Update: Tareq Salahi's watch is a fake, jeweler says

Tareq Salahi takes a ticket (for an expired inspection sticker) off his windshield after a court appearance in Front Royal, Va., last Friday. (James Hohmann/The Washington Post)

(Updated 6 p.m., see below: Was this perjury?)

Should we have seen this one coming? The watch Tareq Salahi turned over last week to satisfy a debt owed to a landscaper is a fake, according to court records and the jeweler asked to authenticate it.

Ray Cosey told our colleague James Hohmann he knew the timepiece -- said to be a fancy Patek Philippe, which can cost more than $15,000 -- was a phony the moment he saw it.

"Right away, we could see it was an imitation," said Cosey, owner of the R.E. Jewelers Watch & Clock in Chambersburg, Pa. "Oh yeah; even the look of the watch, you could just tell it wasn't real."

Cosey, in the business for 36 years, appraised it at about $100.

Presumably, this shouldn't be a problem anymore for landscaper Mike Dunbar, who took the Salahis to court for unpaid bills and legal fees. When the couple couldn't hand over the cash, a Warren County, Va., judge ordered the watch off Tareq's wrist -- and Dunbar's attorney was holding the timepiece for possible sale to cover costs. The watch was sent to Cosey for authentication and possibly repairs, after the clerk's office said it wasn't working.

Instead, the Salahis on Monday delivered a certified check to Dunbar's counsel for $2,063.35, which allowed them to retrieve the watch.

Dunbar's lawyer, J. Daniel Pond III, said he had assurance from the bank that the certified check was legitimate, but said he didn't have an easy way of knowing whether the watch was real when he saw Tareq with it last Friday.

"I'm not by any means trained to know if a watch like that is real," Pond said. "As a fake watch, it probably could have generated some money. There would have been some notoriety with it, but we don't have to worry about that now."

David W. Silek, who represented the Salahis in the matter, confirmed that the watch has been retrieved. He declined to comment on the authenticity of the watch, saying he no longer represents the couple.

UPDATED, 6 p.m.: So, maybe you're wondering: Is there a perjury charge waiting to happen here?

After all, the Salahis were sworn in when questioned about their ability to pay what they owed their former landscaper and his lawyer.

Notably, though, it doesn't seem the Salahis explicitly put a value on the watch, except to claim it would more than cover what was owed.

Technically, Tareq Salahi could be charged with perjury if he lied about the watch's authenticity, the local prosecutor told Hohmann today.

"They showed up in court last Friday, they raised their right hand and swore to tell the truth...Ultimately, in theory, if somebody lied during a debtors interrogatory, they could in theory be charged with perjury," said Brian Madden, Warren County Commonwealth's Attorney. "To be perfectly frank with you, it would depend on the question and what the response was."

"No police report has been filed. All I know is hearsay, rumor or innuendo. As of this moment, I'm not aware of any evidence about false statements that has been turned over (to police)...Right now, nobody has come to me and said there's evidence of a crime."

Madden said he didn't know if the questioning was recorded, but he said he would explore the matter further if one of the parties who had been in the room suggested that the Salahis lied under oath.

PREVIOUSLY:

• Tareq Salahi's Patek Phillipe isn't working, court says
  • Justice slaps Salahis on the wrist

• By The Reliable Source  |  December 10, 2009; 1:13 PM ET
    Categories:  Update , White House crashers
    Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Read this: Helena Andrews, Patrick Swayze, war babies, how to dress for a party
    Next: This just in: Roman Polanski is still wanted in L.A.

Comments

Ha! Same thing happened to OJ when the Goldmans got his 'Rolex.'

Posted by: Three3 | December 10, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

BWAHAHAHAHA, These two cons are nothing but a couple of low-rent wh*res. It's only a matter of time before Mrs. Salahi starts posting ads in the adult section of craigslist to make a few bucks. By the looks of her I'm sure she's very orally gifted.

Posted by: islandhopper24 | December 10, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Just like the owner.

Posted by: Lefty_ | December 10, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Uhh....I'm not a lawyer so I don't know. Is conspiracy to defraud the Court legal in VA?

Posted by: nonsensical2001 | December 10, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I believe her sari was one stolen from an Indian family earlier this year in a rash of burglaries here in Fairfax.

Posted by: blasmaic | December 10, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Just as I (and a few million others) called it when the first "watch as payment" article appeared.

As good ol' Gomer Pyle would say, "Surprise, surprise, surprise!"

And Congress thinks it's gonna get any truthful information out of these bozos? Puh-leeze.

Posted by: nan_lynn | December 10, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Roxanna and Amy these two carpet mucher need to get a real job.

What a waste of print. No Pulitzer with this story.

Do you think Roxanna and Amy got the job becuase of there talent or there lip service?

Posted by: blkisin | December 10, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

At some point the string (of betrayals) runs out, and these two sad and silly people will get their comeuppance (definition: "deserved reward or just deserts, usually unpleasant").

{source: http://dictionary.reference.com}

Were I smarmy fortuneteller, after rubbing my usually cloudy crystal ball (and receiving payment for services rendered before rendering them {Buppee didn't raise no fool ....}), the dancing mirages would compel me to say, "I see bars {the vertical kind} in your future ..."

Posted by: hogsmile | December 10, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I get lots of spam emails offering fake luxury watches. I wondered what kinds of idiots would buy such things.

Now I know.

Posted by: StanKlein | December 10, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

que Salahi, salahi
    whatever they say's BS
    I hope they enjoy this mess
    que salahi, salahi

I'm really happy for those two. They really wanted to be famous, and now they are. (Alternative path, to a kinder form of renown: effing ACCOMPLISH something!)

Posted by: redlineblue | December 10, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

"Presumably, this shouldn't be a problem anymore for landscaper Mike Dunbar, who took the Salahis to court for unpaid bills and legal fees. When the couple couldn't hand over the cash, the Warren County, Va., judge ordered the watch off Tareq's wrist - which Dunbar's attorney was holding for possible sale to cover costs."

Dunbar's attorney was holding Tareq's wrist for possible sale to cover costs? Isn't that a bit extreme? I mean, a watch is one thing, but.....

Posted by: oldguy2 | December 10, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

the more we learn about these two, the more unreal they seem.

how do these people live with themselves?

fancy clothes and expensive salon trips or not, they seem at the core to be nothing more than common criminals.

pretty soon they'll be all dressed up with no place to go.... except maybe jail.

Posted by: yesnomaybe213 | December 10, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

"Our characters are the result of our conduct."--
    Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, c. 355 B.C.

"Character is much easier kept than recovered."--
    Thomas Paine, The Crisis, 1776-1783

Posted by: LAWPOOL | December 10, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

It's quite an elaborate house of cards they have fabricated...

Posted by: ozpunk | December 10, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

I hope that the check that that Mr. Dunbar received was a "Cashier's check", otherwise this pitiful story will have yet another chapter.

Posted by: Ret-Coastie | December 10, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Both of them are dumber than a bag of hammers.

Posted by: PlayByTheRules | December 10, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: islandhopper24 | December 10, 2009 1:59 PM |
    --------------------------
    I was thinking the same thing, too much skin and bones on that body, for anything else.....

LOL!

Posted by: ENJOYA | December 10, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

White trash posers....

Posted by: RL67 | December 10, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Fake - I'm shocked I tell you shocked:).

I was surprised they took the watch as payment from these phonies. Everyone and I mean everyone knew the watch was a fake.

Posted by: rlj1 | December 10, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Have we considered the possibility that he wore a fake on purpose?

If the Salahis are these great con artists we all think they are, then this fits the con M.O., no?

Posted by: njacobs | December 10, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Based on the type of people they have turned out to be... I can only say that I think they were in good company at the White House.

I would rather all the trash be located in one place so it can all be picked up and disposed of at the same time..

Posted by: ProveMeWrong | December 10, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

I hope they are feeling all of the embarrassment we are wishing on them.

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | December 10, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Please stop covering these people. We don't care.

Posted by: KPLVA | December 10, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Can't they be put in jail for any of these crimes they are committing? I read in the post yesterday that they ran out on their bar tab the same night they crashed the white house. Who ends up paying? We do.

Posted by: racer5 | December 10, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Oooooooooooooooooh Salahiiiiiis, Salahiiiis
    Please tell me how you do?
    The town of DC is ablaze
    it's all because of you
    Oh Salahis, Salahis
    where do you turn to now?
    You made a mess of dinner time
    we're trying to figure how

You have a home, you have yacht
    You know the Royal Fam
    "If I can fake the U.K. out
    they won't know who I am!"

Oh Salahis, Salahis
    I hear your falling down
    There's not a place I dare to go
    Without your name around
    Oh Salahis, Salahis
    Your dumbness will prevail
    They'll take your house,
    your brand new saaaaaaaaaail...

And then they'll show the world to see
    and send you off to jail!

Posted by: cbmuzik | December 10, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Who would have known? I'm so disappointed in them.

Now, if I can dust off my old bottle and rub it hard, I know the magic words to get that genie out so I can make my wish to make them all go away.

Hang on.

"Salahi, salami, baloney". Poof, there gone!

Posted by: expat2MEX | December 10, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

He's a fake, why would the watch be real?

Posted by: whocares666 | December 10, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

This couple is really the gift that keeps on giving. Haven't had such a good laugh in days.

I'm going to start keeping notes and write this up as a screenplay. Problem is, nobody in Hollywood would find their story believable.

Posted by: warren5 | December 10, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Roxanne & Amy... FYI..... Patek Philippe watches are not fancy... in fact, they are very plain and understated in appearance... Yes... they are expensive.

Posted by: pdlane1 | December 10, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Everything about them is FAKE. They need some REAL JAIL TIME!!

Posted by: PepperDr | December 10, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

John Wilkes Boothe entered Ford's without a ticket.

Lee Harvey Oswald entered the Texas Theater without a ticket, causing the manager to telephone the police.

John Hinckley, Jr. failed to tip at the Royal Palace before he stepped over to the Washington Hilton.

But Tareq Salihi clearly has a ticket.

Posted by: blasmaic | December 10, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

What's hilarious is that these two fooled the Washington "elites", some supposedly sophisticated people. DC is full of people who have spent their whole lives groveling and sucking up to people in power and STILL can't get an invitation to a White House dinner, and these two just walked in. I LOVE it!

Posted by: brewstercounty | December 10, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

These two maroons need to watch "Catch Me If You Can" to learn how a real con artist plies his trade.

Anyone checked out Mrs. Con's facebook fan page lately? Surprise, surprise, the pictures from the White House dinner are no longer available.

Posted by: koolkat_1960 | December 10, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

It's hilarious that Taraq Salahi's expensive watch turned out to be a fake. Everything about Salahi and his bimbo wife is fake. Send them both to jail.

Posted by: dsrobins | December 10, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Nobody knew about these people and it did not matter. These silly folks managed to crash the party and now are facing after effects. We all saw them stopping momentarily while the cameras were taking picture.

Does anybody know their background? Who are these people and what do they do for living?

Posted by: 68b2b | December 10, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dsrobins | December 10, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Everything else about these people is fake. So, why should it come as a surprise that his watch is counterfeit.

Posted by: bshulman | December 10, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bs2004 | December 10, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I would assume that a bench warrant has already been issued for this POS. As in the movie Deliverance. You have a pretty mouth boy. Good luck Taraq. I hope you enjoy @nal sex. It's about to become your past time.

Posted by: askgees | December 10, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

It is NOT considered good form to scam your sentencing judge!~

Posted by: KBlit | December 10, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Please stop covering these people. We don't care.

Posted by: KPLVA | December 10, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

So true but it is funny as he11 to watch. No pun intended.

Posted by: askgees | December 10, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

There is a God in Heaven.

Posted by: oracle2world | December 10, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Now WPOST is going dumpter diving for trash! Shame on you for making this front page news.

Posted by: DragonRoll | December 10, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bs2004 | December 10, 2009 4:08 PM
    ========

To the previous weeks game of course :)

Posted by: WeThePeopleofVirginia | December 10, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

These dodos take "fake it til you make it" to an all new level. I hate to reward "fame wh0res" with attention (God knows they don't need any encouragement) but each day a new facet is revealed about their stupidiotry and I can't help but enjoy it.

Fake invite, fake winery, fake charity, fake "high society" credentials, fake cheerleading, fake assets, fake Patek watch.

I see their lawyer bailed. Law firms just won't put up with fake fees.

Posted by: NW_Washington | December 10, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Is there ANYTHING about this couple that is real? Time to liquidate their assets to pay their debts.

Boy, that was one very expensive White House State Dinner!

Posted by: postfan1 | December 10, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Roxanna and Amy these two carpet mucher need to get a real job.

What a waste of print. No Pulitzer with this story.

Posted by: blkisin | December 10, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse
    __________________________________________

In spite of your spelling I get your point. I urge these two dimwits to have "faith" as this is the time HOnored way of career advancement at the Post.

Posted by: SoCali | December 10, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Every single thing, everything about the Salahi's is a fraud. Simple as that.

Posted by: brwntrt | December 10, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

I am very much surprised that the WaPo has stooped to such a low level to find an audience that reads(mayby)this drivel. What a joke a once-fine rag has turned into. TFL, Ken

Posted by: kentigereyes | December 10, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Really, who is surprised the watch is fake? But what we should be asking is how many other Salahis are there out there.

They don't seem to be professional grifters. It was way to easy for them to do what they did, crashing dinner parties, pretending to be a redskinette, leaving tabs at bars, fake watch, former modeling career, etc. I'm guessing about 10% of DC's high society are much like the Salahis.

Its just to easy to do as the Salahi's proved. They just made the mistake of flauting their imagined status even after getting caught, bringing scrutiny. Most others like the Salahis would have laid low, no facebook pics, etc. Yea, lots of fakes out there. The Salahis are just giving us a glimpse into this world, and an ugly world at that.

Posted by: Fate1 | December 10, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Could this be any other way?

Posted by: axolotl | December 10, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

These idiots need to go to jail.

Posted by: Alon1 | December 10, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

To all the people who keep saying the Salahi's were part of Washington high society and faked rich people just don't get it. These people didn't fake Washington elites because no one had even heard of them. All their cons were against car mechanics, restaurants, landscapers, etc. They lived in Front Royal, VA which is closer to West Virginia than Washington. These two were living in their own fantasy world where they were rich and famous all the while no one of importance even knew they existed or cared!

Posted by: buffysummers | December 10, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

What a couple of scumbags. But, you know, Joe Biden said the reason the secret service didn't remove them from the crashed party was that the Salahis knew everyone in the room and fit right in. That doesn't speak well for the Obama's guest list.

Posted by: ADNova | December 10, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Alexander O'Neill said it best

Your name was Michaele
    but now it's Kay

Girl
    you seem to change it every day.
    Your hair was long
    but now it's short

You say: I got it cut
    but I don't see no hair upon the floor.
    Whenever I go out with you I find out something new.

You're a fake
    baby
    you can't conceal it

Know how I know
    'cause I can feel it.

You're a fake
    baby
    no rhyme or reason

'Cause in your mind it's lyin' season.

You had brown eyes
    but now they're blue

Those false eyelashes that you're wearin'
    too.
    In bed this morning you called me CIyde

Alex is the name that I go by!
    If women could be counterfit
    then you'd be it.

baby
    and I'm disgusted

The game is through and
    girl
    you're busted
    fake!

Whenever I go out with you I find out something new.
    You're a fake
    you always have a good excuse

But
    . . .
    You're a fake
    baby
    Fake
    fake!

Posted by: Clarkent1 | December 10, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Salahi posted that certified check real quick because he knew damn well if the judge got the feeling Salahi was trying to pawn that watch off as real, he'd toss his butt straight into the hoosegow for contempt.

I can just imagine Salahi handing over a check for $5000 and asking the landscaper to please return him the difference via Western Union! That's how this guy rolls.

Not only was it a fake watch, but apparently it didn't even work (as reported previously). Here's someone who wears a watch that doesn't work, just to perpetrate that he's so rich he can buy a Patek Philippe. What a pathetic tool.

That cell door will slam on him -- and his little dog too -- just wait.

Posted by: laboo | December 10, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Why doesn't the Post start a blog to follow these morons around and to report on their daily activities? I think that it would be entertaining.

Posted by: MKadyman | December 10, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

If it weren't for the Hillbilly Palin's, these two would take the prize for low class. However, their communication with Michele S. Jones, Robert Gates's special assitant is more distrubing. Investigation alleges that her resume appear erroneous and suggest poor vetting by the DOD prior to allowing her access to classified information. Considering the perpetual disturbing leaks coming from the Pentagon and her involvement with the Salahi's including the reported email from the Salahi's confirming that they had been successful in breaching security makes me wonder why after a few days she disappeared from the MSM radar and never made it to the House Homeland Security commissions guest list. We deserve to know the extent of Michele S Jones involvement with the security breach.

Posted by: xclntcat | December 10, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Right on nonsensical2001! Conspiracy to defraud the Court legal in VA?

Non-working, fake Patek Philippe. Who wears a non-working watch other than this vain dimwit?

Good NYT article on breach of DC social code here:

Posted by: h123 | December 10, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

They need to figure out how to scam a plastic surgeon into giving Mrs. Con a nice pair of fake major league yabbos.

Posted by: koolkat_1960 | December 10, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Consistency in character from head to toe,
    All being fake and contrived to show,
    Narcissism in fully costumed display.
    While truth is forgotten for a day.

Posted by: ejgallagher1 | December 10, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I quite agree, a "Salahi blog" on their comings and goings would be very appropriate and entertaining! Again, RS, I WANT SOMEONE TO TELL US WHERE SHE GOT HER INDIAN DRESS, IF IT WAS RENTED, AND HOW SHE PAID ERWIN GOMEZ FOR 8 HOURS OF HAIR AND MAKEUP! THIS TOO, MAY BE QUITE ENTERTAINING!

WONDER WHO GAVE THEM THE MONEY TO PAY THE LANDSCAPER? CERTAINLY NOT MOMMY!

Posted by: arrabbiato | December 10, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

so, this is starting to be really almost sad.
    how low can you go. Next we'll find out they aren't even people, just some husks.

Posted by: gconrads | December 10, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Wow, such incisive, holistic reporting. This totally merits it. Keep up the good work. /sarcasm

Posted by: gradeschoolninja | December 10, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Say it ain't so, Tareq. This is so out of character.

Posted by: vztownes | December 10, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

I am quite sure we have plenty of "salahis" in this town called Washington DC. Wannabes who like to impress everybody with their rantings or name-dropping tales. Just ride the orange, blue or red line at rush hour and you will experience it.

Real old money is usually low key and discreet; on the other hand, new riches and MTV princesses are the most annoying species on earth

Posted by: eaglestrk01 | December 10, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Mental illness is the only conclusion that one can draw about these folks.

Does anyone know where they met, because I'd wager it was in treatment.

Posted by: whsmhrth1 | December 10, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

The watch is a fake -- just like the owner(s)!

Posted by: curious606 | December 10, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

The Salahis: Phony glitter on the outside, nothing of value on the inside - just like the watch.

Posted by: MillPond2 | December 10, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

"One year from now, the Salahis will wind up homeless on F street panhandling tickets to Capitals games."
    Posted by: bs2004

And visiting the local eatery eating the free samples of food, like Homer Simpson.

Posted by: Fate1 | December 10, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

There is nothing of substance real about these two poseurs. Nothing!

Posted by: meldupree | December 10, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

He is in possession of pirated goods. This is a crime in and of itself.

Posted by: Curmudgeon10 | December 10, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

We used to have a sign in our living room that would be most appropriate for these two pieces of work: "No one is completely worthless - they can always serve as a BAD example."

Posted by: ehsmith1 | December 10, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Who said "truth is stranger than fiction"? I don't think Dominick Dunne could make up all these twists & turns in their story ... every day a new revelation!

Posted by: Myshamrock_va@yahoo.com | December 10, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Wow, if there was still an Enron, these two would be considered executive
    material.

Posted by: rkerg | December 10, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

(only thing I can think of)

Watch for them to disappear.

Posted by: jato11 | December 10, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

William Makepiece Thackeray wrote Michaele's biography and called it _Vanity Fair_. You can find it in the library in the fiction section.

Posted by: donnolo | December 10, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

My jaw is still on the floor. Just when I started to pick it up for the 5th time the Salahis show yet another low. They stiffed a bar tab AFTER crashing the White House dinner ..... DROP!.

Posted by: Fate1 | December 10, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Ok, so they took a little wrong turn, -I think everybody is being a little harsh... they've done a lot of good too... founded a charity & developed a world class winery -why all the grousing -how many people can claim that?

Posted by: begreen123 | December 10, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Uh, begreen-you must have been out somewhere flying around the planet Pluto-DO YOU SERIOUSLY THINK THAT "CHARITY" THE SALAHIS FOUNDED IS LEGIT? COME ON, WHERE DO YOU THINK THEY WERE GETTING THEIR MONEY TO LIVE, HUH? FROM THE FAKE CHARITY, THAT'S WHERE! SHEESH!-THE STATE OF VA. IS INVESTIGATING THIS SITUATION RIGHT NOW, AND I'M CERTAIN CRIMINAL CHARGES WILL BE BROUGHT!

AND AS FOR THAT "WORLD CLASS WINERY"-TAREQ DIDN'T DEVELOP SQUAT! ANY WINERY WAS HIS PARENTS DOING, AND NOW IT'S BEEN CLOSED, FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS, BANKRUPT, OVERRUN WITH WEEDS! WORLD CLASS MY ARSE!-WHAT ARE YOU, TAREQ SALAHI'S PR FLACK? OR JUST AN IDIOT?

Posted by: arrabbiato | December 10, 2009 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Q: What do you call a fake-brand watch that doesn't even tell the correct time?

A: A costume-jewelry bracelet.

Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 11, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Again... we need Congressional hearings to determine how you can use a Charity Event to raise $506K and give the charity $16K.

Posted by: angriestdogintheworld | December 11, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Quote --It was way to easy for them to do what they did, crashing dinner parties, pretending to be a redskinette, leaving tabs at bars, fake watch, former modeling career, etc. I'm guessing about 10% of DC's high society are much like the Salahis. -- Unquote

Very astute observation. I wouldn't say anyone in "high society" is like that, but there are many questionable "charity events" and many many solicitations for "donations" from people who simply don't want to pay for the goods and services they want. I have seen this at levels as basic as a girl scout mom asking for free cakes for her girl scout troop (Hey mom, why not teach the brownies how to bake a cake??) to the level of jewelers being asked to loan jewelry for "events." This is not Hollywood and there won't be any free publicity for the loan you feel pressured to make!

Enough with the fake charities and the pressure that merchants and acquaintances of these hangers-on, not only the Salahis, feel to "be nice", "be generous", "give back," etc.

Real, registered charities don't pressure people for freebies.

Posted by: moogielala | December 11, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

If you looked closely, maybe it was a Fatek Phillipe kind of like the Folex.

Shouldn't surprise anyone. Amazing how he could find $2,000 in hopes to retrieve his fake watch before his friends know that from his honor, integrity down to the watch he wears (and his wife's blonde hair) that everything is FAKE!

Can anyone tell if Michaele's Chanel purse is legit?

FATHETIC, I mean PATHETIC!

Posted by: dmacman88 | December 12, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

As for their event that funds the questionable charity "Journey for the Cure" - America's Polo Cup, has anyone actually read that website? Mr. Salahi might spend all those lonely hours in jail proofreading and fact checking (like *that* matters to him) the site which promotes this event. After all he is its president... www.americascupolo.com and click on the event tab (americas cup of polo) and you'll be interested to learn that it was founded on the *400th* anniversary of America. These people don't even oversee the site that is their premiere scam to keep them in "high society", not to mention fund their fake charity. Morons.

Posted by: BaileyJ1 | December 12, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

BaileyJ1, I noticed that "400th Anniversary of America" too. After a moment of thinking 'what the ??' I figured they were referring to Virginia's celebration of the 400th anniversary of the Jamestown settlement. I am sure they do their own web work, including their site for the winery (not the parent's site).

Posted by: moogielala | December 12, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse