White House Correspondents' Dinner: President Obama cracks wise

If Barack Obama can't get reelected in 2012, at least he'll have his stand-up act to fall back on. Tonight, during his speech at the White House Correspondents' dinner, the president hurled zingers at Arizona Senator John McCain, birthers, and the Jonas Brothers, many of which were pretty funny. He was even bold enough to throw a few barbs at the evening's headliner, comedian Jay Leno, who -- in comparison to the president, at least -- kind of bombed.

Here's a rundown of the president's sharpest quips:

• "I wasn't sure I should actually come tonight. Biden talked me into it. He leaned over to me and said, "Mr. President, this is no ordinary dinner, this is a big BLEEP-ing meal."

• "Its been quite a year since I've spoken here last. Lots of ups, lots of downs, except for my approval ratings, which have just gone down. But that's poltiics, it doesn't bother me. Besides, I happen to know that my approval ratings are still very high in the country of my birth."

• "Though I am glad that the only person whose ratings fell more than mine last year is here tonight. Great to see you Jay. I'm also glad that I'm speaking first. We've all seen what happens when somebody takes the time slot after Leno's."

• "There a few things in life harder to find and more important to keep than love. Well, love and a birth certificate."

• "Jonas Brothers are here, they're out there somewhere. Sasha annd Malia are huge fans, but boys, don't get any ideas. Two words for you: predator drones. You will never see it coming. You think I'm joking?"

• "John McCain couldn't make it. He said he had never identified himself as a maverick. We all know what happens in Arizona when you don't have ID. Adios, amigos."

And here's a few more Correspondents' Dinner-related items:

-Washington Post reporter Jason Horowitz finds "healthy" relations on display at White House Correspondents' Association Dinner

-Photos of Bon Jovi, Al Sharpton, and the JoBros arriving on the scene.

-And check out Reliable Source's pre-party coverage here and here.

• Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By The Reliable Source  |  May 2, 2010; 12:55 AM ET
    Categories:  44: Obama's Washington , White House Correspondents' Association Dinner
    Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: White House Correspondents Dinner: The parade of celebrities begins with the pre-parties
    Next: Jay Leno's routine at the White House Correspondents' Dinner (video)

Comments

Leno REALLY bombed. Those of us watching at home didn't think he was funny. He had a couple of good lines but that was it. President Obama KILLED! I think the WHCA should get a refund and invite Jon Stewart next year or just have the president be the entertainment and use the $ on more scholarships.

Posted by: BruinGirl2001 | May 2, 2010 1:18 AM | Report abuse

BruinGirl2001,
    Totally agree. It's pretty sad when the opener outshines you (who just happens to be the POTUS!). Just another bad move on Leno's part. The President Rocked and Rolled right over Jay, even his timing was better...
    I recorded it and am listening to it again right now. The last straw is when Jay just said, "OK, I think the White House likes to play games with FOX news."
    Can't wait to read the reviews later today.

Posted by: genius17055 | May 2, 2010 3:35 AM | Report abuse

Here's one: I never met a socialists I didn't like. How about, Chavez's economic model isn't really different than mine.
    This is good: Class warfare will seperate the indians from the chiefs.

Posted by: lhudson828 | May 2, 2010 7:29 AM | Report abuse

President "Cracks Empire" you mean.

Saturday was a ‘Perfect Storm’ of Obama confronting corporate oligarchy, corrupt politics, deceitful media and essentially the combined Empire which is killing our country, driving 80% of our 'democracy-thinking' citizens crazy (according to Pew):

Three speeches portend more than a trend, but a "Time to Break the Silence" as MLK said.

Look listen and think hard about this epochal change opportunity for the people and our democracy vs. Empire:

1. Saturday radio address -- available video on WhiteHouse.org and others

2. University of Michigan commencement (reminiscent of JFK's Amer Univ. 6/22/63) -- video on YouTude

3. Correspondents Dinner excoriation and barbs of ruling-elite corporate, political, financial, militarist power --- also YouTube.

I've written more complete analysis on Common Dreams.

Quite a hopeful change, which caught the news cycle sleeping

Alan MacDonald
    Sanford, Maine

Posted by: alanmd | May 2, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Obama's comment about predator drones was just disgusting. He has killed hundreds of innocent people with his drone bombings in Pakistan.

Posted by: dancewater | May 2, 2010 8:42 PM | Report abuse