CNN's Candy Crowley new Sunday anchor

Candy Crowley during Sunday's on-air announcement. (CNN)

Another crack in the glass ceiling: CNN's Candy Crowley is taking over the helm as host of "State of the Union," the Sunday morning political program. The veteran correspondent, who's been with the network for two decades, becomes the only female journalist to currently anchor a Sunday morning talk show, and one of the few women ever to hold that position.

"Having spent decades talking to people about their lives and their worries and their questions, I hope I bring that to the table," Crowley said this morning during the on-air announcement. She's taking over for John King, who's leaving to host CNN's new evening show.

"The really nice thing is that I'm going to keep my day job---reporting," she told us. The network said it selected Crowley, best known for her campaign coverage, for her "shrewd insight and healthy irreverence" and offered her the job Wednesday just before (fittingly) the actual State of the Union speech. "Whoa, yes! Of course I'll do that!" she told the brass, who swore her to secrecy.

The mother of four grown children, who all encouraged her to apply for the job, said this is the first time she's made a major career move without worrying about juggling her roles as a journalist and a parent. "For once, I'm not going to feel like I'm in the wrong place," she said.

Crowley starts her new gig next week; the hour-long show airs at 9 a.m.

By The Reliable Source  |  January 31, 2010; 2:53 PM ET
Categories:  This Just In...
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Miss Virginia Caressa Cameron crowned Miss America
Next: Yes, that was third crasher Carlos Allen at the Grammys

Comments

Way to go! I seem to remember years ago--was it Clinton's first inaugural ball?--that Ms Crowley's assignment was to describe the gown of the new first lady. Wow. We've all come a long way! Thanks!!

Posted by: pvanderpol | January 31, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

So her kids are happy. What about her husband?

Posted by: ridagana | January 31, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Great move by CNN! Congrats to Candy, a great correspondent, will definitely check her show on Sunday morning. It was about time! what took them so long!

Posted by: net123 | January 31, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Congrat's Candy! We have all followed you and are very happy for you. Well deserved.

Posted by: madstamina | January 31, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

It's about time!. Ms. Crowley is by far the best journalist at CNN. Now if they would just jettison Rick Sanchez, Wolf Blitzer, and Campbell Brown, and give a good spot to Jack Cafferty their ratings would go up. Way to go Candy!

Posted by: stonecarver | January 31, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Although I ignore CNN, Candy is a good enough reason to make an exception.Good Luck to her.

Posted by: QBee1 | January 31, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Good move CNN....

Now if you could only get rid of Campbell Brown (she would be great on FAUX)....

Maybe NBC would follow suit and get rid of David Gregory

Posted by: dove369 | January 31, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

I think Candy Crowley is great!

Posted by: SusieS | January 31, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

At least its equal opportunity - no one watched this program with male hosts, now no one will watch with a female host either.

Posted by: pgr88 | January 31, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to Candy Crowley. She is a pro.

I would like to see Jeanne Meserve replace Rick Sanchez, she is highly competent and easy on the eyes & ears.

Posted by: mdavis0505 | January 31, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

I am delighted with this news. Now I will definitely watch the show. Best wishes, Ms. Crowley.

Posted by: storyart1 | January 31, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Great. Now that King is gone I can go back to having the program as background if nothing else. What I have seen of Crowley I like.

Posted by: sauerkraut | January 31, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

I do not like CNN in general The reporting and the partisan bias is terrible. She is the one reporter that I like to watch. John King you need to take a pulse to see if he is alive.

Posted by: marden08 | January 31, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Yeah!

Posted by: maddymappo | January 31, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Good for Candy. I have always thought she and Judy Woodruff were two of the best.
I am glad CNN has decided to abandon the whole demographics and age thing( how is that working out for MSNBC? ) and get back to basic news reporting. It seems as though they were trying to redo the whole network the last couple of years and dumping seasoned vets. Somebody at CNN finally figured out that you don't have to be 24, blond and have collagen injections in your lips to do serious political analysis and news commentary. How unique?

Posted by: menopausequeen | January 31, 2010 7:36 PM | Report abuse

A good decision by CNN.

Candy has what it takes when it comes to news reporting.

Posted by: adjjones | January 31, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

oh thank god, I can watch something on CNN again besides Zakaria and Amanpour, and Howie Kurtz. King was absurd with his softball questions to cheney, and always talking about his "magic wall".
Crowley Rocks!!!