What's next for White House Social Secretary Desiree Rogers?

Letitia Baldrige performing at the Funniest Celebrity in Washington contest. (Michael Wililiamson/The Washington Post)

What's an enterprising ex-White House Social Secretary to do? If she's smart, Desirée Rogers can leverage her year as the nation's top party planner into a whole new career.

The gold standard: Letitia Baldrige, who turned her tenure working for Jackie Kennedy into a 50-year social and etiquette industry: She's written 20 books, given speeches all over the globe and consulted on all things tasteful and elegant.

Former Bloomingdale's exec Ann Stock, who worked for Hillary Clinton, went from the White House to veep at the Kennedy Center for a dozen years; she's currently awaiting Senate confirmation as assistant secretary of state for education and cultural affairs. Her successor, Capricia Marshall, worked for Hillary's Senate and presidential campaigns before being named chief of protocol last year.

Rogers, well known for her impeccable taste and haute couture wardrobe, could easily segue into a high-profile corporate position, something in the fashion industry -- or head back to Chicago and just chill.

"I was perfectly happy to resume my old life," said Lea Berman, who worked for Laura Bush. "I see my friends, I travel with my husband and I know what my kids are up to -- which I didn't back then."

By The Reliable Source  |  March 1, 2010; 1:03 AM ET
Categories:  44: Obama's Washington
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: This Just In: Marie Osmond's son dies, Oprah gives Art Smith a big check, "Hurt Locker" producer in trouble with Academy Awards
Next: Navy launches new ship: the USNS Charles Drew

Comments

Barack and Michelle can hook her up with some million dollar "consulting" gig back in Chicago, with some connected company that will be needing favors from DC.

Posted by: Socialistic | March 1, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Unlike Ann Stock and the others Desiree Rogers doesn't have to work. She is divorced from the founder of the Ariel Mutual Funds Group.

Desiree can write her own ticket, she doesn't need anyones pen and paper.

Posted by: geoffrey2 | March 1, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Desiree took the one facet of Obama's life as POTUS that should have been seamless -- throwing a party -- and managed to make him and his Administration look like incompetent dolts.

Good job Desiree! You go girl. At least you've got your haute couture wardrobe and your ex-hubby's money. The true American Girl!

Posted by: lingering_lead | March 1, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

My monicker says it all.

Posted by: whocares666 | March 1, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Glossed over in all of this is WHY she left to begin with ???

Posted by: thgirbla | March 1, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Whatever she ventures, I sincerely hope it doesn't involve any kind of security.

Posted by: haysgirl66 | March 1, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone but me remember the glowing articles and photo spreads on Ms. Rogers when she was named to the job? I think it amusing that the powerful and perfect social secretary found herself powerless and sidelined after the Indian State dinner. A little bit MORE time with the guest list, and LESS time in wardrobe selection. That advice may be a bit late....

Posted by: ArmyVet1 | March 1, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

She screwed up big time, then they tried to blame it on the secret service. Who cares where she goes, just go.

Posted by: WingsofCrystal | March 1, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse