Michelle Obama's dress -- and new state dinner hairstyle

More Michelle Obama hair photos!

Check it out. (Mark Wilson/Getty Images)

The first lady debuted a new look for the White House state dinner. It's sort of an up-do (okay, commenters say it's not, so it's not), much curlier than usual, and... well, that's really all there is to say. (The sapphire blue gown is by Peter Soronen.) Nothing controversial. Just pointing it out. Feel free to share your thoughts. And yes, we know there are more important things going on in the world -- other people cover that stuff.

Read more about the White House Mexico State Dinner.

UPDATED: See photos of Michelle Obama's new hairstyle from many different angles! News you can use!

By The Reliable Source  |  May 19, 2010; 8:57 PM ET
Categories:  First Family , White House State Dinner
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Quoted: Fred Thompson on the end of "Law & Order"
Next: Love, etc.: John Travolta and Kelly Preston expecting a baby

Comments

So she curled her hair tonight. Big deal other than that she looks amazing, as always. Reminds me of Whitney Houston's hairdo from "The Bodyguard" but MUCH better! No updo if you think about the fact that she's got a short bob (unless there's something going on in the back we can't see).

Posted by: BruinGirl2001 | May 19, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

She looks stunning and the soft curls are gorgeous! She never does it wrong IMHO.

Posted by: cecemisch | May 19, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

She looks absolutely GORGEOUS!!

Posted by: 123larc1 | May 19, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Michelle looks SMOKING HOT!!! The curls really softened her features and made her look softer, more feminine. I had no idea curls could do that for a woman. But man, the whole package, SMOKING!!! She should wear her hair curly more often. The straight hair may be low maintenence, but the curly look ups the hotness factor.

Posted by: changingfaces | May 19, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Awesome hair! But something is awkward about that dress. Nice color but too tight? Riding too high up? The top part resembles someone wearing a rain barrel with the straps too high. http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-1916537/stock-photo-naked-man-wearing-a-wooden-barrel.html

Posted by: deld | May 19, 2010 11:07 PM | Report abuse

ladies and gentlemen it is not an up do just a curly bob.
as usual the first couple looks elegant and so refined.
such a contrast to the last occupants of the peoples' house.

Posted by: ninnafaye | May 19, 2010 11:16 PM | Report abuse

It's a wig.

Posted by: AnnReid | May 20, 2010 12:15 AM | Report abuse

Curly bob, updo, wig, natural hair, fabulous dress is a bit of a high rider or it was more revealing than Michelle is comfortable with so she hiked it up a bit. But, Who CARES? She's our First Lady not a runway model.

Michelle Obama is ALWAYS Sharp, Smart, Sophisticated, and perfectly LOVELY. I love her new hair-do and make-up!

Is it my imagination or has she updated her brows? She's gorgeous! Gorgeous, Smart, femininely strong, and entirely Captivating. What woman wouldn't want to emulate her? Michelle O. does U.S. proud.

Posted by: alaskansheilah | May 20, 2010 4:30 AM | Report abuse

She looks like a mean woman no matter what she wears.

I don't worship at the First Church of Obama.

Posted by: wmpowellfan | May 20, 2010 5:09 AM | Report abuse

When you're her size and shape, you can't be a template--did she look in a mirror at that flap of whatever hanging over the bodice? Any designer would love to do things for her and make something genuine flattering.

Posted by: Beckola | May 20, 2010 5:49 AM | Report abuse

She looks again like she is supporting the Oldest Profession in the world.

Posted by: ERC08 | May 20, 2010 6:52 AM | Report abuse

I'm a life-long Republican who doesn't care for Barack Obama, but I think Michelle is gorgeous, classy, & very intelligent. She looked amazing in the dress and hairdo (wig? if so, why not?) and looked very elegant, not at all like she is "supporting the Oldest Profession in the world."

I also think that Laura Bush always looked lovely in a more mature (all right, matronly) way.

Posted by: imzadi | May 20, 2010 6:59 AM | Report abuse

OMG! Michelle looks wonderful. Ever since she hit the national stage, I have been fortunate enough to be compared to her look, height and body style. At first, I took slight offense. I've since wised up and take it all as a compliment. No disrepect to any other first ladies, but Michelle O. is truly awesome!

Posted by: kweenbee | May 20, 2010 7:17 AM | Report abuse

Madame Sasquatch is hideous, designer dress or no designer dress.

Posted by: screwjob15 | May 20, 2010 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Michelle Obama loked amazing and lovely! I predict she's going to start something to emulate with her look last night. Fabulous!

Posted by: lindsaycurren | May 20, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Not sure if it's a wig, but if it is, a good one. I love the dress but the front is a little bunchy making it look uncomfortable. I suspect those silver earrings are Mexican silver for the occasion.

Posted by: manzil2594-washingtonpost | May 20, 2010 8:14 AM | Report abuse

This is the smart and modern glam look of educated, beautiful and young women of the cultured life. It is absolutely fabulous, better than what you would see on the runways. Those models are missing the smart factor. The negative comments regarding our first lady should show what they look like and, please, show your resume.

Posted by: cmwb | May 20, 2010 8:14 AM | Report abuse

Glamorous AND smart. What a delight to have her as our First Lady.

Posted by: arlington50 | May 20, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Beauty and Brains! Stunning as usual. (And, no, it's not a wig.)

Posted by: Is_this_thing_on | May 20, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Paint her any way you want libs.

But at the end of the day, shes still just a dressed up hoodrat.

Posted by: dashriprock | May 20, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

ouch! who did that to her? she normally looks sleek and glamorous.

in that get-up and hair-do, she looks like a tart.

Posted by: potomacfever00 | May 20, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

The dress is a lovely color, but like the last state dinner dress, it is not properly fitted. That roll of skin where the dress meets the armpit is very unattractive. Another inch of material might have prevented this and when I saw the pictures I wanted to tell her to yank her dress up, just like the last state dinner dress needed to be tugged up about two inches. You'd think the designers would look at her in the dress, or she'd look at herself in the mirror before leaving the room.

Posted by: jmc10 | May 20, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

I loved the hairdo, but I think that the dress was a bit ill-fitting, which is too bad, it was a lovely dress. I'm a Michelle Obama fan, she is an intelligent and accomplished woman, and I'd kill to have those arms, but I do sometimes think that tales of her fashion and style sense are a bit overblown. Thankfully, in the larger scheme of life, one's fashion sense matters very little.

Posted by: jes73 | May 20, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

This is pretty much the substantive journalism I've come to expect from this rag. Terrorist attempts weekly on our soil, illegals by the millions with more on the way, millions out of work, millions losing their homes, record bank closures, mid east war raging on, the economy near collapse...........and what do we hear from the WAPO rag?????

Michele has a new hairdo.

And all the pomp and circumstance while the people eat cake. I bet she is proud.

Posted by: Bcamp55 | May 20, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

She looks BEAUTIFUL! Gorgeous as ever! She always has the "glamour" aura! Amazing! (BTW: The "mean" comments are coming from women (or men) who or not happy with their body shapes, faces, hair, etc. - you know who you are...)

Michelle Obama "Rocks!"

Posted by: periodot | May 20, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

what a shame that the dress doesn't fit properly on top; otherwise, she'd be perfect. maybe it would have fit better w/ 2 straps.

Posted by: ktzmom13 | May 20, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to ditto the comment from above by imzadi. Just because I am a Republican doesn't mean that I can't also appreciate the fact that Michelle Obama is a classy, attractive, intelligent first lady. Yes, the dress is not the best, and I have to say, I'm not really a fan of this particular hairdo, but why oh why would anybody want to denigrate the First Lady with slurs like "hoodrat" and "Sassquatch"? She represents you on a world-wide stage. You don't have to like her or her husband's politics, but don't let that blind your own ability to show basic respect for a person. The lack of respect in today's society, combined with the rush to insert your own judgmental criticisms, is really bringing down the whole level of intelligent discourse in this country.

Posted by: govols1 | May 20, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Did dinner guests bring their Tupperware so they could take home leftovers?

Posted by: Baltimore11 | May 20, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Hair and makeup are on point and fabulous. Wish the dress on the strapless side fit better. It looks like there is something that is stiff holding up the top part of the dress and it looks like it's cutting her. I love the dress, though, it's unfortunate what it'd doing to her. Wig? I think not. She has a local hairstylist at her beck and call.

Posted by: greensboroagent | May 20, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

If fashion photographers instead of news photographers were photographing, the dress would look better.

Posted by: kay_sieverding | May 20, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

She looks horrible. My god!

Posted by: TheLastBrainLeft | May 20, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

The soft curly hairstyle suits her and that dress is gorgeous, though I agree the bodice needed fine-tuning. She looks absolutely stunning and I always melt when her husband looks at her like she is the most beautiful woman in the world. Every woman deserves that look from the man she loves. I always thought Laura Bush looked refined and lovely too. She's shorter, older and rounder than Michelle Obama, and knew how to dress for her body type in Oscar de la Renta.

Posted by: greyK | May 20, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

She looks horrible. My god!

Posted by: TheLastBrainLeft | May 20, 2010 12:00 PM
*******************************************
I wish we could see your picture. Something tells me your no beauty yourself. And the fact that you use God in vain makes you not attractive IMO

Posted by: letsgetreal | May 20, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

SHE LOOKS MAAAAAA VELOUS!!

pweety

loverly,

pwehus

FABULOUS

georgeous

BEAUTI-MOUS

I'm SO PROUD to have her as my First L1ady! Best girl - and couple - to grace the White House YET!

Posted by: shes_cleva | May 20, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

oops i meant PWESHUS

Posted by: shes_cleva | May 20, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

She looks fabulous, as always. The President and First Lady have natural grace and elegance. I'm always wowed by how good he looks.

Posted by: sthalsey | May 20, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Not that it really matters, but her hair looks awful and eye make-up is too much. Yeah and the dress fits a bit awkward on top, but I like the color on her.

Posted by: Mlpthink | May 20, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Another strap would fix the armpit popover; the eye makeup looks like a drag queen. Too bad people are still out of work, the economy is still in the toilet, and the war is still going on in Iraq while this shindig is top news. Sheesh. So much for change.

Posted by: Baltimore11 | May 20, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Baltimore11, did you not read the part of the story where the RS pointed out that all that real news stuff is covered elsewhere in the paper? By the way, "this shindig" as you so ignorantly refer to an official state dinner, CREATED jobs: who do you think waited on all those tables and sold all those dresses and did all those women's hair and drove all those limos? Try not to be such a mindless parrot of right-wing nuttery.

Posted by: 7900rmc | May 20, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

She looks great, always does . . . my favorite shots of her are when she's with children, though. The one from yesterday's slideshow with two little tykes gazing up at her while hanging on her knees is the epitome of the spirit she evokes in us all.

And I must add that we are blessed with a President and first lady who possess brains, common sense and political priorities sufficient to lead us in the 21st century. All that and they look fabulous.

Posted by: talitha1 | May 20, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Michelle Obama has the ugliest mouth possible. Her teeth look like they belong on a horse. Although I must admit, that this photo is the best one that I've ever seen of her, but that's still not saying much. But really, she couldn't afford to buy the other strap to her dress?

Posted by: MaderaCA | May 20, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

This photo is the best that I've ever seen of Michelle Obama. She still looks like she's got a horse mouth, though. WILBUUUUURRRRRRR!

Posted by: MaderaCA | May 20, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Michelle Obama is a beautiful woman. She is so statuesque and beautiful. A far cry from the sticks and bones everyone goes so gaa gaa over these days. I do think with Michelle's build and stature, she looks so much better in solid colors or blocked colors than when she goes with the prints. The prints just don't work for her. I hope to see her wearing more solid colors, any color, just not those bold prints or impish little flowery things. You look beautiful Mrs. Obama.

Posted by: keyslammer1 | May 20, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Lt. Worf looks good in a dress. QAPLA'!!!

Posted by: bryan2369 | May 20, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Those who critize Michelle should have to post their bio's and pictures.

Posted by: alvin12 | May 20, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

I know that the Post is a supporter of free speech, but there should be some kind of limitation on such racist commentary and rants as have been displayed here today. people like dachriprock,screwjob15, bryan2369 and erc08 should be ashamed of themselves. This is the first lady of the United States we are talking about. What ever happened to human decency? Even the bigots of my youth would have been more selective in the where and when of their comments than these peole have been.

Posted by: biblemike | May 20, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

SHE LOOKS YOUNG, NATURAL, HUMOROUS, HAPPY. THE EXACT OPPOSITE TO NANCY OR BARBARA.

Posted by: arcoveus | May 20, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: arcoveus | May 20, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: arcoveus | May 20, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: arcoveus | May 20, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: arcoveus | May 20, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

She looked so elegant as always.

Posted by: audrey2010 | May 20, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Absolutely lovely.

Posted by: hakafos44 | May 21, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

The dress however, needed tailoring. She has a lovely hour glass figure and the skirt was too full. The dress worn at the first state dinner was perfect for her shape.

Posted by: hakafos44 | May 21, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

The gown's color is gorgeous and very flattering. The bodice, however, fits horribly. The silhouette is perfect for Mrs. Obama's "inverted triangle" (not hourglass) figure. Hair and makeup, flawless.

Posted by: p2styles | May 21, 2010 11:42 PM | Report abuse