Barbara Bush (the other twin) makes solo debut as global health advocate

Barbara Bush at National Press Club. (Photo by Joyce Naltchayan Boghosian)Caption. (Source)

After a decade playing backup to her more flamboyant twin, Barbara Bush took a rare turn in the spotlight Wednesday.

Barbara made her first appearance at the National Press Club to talk about Global Health Corps, the nonprofit public health group she founded two years ago. She was just 18 when her father was elected president; a 2003 trip to Africa with her parents sparked her interest in global health issues. After a couple years in museum work, the Yale humanities alum now sends young post-grads to underserved communities in the United States and Africa to provide basic health care -- and she's clearly passionate about the subject.

But the most revealing part of her speech came when the notoriously private twin, now 28, answered audience questions about her parents and sis Jenna Bush Hager, who tagged along to the lunch for support.

The New York resident said she's not interested in a political or media career (she doesn't even own a television), but said her sister's work on the "Today" show is "amazing": "I think Jenna was born an entertainer, so it's perfect."

What, exactly, was her sister's most "entertaining" moment? "I have too many to say. I need to get them vetted from her before I speak."

She was as discreet as her mother's memoir, which, she said, contained nothing to embarrass either daughter.

Would she ever co-author a book with Jenna? Barbara glanced at her twin. "Probably ... not. We don't know if there's a market for it."

She said being a first daughter did not give her a leg up in the business world. "My previous positions definitely started at the bottom: I've been an assistant to people, interned in organizations, gotten coffee for my bosses, done what everyone else was doing. So I don't think that played a big role in my work experience."

Advice for Malia and Sasha Obama? "I think that they're very smart, lovely girls and they obviously have parents who are very devoted to them," she said. "Take advantage of the opportunities. Take advantage of getting to be with your parents and see them in the role they're doing. And travel with your parents. What an experience for two little girls."

By The Reliable Source  |  May 27, 2010; 1:05 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: This just in: Oprah shuts down Angel Network charity
Next: Love, etc.: Crystal Bowersox breaks up with cute boyfriend before "Idol" finals

Comments

Wow, that was an incredibly newsless bit of news. Thanks for the fluff. BTW, what is Buddy up to? Did he get a new chew toy for his birthday?

Posted by: harkish | May 27, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Oops, sorry, I see Buddy, Bill's dog, died in 2002. But you could do a piece on his good nature, and how he got along with his 5 twin brothers and sisters while he was around soiling the Rose Garden.

Posted by: harkish | May 27, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

harkish, you're reading the 'reliable source.' if you want news, turn to A1.

Posted by: BertinDC | May 27, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

"The Reliable Source: Roxanne Roberts and Amy Argetsinger share gossip from inside the Beltway and Beyond."

So harkish, what exactly were you expecting? Why do you read the Style section and then complain about it being "news"?

Posted by: nuzuw | May 27, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

What did you expect from "The Reliable Source", harkish? Its thrust is interesting minutia. Take away from it what you will.

Posted by: iamweaver | May 27, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

I see Barbara as a role model that anyone could emulate. Dedicated to helping others, self-effacing, and sweet. Great qualities. The best people often stay behind the scenes.

Posted by: LifeBeforePrinciple | May 27, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

May I say, without a grain of bitterness, that I wish all the luck in the world to this fine young woman and her noble project.

Arrest her dad as the war criminal he is.

Posted by: JenDray | May 27, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Wow..did she get old in a hurry.

Posted by: joeshabadoo2391 | May 27, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Do I hear a note of cattiness from the reporter- or is that just my imagination? Waiting around for this young woman to blunder as a reportable event, then sounding rather disappointed that she did not, reflects the tone too many in the media - the 24-hour "gotcha" part - have incorporated into their delivery of "news." This used to be the kind of stuff one would read in the tabloids, the stuff on movie stars and the like... Stop it!

Posted by: jujones1 | May 27, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if she is as big of an idiot as her dad was?

It does run in families you know.

Posted by: Andrea_KC | May 27, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

All class...just like the rest of the family. Won't catch her boot on somebody's neck...

Posted by: bander70 | May 27, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Certainly don't see her working for a hedge fund.....

Posted by: bander70 | May 27, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Man, you people are bitter. Try channeling some of that energy.

Posted by: GetReal3 | May 27, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

I actually do think this is newsworthy. Its interesting to hear that the daughter of a president is parlaying her experience into something positive, yet clearly blazing her own trail.

I was no George W. Bush fan, but his children should have the right to stand on their own and not be tarnished by the ill deeds of their father. To me, it sounds like perhaps she is working to absolve him.

Posted by: CNY-DC | May 27, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Here you have someone who actually seems legit, and the stupid media asks her instead about her sister who prostituted herself out to the today show, and her mom who wrote a dumb book. The media is awful.

Posted by: 123cartoon | May 27, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Harkish... This one was part of the FRONT PAGE... I didn't think it was going to be meaningless blubber

Posted by: cparada | May 27, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Wow!

Posted by: drfields | May 27, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Lovely young woman doing good in the world. Children ought not to be judged by their parents. It was news to me that her sister works for NBC on the Today Show - gave that up years ago. I don't get the constipated comments about where this story appears or why it isn't news. Don't want to waste your time with it? Please stop whining about it.

Posted by: greyK | May 27, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

This was a great piece...and it is important to have a grasp on political families...they often tend to be leaders in the next world..weren't the Kennedy's young once upon a time.

I was not a Bush fan, but Laura and the girls have done a very admirable job in the past 2 yrs showing grace, decency and prudence in public. I have come to hold them in high esteem and they are classy. Hopefully Laura will have a 'Ms Manners' chat with Dick and family soon.

Posted by: LeastOfThese | May 27, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Why won't those people just go away?

Posted by: lindalovejones | May 27, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

I would...like to...plow her.

Posted by: BrownTown5000 | May 27, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

btw
I think the negative comments are coming from "Tea Party" media wolves, of course not realizing from Barbara's classy appearance that she came from their ranks.

Surely they are upset about social giveaway programs when Halliburton could be clearing a nice profit for the work instead.

Posted by: LeastOfThese | May 27, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Awesome! I feel so informed about absolutely nothing. And that was a teaser on the front page of the website? Please don't turn into Entertainment Tonight...please don't hire Mark McGrath...I know print media is dying but at least you can die with respect.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | May 27, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Sometimes, good (Barbara) does come from evil (Dubya). This lady is engaged in a nobel venture, global health initiatives. I do hope, however, that she doesn not infuse her daddy's twisted ideological thinking that condoms should not be part of PEPFAR.

Family planning and condoms should be integral parts of any of basic health care initiative in underserved communities in the United States and Africa because these tools help families control unwanted pregancies and spread of HIV and other STDs.

One simple analogy: An African man will continuously have sex with his wife to get her pregnant even though he has AIDS and the child might develop the disease. Open communications about the dangers of such actions and how it can be mitigated can go a long way in pushing back against the spread of HIV and kids being born with AIDS.

Posted by: hadelaide | May 27, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Sounds like a bright young woman with a promising future and a commitment to making a contribution. We need more of those. But what's with that ear sticking so far out?

Posted by: noybizz | May 27, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

I don't know that there was another President in my lifetime that made me cringe as much as George Dubya Bush; everytime he showed up on T.V. all I could do was wait for him to make one of his stupid mistakes (sorta like Palin without the lipstick). But, I am very impressed with him and his family since leaving the White House. Laura is very classy and her genes are definately dominate in her daughters. Dubya on the other hand...still stupid, but at least he's not parading around like a DICK like Chaney. Bad President...Good Family.

Posted by: Beingsensible | May 27, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Buddy was nothing more than a prop, so that in the middle of the Monica mess he appear more human. Buddy died when he was hit by a car in Chappaqua, after he had outlived his purpose -- which to me shows Bill as a colossal POS.

GWB would never be that kind evil.

Posted by: rustybud | May 27, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

A lovely young woman who should make her parents very proud. I am sure she was raised to care for others. She has looks, class and certainly intelligence.

Posted by: somberjules | May 27, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Barbara is a beautiful girl (despite the Klingon ears) and I hopes she continues helping underserved communities with Health Care Needs through her Global Health Corps.

Posted by: liveride | May 27, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the update, WaPo. It's nice to hear that Barbara's started a foundation to help others; she seems very empathetic. It's refreshing to hear of a celebrity who answers the questions she's asked, and has only positive comments about others. Very classy.

Posted by: Voter4Integrity | May 28, 2010 1:17 AM | Report abuse