiful. "Hollywood" has NO glam anymore.**

I DO celebrate the color barrier being broken. It's important. Let's raise a glass to that!

I wish this nation well.

Hillary 2012!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: TAH1 | January 21, 2009 12:15 AM | Report abuse

At least they had Yo Yo Ma and thank goodness for that. I agree with TAH1's observations. Denyce Graves should have been singing. And the booing of "W" was a disgrace. I'm glad to see him gone but this was supposed to be a dignified event. But I wish the best for President Obama. What a mess he's walking in to!

Posted by: Z914 | January 21, 2009 1:09 AM | Report abuse

TAH1, the only thing tacky here is your comments, silly queen. The ceremony was beautiful, Michelle looked elegant, and Obama was splendid! Only a self-loathing, middle-aged, gay man would post such comments as you did.

Posted by: janet88 | January 21, 2009 1:27 AM | Report abuse

We all have a different opinion of what we saw today. The First Lady's choice of color in her outfit was dufferent but she did look lovely in it. She is so statesque and could wear a paper bag and still look elegant. I did like her white evening gown and again she looked very lovely. The President looked fantastic. I didn't see enough of the Vice President and his wife but they did look wonderful dancing together.

One of the biggest thrills is hearing Hail to the Chief and then President Obama appears. I used to work in W-DC and Hail to the Chief always gave me a sense of being in the vicinity of the President of the United States. It is historic that now heralds the entrance of President Obama.

The first post was just plain picky. Don't rain on their parade.

President Obama has walked into a very messy situation and let's all hope that he will handle all issues as smoothly as he dances with his lovely wife.

Ceremonies are never perfect but they are a part of the process of the inaguration of a new President. Hail to the Chief!

Posted by: kamiah | January 21, 2009 3:51 AM | Report abuse

[Perhaps we have moved past being judged by the color of our skin; but clearly not by the color of our dress.]

I stood in the group at the Monument and felt saddened that some couldn't resist booing and taunting Bush, Cheney, and others -- forgetting how Obama curbed that kind of incivility during the campaign. The crowd wasn't honoring Obama when they dishonored his values.

In all, though, a day that made me feel it was safe to breathe out: it's really happened, history has been made, no matter lies ahead. The crowning joy was seeing Barack Obama walking en route to the reviewing stand, allowing himself the largest, most relaxed smile I've seen yet, as if he finally is as happy as the rest of the country.

Posted by: vafrommd | January 21, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

TAH1 - Since when has the National Anthem been "My Country Tis of Thee" which is what Aretha sang.

Anyway, other than the crowd booing Pres. Bush which is beyond disrespectful I felt the whole affair was very dignified...heck, befitting of a President even!

Mrs. Obama is beautiful and looked beautiful as did Mrs. Biden. As a young woman I can say with certainty that I would have worn either of their gowns.

Posted by: LR81 | January 21, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Is Toledo Bar the same as Toledo Lounge on 18th?? Very confused.

Posted by: stacilyn7 | January 21, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse