Redskin Devin Thomas has a star turn, off the playing field, as The Cute Guy in a new Fantasia video

Cleans up pretty good: Devin Thomas in his acting debut, with Fantasia, in her new video for "Bittersweet," to be released on VEVO.com Friday. (Ben Hider/Courtesy of J Records)

UPDATED June 28 with the new video

It's not enough just to be a pro athlete anymore. If a baller wants superstardom, he's got to go multimedia.

Devin Thomas might have found a more dignified route than going on "Dancing With the Stars" or marrying a Kardashian -- the Redskins wide receiver stars with Fantasia in her new music video, "Bittersweet," set for release Friday. How'd he get cast? Well . . . look at him!

Thomas at his day job: After the Eagles game in October 2009. (Jonathan Newton/The Washington Post)

"She just needed a young sexy man in her video, and my name came up," Thomas, 23, told our colleague Dan Steinberg.

He had never met the 2004 "American Idol" winner before their one-day shoot at an N.Y.C. theater, but he said they had no trouble generating chemistry for the cameras. "It was like we had dated before or something. It was kind of weird, but it kind of happens like that. When you meet somebody that's cool, down-to-earth, and you just know you've got to play a certain role, you just fall into the role."

Small world: Turns out newly signed Skins running back Larry Johnson also starred as The Cute Guy in a Fantasia video (2007's "When I See U"), while he was playing for Kansas City. "They needed a replacement, so they called me, and they said, 'Hey, do you want to come down and do this video shoot?' " Johnson told Steinberg. "I literally rolled out of bed and went down there. I was like, hey, all right."

"We've just got that charm," Thomas said of the Redskins-Fantasia thing.

"She's knocking 'em down," Johnson quipped.

Regardless of how Thomas does in his acting debut, his teammates are prepared to make fun of him. "As soon as I see the video, I'm getting on him," Santana Moss joked. "Me personally, if it was something I'm getting some money off of, [maybe I'd do a video], but if I ain't making no money off it, I don't need to be out there."

The video is finally out. It's very sad! Fantasia seems so heartbroken. Also, it doesn't really show us quite enough of Devin Thomas's face.

By The Reliable Source  |  June 21, 2010; 1:03 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Love, etc.: Swedish royal wedding (photos)
Next: Quoted: Mike Huckabee's joke about Nancy Pelosi and Helen Thomas

Comments

The link to this story indicates that Thomas and Fantasia are married.

Posted by: linroy62 | June 21, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

I think Devin Thomas has a big future as an actor considering that he as been acting in the wide receiver position for the Redskins for the past 2 seasons. It's amazing that these young guys just don't get it. How about concentrating on your day job and getting at least competent at your position before going Hollywood. This is the same person who had trouble learning the pass routes. According to mini camp news he hasn't exactly set the world on fire for his new coach (note the acquisition of old Joey Galloway) I don't know who is advising Thomas, but they had better tell him the NFL stands for "not for long" if you don't concentrate all your energyon being the best you can.

Posted by: JAMNEW | June 21, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

JUST IN: Fantasia was forced to use a replacement model. Devin Thomas went the wrong way en route to the shoot.

Posted by: MadeRED | June 21, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

You guys really want to waste another season on this guy? He spends too much time at the salons, and doing this crap instead of getting his head in the books.

Anyone has Owens' cell number?

Posted by: Warpath85nIRAQ | June 21, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, linroy62 -- don't know what the heck that was about. Got them to fix it before either Devin or Fantasia could call to complain.

Posted by: The Reliable Source | June 21, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

no way that's fantasia in that picture.

Posted by: MrsKirby | June 22, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Jamnew and madeRED, thanks for making me laugh out loud (at work) with the hilarious (and true) comments!!

Walfunk..Redskins Fan

Posted by: damn1 | June 22, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

NFL players have a short shelf life. If he has the potential to be an actor like Dwayne "The Rock", Terry Crews, or Jim Brown and to a lesser extent Bryan Bosworth, he should go for it. He hasn't missed any OTAs or mini-camps so y'all should stop complaining.

I'm sure many of you have a side gig/hobby other than your regular day-job.

Or am I the only one that worked a job during the day and played in a band at night?

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | June 23, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

We may not always play well, but we look good doing it.

Posted by: unquiltom | June 27, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Your kiddin me ... right ??? Talk about runnin the wrong route !!!

Posted by: EFitz1000aolcom | June 29, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

You kiddin me ... right ??? Talk about runnin the wrong route !!!

Posted by: EFitz1000aolcom | June 29, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

get off the guy's back. what he does in offseason and who he does it with is NONE of your business. aside from that, the kid showed his potential last season and can explode as a star in 2010. let it be...

Posted by: dcjazzman | June 30, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse