First Dog Is "Crazy," Says First Lady

First Lady Michelle Obama fields questions at the White House's Take Your Child to Work Day event. (Alex Wong/Getty Images)

Secrets of FiDOTUS revealed! Bo is "crazy," a senior White House official divulged yesterday.

The newly arrived Portuguese water pup "likes to chew on people's feet" and cause commotions. "Oh, he is a crazy dog," the official confirmed.

Uh, wait -- turns out this was all on the record. So we can tell you the canine briefing was delivered by none other than Michelle Obama to a young audience assembled at the White House for the annual Take Your Kids to Work Day, reports our colleague Richard Leiby.

The first lady disclosed that Bo made such a racket the night before that she and the president thought someone was lurking outside their bedroom. "It was just Bo. He was playing with his ball."

The mom in chief fielded questions in the East Room from 170 kids, ages 7 to 14 -- children of White House employees from all levels, including Secret Service and household staff, and Vice President Biden's granddaughter Maisy. First kids Sasha and Malia were not present, possibly because your parents' workplace is less fascinating if you live there.

Under questioning from the children, Obama confided other secrets of White House life.

Does she like cooking for her family?

"I don't miss cooking."

If a major disaster happened, what would she do?

"Well, first of all I'd wake my husband up if it were at night. And I'd tell him, hey, buddy, you're the president, get down to the Oval Office and call some leaders. You know, that's the beauty of my job."

What's the best thing about being first lady? So many things. "I have some problems that I have to deal with, but I get to do the fun stuff."

The worst part? "Maybe it's running on the treadmill."

Later in the day, at the Office of Personnel Management, the first lady said, "I think that was my first official press conference."

By The Reliable Source  |  April 23, 2009; 1:04 PM ET
Categories:  First Family
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Leonardo DiCaprio Works D.C.'s Green Carpet
Next: Hey, Isn't That . . . ?

Comments

The Obama's are great with kids. To bad he's the President of the US and not the director of some day care center. But then again he's probably more comfortable with kids as opposed to world leaders. PATHETIC.

Posted by: askgees | April 23, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

You know, there are some sick folk in this country.

Losers like *askgees* - who is probably unemployed or soon will be - have nothing better to do than make bitter comments and spew their hatred online wherever they can.

Keep it up. See what great things it brings to your miserable existence.

Meanwhile: GO'BAMAS!!! DO ALL THE GREAT THINGS YOU CAN EACH DAY TO TRY TO FIX THIS SCREWED UP COUNTRY - AND DO CONTINUE TO IGNORE THE IGNORANT FEW.

Posted by: shes_cleva | April 23, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

My daughter is there today. I can't wait to hear her talk about it when she gets home. I'm sure she will remember the experience for the rest of her life knowing that the people who live there are still like all of us in many ways.

Posted by: HillRat | April 23, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Why so bitter askgees? Jealous that Obama is president and you're not? Keep up your very busy schedule of posting on the WaPo site and maybe you can someday be as accomplished and well respected as Mr. and Mrs. Obama.

Posted by: SouthernerInDC | April 23, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Ah, yes, the puppy years -- from 8 weeks to 2-4 years depending on breed. Chewed shoes, sock, pillows, rugs, chair legs, table legs, anything in sight especially when teething (puppies have baby teeth they eventually lose). Then there's more chewing to break in the new set of chompers! And -everything- is a toy. Patience, training and lots of exercise help, but you really just have to wait for them to grow up.

Posted by: TwoEvils | April 23, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Keep up the Good Work Mr and Mrs Obama, let all the NEGATIVITY motivate you to do well and more Changes in the white House for the people !

askgees...grow up !

Posted by: SuperObama | April 23, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Who cares? Accomplished and respected? By whom?

Posted by: crowne2 | April 23, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

You know, as a candidate's wife, Mrs. Obama seriously underwhelmed me. I really didn't like the "first time in my adult life I was proud to be an American" or "my husband is stinky and snory remarks."

But, gosh, as a First Lady, she's delightful! Maybe it was just nerves on the campaign trail - being in the national spotlight for the first time and all. Now I see her as a smart, capable, practical woman with a God-given talent for getting along with kids.

Posted by: wapo22003 | April 23, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

If MO wants to do something for children, she might convince her husband to stop his air forces from illegally bombing moms and kids in Pakistan as they sleep, making more terrorists as he unilaterally and illegally wages endless war.

Posted by: georgejones5 | April 23, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

asgee is probably an overgrown kid. I had co-workers like him...very very racist people--can't take it that a black man and woman are in the white house and smarter than they are. Ya gotta love it! God is good!

Posted by: mac7 | April 23, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Yea "shes_cleva" hes doing a great job fixing the (screwed up country) Promoting socialism and the Muslim religion Encouraging gay and bi racial marriage spending trillions of tax payer dollars to promote his democratic agenda ! all while stupid fuks like you sit there with drool running out of your mouth reading irrelevant stories about his dog!

Posted by: dthomas | April 23, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

"I get to do the fun stuff". How about learning grammar, mee-shell? Or are you too busy toning up your arms in order to better arm-wrestle obummer? And WaPo and its alleged 'journalists' drool and slobber over the anti-American racists in the White House that instead of reporting REAL and OBJECTIVE news. It will be no great loss when WaPo joins other liberal rags in bankruptcy.

Posted by: segeny | April 24, 2009 6:13 AM | Report abuse

When I read some of these comments, I just think to myself, "With all that is going on in the world, how can anyone be with the conservative party anymore?" Good god is all I have to say!

Posted by: lingenka | April 24, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Wow, some of these comments are just sort of shockingly ridiculous. Segeny and dthomas--REALLY? You think anything but your racism comes through? Please, for the benefit of yourselves, take a look at your ignorance--if only to learn how to not put it on display in such a public manner. Good Lord, have you no sense of self?

Do you not get that most people (even if they agree with you) probably just say, "oh look, there's segeny and dthomas over there ranting and raving with their foolishness again"

Reading your opinions makes me realize that there are some seriously poisonous people out there.

Posted by: blistex123 | April 24, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

stupid story. leave the lady and her children to live thier family life.has nothing to do what is important in this country.

Posted by: pofinpa | April 24, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse