Another Burger Run for Obama

(Brendan Smialowski/Getty Images))

Just another lunch break at the White House: President Obama today zipped down to the Five Guys burger joint near Nationals Park -- just him, a couple aides, a motorcade's worth of security, the traveling press pool, Brian Williams, and the NBC camera crew that just happened to be trailing him today for a "day-in-the-life" documentary about POTUS.

The president, in shirtsleeves, shelled out at least $80 in cash, according to press-pool observers, to get sandwiches for his entourage and the crew -- including a burger with ketchup and fries for Williams, a cheeseburger with jalapeno, lettuce, mustard and tomato for himself. Chit-chatted with fellow customers, got a group photo with the restaurant staff, took his order out in two large paper bags to go. It's his second burger lunch in recent weeks -- Obama and Joe Biden ventured to Ray's Hell Burger in Arlington. Michelle Obama also visited another Five Guys in D.C. earlier this year.

By The Reliable Source  |  May 29, 2009; 3:16 PM ET
Categories:  Hey, Isn't That...?
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: This Just In . . .
Next: Quoted

Comments

Jalapenos?!? Jalapenos?!? What kind of fascist racist Socialist Communist immigrant sympathizer gets jalapenos on their burger? The nerve of that guy.

Posted by: distance88 | May 29, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Awesome!

Barack is a regualar guy.

The Republinuts are elitists who only eat at Smith's or Milano's.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Yeagh!

Posted by: bs2004 | May 29, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Great to see him getting out into the community, but it is too bad that there is an absolute circus when this happens and traffic gets totally screwed. Does the ENTIRE press pool need to go? Are people so afraid that they are going to miss "the" quote of his Presidency? I guess that it would have been less of a show had Brian Williams and NBC not been there, but still...

Posted by: skipper7 | May 29, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

mmmmm, jalapenos on a burger are goooood!

either distance88's comment needs a "/sarc" at the end of it and its funny, or he needs a kick in the nuts. i'll assume the former.

Posted by: holykemp | May 29, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

I knew he was smart! He couldn't get fries at Ray's, so he went where the fries are awesome. Lucky for him he he has time to work out...

Posted by: fmjk | May 29, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

^ cretins with lame humor above me.

Mmmm, Obama has good taste. Now I'm hungry! I bet the Five Guys ownership is pretty stoked, since between the public being so enamored with Pres. Obama and Five Guys franchises sprouting up all over the US of late, this could only do well for business growth. And may PeTA weep! :P

Posted by: Comunista | May 29, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Just more proof that Obama = Clinton II

Posted by: Potter2 | May 29, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

You see! He is a Socialist/Communist/Anti-Vegetarianist. The President covering the bill is a demonstration of a government takeover. OMFG!!!! Is that Lenin/Marx/Engels in the background???

Posted by: ndalal1 | May 29, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

starting to get like Bill Clinton with the burgers. better watch out.

are you sure it wasn't arugula instead of lettuce on his.

/sarc

Posted by: YUTZ | May 29, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Hey, that's MY Five Guys!

Posted by: hoos3014 | May 29, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Giving him time for his policies to have an affect aside, he does seem to have good taste for burgers. Cheeseburger with jalapenos is just too good when the sweet Scovilles kick in right after the freshness of the crunchy bite. Make my mouth water just thinking about it...

Posted by: shhhhh | May 29, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Good thing for him that Five Guys doesn't offer Dijon.

Posted by: jcmsdaf | May 29, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, holykemp. That was sarcasm. I guess it is getting harder and harder to tell nowadays...

Posted by: distance88 | May 29, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Oh, man, now I'm craving a Five Guys burger and some of their a-mazing fries. Darn you, Mr. President!!

Posted by: ASinMoCo | May 29, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

80.00 nice. Thats my food allowance for over a month for folks on social security. No COLA increases for the next 2 years, Food and other living essentals are conveniently not included in COLA. Enjoy.

Posted by: jefferson63 | May 29, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Heh, heh. went to Ray's last night. But the fries at 5 guys are the best, and I go to the "original" one, at least they claim they're the transplanted 5 guys that was on Glebe and Columbia, yes, the very first one. (Now a Boston Market is there.)

Well, since Obama's hitting all my hamburger joints, will Whitlow's be next?

Posted by: jhtlag1 | May 29, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

A lot more than five guys!

Posted by: Menidia | May 29, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Are Michelle's arms still buff?

Posted by: Tupac_Goldstein | May 29, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Wow, he's just like you and me. I bet he even feels our pain. What a great guy.

Posted by: gattsm | May 29, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

"Awesome!

"Barack is a regualar guy.

The Republinuts are elitists who only eat at Smith's or Milano's.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Yeagh!"

I guess you missed the part about him taking the entire press corps as well as an NBC documentary crew for this totally off-the-cuff, unplanned, and unscripted moment. On the way back, he probably miraculously managed to rescue a basket of kittens from the river and put out a three alarm fire with his natural "cool" -- events loyally captured on film for his All American image. Keep up the good work.

Posted by: zippyspeed | May 29, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Yep, Distance88, I was about to post what I thought was a sarcastic post but then realized that one would probably hear a similar line coming out of a mouth of a Rush listening, Palin loving, Glen Beck idolizing, Fox News Watching republican who actually means and believes it. Oh heck, you probably would hear on Faux News.

Posted by: ualec1 | May 29, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Five Guys is good!!!

Posted by: jpg63 | May 29, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

When is Obama going to get a value menu meal at McDs?

Posted by: hayden1 | May 29, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Who cares???? Just another "look at me me" moment

Posted by: thornegp1 | May 29, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

I happened to have been on the street at the time his motorcade went out for a Hamburger. I have never seen so many police, helicopters overhead and black SUVs. I would imagine that this cost us financially struggling taxpayers thousands upon thousands of hard earned taxpayer's dollars for a frivoulous outing. And the burgers there are truly mediocre. This is truly frivolous and ridiculous. WHy couldn't they just call in for take out?

Posted by: Stevedoro | May 29, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

must suck to have security around all the time... but hey, they got good burgers and i like the image he is projecting, i also liked his toppings. hope he got those great fries. he did not grow up in a rich eastern power family so neocons can quit trying to portray him as a phony, this is what a chicagoan would do, investigate the local burger joint with the great reputation. i miss my italian sausages with onions i grew up with in chicagoland!

Posted by: veroman | May 29, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

He better get the name of Cheney's cardiologist.

Posted by: washpost31 | May 29, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

When is he going to eat some healthy food?

Posted by: chiquita2 | May 29, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

I bet the vegetarians are pissed at Obama now.

Posted by: pgr88 | May 29, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: distance88 | May 29, 2009 3:44
========================================
That's how I have mine. It's good that way, especially since they used fresh sliced jalapenos instead of icky canned ones.

Posted by: ZZim | May 29, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

jefferson63 wrote:
//////////////////////////////
Dear Jeffie: I'm working to pay your benefits and not only have I never gotten COLA in any job I've held since joining the work force in 1968, I got no raise at all this year and am damned glad to have a job. By the way, the folks who served the President his lunch are helping pay your computer access bill too, enabling you to whine about people who are better off (please shut up, I make $14/hr and I don't begrudge Obama his salary), and the publicity for Five Guys helps the economy.
If you want to complain about government salaries, check out the gigantic pension we pay that worthless idiot Bush 43.

Posted by: greyK | May 29, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Go vegetarian. Five Guys is a front for al-Qaeda.

Posted by: squier13 | May 29, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Five Guys is a heartattack in a bag!

Posted by: renod1 | May 29, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm not a huge Obama booster, but I am really glad to see that he and Mrs. Obama are working the city and its surroundings.

So many of the First Families don't reach out and consider themselves citizens of the DC area. That President Obama is making the effort is something I can't really complain about too much.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | May 29, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Who gives a sh-- what this little purple lipped roach eats.

Posted by: birvin9999 | May 29, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

At least he was not sneaking out to see a Monica or Jenifer or bring them in. Also he is a millionaire so maybe he was spending his own money. Also as pointed by another poster..The publicity he provide to this joint.

Posted by: Newshound3 | May 29, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Good to see him out. At least he goes out into DC. Where the heck did "W" ever go besides his "ranch" in Wacko, TX to cut brush? Cutting brush must be code for detoxing. Anywho, I love Five Guys but I haven't been to Five Guys since the rat story came out. I hope Obama's burger was rat dropping free.

Posted by: PepperDr | May 29, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Pity the Pres. I tried 5 Guys burgers. Once. Meat gray and tasteless, with more grease than meat, the 2x2" piece of "lettuce" was limp and greasy, the bun about 1mm thick, fries conveniently served in a closed brown bag to steam them into a limp soggy mass. If this stuff were fed to Gitmo detainees it would be called torture (but they'd probably talk!).

Posted by: threeoaksgone | May 29, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

I hope President Obama keeps doing this sort of thing during his eight years in the White House. If nothing else, it just irks the huber rich WASPs-only DC club members like crazy. I love it!

Maddoff crowd: The fact that President Obama is doing this does NOT mean that you will not get your bail-out money so you can keep eating at the Hilton so relax a bit.

Posted by: luispanagi | May 29, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Notice that Pres. Obama is not off to Camp David every weekend at 11 am on Friday. If he needs a break to not feel too cooped up, then I think going for burgers is an excellent idea. Remember, most of the cost of an outing is a fixed cost, as the staff are on salary and the Secret Service does not run down the street to get a rental Suburban from Avis!!

It's noteworthy that Pres. Obama did something similar in Ottawa, going to the Byward Market near Parliament and buying gifts and maple-leaf shaped cookies before his flight back to Washington.

If he likes Jalapeno on his burgers, that is good; it inspires me to try something other than relish and tomato when I next go out for burgers.

Hope that Pres. Obama and his family have a wonderful weekend and perhaps some fun in the White House pool. When will he have the basketball court installed; I think he deserves it.

Posted by: Beprudent | May 29, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

DidnĀ“t Dick Cheney go to the Five Guys also? I believe the Five Guys trademark is owned by Halliburton.

Correction: Dick Cheney used to go the Five Torture Chambers. Sorry.

And "W" used to go the Five Studges.

Posted by: luispanagi | May 29, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Who do we look towards when someone attacks the trade centers? Bush.

Who do we look towards when we need a good burger? Obama.......hummmm

Posted by: tbd4915 | May 29, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

--------------
Excuse me, I think mustard was the giveaway here, jalapenos make everything taste better.

But MEAT?

Cmon, when does he go for the veggie burgers?

They're doing wonderful things with texturized vegetable protein nowadays, in addition to soy -- cmon, veggie is good for the planet, and it's good for the heart!

Ever see an artery full-up with plaque?

That's a flatline waiting to happen...

Posted by: thegreatpotatospamof2003 | May 29, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

I love that Obama gets out and tries to know the city a little. I love Five Guys and I hope he did too. I thought I was a bored cynical 40 something, but every time I'm walking down the street or in my office and his motorcade goes by, I get so excited. It's so good to be excited to be a Washingtonian again (and good to be proud to be an American again).

Posted by: DWinFC | May 29, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Jalapenos, yummm, Mexico's gift to world cuisine! That burger chain should offer chilpotles as well, they are even tastier. I bet Obama would love those.

Posted by: RichardKefalos | May 29, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Now that is some good STIMULATION of the economy. Glad he's got time to run out to lunch. O-Man is providing change we can believe in. Sure don't recall Jr. running out for $80 worth of charred beef. This is a refreshing alteration of the presidency as we've known it. I am a little worried that all this red meat will have an effect on his health care plan though.

Posted by: TheDubb | May 29, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

THE WASHINGTON POST: "When President Obama and Vice President Biden
stepped out recently for a couple of burgers, pundits and other observers had
a lot to say about the topping each chose. As the rest of the world teased out
the political implications...which was the more nutritious..."

Dressing.........Milk product + vegetable oil + vinegar + seasoning + salt
Sauce.............Animal product (and/or) vegtables + vegetable oil + seasoning + salt
Syrup..............Natural sweetener or high-fructose corn syrup + flavoring
Mustard...........Ground mustard seed + vegetable oil + turmeric + salt
Gravey............Animal (and/or) vegetable fat + refined flour + seasoning + salt
Crispy.............Cereal grain + vegetable oil (and/or) animal fat + heat
Satisfying........Extra cheeeeeeeeeeeese and/or bacon
Crunchy..........Dehydrated corn or potato product + salt
Flavorful..........Extra salt
Natural............Processed plant matter (w/o preservatives or stabilizers)
Beer...............Fermented cereal grains + carbonation
Ice cream........Milk + cream + cane sugar + flavorings + freeze
Cola................Water + sweeteners + caffine + flavoring + coloring + carbonation
Cake/cookie....Refined grain + sugar + eggs + flavoring + baking soda + heat
Icing...............Cane sugar + vegetable oil + food coloring

Posted by: 4to125characters | May 29, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

When the heck is Obama going to get over to the Good Stuff Eatery?

First off, of all the DC burger joints, they are the only one to have named a burger after the POTUS.

Secondly, it's one of two truly DC based burger joints. Here we have the President saying he wants to be more involved in DC, yet he keeps frequenting chains not from here. That's lame.

Five guys is a chain based out of VIRGINIA and let's face it, their food is gross.

Rays is also a VIRGINIA burger joint.

The only two true DC burger places are Bens "Barely passes health inspection" Chili Bowl and the Good Stuff Eatery.

Posted by: nwrepresent1 | May 29, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Five Guys has had a very good week!

In the President's home town of Chicago, Five Guys was said to have the best french fries in the city.

Posted by: Dannoday | May 29, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: distance88

What kind of boring burger guy are you? Any real American, whose for those artery clogger, heart attack inducing, knows in America you go for the works, which sometimes is beyond the standard works of lettuce and tomato and raw onions.

Posted by: bflaherty5 | May 29, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Who cares what the dumba$- eats? He and his band of incompetents are screwing the people. All you weak minded class envy nitwits who elected him will wake up one day and realize just how stupid you are.

Posted by: LarryG62 | May 29, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Hope he got the small fries and is planning to share. To much for one person to eat.

Posted by: zackool | May 29, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

When is the President going to hit Elevation Burger? Great fries and some interesting toppings. I like Five Guys a lot, but I got jalepenos there once, and I think they were raw and fresh, which mean all I tasted was pepper - not spicy, just peppery. Jalepenos need a little "treatment" before their full flavor is realized. When I grill, I like to throw some good peppers on the grill for a few minutes before chopping them up and putting them on a burger. Alternatively, you can chop them and then put them on some foil on the grill. If I really have time and don't mind the extra cleaning, sometimes I'll mince up the peppers, saute them a bit, then mix them into the meat when I make the patties. Elevation Burger has a hot pepper "relish" that is awfully tasty.

Posted by: noybizz | May 29, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Love how these section 8 workers all crumble in front on the great Messiah, thinking that somehow he's one of them. lol

Bet Obama is disappointed Five Guys didn't have Kobe burgers.

Posted by: cschotta1 | May 29, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

The Five Guys fries are indeed awesome in theory, but they need to be better about filtering the grease. Too often the fries are darker than they should be and too greasy. It's not that easy but McDonald's does it all the time.

Posted by: Tojo1 | May 29, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

There's also BGR Joint in Bethesda. The chili burger is out of this world.

And the anti-Obama posters are out of their minds.

Posted by: bs2004 | May 29, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Five Guys. The best!

Posted by: zen99 | May 29, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

for the record, shouldn't Brian Williams have declined the burger from the guy he is supposed to be covering?

you know, ethically speaking and all...

Posted by: apockiwi | May 29, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

What? No Waygu beef? King Obama visiting his subjects and getting a photo op?

Hey King, how about taking some burgers out to the guys at Bethesda or Walter Reed Medical Centers'?

Naw, "Royals" don't mix with the "common folk" unless you're Queen Elizabeth or her extended family.

Go out there and suck-up for the photo-op.

Posted by: Computer_Forensics_Expert_Computer_Expert_Witness | May 29, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

obama just found a job he is good at...

Posted by: dwightcollinsduarte@yahoo.com | May 29, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

no matter what he ordered some of you sore losers would have something to say.also, it is not his fault williams and the entire press corps wanted to follow him, it's great that he gets out sometimes for whatever he chooses to do. you don't stay in your house all and night do you? and those of you who claim not to care what he ordered, me thinks you protest too much. you just submit a decent candidate in 8 years, and we'll talk.

Posted by: ninnafaye | May 29, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Some of you should cut Obama a break. Try to imagine what it's like to go from your normal life to where he is now at? Yes it can be difficult dealing with the security and news people following him around but I'd think he needs to get out once in a while around "normal" people. Maybe it helps him cope to order a burger himself once in a while, a little empathy goes a long way.

Posted by: datdamwuf2 | May 29, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Actually I think Michelle Obama went to Good Stuff on Capitol Hill.. which is kind of like a gourmet Five Guys..

Posted by: john65001 | May 29, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

I bet the vegetarians are pissed at Obama now.

Posted by: pgr88 | May 29, 2009 4:49 PM

___________________________________

Nah.

Unlike Republicans, we don't try to force our opinons and lifestyle on the rest of humanity.

Posted by: pali2600 | May 29, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Busy guy. Nominate a blatant racist to the SCOTUS, bail out a few bankers, swing by 5 guys with a motorcade for the TV Photo Op. Wow. He's still Arugula Guy.

Posted by: mmmmmmmmm | May 29, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Jalapenos on a burger is weird? In Australia he could of gotten pineapple, beetroot and for the cholesterol challenged a fried egg too.

Posted by: jl_shaver | May 29, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Obama is a real man.

While Cheney hunts birds (and misses, hitting his buddy), and Bush hunts brush with a weedwhacker, Obama shoots consistent three pointers, has a pretty wife and cute kids, can actually dance, and eats regular guy food.

Obama is not only a great president, but a regular straight guy. The Republicans should try that sometime.

Posted by: michaelfairbanks | May 29, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

It must be a really boring Friday; so many people has time to comment on Obama's choice for lunch! The comments that I read were my laugh for the day.
Obama is a man of the people; he is alright with me.

Posted by: cej62107 | May 29, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

The country is in an economic criss and Barry stops work for several hours and takes his staff who are paid with our tax dollars away from their jobs for several hours to go on a $5,000 burger run. Now that sounds like some who is really looking out for your tax dollar. way to go Barry, all of your mugging to feed your ego is really costing the american tax payer a lot of money. Oh thats right Americans money is your money to spend as you please. Thanks Barry

Posted by: imrooster | May 29, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

i think this is the very first time a president has gone out of the white house to eat at a burger joint

Posted by: umarkhan06 | May 29, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Hey Micheal, I hope you don't hurt yourself once you wake up and realize what a sorry excuse for a man let alone President that you were so in love with has taken all your rights away except the right to pay higher taxes. It is funny How Bill Clinton and Barry O bama can look you ignorant democrates in the eye and out right lie to you and you believe them. Barry was trying his scare tacktic on you poor soles yesterday by saying if health reform is not done by the end of the year it can never be done. This idiot does not care whats in the Bill as long as he can be on tv and put his x on a piece of paper to fool you guys again and make himself look good only in your eyes. Oh yeah he does have one cute daughter but his wife and the other girl are hidious

Posted by: imrooster | May 29, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Jalapenos on his burger is still WAY BETTER -- and more real -- than Hillary doing shots of Crown Royal during the campaign.

Posted by: DoreDad | May 29, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Obama fiddles while American burns.

I am just so impressed.

Posted by: bandmom22 | May 29, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Five Guys, good choice Mr. President!

Posted by: peterroach | May 29, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

GREYK//// While you were having your diapers changed I was out there busting my b----. Paying social security for your parents and I worked for 50 years, If your only capable of making 14 dollars an hour thats your problem. Go back to school and make something of yourself. Then when your 70 lets see how you shoot your mouth of and make an a-- of your self.
What were you doing in 1966 when the VC was trying to blow my head off?

Posted by: jefferson63 | May 29, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

What's the carbon footprint for this little photo op?

Does a day ever go by that Obama does NOT have a photo op, speech, public appearance?

Posted by: aphor | May 29, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

greyk wrote:
I'm working to pay your benefits ... the folks who served the President his lunch are helping pay your computer access bill ... and the publicity for Five Guys helps the economy.
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
You don't know if the folks who served the President his lunch are even reporting their income, working here legally, taking jobs from a citizen, or paying any taxes, because this administration doesn't enforce employment or immigration laws. The economy wasn't helped when the motorcade blocked access for other people to get to their destinations, either. Sure, the President is entitled to this outing and I hope he enjoyed his lunch, but that's no reason to slam another poster who is struggling to get by on the SS that he paid into and is now entitled to recoup. That gentleman deserves a nice meal as well as President Obama. To jefferson63, thanks for serving and I'm glad you made it home safely.

Posted by: Voter4Integrity | May 30, 2009 12:41 AM | Report abuse

Not living in WDC so could care very little about the traffic . . . but I have - at 9th & M NW and I have to ask - how is traffic all that different from when he's out that when he's not? You've gotta admit that place is stupid crazy traffic-wise ALL THE TIME!!! And to be fair, this is the man's home too. Not only his home, but uhm, his new home - his city - the President lives in The Capital City. Be dam*ed glad it ain't Korea!!

Posted by: Kimberly2601 | June 2, 2009 8:32 AM | Report abuse

What did this little outing cost the taxpayers.

Obama is so about being a celebrity.

Why not order takeout and work at your desk....

Posted by: ngg426 | June 5, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse