Read this: Salahis have their polo event on the Mall, believe it or not

(The Washington Post)

Go figure. They're still under federal and state investigation, and many of their advertised sponsors say they have nothing to do with them, but White House gate crashers Tareq and Michaele Salahi managed to host their polo event at West Potomac Park on Saturday. Unclear how many of the people there had actually paid for their tickets, and the silent-auction items weren't getting bid on. Neely Tucker was there, so go read his story. You can also view a gallery of all the weirdness here.

By The Reliable Source  |  June 13, 2010; 1:43 PM ET
Categories:  Real Housewives of D.C. , White House crashers
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Quoted: Alvin Greene's campaign fundraising strategy?
Next: Quoted: Teresa Giudice of N.J. "Housewives" reassures fans it's just TV, not reality

Comments

Why do I have this vision of flies circling carrion every time I see these two?

Posted by: ehsmith1 | June 13, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

The America’s Polo Cup is one of the worlds most prestigious sporting and cultural experiences and is equally
The Polo match attracts thousands of people who enjoy the event in a variety of options with ticketing &
We attract successful, educated and premier clientele and senior level government officialls annually

Posted by: LAWPOOL | June 13, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Sorry about the prior post. I was copying and pasting from the America's Polo Cup [APC] website and, before I was finished, it somehow got posted. My mistake, I suppose.

I won't set forth all I was going to, but simply make the following observations.

APC website: One of the worlds [sic] most prestigious sporting and cultural experiences.

2010 "Event": Popeyes fried chicken.

APC website: The polo match attracts thousands of people.

2010 "Event": Maybe 250, at most.

APC website: We attract successful, educated and premier clientele.

2010 "Event": Trophy presenters-- two "models" who play on Baltimore's female "lingerie footbal team" [??? I don't know either and don't want to.]

2010 advertised "sponsor": "I don't know what world he [Salahi] is living in."

Tareq & Michaele, the gift that keeps on giving, sort of like that bad rash from summer camp.

You know, you just couldn't make this stuff up.

Posted by: LAWPOOL | June 13, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Join our Facebook page Tell the White House Party Crashers to Go Away:

Posted by: seraphina2 | June 14, 2010 1:24 AM | Report abuse

One suspects that they will be dining on those polo ponies sometime in the future.

Posted by: ehsmith1 | June 14, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

ehsmith1:

Not until the leftover Popeyes chicken runs out.

Posted by: LAWPOOL | June 14, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

True true, LAWPOOL. They'll be gagging their way through chicken for a while.

Now THAT'S what you call a high-class polo meet when Popeye's caters it for you.

Posted by: ehsmith1 | June 14, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

If you want to get even with the parents of a 6 year old, you give the kid a kitten. So if you want to get even with the parents of a 16 year old, do you give the kid a (polo) pony?

Just because you aren't supposed to look a gift horse in the mouth doesn't mean you shouldn't insist on a full soundness exam and some xrays.

Posted by: thingsfallapart | June 14, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Now, don't make fund of those trophy-presenting lingerie models, remember, one of them said that the trophy given away was worth $20,000.

But wait, even if all 250 guests paid $95 to get in (and they likely didn't) the total take for the event would have been $23,750. Wow, a full 85% of the door receipts went to fund the trophy! I hope the remaining $3,750 covered all the other expenses of setting up tents, moving horses around, and flying in some Pakistanis from Florida who would pretend to be the Indian team.

Hmmm, maybe that $20,000 trophy is a little like Tareq's Patek Philippe watch or Michaele's cheerleading career. The trophy is probably just styrofoam covered in gold colored foil, much like the Salahis themselves.

Posted by: growler55 | June 14, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

ehsmith1:

Now, don't get me wrong. I do, now and then, actually enjoy Popeye's fried chicken. For fast food, it seems to be a fairly good product.

Just not sure if I were to spend $95 to $200 for a single ticket to a "presitgous" and "unique cultural" "international event" featuring that widely known as the "sport of kings", I'd be entirely satisfied with fast food fried chicken that I could get for 3 or 4 bucks at any number of places along any interstate.

Let's not beat up on Popeye's just because they might have been snookered by this couple.

But is is funny as hell. I don't think anyone could have made this stuff up in their wildest imagination. It just gets curiouser and curiouser.

My opinion.

Posted by: LAWPOOL | June 14, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

I certainly wouldn't beat up on Popeye's to begin with. Still, you would think the horsey set at a polo match would prefer something a bit more haute cuisine, and I just can't picture them eating fast food fried chicken, nor do I picture them approving of lingerie football players presenting a trophy of questionable provenance.

Posted by: ehsmith1 | June 14, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

ehsmith1:

You have a point; but the fact of the matter is that most with any sense of the "horsey set" and the recognized "polo set" [and I'll be the first to admit from personal and professional experience there are a lot of deadbeats, hangers-on and wannabes in both of those groups], actually distanced themselves from the Salahis even before the 2009 "America's Polo Cup".

I tend to suspect that most of the very small number of people attending the 2010 "event" were probably given gratis tickets, and the rest were just too naiive [stupid?] to realize what they were buying into.

Just my opinion.

"Love that chicken from Popeye's!"

Posted by: LAWPOOL | June 14, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse