Elizabeth Edwards Talks to Oprah: Relationship "Complicated"

Oprah Winfrey with Elizabeth, John and Emma Claire Edwards at the Edwards home in Chapel Hill, N.C. (Harpo Productions Inc. via AP)

"You know, that's a complicated question."

-- Elizabeth Edwards in response to Oprah Winfrey asking if she's still in love with her husband, according to an advance transcript of Thursday's broadcast given to the Associated Press. Also, confirms she and John are still together, sort of: "Neither one of us is out the door so I guess it's day by day, but maybe it's month by month." Speculates that he was attracted to Rielle Hunter -- who, under the terms of the interview, neither Edwards nor Winfrey name by name -- because she was "so different." Says she has no idea if he's the father of Hunter's daughter, but notes the baby doesn't look like any of their own kids.

By The Reliable Source  |  May 5, 2009; 11:23 AM ET
Categories:  Quoted
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fair Use? Tell That to the Judge
Next: DMC: Raising, Um, Awareness in D.C.

Comments

It would be pretty simple for her to find out if it is his kid: DNA test.

Sorry, I lost all respect for this woman when she went through the ruse to get her husband elected. Now she's trying to profit off of it through a book.

And in order to not suffer more public humiliation, they are going to pretend the child is not his. I feel sorry for the offspring of this duo.

Posted by: sasha_206 | May 5, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

It seems that the previous poster has no compassion. The woman has stage IV metastatic breast cancer. She most likely has a few years or less to live. What should she do, die while going through a divorce? There aren't any good choices here. And, it makes me sick to think that her husband has put her in this ugly situation. But, it takes a lot of courage to not become mired in your anger and instead to look at the situation as a whole. Her health very well may be the reason she is trying to keep the family together, so that she and her children can try to live as normal a life as possible for as long as they can.

Posted by: SweetieJ | May 5, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Please Elizabeth, keep it to yourself. Your husband is a liar and a crook. You cannot explain the facts away.

Posted by: Peejay | May 5, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I have compassion for her cancer but I don't respect the way she handled the spectacle. I don't care that she is keeping the family together, but I don't respect her for going through the election cycle knowing full well of the scandal in her husband's closet. It could have seriously damaged the Democratic Party's chance at winning. I also think her non-answer on paternity speaks volumes. Shame on them.

Posted by: sasha_206 | May 5, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

A moment of sympathy for the Edwards children, who not only have to endure their mother's terminal illness, but also the public spectacle of his adultery and their mother's ruthless revenge (not that I blame her, because I'd do the same thing if I were in her shoes).

Posted by: WashingtonDame | May 5, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

He was attracted to Rielle Hunter because she is hot, young, blonde and not his wife. I'm not justifying his behavior, but he's a man for crying out loud. Dumb question, O.

Posted by: RambleOn | May 5, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I suspect she has written this book because she knows she may not live to see her kids grown and she wanted to leave them a record, if they want it, of what his actions did to her. This whole mess is heartbreaking for everybody involved.

Posted by: redbirdpublishing1 | May 5, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Don't get me wrong. I feel terribly sorry for the issues she has had to face with the loss of her teenage son, cancer, and her cheating husband. But I find it hard to believe that this is to leave a record for her kids but rather to try to salvage her reputation when she went along with it.

Posted by: sasha_206 | May 5, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

The public complained that Hillary stood by Bill during Monicagate and didn't divorce him. Now they're complaining about Elizabeth Edwards speaking up about her husband's infidelity?

Could the public please call a meeting and decide exactly how they'd like the spouses of prominent people to handle infidelity?

Maybe Elizabeth is just saying out loud what she knows millions of other spouses go through every year. Maybe she's hoping some public shame will encourage future up-and-coming politicians to keep their pants zipped. Consider it public service.

Posted by: trichobezoar | May 6, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse