Salahis say White House stop with TV crew is a "coincidence."

UPDATED, Friday afternoon with "Inside Edition" recap (see below)

Some oldies but goodies: Michaele at a 2009 Halloween party, the couple at a 2004 Wolf Trap gala, Tareq showing off the fruits of his family's Oasis Winery in 2006. (Doris Truong/The Washington Post), Gerald Martineau/The Washington Post, Mark Finkenstaedt for The Washington Post)

No. Please! Not again.

How else to react to the news that Tareq and Michaele Salahi were stopped by Secret Service in front of the White House as the Mexico state dinner was going on?

The infamous gatecrashers, whose presence at the last state dinner is still under investigation, were among four people in a stretch limo that was stopped after it ran a red light at 15th and Constitution NW around 8 p.m. Wednesday and then tried to turn into a restricted area at the Ellipse, according to Secret Service spokesman Edwin Donovan. They were stopped a few blocks away, at 17th and H, where the driver got a ticket.

Oh, and guess who was along for the ride? A camera crew. Just like the last time! Except, instead of Bravo's "Real Housewives of D.C." -- the Salahis spent months taping the not-yet-aired reality show last year -- it was a team from CBS's "Inside Edition." (The segment billed by as a night "on the D.C. party circuit with the notorious Salahis!" will air at 9 a.m. Friday on WUSA.)

Publicity stunt? "This wasn't planned," their lawyer David Silek told us. Tareq told NBC News it was an "unbelievable coincidence"; his wife added that it gave her "a very sick feeling."

Silek said the Salahis just happened to be in the neighborhood for a long-planned party at Kellari Taverna on K Street "to thank some of their friends for sticking by them during the late unpleasantness." Their crowd of 20 or so pals and cameramen later resurfaced at the newly opened Buddha Bar. In an even better coincidence: The Salahis' publicist during the state dinner saga, Mahogany Jones, e-mailed us Wednesday evening -- one hour before the red-light pullover! -- to announce that she's no longer repping them. "I wish the couple the best," she said.

UPDATED Friday afternoon:

So, that "Inside Edition" segment lasted all of two minutes. It showed the Salahis clinking champagne flutes in a Four Seasons hotel room, for some reason; then setting out on the town (Michaele in a fringe-hemmed micro-minidress that was pretty amazing and a white fur-like coat), to Kellari Taverna and Buddha Bar (just like we told you). Michaele talks about how unreal the past six months have been and how she copes by staying true to herself, blah blah blah. And no one -- not the Salahis, not the reporter, not host Deborah Norville -- says a word about the traffic stop.

This is an updated version of an earlier story.

By The Reliable Source  |  May 22, 2010; 2:00 PM ET
Categories:  Real Housewives of D.C. , White House State Dinner , White House crashers
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: White House Mexico Dinner: Beyonce, the non-spouse dates, and other leftovers
Next: Quoted: Wale denies homophobia charges in tweets, sort of

Comments

The Salahi's.
We can't get enough of them and love to hear what is new.
Good for them that they are back to enjoying life.

Posted by: lisag1 | May 20, 2010 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Those media hoar Salahis accidentally drove into a restricted area around the Ellipse on the night of the Mexico state dinner. Yeah right!! And then they expect an apology from the White House for kicking them out of the state dinner that they crashed? Give me a break! THEY owe the Obamas an apology.

Posted by: MitchL | May 21, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Now, please, let's give this couple the benefit of the doubt.

I'm sure there was a reasonable explanation for running a red light and trying to turn into a restricted area of the Elipse.

Maybe they were speeding to take a deliberately circuitous route to their dinner in order to try and shake various private process servers following them in order to serve them with court papers for their multitide of debts? Or maybe it was just the Hays Adam bartender from 6 months ago?

Just a thought.

Posted by: LAWPOOL | May 21, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

The Salahis must be lying again, because their lips are moving.

Coincidence? I think not!

Posted by: ehsmith1 | May 21, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

First off, given this couples history,Nothing they've done thus far is coincidental,everything is CALCULATED to drum up publicity and gain them yet more attention, they're ADDICTED to the pursuit of being famous. Michaele,Missy,Michelle Whatever alias she's going by,now has her own website up where she makes more exaggerated proclamations of status, calling herself an American TV Actor, swearing the media has been misinformed about them, which is in itself delusional. The media did their job by uncovering all the dirt on them i.e mile long law suits against them, mounds of debts unpaid, the many self proclaimed lives that never were..Redskin cheerleader, Victoria Secret Model, Chanel Model on and on...Her engagement announcement is just plain Creepy. Former co -workers from her days as a cosmetic counter girl at Nordstrom's said she even invented a fictitious "fiance" No one has ever seen him,she just showed up one day proclaiming she was engaged.. Sound familiar? Just like the fictitious character "David Mortz" and "Roger Stern" both supposedly higher ups in the Polo organization that only seem to exist online. I'd like to know how the friends/family of these two Pathological liars can stand behind them? At what point do you think, hmmmm something here isn't right.. It's not rocket science ppls...

Posted by: Holly1971 | May 22, 2010 2:29 AM | Report abuse

As for the claims the White House owes them an apology, and how they are oh so gracious.. Remember these are the SAME two people that will take you to court should you try to collect on any debt owed to you. Bullying tactics are a well known practice with Tareq. Let's see how gracious they are when everyone CRASHES their Polo event next month....How Gracious were they when they failed to pay employees? Then turning around and SUING former employees for quitting..oh yeah, so Gracious.

Posted by: Holly1971 | May 22, 2010 2:34 AM | Report abuse

To quote someone who posted the following comment on this blog after the Salahis pleaded the Fifth before Congress back in January, "Fame is fleeting, and as the limelight fades, their 'party circuit' will only include venues having sawdust on the floor."

Posted by: ehsmith1 | May 22, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Holly1971 and ehsmith1:

I do enjoy reading your comments.

By the way, I suspect lisag1 is one of Missy's alter ego screen names, but you probably already recognized that.

Posted by: LAWPOOL | May 22, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

lisag..... come on! give us a break. how much did you get paid for that comment or are you paying yourself? get lost.

Posted by: bruce30 | May 22, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

bruce30:

Can't blame you for your obvious frustration expressed re the "lisag" prior comment. It was sort of, actually really, stupid.

But here's something you may not realize.

For the uninitiated, you need to keep in mind that all of the sordid details of this couple in the press over the last 6 months has generated comments from various rather suspect repeat posters, including but not limited to, "susan", "susanD", "lisag" and "lisag1".

Those in the know and familiar with this very sad history have pretty much concluded those are all quite likely alter ego screen names of one or both of the Salahis, most likely Michaele, a/k/a Missy or Michelle [her actual legal given name] Holt [her maiden name].

And it's really not all that hard to pick up the recurring pattern of repeated grammatical errors in those posts, which I assume is a reflection on Missy's limited high school education.

As just one example, rather, when referring to what should be the "Salahis" as a plural, those posters [she?] always use "Salahi's" instead, which would, under correct grammar and spelling, indicate the possessive of one 'Salahi', but not a collective reference to the couple in a non-possesive sense.

So, I would suggest not to get upset at "lisag1" because of apparent stupidity or asking if she had been paid off; instead get upset because that poster is quite likely one of the Salahis themselves.

Just a thought/opinion.

Posted by: LAWPOOL | May 22, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

It is Clearly obvious these alias's "LisaG1" "Susan" "SusanD" and "Deb" are none other than "Michaele" and Tareq Salahi themselves, these sn's appear on practically every articles comment section involving them. Outside of these two doing prison time, I'd also like the media to confirm whether or not "Michaele" was born Female.. I'm no medical doctor by any means but I've never heard of any medical condition that would result in a natural born female with an Adams Apple as prominent as hers.. There have been reports in the media prior to moving to VA no one can recall the Holt family or Michaele herself..I find this odd, being from Pa myself, I do know t most of Pa consists of a cluster of small tight knit towns and communities where everyone knows everyone..( think Mayberry from the Andy Griffith show ) yet long time residents don't recall a Holt family living in Wilkes Barre, PA ( where "Michaele" supposedly grew up ) I find this extremely Odd, especially for a woman who is so striking and TALL she would've been hard to miss..this leads me to believe she comes from a family of grifters as there are so many inconsistencies concerning not only her current life but the earlier part as well... This woman is an enigma, during her years as a cosmetic counter sales person, quite a few former co workers never really knew her, they did say however she was "friendly" but remained very distant, no one remembers her having any actual close friends but she often bragged about being a former Super Model and of course her fictitious Fiance no one had ever seen..

Posted by: Holly1971 | May 22, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Holly1971:

Oh my. Interesting, but I'm not sure I want to even go there.

I already wretch each time this couple opens their respective mouths. I really don't need any more to disguist me.

For now, I'll continue to assume she's just a quite unattractive woman.

Posted by: LAWPOOL | May 23, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Very interesting theories re Michaele. Then again, truth is stranger than fiction. Sounds like a real-life version of "The Crying Game". To borrow from Sir Winston Churchill, the Salahis are a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.

Posted by: ehsmith1 | May 23, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

ehsmith1:

Re your most recent comment, I really don't think there is any mystery here.

At least Mr. Salahi's background is pretty much an open book, especially everything that has come out in the public record in the last 6 months or so.

Some might opine, in reviewing those records, this is a case of an over-indulged son of hard-working Palestinian immigrants who did their best to create a small vineyard in the hills of Virginia and provide for their children in the process. That would be a classic example of an American success story.

Some might also opine that Tareq tasted the "good life" and did not want to give that up, notwithstanding the fact that his parents' vineyard simply could not support his lifestyle. In the process, one could opine, based upon the public documents, he alienated his entire family and potentially wasted all of his parents' efforts and hard work.
And that just might be the classic American tragedy.

Some might also opine that Missy Holt was of the same ilk, his soul-mate, so to speak, in pursuing and over-the-top lifestyle which neither really could afford.

It was Leona Helmsley, I believe, many years ago who was quoted as saying "Only little people pay taxes."

Well, there are, quite unfortunately, a fair number of people out there that support their otherwise unsustainable lifestyles with the proposition that "Only little people pay their debts."

So, I really don't think there is any mystery, much less an enigma, here.

Just my opinion.

Posted by: LAWPOOL | May 23, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Holly1971 & ehsmith1:

I suppose I should also add the following. I hold no personal ill will toward the Salahis. Never met them, and quite frankly never care to.

My only continuing concern is and has always been that all people, including the Salahis, be held accountable for their actions.

If that means indictment for White House antics, then so be it. If not, then I can live with that.

If that means indictment by the Commonwealth of Virginia for charity fraud, then so be it. If not, then I can live with that also.

If that means indictment by the US Attorney's Office for possible tax violations or even potential fraud re a USDA grant to "Oasis Enterprises, Inc.", then so be it. If not, then I can live with that also.

One thing I cannot accept and tolerate, however, is erst-while self-described "socialites" riding around in limousines and partying without an apparent care in the world, while at the same time their many legitimate creditors, including former employees, contractors and even the local government of Montgomery County, Maryland all remain unpaid for their incurred debts.

Once they satisfy all their debts, including potential taxes, etc., then if they wish to effectively prostitute themselves by subjecting themselves to public ridicule in the national media/television arena, far be it for me to object. Good for them, I suppose.

I, for one, won't be watching.

I'd suggest, however, the time may come for them in the not-too-distant future to maybe get real jobs, perhaps dishing out tacos or flipping hamburgers.

Just a thought.

But until they make good on their outstanding debts and obligations, the benefits of which they enjoyed, and some just might suspect were used to finance their over-the-top and self-indulgent lifestyles, I don't think it too unreasonable to subject them, and their finances, to continued intense scrutiny.

I pay my bills in a timely fashion, and I am proud to say I have never bounced a check. Seems the Salahis can hardly say the same. I tend to think it's really not too much to insist that they simply pay their bills before any more enjoyment of their apparent self-indulgent lifestyle.

Just my opinion, an opinion I think most people who actually work for a living and actually pay their debts would agree with.

Posted by: LAWPOOL | May 23, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I have no argument with LAWPOOL's comments. When it comes right down to it, there really is nothing mysterious at all about the Salahis and their actions.

As much as I am angered by their actions, at the same time I am deeply saddened at the unfolding personal disaster playing out in their lives. Both of them have to be such incredibly insecure, unhappy people to think that the only way they can seek validation for their existence in this life has to come via being something that they never were, are not now, and never will be.

Posted by: ehsmith1 | May 23, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

ehsmith1:

I tend to think you are really much too kind.

Remember, these are the same people whom, when faced with claims from employees/contractors for legitimate claims of non-payment, apparently bullied them by threatening counter-suits. [Not my characterization, just look at all the media reports.]

The same couple that attempted to bully local newspapers with threats of lawsuits when those papers simply reported the factual statement of the May 2009 Commonwealth of Virginia press release re the investigation of the Salahis' purported charity, Journey for the Cure Foundation.

Call me old-fashioned, but I've got say I feel no "sadness" for this pathetic couple.

Pity? Maybe. But sadness? No.

Because, and I think this is important to keep in mind, chances are, as much as it very much disguists me, I suspect they intend to cash in a very big way on their unfortunate infamy and notoriety.

Want to express sadness about someone? Here's some thoughts. Feel very sad for Tareq's parents. And feel free to express sadness, if you really feel it is deserved, for those stupid viewers who will pay attention and tune in to see this classic example of trailer trash.

Feel sad especially for the parents, and maybe for the stupid public, but not, I submit, for the Tareq & Michaele Salahi themselves.

There really does come a time in most peoples' lives that they are faced with the stark reality of taking responsibility for their actions. Some get away without ever facing that reality. Some do not.

Just my opinion.

Posted by: LAWPOOL | May 23, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Since when do grifters need a publicist?

I just hope they're paying their bills, and that the state of Virginia can get to the bottom of their charity shenanigans.

When a charity fundraiser spends more on the lifestyles of the administrator than it donates to a worthy cause, it should be relabeled to what it is: FRAUD.

Posted by: postfan1 | May 24, 2010 3:52 AM | Report abuse

This morning my husband passed by a Metrobus with an ad for America's Polo Cup on the side. He spilled his coffee all over himself as he was laughing so hard when he saw it. He says bus ads are pretty much the equivalent of AM radio ads, you're really reaching the bottom advertising budget wise...

Has anyone else been so lucky as to see this masterpiece? I wonder if it has pictures of the fly overs that we can expect at this grand international event...I'm assumng there is still no permit.

I also suspect that these two won't last more than one season on Bravo for all those who fear they will cash in on their infamy. It's not like they've gotten any paid engagements in the past six months though we must assume they tried. They really are now social poison in DC, which actually maybe what hurts them the most (it's not like they actually ever had any money). I can't believe the other psuedo-socialite "Housewives" would want anything to do with them. Of course, knowing how intellectually challenged and delusional they are, they probably think America will fall in love with Michelle once it airs (her real name of course - reminds me of when I was 14 and spelled my name Jeniffer to try and distinguish myself from all the other Jennifer's born in the 70's - note I was 14 at the time not 40-something) and all of their problems will be over - not to mention the thousands that will show up at their sham polo event. Of course, they don't realize that really nobody outside of the DC area cares a whit about them, and locally we all just want to see them get indicted for something or at least re-establish debtor's prison....

Posted by: jennifers1 | May 24, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Now THAT'S funny - using buses to advertise a polo match. I presume that Town and Country wasn't available.

Speaking of T&C, I think it was in the March issue that the editor-in-chief made a not so subtle putdown of the Salahis while commenting on last November's state dinner.

By the way, I live far removed from D.C., but have cousins who have lived in Washington for many years, so I try to keep with things on the local scene & find the saga of Tareq & Michaele to be the best free comedy available anywhere.

Posted by: ehsmith1 | May 25, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Holly1971:
I dismissed your prior suspicions re 'Michaele" sort of out of hand.
But, I must honestly admit, with your comments in mind and watching and listening to 'Michaele' this morning on The Today Show, now I've got to say I'm really not so sure after all.
I will stay tuned.