Your Questions Answered About Chris Brown and Rihanna

Rihanna and Chris Brown, performing together last December. (Lucas Jackson/Reuters)

Virginia-bred R&B star Chris Brown faces domestic abuse charges and a March 5 court date after his alleged pre-Grammys fight with Rihanna, 20. What's the latest?

Brown, 19, canceled an appearance at the NBA All-Star Game and hired Scott Peterson's and Michael Jackson's lawyer Mark Geragos. Rihanna postponed a concert in Malaysia and her N.Y.C. birthday party; she's cooperating with L.A. police.

How bad was the fight?

Rihanna suffered bruises, a black eye and a split lip, the L.A. Times and People report, citing law enforcement sources. She hasn't been seen in public since she was discharged from a hospital Monday night.

How long have they been dating?

Officially? Never. Despite cozy images of the two traveling, performing and partying together, they've never acknowledged they're an item.

Can this relationship be saved?

Probably not. One Ike and Tina Turner is enough.

Next career move?

"What he should do is admit whatever he has done and seek some kind of professional help," says Sheila Tate of Powell Tate, a D.C. PR and crisis-management firm. "And frankly, if I were she, never be in his presence again. Strictly from a career standpoint, she needs to cut him loose."

What's Rihanna's last name?

Fenty. No relation to the D.C. mayor, as far as we know.

By The Reliable Source  |  February 11, 2009; 1:02 AM ET
Categories:  Your Questions Answered
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Update
Next: Bacon's Hollywood Sizzle, Always Worth Savoring

Comments

"How bad was the fight?"

I'm sorry, this was not a fight. It was an argument that turned into a man using a woman as a punching bag. It's kind of gross that domestic abuse is discussed so blithely in this story.

Posted by: james235 | February 11, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

From the view point of a 20 yr old College student I feel that everyone who has negative comments about Chris really needs to come into grips with todays society.. True domestic violence is a HUGE NO NO but for both men and women. You can't put your hands on someone and just think they have to accept it. Everybody has feelings. Yeah maybe she has bruises, a black eye and a split lip but that doesn't mean he "BEAT" her or used her a "punching bag" one hit to the face could have caused that so thats not beating its only hitting. Not making it okay but she may have hit first, and he just reacted.

Posted by: MrsKay | February 11, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

rihanna got the shit beat out of her thatz what she gets ha ha ha ha

Posted by: god10992 | February 11, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

I don't care!!! What she did to him? I bet he dont have no burises on his face, spilt lip, or bite marks. It dont give no reason to beat her like that. Now look at him!!! He have to paid the price..... Its to many bruises mans out here and now some need to pay....

Posted by: akshelby0327 | February 11, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

It is immaterial what she did to him; in other words, nothing justifies what he did to her. This guy needs help big time.

Posted by: altagrl | February 11, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

WOW Mrs Kay... It is obvious you are 20 and need to take more college courses on these kinds of issues... god forbid you are ever in this situation and someone were to defend the man who choked you into unconsciousness... I can speak from experience of being abused and its ALWAYS about being in a position of power.. .just because you have some silly school girl crush on this man doesn't mean you should blindly defend him and automatically blame rihanna... ur saying this was all self defense when NO evidence has been brought forth saying Chris Brown suffered any kind of injuries but you just assume he did... hitting IS beating... its these kinds of qualifications that get women killed... my friends sister's abusive boyfriend went into her job on Valentines Day after she finally broke up with him after YEARS of abuse and he shot her in her face and she died... did she deserve that???? does their daughter deserve to grow up w/ out a mother and a father in prison for killing her??? it ALWAYS starts small.. a man just doesnt wake up one day and kill a woman... it starts small and builds everytime... like i said God forbid you learn this lesson by going through it yourself but as young and naive as you seem to be you just might find yourself on the other side of this coin... god bless and good luck.

Posted by: sweetE-23 | February 11, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I am woman and I agree with Mrs.K.. I'm 28 yrs. old and I've seen my mother and sister go through abuse. I've went through it myself. I'm againt men hitting women but some women need to realize just because a man don't suppose to hit you, doesn't mean that it's okay for you to hit a man. I know many people say that he could have just walked away. What do a man do when he can't walk away? I think everyone should take there parents advice and keep your hands to yourself and at the first sign of abuse in a relationship just let it go. Love or a certain image is not a good enough reason to stay in any abusive relationship.

Posted by: s_walton02 | February 11, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

S

Posted by: twinmom2 | February 11, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to say, but some of these comments are so ignorant! There aren't any excuses for hitting a woman! He shouldn't get any special priveleges because of who he is. He beat her up, and that's that! What a loser!

Posted by: twinmom2 | February 11, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Okay let me say that everyone is going in way to deep into something that is not even about you or a family member. You have to realize that domestic violence is a serious charge and very hard to shake, I have been in this situation before and the guy had just found out some difficult info and I knew it but I attempted to continue to push not to justify what he did but I hit him first because he pushed me. That is how the fight started, then there are girls out there that will do things to themselves to get someone in trouble. However that is their business and no one knows the real true story besides them and for someone to just judge a situation with out knowing anything or correct info is wrong. If he did hit her that does not make him a bad person just a bad decision and just because she was bruised don't mean that whatever she did was less harmful. This is their lives and way of living. This is how they make their dollars. You shouldn't try to play God in this situation and choose sides to make things worst on one party because you feel bad for the other. Chris and Rihanna are both young. She doen't seem like an innocent person at all so I feel for him and I feel for her because a case like this is totally embarrassing. And you need to put yourself in her shoes and his shoes and see if you want people to turn they backs on you off of a PERSONAL life experience that everyone knows about because you were a star. If they were not famous none of you would really even care.

Posted by: britneydavis0098 | February 11, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

There is a lesson in this for everyone. I don't believe this is an Ike and Tina thing, it's disrespectful to women who are truly abused and live in abusive relationships to compare this to that situation Men don't put your hands on women just walk away and if she refuses to allow you to walk away call 911.Men also need to start utilizing the 911 system on women who are physically and verbally abusive.If you do not wish to be in this type of situation Call the police. Women keep your hands to yourselves, No one has the right to hit another person Man or Woman. To all the women who seem to believe that Rihanna had the right to abuse him are just as lost as those who believe Chris had a right to hit her back. They both were wrong and they both should have been arrested.

Posted by: 3sona | February 11, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry to here about this but #1 they are young and #2 most men have anger issues, this is not new. You push any guy who is a testosterone(sic) beast and they all act the same. Most of them can be dogs and some can be tamed but only by a certain kind of women. And the ones who are tamed have a women on the side and you better not interfere. He was busted and got mad but unfortuneately for him he is too immature and didnt handle his business neither had control of his hormones and now hes screwed...so long Chris nice knowing ya. Praying for Rhihanna...Rhihanna, learn baby that you need to protect yourself and walk with both eyes open next time...you cannot trust most men...sorry guys and I'm no manophobe either, I'm a realist and love the pee pee.

Posted by: fieryrainbow | February 11, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Chris I have watched you for the last four years. I think you have the freshest look, so did others I gather. However, you are too young and now famous to have just one love. I talk to you and not Rihanna because you are the man. If you knew that you were getting tired of being with one girl which is understandable for your age. YOu should had let your publist make a statement. You see what the Rev. Ron did with Angela and Bow-wow!
Forget about the endorsements, just pray a lot and ask God to forgive you.
Your family has got to be disappointed! Remember this if you don't remember anything else...NEVER LAY YOUR HANDS ON A WOMAN THAT IS FOR PUNKS. I was in a battered relationship for five years. I got out of it but as a woman that can damage you mentally. I still love you as an artist. But as a man, you have a lot of growing up. I know that you miss Rihanna now and feeling sad. Man-up and move on. Hell I'm from Chicago and you see what R Kelly did and was able to walk away!

Posted by: danson1 | February 11, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Oh and one more thing, this is no excuse for anyone to hit on another grown person. Especially not a man hitting a women, I teach my boys to never hit a girl. I heard Chris Brown was abused, most who were abused turn into abusers does anyone forget about that if it is true? Apparently he has nothing guarding his sense of sensibility, what is in the heart of a person to bite someone, ok fight them and in anger sometimes pushing and even fist fighting happens sometimes when people get in fights. But biting?? huh? You have to have some hate in you to do something like this. There should be something inside a person to stop them you would think. He's really ill. Rhianna run.

Posted by: fieryrainbow | February 11, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Oh, I spelled your name wrong all over the place Rihanna I'm sorry. No disrespect intended.

Posted by: fieryrainbow | February 11, 2009 11:39 PM | Report abuse

I agree with twinmom2 on some of this commets being ignorant.
For example britneydavis0098
you said your boyfriend or whoever pushed you. so you think you don't have a right to defend yourself.

Posted by: MiMi20001 | February 12, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Actually, Rihanna and DC's Mayor are distant relatives. She's from Barbados, as is Phil Fenty. In fact, I thought I read about this in the Post! I mean, I think they are *much* more closely related than Obama and Dick Cheney are.

Posted by: redstriped | February 12, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

you know looking on the outside in, chris seems to be a nice guy and rhiana a nice girl but we all do not know what was said in that car before it got bad. and as we all know, words, comments can get to the best of us...it called provoking. some people will say things inspite of knowing the truth just to be spiteful. and you can only push a person so far til he or she snaps. ive learned this in my time. no matter how beautiful or sweet a person may seem to be, they may have certain issues that we don't know about until you get to know them through time. i may be wrong about this but it just seems to me that this violence all of a sudden pops out of nowhere and we are the first to jugde a person for one altercation not knowing what lead up to this. if chris was this violent person, i have to believe we would have know of this before now. and who says that rhiana is such an angel? she might be that coneiving little @##$%!no one knows about. not that she deserves it but what if she did something for him to react that way? let's be fair,not defending chris but women are just as guilty of domestic violence and cut throat games as men are these days.

Posted by: kaliadam | February 12, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Bottom line: Until all the facts are in, nobody should be judging either one of these individuals.

Posted by: illegalplayer2003 | February 12, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

I have to say that some of these commenta are ignorant and senseless. Some of you dont have a clue and need to educate yourself before you write about things you know nothing about. Whether of not she provoked him there is no excuse in the world to justify his behavior. And by the look of things its safe to say this is definitely not the first time that he got physical with her. I guess he never expected it to come out the way it did but eventually what is done in secret will come out in the open. He needs help. He has a problem and the sooner he gets it the better for him. If he's so big and bad why didnt he go off on a dude. Im sure there are alot of dudes in the industry that provoke him so why he didnt step to them. No because he's a punk. Any man that beats on a woman is weak.PERIOD. And for those individuals who are laughing and making slick ass comments you are examples of people who are either abusing others or you're probably getting your ass kicked. You think that its ok. You should also consider getting help too.

Posted by: lovern_18 | February 13, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

people i don't get what else you need to know about the situation before you can recognize that he hit her!!! And that is abuse!!!!He turned himself in, he did it, period. there is no reason, no amount of antagonizing that justifies what happened to her. I'm so tired of seeing posts for girls trying to defend the guy because they have a crush on him. When you defend that behavior you allow more of it in the future.

Posted by: lrm17 | February 16, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kaliadam | February 12, 2009 4:24 PM
___________________________________________

WHAT!!!!!???

Posted by: lrm17 | February 16, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

educate yourself....please

Posted by: lrm17 | February 16, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I think all of You need some business because there's so many ways this situation could have been prevented and they just got into a fight that doesn't concern any of us and thats the problem people don't knw how to mine there own business I for one could care less about the hole situation because its none of my business now im not sayin you can't have your own opinion but when its getting personal its time to back away from the hole thing because once again its none of our business and they can work out or come to an agreement.

Posted by: S0_what_im_me | February 16, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

really theres no need for profanity it just shows ignorants and im sure none of you want to be that so really theres no need....................................

Posted by: S0_what_im_me | February 16, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse