David Cook Announces Brother's Death at D.C. Cancer Fundraiser

David Cook at the Race for Hope 5K in D.C. on Sunday. (Courtesy of Cassidy Pinkard and Colliers) (Source)

Reigning "American Idol" champ David Cook stunned the crowd at today's Race for Hope 5K in downtown D.C. by announcing his brother died the night before of a brain tumor -- the cause that got him involved in the annual fundraiser.

Adam Cook, 36, a lawyer with a wife and children, had battled the tumor for more than a decade before dying in Terre Haute, Ind. David Cook joined 9,000 other runners this morning -- finishing the 3.1 mile course in 28 minutes, he later said -- before taking the stage. This year's race, the 12th annual, raised $2 million for brain cancer research.

"I couldn't imagine being anywhere else right now," Cook said, getting briefly choked up and wiping away tears. "I've lost one but I've gained 9,000 ..... I will be here every year that they will have me." (See a video of his speech here.)

By The Reliable Source  |  May 3, 2009; 5:57 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: At First Lady's Luncheon, Timeless Touches
Next: Love, Etc.

Comments

I attended the Race today and was impressed by the love and kindness he showed the brain tumors survivors before the race. David is a class act and totally unaffected by the fame of his American Idol win.

Posted by: jmsmith1 | May 3, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Wow! I applaud his commitment to the fundraiser. He could have easily backed out because of his loss. My condolences go out to his family.

Posted by: anah | May 3, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

As they said at the Race for Hope, David's heart is even bigger than his voice. His kindness and authenticity as well as his beautiful voice, are part of the reason that so many - from teeny boppers to Meredith Viera to Hillary Clinton - have been Cookified. David's song "Permanent," which he wrote about his brother, is beautiful music for the soul of anyone who loves someone who is suffering.

Posted by: annieb346 | May 4, 2009 12:34 AM | Report abuse

My thoughts and prayers are with the Cook Family. May God hold them in the hollow of his hands.

Posted by: collette0779 | May 4, 2009 1:22 AM | Report abuse

If anyone would like information on how to donate to Adam Cook's family to help with their medical expenses, please go to http://fanssupportadamcook.com.

My heart goes out to the Cook family. I am amazed at how strong and brave they all are. I was very touched by David's astounding bravery and determination to be a part of this race this morning in the face of such personal tragedy.

Posted by: nycwoman | May 4, 2009 2:49 AM | Report abuse

Wow i rele am suprised usually stars, singers, actors, ect ect are rele rude and stuck up at ppl who accoplish things like suvivors from brain cancer when his brother didn't but then again David Cook was never like that.I am very sorry about his loss my condolences go out to his family.R.I.P Adam!!!!!!!!

Posted by: maryalicebrandonalicecullen | May 4, 2009 5:40 AM | Report abuse

David,
My deepest sympathy to you and your family.
Your brother must have been really proud of you and what you have achieved. The best American Idol....

Posted by: christina51 | May 4, 2009 5:47 AM | Report abuse

David Cook is a real hero in bringing attention to this terrible disease and amazing fundraising effort. Most important, the core group of people who began this race nine years ago, with nothing but a dream, are heroes too and need to be recognized and applauded for doing so very much to change the world. All lost someone they loved and turned their loss into action. Next year, we should all be there!

Posted by: carolineC1 | May 4, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse