John Edwards and Elizabeth Edwards separate, may divorce, friends tell People

(Courtesy of People)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

UPDATE, 4:17 p.m.: Andrea Purse, a friend of Elizabeth Edwards, released a statement to the Associated Press on Edwards' behalf: "Elizabeth is moving on with her life and wants to put this difficult chapter behind her." Read original post, below, for the full story.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Elizabeth Edwards has "called it quits" for her marriage, and her husband John, the scandal-scarred erstwhile presidential hopeful, has moved out of their home, People magazine reports in a new cover story.

People cites named sources close to the couple, including Elizabeth's sister: "She said, 'I've had it. I can't do this. I want my life back," Nancy Anania told the magazine. "I hear peace in her voice that I haven't heard in a long time."

The magazine says that the separation pre-dates the former senator's confession last week that he is indeed the father of campaign videographer Rielle Hunter's baby. Elizabeth, 60, is still living in their Chapel Hill, N.C. mansion, while John, 56, splits his time between an annex on the property and their beach home 160 miles away. The magazine also says that Elizabeth, who is still battling cancer, has had divorce papers at the ready for a year, but whether she files will likely depend on her health.

The magazine also describes Elizabeth meeting with Hunter's baby, 23-month-old Frances Quinn Hunter; and quotes John's parents, Wallace and Bobbie Edwards, on how they've welcomed the child into their life.

By The Reliable Source  |  January 27, 2010; 1:14 PM ET
Categories:  Politics
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Michelle Rhee's 'sex with children' comments aren't the only ones that come back to bite
Next: Michael Douglas's son pleads guilty to drug charge in New York

Comments

Wow. Irrespective of what you think about their politics, this woman has class and courage.

Posted by: ATL_Pilot_1 | January 27, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

She was humiliated in front of the world as her injury-lawyer creep husband betrayed her with an ugly trollop.

Take him for all he's got.

Posted by: tjhall1 | January 27, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Really, ATL, you can't leave politics out of it for ONE FREAKIN' MINUTE?? What the heck is wrong with you people.

* * *

I hope there's no pre-nup and Elizabeth takes him for everything he has. No one facing the serious health issues she has and still does deserves the anxiety and pain he's caused her and his other children. The lying, slimy, cheating piece of scum; I hope he rots in h3ll.

Posted by: 7900rmc | January 27, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

She knew but, like a lot of political spouses, was willing to stay as long as it served their "greater good".

I like them both but neither is as they appear.

Posted by: rlj1 | January 27, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

And guess what you can be in love with more than one person. You can want to support your wife with cancer and you can know someone else has your child that needs your support too. I'd much rather have a messy marriage than a fake one! Who are we Betty Crocker or what? If there is a divorce it will be in no small part due to us! They aren't even running for President anymore. Give them a break.

Posted by: Wildthing1 | January 27, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Apparently the same month (7/08)as baby was conceived, Edwards had the audacity to go through with a 30th renewal of vows w/Elizabeth. Yet media says she knew of affair? Seems more like a plotline for afternoon soap opera than potential US presidential candidate and wife - I have incurable disease as well - my physician's advice was to remove as much stress as possible ASAP - sign the papers, Elizabeth!

Posted by: vm56 | January 27, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully some divorce lawyer can make John Edwards squirm like he used to do when he was an ambulance chasing fraud. What comes around, goes around.

Posted by: dsmaltze | January 27, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Good for her, she been courageous before and she continues to be so.. She deserves so much more..

Posted by: jjones3 | January 27, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

From other sources I've heard that Lizzy is no angel either.

Posted by: mortified469 | January 27, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I don't normally post my opinion on these boards, however, this story gets to me. John Edwards is a sorry excuse for a man and I hope his career is over.

She has class and I hope she has a better life from this point forward.

Posted by: laceysomers | January 27, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

a stiff woody has no conscience. this is not about love. this is about, "who needs love, who needs romance, i wanna eat your underpants". edwards needed to get laid, and found it on the streets because he was not getting it at home. period.

Posted by: rufustdriver | January 27, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

If Mr Edwards could cheat on his wife and lie to his family as he did, he is capable of doing the same to the citizens who vote him into office...i.e. lie and cheat. He is clearly NOT presidential material and he clearly IS selfish and dishonorable.

Posted by: karismatik61 | January 27, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Elizabeth Edwards is a model of class and dignity. She deserves much better, and hopefully, she'll begin enjoying the rest of her life.

Posted by: john24 | January 27, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Elizabeth deserves better. He is a real
piece of sh....t
The God will panish him someday anyway.
I just wish her the best with fighting against cancer.
My wife is also cancer patient more than two years and I always stayed and will stay behind her.
Elizabeth, kick his ass and take everything from him.
God bless you.

Posted by: yrez2002 | January 27, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Come on people, we only part of the story. Yes, John Edwards made a mistake. However, those close to him say he is a sincere politician. All this injury lawyer crap is just that. If your loved was seriously injured, you would want a lawyer like John. As for Elizabeth, rumor is she's pretty difficult to say the least.

Posted by: phil38 | January 27, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Elizabeth, Please look into Tumeric it attacks cancer very agressively an kills it. So does papaya. Then get rid of the stress in your life. Take care an God Bless

Posted by: JWTX | January 27, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Wow - like this lady hasn't already been through enough! That's okay she's had the strenghth to get her to this point, she'll come out okay. He'll get his, they always do. Too bad there are innocent people involved; sad!

Posted by: pinkie987 | January 27, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

It seems as though there is epedemic of scandals with these idiot men whom expect us to call them leaders. Come on man are out of your minds?

Posted by: JWTX | January 27, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

So sad. They have been through hell and back together with the death of their son and then her cancer. I used to think they were best friends. It's a shame he couldn't keep it in his pants.

Posted by: melissar2 | January 27, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

I certainly do not agree with what Mr. Edwards has done, don't care for the gentleman and can find no reson that would justify his behavior. I think it goes something like this, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, but let he who is not guilty cast the first stone.

Posted by: hershefrog | January 27, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Having Money will cause an itch in your pants ,just ask Tiger!

Posted by: leadfoot_08865 | January 27, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

I just want to say that I have been married to the same man for 24 years & what Edwards has done My husband has donr from the beginning. I just want to say that It really has nothing to do with the love he has for me nor for Edwards wife. Yes I know that my husband loves me to death & Edwards Loves his wife It is men in general they have an addiction to see how many they can get.... & sometimes it just happens. No fault of there own it is DNA.. I will always love my husband & he will me.. We are all just as guilty for continuing to allow it to happen we as human beings need to either be single or married but you have to live that 1 life & have no regrets as to what your doing.

Posted by: sylviagriffin | January 27, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

now why would a scumbag personal injury lawyer ends up haiti, drumming up a bit of business, johnny boy? maybe looking for a cheap beach front condo.now we know.

Posted by: trjohnson8890122 | January 27, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: trjohnson8890122 | January 27, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Just another man/politician who
couldn't keep it in his pants!
Elizabeth,
I'd drain him as dry as possible
and then I'd write a book
that destroys HIS life.

Posted by: luckinschmuck | January 27, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

John Edwards, you are the real cancer in Elizabeth's life. There is no pill, radiation, chemo treatment or masectomy to make you go away. I pray for God's guidance, peace and comfort for Elizabeth during yet another "John-induced" painful time in her life. I personally don't believe in divorce and nor do I believe women should stay in an abusive marriage. If this isn't a form abuse then I don't know what is.

Posted by: vernonk1 | January 27, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: vernonk1 | January 27, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

What the man did is wrong (sinful), but who among us is without sin to be able to correctly judge another for his/her actions? Can a person be forgiven by God for sin? Yes! And if God can forgive us, why can't we forgive others?

There are some hard hitting words by Christ in the Bible that hit home and should be an example and lesson for all of us to learn and abide (live) by.

Do not judge others or you will be judged.
Do not condemn others or you will be condemned.
Let he among you who is without sin cast the first stone.
If you do not forgive others their sins against you, your Heavenly Father will not forgive you your sins.
Why look at the speck in your brothers eye, when you have a log in your own. First rid yourself of the log in your own eye and then perhaps you will see clearly enough to see the speck in your brothers eye.
The merciful shall obtain mercy.
Forgive us our tresspasses, as we forgive those who tresspass against us.

All of these are the words of the Lord.
Now ask yourself, whom do you follow and what do you belive and who do you obey?

End of Transmission

Posted by: internut7 | January 27, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

As far as this article goes, Elizabeth is doing the right thing as far as leaving her husband. On the other hand, John isnt the only one to blame. The photographer, knew the senator was married and still acted in her own selfish reason(s). Regardless of what happened, both parties are to blame. Not just him, it takes two to tangle.

Posted by: wla_toya | January 27, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

If anyone knows the difference between the pitiful Edwards couple and the Sahilis, let us know what it is. They are all fakers and pretenders. Elizabeth Edwards is probably the biggest faker. The liberals really blew it when they picked Edwards. What a loser.

Posted by: beachbum09 | January 27, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Truly, there's only so much even the most loyal spouse can take, and I can scarcely imagine a more nightmarish scenario (in terms of public scandal) than that which Elizabeth has endured (and, no doubt, will continue to endure with The Book coming out next week).

She is much in my thoughts, and I wish her and all the children involved well. They all have a tough road ahead.

Posted by: editrix | January 27, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

WE may almost all agree it is about time, but the decision really has been her's to make throughout the trying time. It takes two, to make or break a marriage. What ever happened is none of my interest or business though no doubt publisher$ will be knock knock knocking on Elizabeth's door. Everything that can be said, should be said, and or will be said pertaining to her now ex need not be added to by this opinionated poster-except perhaps the fact that it my strong opinion the guy is losing a really great lady. Good luck Elizabeth, to you in all things, and to the kids...

Posted by: panhermes | January 27, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

National Enquirer reported this a week ago.

Posted by: milfordone | January 27, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Edwards was easily the most disingenuous candidate I have seen in the past 10 years.

He was setting out policy positions strictly for votes and never really went to work in the Senate on any matters that affected the country.

He was and remains a social gadfly, a lightweight with few of his own convictions, other than the belief he was entitled to a term in the White House.

I was amazed that a guy with such little gravitas or political experience would garner so much support.

Posted by: leopard09 | January 27, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Good heavens. Everyone, and I do mean everyone, in this Edwards Family Freak Show are nothing but publicity hounds. Both Edwards used each other to get what they wanted. They've got nothing left to fool the American public about, so now it's splitsville.

He's a creep, she's a creep enabler. They are both liars. They really do deserve each other and at the end of the day, I bet they don't get divorced.

Posted by: bandmom22 | January 27, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Elizabeth, you are one classy woman.

Maybe you should have run for President.

Wish you and your children well.

Posted by: smtpgirl08 | January 27, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Who would defend this guy? Why? If he is lucky, down the road his kids will forgive him. As to public life, I can't imagine how. How does the wife bear any fault here? This guy may wind up being prosecuted for election fraud over this, maybe for other reasons as well (tax fraud?). Maybe he and Tiger can room together.

Posted by: smh7650 | January 27, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Sanford and Edwards in 2012! . . . And I don't mean Mark and John.

Posted by: anon99 | January 27, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Why is this still a national news story? Oh, exucse me, I guess 4500 missing Americans in Haiti is not newsworthy.

Posted by: BBear1 | January 27, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

truly sad for Elizabeth and her kids. Folks forget they lost a son in an accident, cancer and now this. She deserves better.The reckless part about this story is not only what he did to his wife and kids, but the fact that he pursued the Presidency knowing full well the facts of his affair. Just think of what that would have done to the nation had he won the nomination and the story discovered, which it certainly would have been, during the general election. Vitter, Edwards,Spitzer,Ensign,Sanford. Its truly amazing how many talented and intelligent politicans are so irresponsible and apparently are so delusional to think they won't get caught.

Posted by: leichtman | January 27, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

I'd bet a week's salary there are some hypocrites among these commenters. You can't all be that pure.

Posted by: tomasagee | January 27, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Elizabeth Edwards needs to get the toxins out of her life so that she can go on and make herself and her children happy. Now, she is in a fight for her life, and she needs to be positive and concentrate all of her energies into feeling good and doing exactly what makes her happy. All of us are inperfect, however, she should not waste one more second on John Edwards than she has to do. She needs to make another life for herself and her children, now.

Posted by: Listening2 | January 27, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

I used to work with a lady who lived in the same community as the Edwards. John is clearly no saint, but Elizabeth wasn't either.

Posted by: huguenotklj | January 27, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

What? Elizabeth dumped her "Big" John?

Handsome
Sleek talking
Popular
Wealthy
Well endowed

Of course Big John is also

A liar
Denier
Cheating
Self-idolizing
Creep

Posted by: jdcw | January 27, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Didn't see much about the John Edwards (D) sex scandal in the Washington post during his run for president. The National Enquirer was reporting on the story as far back as October of 2007.

Job well done National Enquirer!

Posted by: geo82170 | January 27, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse

The only words that I can think of that adequately describe John Edwards' behavior are "contemptible" and "caddish." I hope Ms. Edwards soaks him for every penny he has. She certainly deserves all of it, considering what she's had to contend with.

Posted by: nicekid | January 27, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

I hope she takes him for every penny he has and then picks his bones clean.

Posted by: richard36 | January 27, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

This is the oldest story in the book. Another fine example of why the peculiar institution of marriage is obsolete and should be thrown out along with slavery. I can't think of any other legally sanctioned socal arrangement that causes more personal misery. Whenever I see those fighting for gay marriage, I always think: "be careful what you ask for, you just might get it!"

Posted by: pjs1965 | January 27, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Now that we know that Edwards is a fundamentally flawed and dishonest person, someone should go back and look at all the medical malpractice cases he won. He made millions screwing doctors and given his obvious lack of integrity, it is highly likely he manipulated evidence to win these cases.

Posted by: physicianexec | January 27, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Good for her!

Posted by: Guest1234 | January 27, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Bravo Elizabeth. Bravo.

I think it took courage to stay as long as you have and I'm sure you did so for the sake of your family, but there is a human breaking point and this is it.

At this point he doesn't deserve your quiet strength and tenderness.

My God bless you and keep you.

Posted by: MPATL | January 27, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Oh, please. She's old, fat and baggy. Probably a real nag, too. Greedy spendthrift frittering away his money. Face it. He HAD to cheat.

Posted by: JamesChristian | January 27, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Awww, too bad. They deserve each other.

Posted by: Atenora | January 27, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

WaPo hacks' most reliable source is The National Enquirer. Time and time again WaPo gets scooped by the Enquirer. The John Edwards story, Tiger Woods, Clinton & Monica Lewinsky.

At best WaPo is a rehash of what the Enquirer has already published.

Posted by: screwjob2 | January 27, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

I love the airbrushed photos of Elizabeth Edwards. The used so much air, they ran clean OUT of air. Oh, this is gonna be a refreshing display of feminist tripe going forward. Elizebeth "airbrush" Edwards, the poor wounded victim vs. John Edwards the creepy demon. Eeeesh, I'm gonna vomit.

Posted by: JamesChristian | January 27, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

physician your post is about as self serving and crass as Edward's behavior. This has zero to do with his poorly treated clients but leave it to a R doctor to make this all about YOU. Would be happy to provide you with the horrendous stories of local patients being butchered by cocaine influenced orthopedic suregeons you would likely defend. You want to attack a whole profession based upon the immoral conduct of a politician, then maybe you would like to open the door to corporate and business influenced politicians with moral indiscretions. Again your post was dispicable.

Posted by: leichtman | January 27, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

I hope she gets the kids, the house, every penny this POS has and every penny this POS will make.

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | January 27, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Elizabeth Edwards is a class act. She addressed Virginia Beach democrats during The Dean, Kerry. Edwards Primary season. I worked hard for Dean but was totally blown away by Elizabeth. I thought that if she were running I could totally work to get her elected. I've always thought that Elizabeth was the better part of John Edward's public personna. I hope Mrs. Edwards lets go of the drama that her husband has created and can live out her life in peace.

Posted by: fabricmaven1 | January 27, 2010 7:03 PM | Report abuse

"....while John, 56, splits his time between an annex on the property and their beach home 160 miles away"
==========================================
I wonder if the "annex" is an outhouse by any chance....

'Coz that's where the turds belong.

Posted by: kishorgala | January 27, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Don't you wonder about these guys who have such beautiful intelligent wives - loving mother, supportive and helpful companion - and dump it all for what? Rielle is an unattractive woman and while beauty is only skin deep, one wonders if she has any beauty on the inside since she eagerly participated in an affair with a man who who could've potentially ruled the greatest nation in the world and who had a cancer stricken wife with very young children. Rielle and John said screw the nation, the sick wife, the young kids - we will do what we want. But the affair, as awful as it is given the circumstances, is nothing compared to the boldface lies this man told to the world in denying his own child. The baby appears to have gotten her father's good looks...where will she get her good soul? God forgive them and I wish Elizabeth strength stamina health and love.

Posted by: cordesd | January 27, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Imagine...John Edwards...with the "morals" of a pack rat..running for president of the United States! What if he had replaced Bush, who had the "ethics" of a pack rat? Methinks our media could have done a better job of providing "insight" on the real persona's of these damaged men.

Posted by: JH2535 | January 27, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

John, I hope she cleans your clock.

Posted by: dlkimura | January 27, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

No telling what brought the marriage down, but I'd be willing to say it should have been over with long before he strayed.

Posted by: JenAZ | January 27, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

I could care less about who sleeps with who. It has always been a given in the political world.

What is really inportant is that this Gvt. doesnot always lie about issues, they just ignore and do not tell the whole story.

Medicare copays practically doubled, but what this administration is not talking about is that Medicare deductable has gone way way up. It is now about $300, before you are able to pay the current copay., and the Medicare insurance on SS has increased plus no cost of living increase.So seniors are taking a beating, but Obama doesn't talk about all the facts. He just makes believe he was God's gift to America. Wonder how we can get a refund for an undesireble gift?

As far as the other garbage is concerned, that is just what it is. Happens to thousands all over the country, every day!!!

Posted by: LOONYBIN2000 | January 27, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

I have absolutely no sympathy for Elizabeth... she knew that he was cheating and still supported John's run for President. Had he gotten the democratic nomination and then had this story come out, we'd have McCain and Palin in office!

Posted by: scott.moon@gmail.com | January 27, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

"Classy" Elizabeth Edwards, huh?

An Excerpt From John Heilemann and Mark Halperin's 'Game Change: Obama and the Clintons, McCain and Palin, and the Race of a Lifetime' -- New York Magazine http://nymag.com/news/politics/63045/index2.html#ixzz0drpImFfI: "No one in the Edwardses’ political circle felt anything less than complete sympathy for Elizabeth’s plight. And yet the romance between her and the electorate struck them as ironic nonetheless—because their own relationships with her were so unpleasant that they felt like battered spouses. The nearly universal assessment among them was that there was no one on the national stage for whom the disparity between public image and private reality was vaster or more disturbing."

And this:
"One day, she was on a conference call with the staffers of One America, the political-action committee that was being turned into a vehicle for John’s 2008 bid. There were 40 or 50 people on the line, mostly kids in their twenties being paid next to nothing (and in some cases literally nothing). Elizabeth had been cranky throughout the call, but at the end she asked if her and her husband’s personal health-care coverage had been arranged. Not yet, she was told. There are complications; let’s discuss it after the call. Elizabeth was having none of that. She flew into a rage.

If this isn’t dealt with by tomorrow, everyone’s health care at the PAC will be cut off until it’s fixed, she barked. I don’t care if nobody has health care until John and I do!

The health-care call attained wide infamy in the Edwards camp. The people around them marveled at Elizabeth’s callousness—this from a woman whose family had multiple houses and a net worth in the tens of millions."

The woman is dying of cancer, it would be ungracious not to extend her every sympathy and every benefit of the doubt. But I don't think any of this demonstrates class.

Posted by: gbooksdc | January 27, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

John Edwards is a selfish, cruel man.

Posted by: FKAYBBN26W | January 27, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Can't we make comments without being mean and spiteful? These kind of comments only make the person making the comment look mean and small.

Posted by: chlind | January 27, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

He's a piece of CRAP for cheating on his wife, like he did.
She should divorce his sorry-no-good-ass.

What a shmuck, jive-mf.

Posted by: Tobor58 | January 27, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Hey they had these little kids, so I give Eliz. the benefit of the doubt she was just trying to give them the best childhood she could, and that's really commendable. If he was pulling his crap all along and she stayed in there for a fun celebrity ride then it's 3 slimeballs getting what they deserve, John Reille and Elizabeth, too.

Posted by: kls1 | January 27, 2010 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Just another sad tale of suburban heartbreak, except that these two mucked around in presidential politics, placed the party's electoral prospects at risk and shattered the trust of thousands of Americans who sincerely supported John. I'd have a lot more sympathy for Elizabeth had she not gone along with a campaign for a man who was unfit to be running for president. Not that marital fidelity has ever been a requirement for the job, but given our current reality she knew his candidacy was a disaster waiting to happen. Just because she was the wronged spouse doesn't free her of the obligation to make responsible decisions, especially when the whole country is involved. I have a lot more sympathy for anyone who is still paying on credit cards they ran up from donating to Edwards' campaign.

Posted by: pimntochz | January 27, 2010 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Hi Looneybin2000,

Senior here...
The Medicare deductable is and has been for two years $135.00. I pay 20% copay after my deductible is paid which can be taken care of with a supplemental insurance...a government regulated insurance supplemental.

[quote]

This to me is news worthy. All seniors and those that care about their senior parents and grand parents should let Obama kmow he is not playing fair with this segmant of the USA citizen.[/quote]

Posted by: rnmina1 | January 27, 2010 11:24 PM | Report abuse

I admire the courage ans strength of Elizabeth Edwards and feel that the only thing she has to do is hold her head up high. She was faithful, honest, hard working and a dedicated mate. Her partner in life violated his vows and will regret this for the rest of his life.

Posted by: npsilver | January 27, 2010 11:37 PM | Report abuse

I lost a lot of respect for Elizabeth Edwards last summer, when she was constantly referring to the innocent little girl as "it" -- with a strange glee -- in every interview and on every talk show. That is shameful.

Posted by: clouburns | January 27, 2010 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Elizabeth's biggest mistake was going along with her husband's ruse - KNOWING he'd had an affair BEFORE he announced his candidacy.
Edwards' couldn't have run without Elizabeth's support.

Posted by: angie12106 | January 28, 2010 12:48 AM | Report abuse

Well,...about time, Elizabeth. However, what you did was wrong, too. You cheated the american public by going along with his ruse of been a great guy, someone we could trust.

For that, you should be ashamed.

Posted by: sandnsmith | January 28, 2010 1:06 AM | Report abuse

And Gay Marriage scares our society? Look at all the unstable and unhealthy heterosexual marriages. What an example they are setting for their kids. If these unions are the foundation of our society, we are in serious trouble.

Posted by: rcvinson64 | January 28, 2010 1:14 AM | Report abuse

I consider Elizabeth Edward no more remiss in the way she handled her marriage and her husband's infidelities, than I consider Hillary Clinton wrong in the way she handled her marriage.
I'm not sure what I would have done if I had known the intimate details of JFK's marriage to Jacqueline Kennedy. I'm a boomer and I thank my lucky stars I knew nothing.
Ambitious political wives will continue to overlook their husband's marital infidelities, until we elect strong women to high office, then perhaps this aberrant behavior will cease.

Posted by: rnmina1 | January 28, 2010 1:26 AM | Report abuse

The guy threw his life away. Pretty sad.

Posted by: tmaffolter | January 28, 2010 2:36 AM | Report abuse

A major creepy guy. Divorce bites

Posted by: vze4k4bh | January 28, 2010 6:02 AM | Report abuse

What about the home wrecker? She is to blame to, damm "TRAP" she knew exactly what she was doing. All I can say is... that you weep what you sow in this life. I hope she doesn't think that she is going to have a good life. It's one thing to have and affair with a married...but, to have his baby knowing that his wife was ill is a to little much.

Posted by: jworthington | January 28, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse