Bristol Palin on Abstinence, Motherhood

Bristol Palin holds her brother, Trig, at a rally for Sen. John McCain's presidential campaign last August. At the time, she was five months pregnant. (AP Photo/Stephan Savoia)Enlarge This Image

Bristol Palin talks!

In her first-ever interview, the 18-year-old daughter of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin dished with Fox News' Greta Van Susteren last night about her pregnancy and son Tripp, who was born Dec. 27:

• On motherhood: "It's just, like, I'm not living for myself anymore. . . . You're up all night. And it's not glamorous at all. Like, your whole priorities change after having a baby."

• On telling her parents she was pregnant: "Well, we were sitting on the couch, my best friend and [boyfriend] Levi [Johnston], and we had my parents come and sit on the couch, too. And we had my sisters go upstairs. . . . We just sat them down, and I just -- I couldn't even say it. I was just sick to my stomach. And so finally, my best friend just, like, blurted it out. And it was just, like -- I don't even remember it because it was just, like, something I don't want to remember."

• When asked if she used contraception, she declined to give details. Abstinence, she said, is the best option but "not realistic at all."

• On having the baby: "It doesn't matter what my mom's views are on it. It was my decision, and I wish people would realize that."

• Next: She's going public so other teenagers will think twice about having sex. "I'd love to [be] an advocate to prevent teen pregnancy because it's not, like, a situation that you would want to strive for, I guess."

• The future with Levi: "Eventually we'd like to get married. We're focusing now on getting through school though, getting a career going."

At one point, Bristol's mom walks into the interview with baby Tripp, who has his first TV close-up (video below).

• By The Reliable Source  |  February 17, 2009; 2:54 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Breastfeeding Seen 'Round the World
    Next: Obamarama: First Lady Invites D.C. School Kids to White House

Comments

For me to comment on this article is as stupid as you people reporting it who cares about any palin don't you women know we have problems in this country

Posted by: mernatti123 | February 17, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

WOW, what a great grandma to just walk in with the baby.

Interesting:

Posted by: edlharris | February 17, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

"When asked if she used contraception, she declined to give details."

They gave them eyes, but they can not see.

Posted by: edlharris | February 17, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

It's good to know that Bristol disobeyed her mother's political philosophy so Levi could come inside of her.

His ejaculation made the presidential race of 2008 even more exciting.

I can't wait to hear more news about unwed pregnant fundamentalist Christians who promote extreme right wing political philosophies!

I'm so glad Sarah didn't abort Bristol, aren't you?

Posted by: lichtme | February 17, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

It's like she's a great like role model. I don't like listen to my parents but like teenages will like listen to me - NOT.

Give me a break.

Posted by: rlj1 | February 17, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

I think she sounds like a nice girl who made a mistake and has accepted the consequences.

But Greta Van S. is a joke, like her channel.

Posted by: msame | February 17, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Ugh. Pimping out your daughter and granddaughter for political gain. Right Sarah, just showing up. Beautiful baby, but it is part of Palin's failing policy. Abstinence Only is a complete waste of money, thanks Republicans. Real family values. I guess family does not include the father or the father's family.

Posted by: jvbutcher | February 17, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

As a parent of young adults and teenagers, I have an open discussion with them about abstinence and protection against pregnancy and STIs without imposing my views on them. We cannot as society afford to hide away from the fact that pre-marital and teen sex is happening around us. We can beat the Bible all we want but just because it says don't does not mean everyone doesn't as demonstrated in this story. Also, unfortunately most young mothers will not enjoy the strong social supports and are sometimes marginalised.

I would rather sleep easy and be accountable to my God that I have educated my children on the why not and what to do if they do not subscribe to my views rather than be an ostrich.

Posted by: sithole | February 17, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Bristol is clearly not on the same page as her mom and the rest of the GOP.

Pragmatism has just pimp-slapped party ideology.

Posted by: labman57 | February 17, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Bristol may have had premarital sex, but her mom is a media WHORE.

Posted by: labman57 | February 17, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

What health insurance coverage do Bristol and Trigg have? Is it from Sarah Palin's plan? If so would Bristol and Tripp still be covered if Bristol and Levi got married? If they got married could they get coverage for Tripp under CHIPs? Are all these questions too inconvenient for Republicans to answer?

Posted by: jimk8mr | February 17, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

So, Bristol, does your pregnancy signal a total absence of values on the part of your parents? Too bad Greta didn't take the opportunity to puncture the hypocrisy of the sanctimonious right. Though I guess that would be hard if you work for Fox.

And Gov. Palin -- you had to drop in? You insist on upstaging not only your running mate but your own daughter?

Posted by: fmjk | February 17, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

way to go pro-lifer!

Posted by: sar04 | February 17, 2009 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Bristol seems pretty thoughtful in this, but her mom insulted Bristol's friends by saying they wouldn't have handled it as well, and she insulted Levi by gushing about Bristol and her side of the family while ignoring Levi and his side of the family - and his own mom had apparently been there to bring the baby in. The m-i-l situation isn't looking too positive.

Posted by: amhmd | February 17, 2009 11:56 PM | Report abuse

In the accompanying video, I really wanted to hear what Bristol had to say about her own thoughts, feelings, and experience. But then Sarah Palin comes in and talks on and on, repeating herself and taking up all the time, while Greta, the journalist, also talks on and on. So we never really hear much from Bristol. I wish these people would just shut up and listen to Bristol, as this would have been much more refreshing.

Posted by: John_D | February 18, 2009 1:48 AM | Report abuse

Can you say "train wreck"? What's next, Trig and Tripp doing the eTrade talking baby commercials? If she's the GOP's great hope, Obama wins again in 2012.

Posted by: DemoDevil | February 18, 2009 1:50 AM | Report abuse

amhmd, the other "grandma" they were talking about was Palin's mother, the great-grandmother, not Levi's mother. She later brought in Palin's baby.

I'm not sure why people believe that Palin believes in abstinence only. Here's a quote from an interview she did with KTOO in Alaska a year ago: "No, I'm pro-contraception, and I think kids who may not hear about it at home should hear about it in other avenues. So I am not anti-contraception education, but abstinence is another alternative that should be discussed with kids. I don't have a problem with that."

Posted by: slhm926 | February 18, 2009 2:00 AM | Report abuse

Sarah's story of Bristol has changed so much it's hard to keep up with. Look it's all in the numbers. Bristol had Trig and Sarah covered it up as her child for the medical needs the child would get if Sarah was the Mother. Now Bristol had her second child 306 days from the time Trig was born. It takes 280 days for a normal delivery of a baby. The truth was reported by the teens that go to the same school Bristol went. The Media wasn't allowed to print that information. Bristol has been having sex long before she had her first child. Sarah wasn't told about the second baby because Sarah really doesn't do anything for her kids. Todd is Mr. Mom and he's a drunk so it explains why this family is wack. Levi's Mother sells drugs for a living. There will be no wedding it was story for the campaign. Bristol will most likely have another kid by somebody again. It started as a small lie but got bigger. The interview was done for the money as Bristol has no education or job. As Sarah tries to keep the public interest Eric Cantor see's himself as the next Republican candidate for President. Sarah has dropped so low she wrote President Obama asking for money for Alaska. Yes the same man she called SamBo, terrorist, Muslim and racist names. To bad she was disrespectful to Vice President Biden as she will be remembered for " Can I call you Joe" and the famous wink.

Posted by: qqbDEyZW | February 18, 2009 2:24 AM | Report abuse

Why did Sarah Palin march into her daughter´s interview? Bristol was the one who was going to talk for herself.

Posted by: asoders22 | February 18, 2009 3:15 AM | Report abuse

Why would you even bother interviewing an 18 year old about this? Give her a decade and then see where she is.
    College degree? Graduate degree? Solid work experience? If she and the kid have turned out okay, then maybe give her 5 minutes, but that's about it.

Posted by: gce1356 | February 18, 2009 4:05 AM | Report abuse

Bristol, As a grandfather with a couple of teenage granddaughters, I do appreciate you sharing your life experiences. What happened to you and Levi has been happening to young couples since Biblical times and will continue to happen. However, it does put more stress on the individuals involved and increases the problems they have to solve. Good luck in the future, but remember birth control measures are still needed in your future.

Posted by: Thependulumswings | February 18, 2009 5:48 AM | Report abuse

Obviously abstinence only works!!! Bristol is a perfect example of that.

And is it just me or does anyone else take issue with Bristol talking about her babysitting experience as something that prepared her for motherhood?!

GOD LOVE HER, BUT IS SHE NUTS!!!

Posted by: theonebluerose | February 18, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin is a disgusting *&^%$##@

Posted by: wjmdjm | February 18, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

This situation is why it's so important to communicate with your teens. Talking to them about pregnancy, the pro's and con's. Not just these are my views "don't have sex".

Bristol said it's not realistic, and for some it's not, especially if they do not understand the sacredness of sex and what they are doing. A lot of teens view having sex like going and getting a latte.

Parents need to talk to their kids about important issues, not just let impose their beliefs, and leave the teen to making a decision with out any guidance.

If teens then decide to engage in sex, they are equipped with the tools they need to guard against pregnancy and STD's.

I mentor teens and parents and the biggest issue out there is parents not communicating with their teen. The parents are saying "my teen doesn't communicate with me". It's up to us as parents to build a relationship with our teen that is based on communication, so that when they have difficult decisions to make they always know they can come to us.

Debra Beck Author
    My Feet Aren't Ugly
    www.myfeetarentugly.com

Posted by: myfeetarentugly | February 20, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Bristol Pain is a smart and beautiful young lady, she knows she made a bad choice with having un safe sex at that age but its never ever a mistake when a child is born into this world, I cannot stand when people "hate" on her she to is a child and a bunch of mature adults should at least grow up a little bit and stop saying hateful things about her. what if someone had said that about your pregnant daughter?! i think she is a smart girl who will be a very good role model to pregnant teens telling them to be positive about your not so great situation. I wish the best to the palins and her new baby. she will be a great mother especially with the help of grandma sara!! lots of love

Posted by: carolinenordeen | February 21, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

This interview is sad. It is clear from Bristol's body language and taut avoidance of eye contact with Greta that she is a frightened, unknowing and unwilling mother. There will be much turmoil in this family, I assure you.

Posted by: Craigkay2009 | February 22, 2009 3:00 AM | Report abuse

The more I see and hear from Sarah Palin and her extended family the more I wonder just what the Republicans were thinking. I am so thankful that this family and all of their dysfunction are not representing America in the White House.

Posted by: vicki7 | February 22, 2009 8:45 AM | Report abuse

This is a ridiculous story. What's the teenage main JOB in this rich country??? This is the reason why America joins the third country team now. You have to use YOUR BRAIN to think why I am doing this now. Come On, this is a horrible story. Who pays this baby's medical bill, food, etc. I hope all the cost comes their own pocket. I totally agree with other people's comments they are not in white house. Otherwise, what kind of symbol america carry to the World????

Posted by: happygirl05 | February 22, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse