Pentagon correspondent Jennifer Griffin's own battle: breast cancer

Jennifer Griffin at Wednesday night's Cause gala. (Michael Domingo)

If there's anyone who has the right to use some gallows humor, it's a former war correspondent. And if there's anyone who has the right to laugh, it's a roomful of veterans.

Jennifer Griffin, Pentagon correspondent for Fox News, was diagnosed just six weeks ago with Stage 3 breast cancer. She's been off the air ever since but ventured out Wednesday night to serve for her third year as emcee at a fundraising gala for Cause, which supports wounded veterans.

Soooo, she told the room, "as you've heard, I have a tumor that's growing faster than an al-Qaeda cell in Somalia."

The dinner crowd of 400 at Mellon Auditorium -- which included Gens. David Petraeusand James Cartwright, Veterans Affairs Secretary Eric Shinseki and NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, and several war-wounded troops -- got the joke, all right, and laughed warmly.

Griffin, 40, told us she discovered a nine-centimeter lump in September, just as she was weaning 8-month-old Luke. (She's married to NPR Morning Edition editor Greg Myre; they also have two girls, 6 and 8.) It's a fast-moving kind of cancer known as triple-negative, which mostly attacks young women; she's now undergoing an aggressive course of chemo before surgery. The Alexandria native (disclosure: a friend from high school) looked radiant and glamorous Wednesday with one of her new you-wouldn't-know-it's-a-wig wigs -- which, as she told the room, her doctor referred to as "a cranial prosthetic."

She said she rather liked that phrase. "Some of the best people I've met in my life have prosthetics," she said, citing reporting trips to Walter Reed.

Cause, a fast-growing organization founded in 2003 by four West Point '67 classmates and their wives, also enlisted Segway inventor Dean Kamen to speak. Kamen, now at work on a sophisticated new kind of robotic arm, described his time testing his creation with vets at Walter Reed. "We weren't going there to give them support and encouragement," he said. "They were giving it to us."

By The Reliable Source  |  November 12, 2009; 4:30 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Read this: Happy the hippo, Taylor Swift, Lou Dobbs, Barbara Kingsolver, Dan Snyder's 'henchman'
Next: This just in: Mike Tyson's alleged paparazzo punch-out

Comments

I may be a liberal, but I think I'm speaking for everyone in the US here. Get well soon Jennifer!

Posted by: ajr32 | November 12, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

So very Sorry to hear about her diagnosis, its even dimmer with the use of Chemo and possible radiation....I hope she investigates other treatment options, before these poisons kill her (note I didn't say the cancer).

Posted by: Pstacy | November 12, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Very big of you, ajr32, even though you're a Dummycrat, you send your best wishes to Jennifer. Right or Left, cancer is cancer and had you left your political affiliation to yourself, it would have been more acceptable.

Posted by: marine2211 | November 12, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Sad that marine2211 had to compound the error of ajr32 by interjecting his own angry bit of politics into what should be an apolitical topic...shame on him.

Posted by: taylorb1 | November 12, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: marine2211 | November 12, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Try taking your own advice, hypocrite.

Posted by: dfc102 | November 12, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

As usual, these comments are way off the beaten track. Get real people, she has stage 3 breast cancer. Barring a miracle, she probably doesn't have much longer to live and will leave three small children.

My sister-in-law had stage 3 triple-negative and lasted less than a year. She was only 41.

Posted by: mortified469 | November 12, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Jennifer, don't give up hope. We all hope you can beat this thing.

As an aside - since most of us only "know" you from TV - I've always been impressed with your reporting. As someone who has watched a LOT of cable news from across *all* spectrums, I can say honestly that you were always a class act and a professional.

Posted by: scoob1900 | November 12, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Thanks to Ms. Griffin for setting aside her personal illness to help support our wounded veterans. Too bad some use the occasion to espouse their own political views.

Posted by: esdean | November 12, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

God bless, Jennifer. Keep fighting and we'll keep you in our prayers.

The Bear

Posted by: jnsbear | November 12, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Best of luck to you, Lady.

Now go BEAT that thing!

--a Fox News Hater Who Wishes You the Best

Posted by: angelos_peter | November 12, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Jennifer Griffin - ""as you've heard, I have a tumor that's growing faster than an al-Qaeda cell in Somalia.""

Correction - "" as you've heard, I have a tumor that's growning faster than the cell of heroic fighters in Somalia, who are fighting to stop the toxic pollutants being dumped off their coast and harming their health and their livelihood by Western Countries""

"My children soon will be without thier Mother, just like those countless children we have orphaned in Iraq, Afghanistan."

"I apologize for the death of our Soldiers whom our Networks have fooled into believing that they died fighting for our Country(in other Sovereign Countries not our Country at all), and most of all I apologize to all the wounded and maimed Veterans who are forgotten in many obscure hospital wards, and are the living deads - unable to live a fully normal lives. I appeal and dare those that are exploiting the maimed Veterans to donate all income from their Product Patents on "new kind of robotic arm" to the family of these Veterans(without any deduction"

Lastly, I apologize to the family of Maj.Hasan, who acted out of frustration at the System, and our Network false reporting have have contributed to his action by "rubbing salt into their wounded moral views".

Madame Jennifer Griffin, I respect your Job and your Career - which provides you and your family with a comfort in this world; I pray that the least you could do before going back to your Creator and the Afterlife is to Repent. It might give you a peaceful exit.

Amen.

Posted by: mindanao786 | November 13, 2009 1:08 AM | Report abuse

mindanao786 = Assclown

Posted by: flgrad | November 13, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Best wishes to her. My younger sister has survived the very same cancer with chemo, radiation, and surgery.

Posted by: ElmiraOregon | November 13, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

mindanao786...Ditto

ElmiraOregon...I am very happy for your sister. I hope you are keeping close tabs on your own breast health.

Posted by: mortified469 | November 14, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse