Love, etc.: Ricky Martin says he is a "fortunate homosexual"

Ricky Martin (AP Photo/Roberto Pfeil)

Out: Ricky Martin, who announced he's gay Monday. "I am proud to say that I am a fortunate homosexual man. I am very blessed to be who I am," he said in a statement on his Web site. The Latin pop star and father of two said he decided to write his memoirs a few months ago, a project that freed him "from things I was carrying within me for a long time." Martin said he wasn't sure how the news would affect his career: "It doesn't matter. . . . The word 'happiness' takes on a new meaning for me as of today." Read more here.

By The Reliable Source  |  March 29, 2010; 5:16 PM ET
Categories:  Love, Etc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 2010 Reliable Source Tournament: Who's going to the Gossip Final Four?
Next: This just in: Hillary Clinton screens "Countdown to Zero"; Jack Abramoff movie gets distributor

Comments

R. Martin merely confirmed thoughts about his sexuality that some people already had. I still like his music.

Posted by: bridget224jones | March 29, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

And the gay community collectively says, "DUH!!!"

Posted by: SubRosa2 | March 29, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad Mr. Martin was able to come to terms with his identity. Best of luck to him.

Posted by: nicekid | March 29, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

I knew he was gay when I saw him boogying with President-elect George W. Bush at a pre-inaugural party in 2001. There was an amusing picture in the Post the next day.

Posted by: swmuva | March 29, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

" Love, etc.: Ricky Martin says he is a "fortunate homosexual" "

WHAT!!!! This is news? I knew this 13 years ago, like the rest of America.

Posted by: BOBSTERII | March 29, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Tomorrow's headlines:

Mini-me announces he is short

Study Reveals Whites can't jump as high as others

Keith Olbermann announces he is a Democrat

Posted by: Barno1 | March 29, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Isn't there an element of treachery in all this? If he knew he was Gay, how is it right to con millions of teen-age girls who swooned over him? They probably would not have been as enamored, if they knew he was gay. Yes this is not 'good marketing' as even he admits. But is it also not dishonest to mislead people. How is it any different from Bernie Madoff taking millions from old people?

Let us imagine there was a closet-neo-Nazi who was also a sexy-looking rock star. After selling millions of records if he were to 'come out' and say he was a Nazi, wouldn't his fans be hurt?

I think this is wrong. He should be ashamed. Not because he is gay but because he lied.

Posted by: johnweisskopf | March 29, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

If you think Madoff ran a huge scam, Amway has ripped off millions of people for several decades, to the tune of 10s of billions of dollars.

Amway is a scam, and here's why: Amway pays out as little money as they can get away with, so they support the higher level IBOs ripping off their downline via the tool scam.

As a result, about 99% of IBOs operate at a net loss, while the top 1% make several TIMES more from their Amway tool scam than from the Amway products. This was made illegal in the UK in 2008, but our FTC is unable to pull their heads out of their butts to stop it here.

Read about it on this website: http://thenetprofitgroup.yolasite.com and forward the information to everyone you know, so they don't get scammed.

Posted by: texansay | March 29, 2010 10:31 PM | Report abuse

For some of us this hardly news. For those of you who feel he has deceived his many fans, understand we do live in a very homophobic society. At this point in his life I am sure he is aware that there will be some backlash for his coming out. However he seems to be in a place where the opinions of others are not a big deal to him. He has created this wonderful family for himself, and is happy at last. I wish the man the very best of luck in the future with his beautiful twin boys!!

Posted by: mlbennett95 | March 29, 2010 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Excuse me...why is this important?????

Posted by: lindarc | March 29, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse

His manager is his partner - CNN is live via LoggTV.com

Posted by: TelexView | March 29, 2010 11:19 PM | Report abuse

No, He's not. This cant be, i remember being a kid and listening to him. No way is he talking about a dang dude ok?!?! This is total bs. And ricky is not gay and whoever thinks he is, is a homo themselves

Posted by: tdlong85 | March 29, 2010 11:26 PM | Report abuse

She bangs, she bangs! .

Posted by: Barno1 | March 29, 2010 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: johnweisskopf |

johnweisskopf, being gay isn't easy for a lot of men and many go into a depression or think about suicide. At the time, it was in Ricky Martin's best interest not to mention his sexuality for marketing reason. I as most people felt, the man was homosexual, because he was a pretty boy and put attention on how he looked and worked on keeping his body tight and in shape. It's sad, many gay men keep their bodies in shape and focus on looking good. Heterosexual men need to get their fat behinds off the sofa drinking beer and watching sports and go to a gym and stay in shape. Most get married and get fat with beer stomachs. Ricky Martin isn't the only good looking famous or non famous man hiding his sexuality. There are men in the NFL, NBA, American/National Baseball League that are gay and bisexual. Gays, bisexuals, freaks have been around since the beginning of time. People need not judge other adults for sleeping with other adults of the same sex. Mind your business and get your own house in order. I wish this man all the best in life.

Posted by: cancer1 | March 29, 2010 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Everyone is acting like this is no big deal, but the fact that he had to pretend to be straight for so many years to keep his fan base is the heart of the story. Just read some of the derogatory remarks on many of the posts and you can begin to see why gay people try to pass for straight. Straight is the accepted norm and gay is viewed with scorn and derision. It's truly a sad state of affairs. I wish him well. None of this has been easy for him, and he deserves praise and not ridicule.

Posted by: jmdiaz10 | March 30, 2010 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Why should I care?

Posted by: EoGuy | March 30, 2010 12:31 AM | Report abuse

"Isn't there an element of treachery in all this? If he knew he was Gay, how is it right to con millions of teen-age girls who swooned over him? They probably would not have been as enamored, if they knew he was gay" Quote by johnweisskopf

It would be nice if you really knew some gay people John. And understood their issues.

Like being thrown out of their family, possibly losing their job, etc, just for admitting who they are. America is just so horribly horribly backwards in granting gay people equality under our civil laws vs Europe and almost all of what we consider the European world, and parts of South America as well. We need to crush the religious hatred that underpins homophobia in this country.

As well as re the girls - one of the things I've learned is that girls just love gay guys. Absolutely love them.

Because a gay guy being friends etc with a girl is because he likes the girl for who she is, not just as another conquest - fantasy or not. And the girls understand this very well.

As a high school girl told me last year, "all my boyfriends are gay" The gay kids they can love as people, while they understand the str8 boys see the girls as sex objects for the most part.

A little better understanding of how things work in the real world would help you a lot on this subject.

Stan

Posted by: SJames6621 | March 30, 2010 12:41 AM | Report abuse

In response to John Weisskoff's comment, above:

I think that you're right John, he lied, and lying is wrong. However, what he did wasn’t treacherous, and he shouldn’t be ashamed His lying is excused because of the double bind he was put into, a double bind you will never face in your life, and that no one should have to.

You have to put yourself in his shoes, years ago. For him at the time, it was either having a singing career or being honest about being a gay man. He chose to have a career. Would you not choose the same?

His lying is eclipsed by the greater wrong that he would have to make such a choice in the first place (this a consequence of the still greater wrong that so many wrongly think that being gay is inferior or disgusting and therefore support unjust policies and practices.) That he had to lie to survive tells us just how unfair our country is vis-à-vis its gay citizens.

I think that you’re a good person, John, so I call upon you to a straight ally and challenge antigay ugliness – both words and deeds - in your own life as best you can.

(For the record, I’m gay and think that all gays should be out / outed. What would work, I think, is testing at 18. Everyone knows a gay guy that they like; they just don’t know it yet.)

Posted by: dominickantonucci | March 30, 2010 1:32 AM | Report abuse

In response to jmdiaz10’s comments:

I couldn’t agree with you more and think you did a great job writing your thoughts out.

Indeed, the heart of the story is the terrible fact that he had to live a lie to have a career (the same can be said for Clay Aiken), and that, also, that being gay is viewed, wrongly, with scorn and derision

I do applaud his coming out, as you do. Still, it’s just a reminder of how much more progress must be made to rectify the current ‘truly sad state of affairs’.

This may come as a surprise, and may be inconsistent with what I’ve written above, but I’m in support of the outing of public figures. In fact, I often wonder if it wouldn’t be best for there to be testing for orientation at 18 or something like that.

Posted by: dominickantonucci | March 30, 2010 2:03 AM | Report abuse

Ricky has long "played" the media game where his sexuality is concerned. In 1986 (with Ricky at 15) questions were being raised about drug and sex parties in the news. In 1991 news broke of court action with several past and present members of Menudo involved (articles available online). Ricky and Robi Rosa both kept quiet during the court proceedings. Ricky stayed with the group after this. Do you really think his life of debauchery stopped there?

Just because someone is an artist and a has "nice guy" public persona...does not mean they are who you think they are or should be revered because they are in the public eye.

Ricky, are you going to tell the truth in your book?

Posted by: tomcat4 | March 30, 2010 2:16 AM | Report abuse

To all the people who claim to have known he was gay before he came out and said he was gay...you are liars. There is nothing more obnoxious and diabolical than people who claim to "know" someone else is gay. If I had a nickel for every celebrity that people claimed to know was gay, I'd be very rich. What a pathetic life you must have, spending your time speculating about other people's sexuality.

Posted by: nyc98765 | March 30, 2010 3:11 AM | Report abuse

I knew there was more to that shake your bon bon thing, knew it.

Posted by: Hillary08 | March 30, 2010 3:20 AM | Report abuse

Now if we could only get the Pope and most of his buddies to come clean

Posted by: jeromejmarkiewicz | March 30, 2010 4:47 AM | Report abuse

This story has nothing to do with Ricky Martin not being comfortable enough with his sexuality to come out but rather his desire to keep he fans' fanatasy about him alive so he could be famous and make money. For the rest of us gaysters who came out early in our lives, it's a slap in the face and weakly supports the theory that all you have to do is hide your identity in this world to succeed. So many of us choose to come out and be who we are regardless of the consequences; yet many of us face discrimination in our lives for this very reason. Ricky may be talented, but he also got by on lying to people about who he was. He will never be a role model to young people who wonder if they can still succeed if they come out, and it's a crying shame.

Posted by: tjet74 | March 30, 2010 7:31 AM | Report abuse

We knew! We ALL knew, Ricky! Especially after that VERY loooong engagement with, Rebeca de Alba, which never ended in a marriage...WE KNEW! If you would have kept on lying about your sexuality, I would not have listened to your music. Now that you are being a more honest artist, I bet you will get more fans! It's about time you fessed up!!!

Posted by: Lolas3000 | March 30, 2010 7:46 AM | Report abuse

Does his lagging career need a boost? Who cares anyway. These things are usually private with people who are secure within themselves.

Posted by: Doug20 | March 30, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Just recently Mexican singer Paquita la del Barrio, who's famous in the Latin music world, announced that she would rather let a child starve to death than be raised by a gay couple. At that time, there was no counterpoint in the Spanish-language media. So, yes, Ricky's statement is important.

Posted by: valandsend | March 30, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

A few people(cancer1, Sjames6621) have responded to my comment. I am not against gay people. By the way, it is curious how people automatically assume someone is gay if anything other than a hearty endorsement is aired. For all you know I may be gay too!

In any case this is not about me. My point about being treacherous was that people like Ricky Martin actually do a great disservice to everyone, by enforcing the fact that one cannot succeed unless one hides his homosexuality.

As for girls liking Gay men, it is a different kind of liking. Girls swooning over male sex-symbols is quite different from girls having gay friends.

I understand how tough it is for gay people. I am not denying it at all nor am I ignorant. This has nothing do with it.

Let me ask Dominic Antonucci (who said he was gay) this: If a guy pretended to be gay and made you fantasize about him and led you down the garden path and then declared he was not gay, would he not feel cheated? We have all heard about guys going crazy when they discover that the 'woman' they were hitting on in a bar turns out to be a transvestite. These are sensitive emotions and no one should toy with them. That, I think, is how many teen-aged girls feel. Also, this makes them cynical - Now they'll always wonder 'is this guy gay?' every time they meet a man!

Posted by: johnweisskopf | March 30, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Correction:
A few people(cancer1, Sjames6621) have responded to my comment. I am not against gay people. By the way, it is curious how people automatically assume someone is NOT gay if anything other than a hearty endorsement is aired. For all you know I may be gay too!

Posted by: johnweisskopf | March 30, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Pathetic.

Posted by: chiliboots2000 | March 30, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I regard this as a "jump the shark" ploy. It seems that when an entertainment personality has a career that has tanked they "come out". Kelly McGillis, Meredith Baxter, Ann Heche (oh wait she's now straight...or is she?), Ricky Martin, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some whose days of public acclaim are behind them. You may call it "brave", but to me it's a last desperate attempt for some free publicity.

Posted by: kakkalak | March 30, 2010 10:10 PM | Report abuse

I am shocked--shocked that he finally said something. Good for him, but it's a shame he waited until he was a has-been to do it. An ATRRACTIVE has-been, but still...

Posted by: jaynashvil | March 31, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Ricky Martin has always been gay. Everyone knows is a scam just like the Extra Innings Baseball Franchises. They are collecting money and not thinking about the real people.

Benny

Posted by: bennyjack17 | March 31, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

When our "American Society" finally realizes that homosexuals are a FACT of life, and can be treated equally, it will be a better world. That's why it is so important that famous people come out of the closet publicly. How about it Tyler Perry, Mario Lopez, Ryan S. etc.?

Posted by: latinofans | April 3, 2010 12:01 AM | Report abuse