Ron Paul Fans Are Dating Themselves

Young Ron Paul supporters in Minneapolis for the Republican national convention last summer. Are they on RonPaulSingles.com yet? (Ricky Carioti/The Washington Post)

Are you a small-government patriot looking for love? ISO that special libertarian somebody who enjoys red wine, laughter, walking on the beach and upholding the U.S. Constitution?

Well, you're in luck: The Ron Paul Revolution has hit online dating.

The Republican congressman from Texas, whose libertarian insurgency enlivened the 2008 presidential race, is the inspiration behind the new Web dating service RonPaulSingles.com. "We put the LOVE in Revolution," the site proclaims.

Ron Paul, Doctor of Love (Bizuayehu Tesfaye/Bloomberg News)

While the online dating industry long ago spawned niches for certain ideologies or other affinities, this was the first site we'd heard of based on a specific politician. But Paul was no ordinary long-shot candidate; the fervor of his young followers pushed him further than his paltry name-recognition and campaign funds would predict. Paul has no involvement in the Web site, but sounded kind of tickled by the whole thing in an e-mail exchange with our colleague Mary Ann Akers.

"I never thought I'd speak to crowds of 5,000 college kids chanting 'End the Fed' and burning Federal Reserve notes, so I guess nothing surprises me that much anymore," Paul wrote to Akers. "I suppose it's all about Freedom bringing people together -- spiritually, politically, and now, romantically. ... And, I've always been sympathetic to the slogan 'make love, not war.'"

As of Sunday, the site featured nearly 200 profiles from singles across the country, more than three-quarters of them (check it out, ladies!) from men.

Cael51 describes himself as a "freedom loving government teacher," age 29, while Californio, 26, declared "anyone that loves Ron Paul is implicitly awesome in my book." Chrisforliberty posted a photo of himself with Michael Badnarik, the 2004 Libertarian candidate for president. Atxgrrl loves "cats, camping, Christians, family and liberty," hates "living in a city surrounded by liberals."

There's a "freedom loving guy looking to take his country back and looking for a nice lady to join me in that battle." Maybe he'll click with ladyliberty, who wants "to meet another freedom-loving, libertarian-minded patriot that is as equally demanding of economic AND personal liberty. I'm in this fight for the long haul."

By The Reliable Source  |  July 20, 2009; 1:03 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 'Real World' Producer Ruins Glory's Day
Next: Something's Cookin' at the White House

Comments

lol

I love the title of the article: RON PAUL FANS ARE DATING THEMSELVES.

Yep.

I'd say they all date themselves back to between the 13th and 18th centuries :)

Posted by: martsmart | July 20, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

This must be embarassing for you.

Posted by: AinATL | July 20, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

That's funny! Good for them though.

Posted by: LittleRed1 | July 20, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

"Um, martsmart, the Constitution was written in the 18th century (horror of horrors!) and it is still in effect, last I checked.

This must be embarassing for you."

AinATL:

What must be embarrassing?

???

Oh, well...

You'll figure it out.

Or you won't.

Whatever.

Posted by: martsmart | July 20, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I think this dating site sounds great! Its really tough trying to meet people who aren't all about what the mainstream capitalist culture is force feeding them (iphones or John & Kate or Michael Jackson - not to mention Genetically Modified Food and untested swine flu vaccines.) So when you finally get to chat with a person who understands why the US Dollar is about to implode and why the Federal Reserve SHOULD be shut down. Its really awesome. Heck I'd hold hands with someone for just for mentioning "Building 7" at this point.

Posted by: DagnyT2 | July 20, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

While it is nice to know that liberatarians and Constitutionalist followers of Congressman Ron Paul are dating EACH OTHER--not "themselves", as this rather superficial, if not simpleminded column by Roxanne and Amy would suggest, I should think that it is far more important to readers of the Washington Post that Congressman Paul is the chief sponsor of a long overdue bill HR-1207 (that now has over 270 co-sponsors) which provides for a first time audit of a secretive, unaccountable, and often destructive Federal Reserve.

The well being of all of us, whether we date other libertarians or not, will depend upon how thorough an independent audit of the Fed is carried out, with a goal of terminating this engine of inflation and economic dislocation, and replacing it with a source of sound and honest money and credit NOT subject to political and banking manipulation, and their horrifying consequences, hyperinflation or a worse depression than the '30s!

PEACE AND FREEDOM!!
David K. Meller

Posted by: dkmeller1953 | July 21, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

The WaPo, like the rest of the elite media can't resist poking fun at and dismissing those of us who support the one politician in America who really knows what's going on, hence the headline- that we are "dating ourselves". I'd rather find a like-minded soulmate than be with someone who believes the crap we have been fed for too long now.

Posted by: gouZgounis | July 23, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse