This Just In: India the White House Cat Dies at 18

India at the White House in 2006 (Kimberly Hewitt)

India, the Bush family cat, passed away Sunday at the White House, the first lady's office announced.

The 18-year-old black American shorthair -- who also answered to "Kitty" and "Willie" -- was named by a 9-year-old Barbara Bush in honor of former Texas Rangers player Rubén "El Indio" Sierra. When the twins went to college, India stayed with the Bushes at the White House. In addition to the Bush family, India is also survived by terriers Barney and Miss Beazley.

As Barney watches, India endures a licking from Miss Beazley in a First Pets Valentine's photo in 2007 in the Red Room of the White House. (Paul Morse/The White House)

By The Reliable Source  |  January 5, 2009; 2:35 PM ET
Categories:  This Just In...
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Book Deal for the First Lady
Next: Love, Etc.

Comments

My condolences, I lost my 18 yr old kitty this past July 3.

Posted by: fluxgirl | January 5, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

As a cat lover who has owned and loved black cats, I send the Bush family my condolences. I am glad that good care made it possible for India to live to the ripe age of 18.

Posted by: ANetliner | January 5, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

It's always terrible to lose a pet. My condolences.

Posted by: sarahabc | January 5, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Another black cat owner -- my kitty lived to be 16, was diabetic and on insulin the last 6 years. He had to be euthanized in September and is missed very much. Condolences to the Bush family.

Posted by: Baltimore11 | January 5, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I had a black cat once. He was the runt of the litter but turned out to be quite intelligent. I'd tell him to do something (with no gesturing) and he knew exactly what I was saying. If only George Bush were a cat ... he may have possessed some intelligence ...

Posted by: justhere | January 5, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

I hate cats I'm glad he's dead.
Don't you people have anything else to do with your lives? Apparently not!

Posted by: jamesfaruki | January 5, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

I think the post above me should have been deleted. I wonder why you even posted if you have so many other things to do?

Cats are one of the most wonderful things in life. I'm sorry the cat passed away. Cats are more than pets, they are family.
I think it's great he lived that long- he sure did get good care and deserved.

Posted by: surfcat | January 6, 2009 12:53 AM | Report abuse

God Bless India! May She rest in Peace. Sorry for your loss. (and to those that leave hateful comments, some say hate is just a mask for fear; I hope you're not afraid of a cat that passed away, if so I think there may be better ways to deal with fearful fealings.) I may not agree with Bush politics, but I feel for anyone that has lost a pet, God Bless them too.

Posted by: miamikittycat | January 6, 2009 5:05 AM | Report abuse

I'm sorry tht jamesfaruki chose to leave a nasty posting. I love cats and am the 'mom' of Nora, age 14. I worry about anything happening to her. I agree that people who say they hate cats are usually afraid of them. What a sad thing.

Posted by: marylynch643 | January 6, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

jamesfaruki, You must be the loneliest needle-wienered person on this earth. You obviously have too much time on your hands. Perhaps you can find a nice pet rock and make friends with it.

Posted by: justhere | January 6, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

My condolences, our almost 19 year old Maine Coon just died in August, at home after being sick only 10 hours, in my arms. She had all of her teeth, still ate only dry food, and loved being outside. We all took the day off and had a wake. Friends from my childrens' childhoods sent condolence emails. She was well known and well loved, and still missed everyday.

Posted by: katem1 | January 6, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

I love cats and place high value on mine. The worst part of all this is that right now George W is feeling more pain for his cat's death than he has felt for all the innocents he and Cheney have managed to get killed.

Posted by: curmudgeon99 | January 6, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

We love you India. God Bless You. Cats are wonderful, special, funny little creatures. I am sure the Bushes are in pain with the loss of India, but she had a wonderful life. A house without a cat or two or more is an empty house.
I hope the police are watching closely anyone who hates cats and would post it on the internet as they are very sick in the head. Our condolences from Canada to the Bush family in their loss of India.

Posted by: JulieESaunders | January 6, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

jamesfaruki is a mean-spirited, pathetic troll; please, WP, remove this person's post. There should be a policy prohibiting unintelligent, unpleasant and offensive comments such as that one.

Posted by: caro_cuth | January 6, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse