All in a Knot Over Chelsea's Plans

Chelsea Clinton (Jim Lo Scalzo/Bloomberg News)

Is Chelsea Clinton marrying longtime beau Marc Mezvinsky later this month on Martha's Vineyard -- or not? Absolutely not, according to the Clinton camp.

For the past three months, persistent rumors and published reports have said the former first daughter, 29, and her investment banker boyfriend, 31, were planning a wedding on the exclusive Massachusetts island -- probably at the summer home of longtime family friends Ted Danson and Mary Steenburgen.

Chelsea Clinton talks with Marc Mezvinsky, then a friend, in Hilton Head, S.C., in December 1996. (Stephen Jaffe REUTERS)Enlarge Image

Clinton family reps denied the reports, noting that the couple are not even engaged. Hillary Clinton weighed in last month to Fox News: "There is no truth to that. I keep reading it, and we keep saying, 'It's not true, it's not true.' But for some reason it doesn't go away." Last week Danson told reporters, "I have no idea -- I'm not being coy -- how that rumor started, but not true." And Bill Clinton's spokesman, Matt McKenna, told us Wednesday: "As we have said repeatedly, these rumors are completely false."

And yet ... the Reliable Source has learned:

• Chelsea has been looking at wedding invitations.
  • Mezvinsky was spotted shopping for rings.
  • A Washington couple let slip that they've been invited to Chelsea's wedding this month -- then clammed up.

All this could add up to something ... or nothing. "I understand why staff would deny because they want to protect Chelsea's privacy -- that's something we always have done," said Neel Lattimore, Hillary Clinton's former spokesman, who said he doesn't know if the speculation is true or not.

But if Chelsea wanted to pull off a wedding without guests, vendors and friends being hounded by reporters, what would she say? (Remember JFK Jr. and Carolyn Bessette's 1996 surprise ceremony? Everyone was sworn to secrecy.) Chelsea's always been notoriously private; on the campaign trail for her mother's presidential bid, she turned down all media requests -- even one with a fourth-grader: "I'm sorry, I don't talk to the press and that applies to you."

One other puzzle piece: President Obama and his family are renting a place on the Vineyard just down the road from the Danson-Steenburgen place -- which means no paparazzi helicopters hovering overhead. When? The fourth week of August.

By The Reliable Source  |  August 6, 2009; 1:04 AM ET
Categories:  Chelsea Clinton wedding
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lovebirds No Longer
Next: Hey, Isn't That . . . ?

Comments

Thanks for the info. I better rent a place quickly on the Vineyard. I'm sure Chelsea will invite me, I've seen her on TV since she was going to Sidwell.

Come on, let her have a private wedding if she wants to. If it is not happening then you are misguided lovable fools.

Posted by: anonie | August 6, 2009 12:22 AM | Report abuse

Wasn't sure when I saw the front page link whether this story was about Chelsea the Clinton or Chelsea the football team, so I clicked on the link.

I'm sure glad it was about Chelsea the Clinton, as Chelsea the football team are just a bunch of spoilt , "I could give a toss what goes on in the lives of those three crybabys, Lampard, Terry and Drogba," well, crybabys.

Do you get the sarcasm, WaPo?

Why don't you print the rubbish stories in the print version where people actually have to pay for it?

The online version is free, so why on God's green (well, brown actually) earth would I want to read this crap?

Posted by: thetroubleboys | August 6, 2009 12:39 AM | Report abuse

I don't really care if she is marrying the fellow or not, I was just happy for the chance to see another photo of this beautiful woman.

Posted by: familynet | August 6, 2009 4:37 AM | Report abuse

save your readers the stories on chelsea...
nobody cares...
no stories on chelsea is good news for America...

Posted by: DwightCollins | August 6, 2009 6:59 AM | Report abuse

They have known each other since 1996. If it was going to happen it would have by now.

Posted by: Bitter_Bill | August 6, 2009 7:19 AM | Report abuse

I hope that if Chelsea is getting married, that she has a happy wedding. She is a fine young woman who deserves every good thing.

Posted by: limpscomb | August 6, 2009 7:52 AM | Report abuse

How dare you post these pictures of Chelsea. Don't you people know you should not cover presidential kids? I sure hope you ran this by the Clintons; didn't a restaurantuer in NYC get sued for having a pic of Chelsea hanging on his wall of fame? You people are worse than MSNBC. For shame!

Posted by: steelers_rule123 | August 6, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I love it ... getting the Prez to create a no-fly zone over a potential wedding spot. Remember the seven helicopters over Sean Penn and Madonna's wedding? That made me sick. TMZ needs to be de-funded and shut down.

Posted by: bs2004 | August 6, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

I got an invitation to the wedding.

Going to clam up now and not say another word.

Posted by: Ellvee | August 6, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Por que no dejarla en paz? Que ella viva su vida como quiera.

Why don't you leave her alone? Let her live her life the way she wants to.

Posted by: Lhh3239 | August 6, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Hmmm, little bitty meat...?

Posted by: SoCali | August 6, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

But I guess hypocrisy doesn't apply to the privileged few.

Posted by: RambleOn | August 6, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Roxie & Amy: Please tell me, what do you two do for a living?

Posted by: IpiTombi | August 6, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

"The problem with the idea of protecting C. Clinton's "privacy" is that she has established herself as a public figure. Once she came out and made public appearances on behalf of her mom, she was no longer off limits."

No creo que tengamos derecho a saber todo lo que hace sólo porque es figura pública.

I don't think we have the right to know everything she does just because she's a public figure.

"But of course she didn't seem to understand that given her treatment of the media, and that one time she replied "None of your business!" to a very reasonable question by college student in a town hall campaign forum."

¡Ojalá Bill Clinton hubiera dicho lo mismo al principio de la tontería de Monica Lewinsky! Nunca hubiéramos tenido ocho años de George W. Bush.

If only Bill Clinton had said the same thing at the beginning of the Monica Lewinsky nonsense! We never would have had eight years of George W. Bush.

Posted by: Lhh3239 | August 6, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Many of the previous commenters are pulling off a douzy of a Palin (because they saw Chelsea Clinton on TV - one must only conclude that they all are the closest of friends and absolutely sure to receive that invite... no doubt. Me, me, me, me too!

You're very special, unlike Sarah Palin... admit it !

Posted by: danglingwrangler | August 6, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

I think Hillary looks thinner -- definately in mother-of-the-bride mode!

Posted by: newsgirl64 | August 6, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

fr RambleOn:

>...But of course she didn't seem to understand that given her treatment of the media, and that one time she replied "None of your business!" to a very reasonable question by college student in a town hall campaign forum.<

Ms. Clinton is a VERY intelligent young lady, and for you to say that she "didn't seem to understand that given her treatment of the media..." is completely untrue. The "college student" needed to know that they were asking a VERY inappropriate question, and they found out, very quickly.

Privilege has nothing to do with it. Ms. Clinton was raised with manners and grace, unlike the bush brats, who played "duck the Secret Service and get drunk with FAKE ID's", and it shows.

Posted by: Alex511 | August 6, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alex511 | August 6, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse
-----------
"VERY Inappropriate" perhaps to you. But many of us felt the question (did the Lewinsky affair reflect negatively on Hillary's credibility) was a fair one, given that Hillary (1) supported a cheating husband, and (2) supported an American President who lied and was therefore impeached. Just what is so "inappropriate" about that? And the media had a field day with this, if you recall.

Now if Chelsea felt that the question was too personal, or if it struck a nerve, she could merely answer that she didn't have an opinion as to how this affected her mom's credibility, or that she didn't feel like the issue was a relevant one, and move on. But her sharp "I don't think it's any of your business" was condescending and childish -- do people even say the phrase "none of your business" after elementary school?

And let's not get into partisan bickering either. I thought the Bush twins antics were childish as well.

Posted by: RambleOn | August 6, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

fr RambleOn:

>...But her sharp "I don't think it's any of your business" was condescending and childish -- do people even say the phrase "none of your business" after elementary school?<...

Yes, and in this case, it was completely warranted.

Posted by: Alex511 | August 6, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Alex, sure, it would be out of bounds if the student asked if the Lewinsky affair affected Hillary's emotional stability or her ability as a mother or something along those lines that are personal issues that only Chelsea would have knowledge of. Absolutely would be inappropriate. And perhaps Chelsea misunderstood the question as one of a personal nature, when many of us don't see it as such.

But the question was about Hillary's CREDIBILITY. What about that do you not understand? We're talking about someone who was running for President who supported an impeached President. Credibility is absolutely an issue. Regardless of President Clinton's popularity, he will always be known as the second President to be impeached, and Hillary did little as candidate to distance herself from this.

The problem for Chelsea is that her answer "I don't think it's any of your business" didn't really answer the question, and actually implies that she does have something to hide with regard to the subject. Regardless of what you think of the question, it was a bad answer, and I'm sure Chelsea was subsequently coached on how better to deal with this.

Chelsea missed an opportunity in my opinion to knock this out of the park if she had answered, "No, I don't think it has affected her credibility, because she's demonstrated her commitment to family, blah blah blah" or something along those lines and that would have been the end of it.

And Chelsea's response to the elementary school reporter -- I mean come on, Chelsea, have a heart!

Posted by: RambleOn | August 6, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Marc Mezvinsky's father is a former member of Congress who went to prison for fraud.

Posted by: buffysummers | August 6, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure Chelsea is oh so glad you used THAT photo (that's for not inviting me, beeyotch!)

Posted by: menckenmensch | August 6, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse