Love etc.: Wizards announcer Steve Buckhantz to wed

Steve Buckhantz and Shelley Lawrence. (Courtesy of Shelley Lawrence)

Engaged: Steve Buckhantz, 54, to Shelley Lawrence, 43, after a three-year courtship. He's the Wizards' play-by-play announcer -- the guy who put "Dagger!" into your lexicon -- and she's a NoVa real estate agent. No date yet, but it will be the first marriage for him ("I figured I wouldn't rush into things") and the second for the mom of two. He popped the question at Vienna's Cafe Renaissance. "I thought about telling people at the Strasburg game" about the happy news, he told us, "but I didn't want to show the kid up."

By The Reliable Source  |  June 16, 2010; 1:00 AM ET
Categories:  Love, Etc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Quoted: Miley Cyrus, totally not trying to look slutty
Next: Quoted: Elton John on singing at Rush Limbaugh's wedding

Comments

If she's 43, I'm 28.

Posted by: chunche | June 16, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Always thought Buchantz played for the other team.

Posted by: joebenya | June 16, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RestonRocks | June 16, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RestonRocks | June 16, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

"NOOOOOOO...It's not possible!!!!!!!"

On a serious note, good luck and best wishes to them both!

Posted by: JohnWWW | June 16, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

@joebenya - So, when a very successful man is not married at 54, he's obviously got to be 'playing for the other team?' Apparently, you thought wrong - very wrong!I'm glad not everyone is as ignorant as you are.

Posted by: RestonRocks | June 16, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

"@chunche - Yes, it's amazing that she looks that good at 43 ... If I hadn't attended her 40th birthday party (it was awesome) I wouldn't have believed she was 43 either. I'm 45 and wish I looked half as good as she does!"

You must be her best friend...or herself.

That woman is not a day younger than 53.

Posted by: chunche | June 16, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

@chunche - Neither. Just a friend that knows both of them and is 100% sure she's 43 ... The picture is not very good ... Google her ...

Posted by: RestonRocks | June 16, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

DAGGER! (to his happiness, bank account and mental health) ...

Congrats Buck-$. I will save a spot for you at Camelot should you come back to your senses.

Posted by: jk1492 | June 16, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Buckhantz for forty-3... GOT IT!!!

Backbreaker, but congrats Buck.

Posted by: BenzoTim | June 16, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

"The picture is not very good ... Google her"

OK, I'll take your word for it. She does need a better hairdo though.

Posted by: chunche | June 16, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Can you just be happy for the guy and leave out the comments about her age and hair? and just because a person waits to get married does not mean he maybe playing on the other team. Some people have to do it three or four times before they find the one for them. Luckly, he is going to do it right the first time. All the best to both of them.

Posted by: browneyes1 | June 16, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Dagger!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: tsbrul1 | June 16, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT!!!!!

Posted by: Diego1115 | June 16, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Interesting that you make it sound like "playing for the other team" is a bad thing which needs to be defended.

Come on NoVA, DC and surrounding areas, step into the 21st Century and give your prejudices a rest.

Same for the cracks about Shelley's appearance. She's perfectly beautiful and your insensitive comments compel those how know her to defend her against your innuendo. What's it to you?!

Why do people take such liberties and pot shots at others on these forums? Do you think they won't read these comments? Do you think that they don't have feelings?

Best wishes to Steve and Shelley. May you enjoy a long and happy life together. You make a lovely couple and Steve, I'm sure she was worth the wait.

Posted by: whatsupwiththat | June 16, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Joe Gibbs saw the wedding announcement in Playboy and laughed.

Posted by: mstov | June 16, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Not possible!

Posted by: BO_____Stinks | June 17, 2010 12:05 AM | Report abuse

How many people can find love in mid-life. Both Shelley and Steve are loving, warm, considerate and caring to each other. Everyone should be pleased that they found one another...Steve, sometimes one must wait to find the perfect mate. You did, and I wish you both a wonderful life together. Invite me to the wedding!!!

Posted by: loveandlaugh | June 18, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to him and his bride to be! He lives around the corner from us and has had many girlfriends over the years - good for him waiting for the 'one that is right"....we wish him all the best and happiness!

Posted by: zippyz | June 20, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse