PETA's Star Gimmick Is Tough to Swallow

George Clooney-flavored tofu? PETA wants to make it happen. (Clooney: AP Photo/Kevork Djansezian; tofu: AP Photo/The Charlotte Observer, Yalonda M. James)

Just when we thought we'd seen it all from PETA -- the animal rights organization known for high-profile celebrity ads -- President Ingrid Newkirk has come up with this: George Clooney-flavored tofu.

In a letter sent to the actor, Newkirk said that PETA has been offered his gym towel (obtained right here in D.C.!) and wants to use his sweat to create Clooney tofu that will "spare animals from being killed for the table." She went on to explain that the science is pretty simple, like "making artificial chicken flavor for instant gravy."

Newkirk, a big fan of Clooney, told us yesterday that the towel was offered by a PETA supporter with the idea of auctioning it off, but she immediately thought of using his perspiration for bean curd: "I thought, 'What would make tofu more attractive to people?' ... I can see people having parties to try CloFu."

Clooney's not biting. "As a mammal, I'm offended," he told us yesterday through his rep.

By The Reliable Source  |  March 12, 2009; 1:03 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Quoted
Next: Seeking Representation at the Top

Comments

I would absolutely eat CloFu! I hope he changes his mind!

Posted by: joelrama | March 12, 2009 7:55 AM | Report abuse

OMG! This is so exciting! I do wish George would change his mind, I'm such a fan. I actually looked into creating human-flavored tofu when I was studying cannibalistic cultures in an anthropology class in college: and it's totally doable. You could use Geroge's sweat, or (if you wanted to get really fancy) “headspace technology” to isolate his personal-flavor.
Let's face it: eating Clofu is the closest most of us will ever get to George himself! Love it.

Posted by: foxane | March 12, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

So.
Much.
Wrong.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | March 12, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

That is the most disgusting thing yet from PETA, a group of genuine experts in the disgusting.

Posted by: Blogger1947 | March 12, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

I normally find no reason to praise Clooney's off camera nonsense, but kudos to him for saying "No" to this silly PETA stunt.

Posted by: ynot4tony2 | March 12, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

"I actually looked into creating human-flavored tofu when I was studying cannibalistic cultures in an anthropology class in college"

~~~~~~~~~

Okay, I find the idea pretty fascinating (theoretically), but it's mixed with an overwhelming portion of bone-deep revulsion. I think the key word there is "cannibalistic".
(I wrote a long involved sentence here about biological and societal norms that prevent the spread of disease, but I think it can be summed up with EW ICK GROSS HORK.)

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | March 12, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Has Ingrid stopped using animal derived insulin? And what's with PETA euthanizing stray animals? It all smells fishy to me.

Posted by: VIPERsssss | March 12, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Sir George is here in St. Louis, doing a film. I'll ask him about it as we "do lunch" at Hooters together. Oh yeah, he'll order the veggie wings, I'm sure.

Posted by: deadralive | March 12, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I'd rather eat the real George Clooney. With a side slab of Sean Penn, and some Jane Fonda sticks as appetizers. After all, you spit out the plastic surgery bits and there's not much substance left.

Posted by: Vangod | March 12, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Excellent! another benhmark in the never ending quest to make tofu mastier.

Posted by: mec2 | March 12, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I never thought they could make the taste of TOFU be WORSE..

I stand corrected.

Posted by: earllutz | March 12, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

That's awesome! What a great idea! PETA is always coming up with new and exciting things! I hope Clooney changes his mind. What a great way for him to use his celebrity status to show compassion for animals!

Posted by: sky508 | March 12, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

CloFu auction on Ebay - would sell for so much more than his gym towel. If it's doable, then LES DO IT!

Posted by: bingeandpurr | March 12, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Ummm... this is hilarious and clever. And it's bringing media attention to a very serious issue: the unnecessary pain and suffering caused to farm animals and condoned by meat eaters everywhere. Although PETA has its tongue firmly in cheek when it makes this statement, i would totally eat CloFu.

Posted by: lellipos | March 12, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

This idea of tofu, which tastes like George Clooney is worthless.
Once someone tries it, why would they want more, when the tofu tastes like S***?
They would be better off, if they had tofu, which tasted like George Bush.

Posted by: john5240 | March 12, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Clooney + tofu = yummy! Actually, tofu + tofu = yummy! PLUS tofu is healthier for you than eating animal flesh. Just think, you could improve your own health and spare animals the hideous suffering that occurs to them on factory farms--not to mention the environmental pollution. For more info check out: www.goveg.com. Great suggestion Ingrid and PETA!

Posted by: Saynotofur | March 12, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Surely this is an early April Fool's joke? PETA always comes up with something wacky for April Fool's Day. I'll never forget the time they claimed to be trying to put orange vests on deer, and outdoors columnists totally bought it.

Posted by: laceymatthews63 | March 12, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

There's no such thing as too much Clooney! Too many prudes out there, clearly. PETA is always coming up with clever touch-in-cheek plans like this in order to draw attention to animal cruelty.

I mean, really, is it not hypocritical to be freaked out by the notion of ingesting George Clooney's sweat when most people ingest various bodily fluids, tissue, muscle, blood, and often feces-tainted parts of animals every day? The fact that sweat (mostly likely caused by fear due to the cruelty involved in the meat & dairy industry) is ingested every day already should make it seem like a treat to eat tofu infused with sweat from a celebrity. Come on, it's a step up from your normal diet!

And heck, George Clooney loved his pet pig, so he should definitely appreciate the message beneath this touch-in-cheek proposal. ;)

Posted by: haleychristy | March 12, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

CloFu must taste like CrapFu.

Posted by: BlueJaguar | March 12, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Really? Eating human perspiration is cannibalism? A bit of a leap, I think, fellow posters.

If drinking the blood of virgins makes one young, perhaps dining on tofu (already brimming with protein-rich soy and cancer-fighting isoflavones) marinated in eau de Clooney would make a person ... sauve? I'm willing to give it a try! Bring it on, PETA (pass the ketchup)!

Posted by: CFGracie | March 12, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

If this is not completely indicative that the people in PETA are insane I do not know what is. I would cross the street to avoid them. These people are nuts and probably dangerous. They need professional help.

Posted by: RobertNYC | March 12, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I eat meat - a lot of it as it is a natural food chain thing to do. I would kill Clooney's pig and eat that too. You people are crazy - as in straight jacket, padded room, reality denial NUTS!

Posted by: RobertNYC | March 12, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Peta picks there own fights ! what about homosexuals using gerbals to put in there rectums ? nothing ? why ? because they don't want to offend the homo perverts !
why don't the homosexuals go after the blacks ? who voted down there being married ? but the can attack the catholic church, and nothing happens. cowards wont stand up to the blacks ! i thank the blacks for there common sense for standing up to these Peta cowards,and having a backbone !

Posted by: MichaelColeman1 | March 12, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals is going to market CloFu and I know is must be going to taste like "crap". Pass the Mayo please!

Posted by: jimw50 | March 12, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

One of George's favorite recipes:

1 breast of Spotted Owl (preferably, range free)
3 oz. fresh whale oil
2 oz snail Darters

Rub breast liberally with whale and stuffed cavity with Snail Darters...cook outside over a pile Goose feathers until done...

Posted by: gle136 | March 12, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Wow, that's just what the world needs, ass flavored tofu.

Posted by: Joe_1970 | March 12, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Clooney flavored?..must taste like dumb-a$$!

Posted by: libwithiq | March 12, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

"Soylent Green is people!" already. I like "peta" bread sandwiches filled with meat.

Posted by: bobster5 | March 12, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I’d sit down with a glass of wine and a plate full of Clofu any day! Even in the dashing George isn’t quite your flavor, how is this worse than eating animal flesh choc full of antibiotics and feces?

Posted by: GoddessEnvy23 | March 12, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

No thanks....I'll stick to meat and vegetables. I won't waste the eons of evolution it took to reach the top of the food chain and then turn around and eat soy and bean curd.

Posted by: libwithiq | March 12, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

As a part of my ongoing counterprotset against the idiocy of PeTa, whenever PeTa does some stupid stunt, I eat at KFC for Supper. So thank you Ingrid Newkirk. The original recipe I'm going to be eating tonight is being eaten in your honor. (And the great thing about it was that my wife wanted salad tonight)

Posted by: toyguytn | March 12, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

I think peta's idea is original, clever, and fun. George needs to relocate his sense of humor and have fun with this.

And, I think RobertNYC and MichaelColeman1 have some serious anger issues. Maybe you two can get together and beat the crap out of each other.

Posted by: downsouth10 | March 12, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Let's see, previous PETA public stunts have included a rejected Super Bowl ad promoting vegan diets by a voluptuesque woman lap dancing with fruits and vegetables in the produce aisle, and having members dress up as Klu Klux Klansman to protest the Westminster Dog Show as dogploitation. They apparently have long ago crossed the line from their namesake to try and impose their values upon the rest of us, who happen to be omnivores, pet owners and sports fans. If they continue to choose to further marginalize themselves (under their very strange and twisted leadership and creative group), then they will only confirm their irrelevancy. Unfortunate, because their original mission has legitimacy, but they have long ago lost their way.

Posted by: trvr_hffmn | March 12, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

I hear the packaging will be very attractive and the contents will be tasteless. How ironic.

Posted by: erikijohansson | March 12, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Flavor from a towel my rear. Newkirk probably got the idea after giving Cloony a "Clinton".

Posted by: bobhayles | March 12, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

This gives all new meaning to the phrase, "Eat me!"

Posted by: tanstaafl21 | March 12, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

I used to hate TOFU but its delicious when added to a BEEF or CHICKEN stir fry. I don't want essence of George to get in the way of all those yummy meat flavors.

Hmmm. Maybe I'll make Fish of the Land for dinner tonight with a side of Tofu.

Posted by: ehawk09 | March 12, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

I am a member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals) and I am greatly offended they would even consider cannibalism. This is just disgusting. Go eat a cow for Christ sakes.

Posted by: you-dont | March 12, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

I was about to make a reasoned argument about how PETA is run by attention, er, addicts that detract from an important discussion about the humane treatment of animals...but it's much more fun to watch the nutcases come out of the woodwork. Popcorn, anyone? I have butter, olive oil, and salt harvested from Brad Pitt as toppers.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | March 12, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

"People Eating Tasty Animals." That was so CLEVER...in 1995...

Posted by: mayamaya | March 12, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Does it taste like cocktail waitress va-jay-jay?

Posted by: DrPearl | March 12, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

We can call PETA a mental illness now. Right?

I'm sure there is a prescriptive for this.

Posted by: VonVervengarten | March 12, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

"Surely this is an early April Fool's joke? PETA always comes up with something wacky for April Fool's Day" laceymatthews

Yes, I'm sure that's what it is, an April Fools joke just in time for St. Patrick's day.

Let's celebrate with some corned beef.

Posted by: VonVervengarten | March 12, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps Clooney is holding out because he'd prefer the tofu be flavored with a different bodily fluid than his perspiration...

Posted by: Blogger1947 | March 12, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

PETA knows the stuff they suggest is outlandish. Outlandish and gross make headlines. Just watch FOX, reality TV or read the most popular tabloids - enormously successful via shocking stupidity. PETA has produced intelligent, thought provoking books, they've done a multitude of eloquent interviews, made films nobody but martyrs can watch and every possible humane product has been offered to raise awareness. Those who pay attention to their normal promotional efforts are often already members or have something to lose, like their vile factory farms and cosmetic testing labs. How would the average guy who kills deer for fun ever hear the alternate view that animals have emotions and sensations as profound as our own? He hears it when they do crazy stuff. They're not off-beat eccentrics, they're tacticians trying to be heard (on a non-profit budget)in a world that is mostly deaf to the plight of animals. Some of their promotions offend and discourage me - and turn caring people away unfortunately, but I forgive them. They have ended the suffering of millions of creatures and that outweighs a few offended sensibilities.

Posted by: gia2rescue | March 12, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Tofu that tastes like clooney? Must taste like bullshit.

Posted by: jim481 | March 12, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Why? Tofu already tastes like crap.

Posted by: Bummer64 | March 12, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Of course it's a publicity stunt. PETA has nothing to offer but publicity stunts, and Clooney bit ! ! ! But wait.....I've already given them more attention than they deserve........bye..............

Posted by: billbrady1 | March 12, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

As someone who lives in Iowa, I find you people in favor of this retarded. There is no pheces in the skin or meat of the animal. Maybe you should go retake biology. Maybe you can shut up, if people want to eat meat it is their choice. Also, have you ever tasted your sweat? Just because its a famous person doesn't mean it will taste good.

Posted by: Loki_ten | March 12, 2009 11:47 PM | Report abuse

I heard it taste like chicken stir fried in Dapper Dan.

Posted by: rmoorejr30 | March 13, 2009 12:16 AM | Report abuse

Ummm... I'm not sure if I'd appreciate what Clooney "tastes" like.

I'm sure some of you libs can ellaborate, as you must have some personal experience (your jobs probably rely on it). What of it? What does he REALLY taste like? C'mon, don't be shy. You can tell us.

Serenity now, serenity now. Oh, wait.

Posted by: gav8 | March 13, 2009 3:16 AM | Report abuse

How about something in a "Angela Jolie"

Posted by: ezeemoney | March 13, 2009 5:16 AM | Report abuse

What flavor would it be? Sh**

Posted by: RumBandit | March 13, 2009 6:07 AM | Report abuse

I work in Northern Canada, and club baby seals for a living. In my spare time I gain great personal satisfaction by kicking, stomping, and throwing live chickens. It helps tenderize the meat when you eat it. Now clooney flavored tofu?? I got one question.... Does George Clooney taste like chicken?.... How about Obama flavored tofu? Michael Moore flavor?... Streisand flavor?... so many exotic flavors to try. Don't just stop at Clooney.

How about Jennifer Aniston Tofu? I'd buy a months supply to know what she tastes like.... but seriously now... these people are complete nuts! They are totally crazy. If you are against eating meat, fine... don't eat meat! But leave me the F alone! Stay out of my life! stop trying to force me into living the way you want me to live. That is the problem here! Obama voters if I ever seen any.... They know what's best for everyone else.

Posted by: ScottKTX | March 13, 2009 6:32 AM | Report abuse

On second thought...Obama flavor??? who would eat "B.O." tofu? That would be hard to stomach...

Posted by: ScottKTX | March 13, 2009 6:40 AM | Report abuse

Tofu----puke.
George Clooney----puke more.

Posted by: stonebridgejjk | March 13, 2009 7:20 AM | Report abuse

On a daily basis we're bombarded with ubiquitous, multi-billion dollar advertising from fast food restaurants and the tax-subsidized meat and dairy industries pushing their unhealthy , artery-clogging garbage. And people complain that VEGETARIANS are telling them what to eat??!!! PETA doesn't have that kind of budget, so obviously it's doing what it can for publicity.

Humans, like other primates, have long digestive tracts and long, flat molars, which are not suited to a meat-based diet. Put a toddler in close proximity to a rabbit and a piece of fruit and see which one it eats.

Milk is also completely unnatural for a mammal beyond infancy, especially the milk of another species! Any group that is willing to challenge us to think about what we've been brainwashed to eat deserves our attention. MEAT.org

Posted by: ErikC1 | March 13, 2009 7:35 AM | Report abuse

Please, please, please tell me where to sign up to assist with the production and removal of said sweat!

Posted by: overbeyca | March 13, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

i have completely lost all respect for peta after this stunt. first they steal a towel that george clooney uses at a gym.. how low can you get. now they want to waste time and money to clone the sweat that they basically stole from him without his knowledge or pre approval?? this just proves that peta doesnt care about animal rights as much as they are a bunch of stupid nutty women who built a organization to feel better about themselves so they can "save the cute animals". look at their website its mostly rabbits, cute chickens and harp seals. what about ugly cockroaches, arent they worth saving? these people just use this moniker of saving cute animals to feel better about themselves and feel like theyre living more productive lives, in MY OPINION...

Posted by: squinty04 | March 15, 2009 2:57 AM | Report abuse